Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,346 of 5,854
I should have prefaced that my audition of the LCD2 vs LCD3 was rather limited. I've had the LCD2 on loan for more extended periods in the past, but the comparison with the LCD3 was done in a meet setting. 

The immediate impression when I put on the LCD3 was that it felt more "shouty". I tried this several times with different songs and I could tell within seconds. The upper midrange felt pronounced and sharp compared to the LCD2, like the vocals were forcing their way into my ear (an exaggeration of course). This tonal difference was strong enough to distract me from much else. I'll give that the bass felt better on the LCD3, but the seal and comfort (I really like the LCD3 pads) was much better as well so I figure that was part of the attribute. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,347 of 5,854
Quote:
I should have prefaced that my audition of the LCD2 vs LCD3 was rather limited. I've had the LCD2 on loan for more extended periods in the past, but the comparison with the LCD3 was done in a meet setting. 

The immediate impression when I put on the LCD3 was that it felt more "shouty". I tried this several times with different songs and I could tell within seconds. The upper midrange felt pronounced and sharp compared to the LCD2, like the vocals were forcing their way into my ear (an exaggeration of course). This tonal difference was strong enough to distract me from much else. I'll give that the bass felt better on the LCD3, but the seal and comfort (I really like the LCD3 pads) was much better as well so I figure that was part of the attribute. 

Sorry, but you're gonna have to preface the amp/dac you used? While an upstream setup may work brilliantly for the LCD-2s, there is no guarantee for the LCD-3s. On say the Schiit Lyr, the differences aren't that wide as the Lyr/LCD-3s aren't a great match. But on say a LF, WA22, B22, or GS-X, the differences are far more pronounced. 

Comfort wise all heads are different, so that's hard to comment on, but most prefer the softer LCD-3 pads for comfort. But as I said, all heads are different so comfort is a very personal thing.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3,348 of 5,854
Quote:

Thanks. That's good to hear since brighter headphones normally do better in the background noise at a meet. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #3,349 of 5,854
Quote:
Sorry, but you're gonna have to preface the amp/dac you used? 

balanced:
Schiit Mjolnir + Gungnir

fake balanced:
Nuforce HDP + Icon2,  through a speaker tap

singled ended:
Nuforce DAC-100 + Nuforce HAP-100 (also played with damping factor here)
Schiit Asgard2 + (I lost track, but I think the Bifrost)

Some of the songs used:
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
Slayer - Criminally Insane
Livingston Taylor - Grandma's Hands
Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious
James Blake - Limit To Your Love

edit: and I have no idea what the serial # of the LCD3 was

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,350 of 5,854
Quote:

balanced:
Schiit Mjolnir + Gungnir

fake balanced:
Nuforce HDP + Icon2,  through a speaker tap

singled ended:
Nuforce DAC-100 + Nuforce HAP-100 (also played with damping factor here)
Schiit Asgard2 + (I lost track, but I think the Bifrost)

Some of the songs used:
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
Slayer - Criminally Insane
Livingston Taylor - Grandma's Hands
Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious
James Blake - Limit To Your Love

edit: and I have no idea what the serial # of the LCD3 was

I haven't tried to confirm, but David said in his review that Audeze generates the serial #'s at random.  If true, then it doesn't really matter what the number is.  I do know that they keep the database of SN's to confirm you own a legitimate headphone (they asked for one before they'd send me a pair of replacement pads for my LCD-3).

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,351 of 5,854
Oh, well I inserted the serial # comment because I've read that some LCD3's (particularly the earlier ones) have had issues. Well, I suppose that's true ot the LCD2's as well. I'm just making a note that I do not know how old those LCD3's were. 

The LCD2's I heard today were different than ones I've heard in the past; they were more forward in the midrange, while the other pair I heard was darker. I do not know how old today's LCD2 was, though I do know it had been RMA'd at one point.

Some of the shoutiness I heard in the LCD3 can be attributed to the Schiit stack, but it was also heard on other amps. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,352 of 5,854
Quote:
Sorry, but you're gonna have to preface the amp/dac you used? While an upstream setup may work brilliantly for the LCD-2s, there is no guarantee for the LCD-3s. On say the Schiit Lyr, the differences aren't that wide as the Lyr/LCD-3s aren't a great match. But on say a LF, WA22, B22, or GS-X, the differences are far more pronounced. 

Comfort wise all heads are different, so that's hard to comment on, but most prefer the softer LCD-3 pads for comfort. But as I said, all heads are different so comfort is a very personal thing.

And maybe LF, WA22, B22, or GS-X are not a great match for LCD-2..

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #3,353 of 5,854
OK help me out here. 

I now dislike the HD650's
I love the Alessandro ms-Pros

What is a middle ground? 

im thinking HE, 500's? 

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #3,354 of 5,854
Quote:
OK help me out here. 

I now dislike the HD650's
I love the Alessandro ms-Pros

What is a middle ground? 

im thinking HE, 500's? 

Nah, HE500 is too close to HD650 in tonality for your liking. Tell us what you dislike about HD650, and what you like about MS-Pros. Those are important for anyone to give you meaningful recommendations since HD650s and MS-Pros are such polar opposites in every sonic aspect.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #3,355 of 5,854
Quote:

Nah, HE500 is too close to HD650 in tonality for your liking. Tell us what you dislike about HD650, and what you like about MS-Pros. Those are important for anyone to give you meaningful recommendations since HD650s and MS-Pros are such polar opposites in every sonic aspect.

Dislike how laid back the HD650's are. I like how they are not fatiguing.....(Im kind of after something like this, but not as laid back, but with a bigger sound stage)
I love the MS-Pro energy, and airiness. I dislike the sound-stage, and feel they need more weight in the sound? they are fatiguing 

if that makes sense. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3,356 of 5,854
Quote:

LF is lafigaro 339 right? Well..i tried the lcd 2.2 with my DV 337 (sister of 339) and didnt like it pairing..i preferred the hd650 and he500 better..but i did like them pairing perfectly with te v200 though..both of the lcd..and have to be honest..the lcd was the better headphone..but difference of sq is not worth the difference in price..just like it is with the he500 and he6..BUT..something very special is coming from hifiman..
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #3,358 of 5,854
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #3,359 of 5,854
Quote:
Well, preproman and I owned both (Darryl still has both I think) and there is no question the LCD-3s are the better cans between the two. While he prefers the HE-6s over the LCD-3s, for me, its the other way around, no question (and thus I no longer own them).

I sold the LCD-2.2 about two days after the LCD-3 landed.  Right off the bat I could tell the LCD-3s was the superior headphone.  To my ears they fixed all the issues I had with the LCD-2.2.  

Right now the LCD-3 and the HD00 are tied for my second favorite headphone.  Since the GS-X mk landed the HD800s have been getting the majority of the headtime though.  They're just a great match.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #3,360 of 5,854
Quote:

I sold the LCD-2.2 about two days after the LCD-3 landed.  Right off the bat I could tell the LCD-3s was the superior headphone.  To my ears they fixed all the issues I had with the LCD-2.2.  

Right now the LCD-3 and the HD00 are tied for my second favorite headphone.  Since the GS-X mk landed the HD800s have been getting the majority of the headtime though.  They're just a great match.

Whats ur first favorite headphone?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back