Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #2,086 of 5,854
Double post..again..my ipad is haunted i think :xf_eek:

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,087 of 5,854
Quote:
"The XBA-4 can sound a bit sharp with most popular music"

What do you mean by sharp?

That means they can make you squint cringe and flinch at the same time :)

Seriously though, it means the highs (presumably?) might be a bit too pronounced/harsh/even sibilant with modern music, which is tilted to the brighter side slightly

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #2,088 of 5,854
Quote:
Double post..again..my ipad is haunted i think
redface.gif

U re nt alone bro :D

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2,089 of 5,854
Well I just have to post my todays experience...

[size=small]Ok so the Emotiva finally came in and it would seem I managed to kill it :/[/size]
[size=small] I plugged it in using the original power supply cable that came with a and run it through a transformator which was supposed to convert the 230V (standard EU current) to the American 115V.[/size]
[size=small] Well either I did something wrong or it simply didnt work. I think I did switch the AC voltage switch to 230V just to make sure... but I am not sure.[/size]
[size=small] I didnt think it through.... Simply put and either way, the transformator simply didnt convert the voltage so I assume the Emotiva was fed 230 into 115 mode...[/size]
[size=small] The Emo went on the blue LED came on but then after 3 secs or so  a flash of lightning appeared insde the Emo (as if it short-circuited) and went dead and never came back...[/size]
[size=small] I then tried direct European power suplies which I plugged into the Emo (now firmly set to 230V - I checked this at that point) but it was no use...[/size]
[size=small] I wished there was some sort of protection but if there was it didnt react in time...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] UPDATE - I really did it... Too bad I didnt just switch to 230V right away... too bad I just had to try that blaster transformator...[/size]
[size=small] Which brings me to my new numberr.1 rule - 1) never trust those blasted transformater[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I even had my hair cut for this purpose! 
eek.gif
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Now, it should take a few (if only diode/s are burnt) up to 14 days (if the torroidial transformer suffered as well)...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Here is where I am getting them fixed - http://www.tubesound.cz/eng/index.html (click english up left :))[/size]
[size=small] They have tube amps/preamps, etc and they can fix "anything" acording to the wise ld man that is doing my repairs (which should be max 50 bucks)[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Just my horrible experience today...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]

Oh well that thing in the middle has gone on a vacation to the RepairIsland... But it had its 3 shocking seconds of glory :D
[/size]

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,090 of 5,854
Quote:
I think he means the 140 pages of comments haha.

Doh! I knew that
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Nice review.
Your thread made me buy a HE-400
beyersmile.png

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.

Awesome! Thanks!
Quote:
Thank you VERY MUCH for your excellent reviews! The completeness and detail of the reviews are only enhanced by the polish put on the presentation (copyediting, layout, imagery). I'm very happy I got my hands on a pair of Denon 7000s now, but your reviews are making me ever so slightly itch for the HE-500, d@rn you!
frown.gif

tongue.gif

Hahha! :)
Quote:
Oh yeah sorry,  I meant I read the review and all 140 pages of comments.

Doh! again
Quote:
This thread is a respectful laboring achievement but unfortunately nothing more than that. I as many other people here don't agree about many conclusions. I also have to point out that a test/review of this kind should be administered using a panel with listeners (at least 10 people) in order for it to be anywhere near objective. Waste of time, IMHO. Please, don't make a PDF.

I will be making a PDF because I have been asked very often for one.  But you don't have to download it.

Quote:
I was hoping we were all going to be smart enough to ignore him, when someone posts rude comments like that, they are just looking for a reaction. David amazing work, I absolutely love my SE535's but being so low on your list I am now curious and ready to argue with the wife, thanks a lot lol.

Haha, buy her flowers the day you take the plunge.... it works i tel ya:)
Quote:
"The XBA-4 can sound a bit sharp with most popular music"

What do you mean by sharp?

Conquerator2 nails it below.  I will add that it just seems a hint metallic and this attribute sticks out most when dealing with the metallic percussion.
Quote:

That means they can make you squint cringe and flinch at the same time :)

Seriously though, it means the highs (presumably?) might be a bit too pronounced/harsh/even sibilant with modern music, which is tilted to the brighter side slightly

:thumbs up:
Quote:
Well I just have to post my todays experience...

[size=small]Ok so the Emotiva finally came in and it would seem I managed to kill it :/[/size]
[size=small] I plugged it in using the original power supply cable that came with a and run it through a transformator which was supposed to convert the 230V (standard EU current) to the American 115V.[/size]
[size=small] Well either I did something wrong or it simply didnt work. I think I did switch the AC voltage switch to 230V just to make sure... but I am not sure.[/size]
[size=small] I didnt think it through.... Simply put and either way, the transformator simply didnt convert the voltage so I assume the Emotiva was fed 230 into 115 mode...[/size]
[size=small] The Emo went on the blue LED came on but then after 3 secs or so  a flash of lightning appeared insde the Emo (as if it short-circuited) and went dead and never came back...[/size]
[size=small] I then tried direct European power suplies which I plugged into the Emo (now firmly set to 230V - I checked this at that point) but it was no use...[/size]
[size=small] I wished there was some sort of protection but if there was it didnt react in time...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] UPDATE - I really did it... Too bad I didnt just switch to 230V right away... too bad I just had to try that blaster transformator...[/size]
[size=small] Which brings me to my new numberr.1 rule - 1) never trust those blasted transformater[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I even had my hair cut for this purpose! 
eek.gif
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Now, it should take a few (if only diode/s are burnt) up to 14 days (if the torroidial transformer suffered as well)...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Here is where I am getting them fixed - http://www.tubesound.cz/eng/index.html (click english up left :))[/size]
[size=small] They have tube amps/preamps, etc and they can fix "anything" acording to the wise ld man that is doing my repairs (which should be max 50 bucks)[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Just my horrible experience today...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]

Oh well that thing in the middle has gone on a vacation to the RepairIsland... But it had its 3 shocking seconds of glory :D
[/size]

That sucks!!! But its easily fixable!

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2,091 of 5,854
Quote:
That sucks!!! But its easily fixable!

It better be :D I ve been waiting for this thing forever and when it finally arrived the first thing I knew was that it is gone again...

Fingers crossed for a fast repair... and thanks :D

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,092 of 5,854
David, I know you must be terribly busy, but I would love to hear your opinions of the Beyer DT-990 if you ever get the chance.

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,093 of 5,854
Quote:
David, I know you must be terribly busy, but I would love to hear your opinions of the Beyer DT-990 if you ever get the chance.

Thanks.

I really like them.  They're like a DT880 that has been tuned for more treble and bass (U-Shaped EQ).  Consequently, I don't prefer them to the DT880, but they are fun headphone and they serve listeners who are looking for a bit more slam than the DT880 can offer.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,094 of 5,854
More I listen the HD800 more I love it. I found him so natural, it put me just throught the music.
It is so comfortable that I can wear it for hour and hour. I wait for Beta 22, it will be a total overkill.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2,095 of 5,854
Quote:
More I listen the HD800 more I love it. I found him so natural, it put me just throught the music.
It is so comfortable that I can wear it for hour and hour. I wait for Beta 22, it will be a total overkill.

The HD800 are like a pet.... the more you love them, the more they love you back......

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,096 of 5,854
Jan 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,098 of 5,854
Quote:

Not overkill at all.  It's many ways to have the B22 configured.  You may want a 2 channel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back