Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,591 of 5,854
Quote:
Hey if you can afford either of those amps, then surely you can afford to throw another HE500 in to drive your HE500. I can picture it now. One set of cans sitting on top of the other. Two cans on each ear!

It's a small adaptation on the famous HD650-on-HD800 mod that exploded here some months ago, I think!

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,592 of 5,854
Quote:

HE500s driven off of HE500s are very well-regarded here 
biggrin.gif

HA! knew i should be sleeping!  but hey if you could drive a headphone with itself, thatd be pretty impressive, wouldn't it!?

I meant....Phonitor:)

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,593 of 5,854
It's not too far fetched for me, anyway. I use a D7000 to drive my D7000.
popcorn.gif

Vintage 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 > Denon D7000 Zeus 4x22 awg xlr-balanced.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,594 of 5,854
Quote:
It's a small adaptation on the famous HD650-on-HD800 mod that exploded here some months ago, I think!

Oh god, don't remind me of that! I even tried it out >.<

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,595 of 5,854
Oh god, don't remind me of that! I even tried it out >.<

Your losing it !
Well I have the HD800s on their way to me . I have heard so much good stuff about them and was wanting a phone that offered a completely different sound to my LCD2'S. After looking at the grados , in particular the HF2 and the GS1000 were up for grabs, and the HE 500, which was based on David's write up, I realised I was comparing the sound stage and detail retrieval of the others against the HD800. Until I get a pair I will never know what they're like.
Having said that I suspect that I will 1 day get a Grado.
A meet will obviously give me a chance to have a listen to a grado or 2. But some of you headfiers have had them for years. That is arguably more valuable than going into a shop or a meet and listening for 5 minutes especially if you have no direct comparison available at the time.
Has anyone got an HF2 or GS1000 or GS1000i and also got LCD2'S?
If so, do they compete in sound quality? Or are they a league below?
Value for money isn't really a factor for me. I wouldn't be able to buy a new GS1000 or HF2 after all

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,600 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks!

Right now, I have them plugged balanced into the 307a.  It sounds very good this way.  And it sounded good with the Woo5 as well.  

Right now, I don't recall my detailed impression of the HE-500 when paired with the Phonitor.  I recall being happy with it.  I tend to be more of a tube guy in the end, so its rare that I will prefer a solid state over tube (though it DOES happen more frequently than I'm probably aware of).  I recall feeling that the HE-500 were very spacious with the HE-500.  Once I picked the two amps I preferred most, I did the majority of my impressions using the two amps.  If you don't mind the wait, at some point in the next few weeks I could do some critical listening of the HE-500 with the Phonitor and give you more detailed impressions.  Just remind me:) 

Groovy.  I'm in no rush. Send you a ping once you're finished with your HE-400 review.

What's also interesting is that the Phonitor is chosen as a preferred amp for the HP1000, Fostex TH900 and D7000's.  Both being low Ohm headphones powered by an amp with a 'high' input output impedance.  Goes against the whole dampening factor theory and shows that the combination CAN and DOES work.  I like your gusto. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 A man that trusts his ears David is.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #1,601 of 5,854
Quote:
Your losing it !
Well I have the HD800s on their way to me . I have heard so much good stuff about them and was wanting a phone that offered a completely different sound to my LCD2'S. After looking at the grados , in particular the HF2 and the GS1000 were up for grabs, and the HE 500, which was based on David's write up, I realised I was comparing the sound stage and detail retrieval of the others against the HD800. Until I get a pair I will never know what they're like.
Having said that I suspect that I will 1 day get a Grado.
A meet will obviously give me a chance to have a listen to a grado or 2. But some of you headfiers have had them for years. That is arguably more valuable than going into a shop or a meet and listening for 5 minutes especially if you have no direct comparison available at the time.
Has anyone got an HF2 or GS1000 or GS1000i and also got LCD2'S?
If so, do they compete in sound quality? Or are they a league below?
Value for money isn't really a factor for me. I wouldn't be able to buy a new GS1000 or HF2 after all

Have the HF2 and the LCD2Rev2,and also the the HE500.
At the moment I prefer the HF2 as they don't represent the typical Grado sound with "piercing"treble(as I prefer "dark"headphones)and compared to the Audeze and Hifiman they might be technically not on the same level,but they do have a "magic"sound which keeps you engaged with the music at all times!
My ranking right now:HF2 - LCD2 - HE500
Have to add that I listen to the Grados SE and the other two in balanced mode....and still for my ears, the HF2 can compete just nicely!
Also,have sold some balanced HD650 as they didn't get any headtime any more!

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,602 of 5,854
Quote:
Groovy.  I'm in no rush. Send you a ping once you're finished with your HE-400 review.

What's also interesting is that the Phonitor is chosen as a preferred amp for the HP1000, Fostex TH900 and D7000's.  Both being low Ohm headphones powered by an amp with a 'high' input impedance.  Goes against the whole dampening factor theory and shows that the combination CAN and DOES work.  I like your gusto. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 A man that trusts his ears David is.

Thanks,

Not only that, but there are times when using amps with switchable impedance that I'll use low impedance setting with a high impedance headphone and vice versa.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,604 of 5,854
Quote:
Don't drink and post.

HA! it depends on the headphone.  With regards to the 307a I actually find that the HD800 sounds better on a low impedance setting and the R10 bass heavy sounds better on the high impedance setting usually.  The differences are very VERY small though.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,605 of 5,854
It's not too far fetched for me, anyway. I use a D7000 to drive my D7000.
:popcorn:

Vintage 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 > Denon D7000 Zeus 4x22 awg xlr-balanced.

Damn ur smart..lolz.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back