The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #12,903 of 12,992
I've come full circle trying a few very high end headphones and have now sold them all and came back to my LCD X. Unless I tried the Abyss TC I don't think there's anything that can beat them unless I'm missing something. It's wild.

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #12,904 of 12,992
I've come full circle trying a few very high end headphones and have now sold them all and came back to my LCD X. Unless I tried the Abyss TC I don't think there's anything that can beat them unless I'm missing something. It's wild.
No you're not missing much indeed. I have the Abyss and lcd4z and the abyss is on a different level for sure, but can't take much of boost like the audeze ones. You just need to play with the fit to get the most bass out of it. I started with sz2000 and th900 and still listen to them. Especially the th900 gets a lot of head time. It's just a total different bass than planar and so addictive as well in a different way

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #12,905 of 12,992
No you're not missing much indeed. I have the Abyss and lcd4z and the abyss is on a different level for sure, but can't take much of boost like the audeze ones. You just need to play with the fit to get the most bass out of it. I started with sz2000 and th900 and still listen to them. Especially the th900 gets a lot of head time. It's just a total different bass than planar and so addictive as well in a different way
I may have to try those then. I wouldn't mind having a closed pair of bass monsters

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #12,907 of 12,992
I recently got a WA33 and listened to the th900 mk2 on it and I was pleasantly surprised that they scaled really well. The synergy is very good, I guess similarly to why the Abyss 1266 has great synergy with this amp.

Th900 mk2 sound amazing with this amp and it’s why I’m keeping it along with the 1266, love that dynamic bass. Details, soundstage, are improved and upper range is slightly toned down so it’s not as harsh.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #12,908 of 12,992
I've chased the bass in a lot of headphones (see below) but prefer not to EQ if possible. The whompiest bass I've found is in IEMs like the Empire Ears Legend EVO and 64 Audio Volur, many of which employ bone conduction drivers or other technologies to really turbocharge bass and sub-bass frequencies without occluding the mids and highs. Of course bass quality in IEMs is very fit dependant. But, with a snug fit, they can produce the thunder we all crave--the kind you can feel as well as hear.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #12,909 of 12,992
I've chased the bass in a lot of headphones (see below) but prefer not to EQ if possible. The whompiest bass I've found is in IEMs like the Empire Ears Legend EVO and 64 Audio Volur, many of which employ bone conduction drivers or other technologies to really turbocharge bass and sub-bass frequencies without occluding the mids and highs. Of course bass quality in IEMs is very fit dependant. But, with a snug fit, they can produce the thunder we all crave--the kind you can feel as well as hear.

Agreed, purely for bass, IEMs like Legend EVO, Legend X, and XE6 are hard to beat, which is why I still own my XE6. For the full sound experience though, gotta go with headphones.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #12,910 of 12,992
How's the bass' quantity compared to the TH900?
Bass quantity is not the only feature that makes a headphone slam. Some drivers just have more dynamic slam even when the bass quantity is low. I have never heard a planar that can produce the same amount of dynamic slam as a focal or Fostex or zmf regardless of the bass quantity.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #12,912 of 12,992
Someone had posted earlier in the burger 🍔 thread about a hard hitting burger loaded with thick onions and velvety mayo.. I’m not sure how that feeds into bass guitar but there’s supposed to be some kind of a connection between hamburgers and mayonnaise

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #12,913 of 12,992
Someone had posted earlier in the burger 🍔 thread about a hard hitting burger loaded with thick onions and velvety mayo.. I’m not sure how that feeds into bass guitar but there’s supposed to be some kind of a connection between hamburgers and mayonnaise
????

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #12,914 of 12,992
Bass quantity is not the only feature that makes a headphone slam. Some drivers just have more dynamic slam even when the bass quantity is low. I have never heard a planar that can produce the same amount of dynamic slam as a focal or Fostex or zmf regardless of the bass quantity.
I've hear one planars that can do this. It's Fiio FT5. Thats why i have them. They smash stronger than my other 2 bass masters i have

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #12,915 of 12,992
Why would you not prefer to EQ? I’ve always been curious as to why some people go this route. It always interests me because it seems it would only increase your experience with any given headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back