The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #12,571 of 12,992
This put a big smile on my face.

900i.jpg

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #12,572 of 12,992
Does anyone know if there is a music recommendation thread or the like in the forums here for those that like bass? I might start one if not, but wouldnt know which sub forum to use.

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #12,573 of 12,992
Feb 20, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #12,574 of 12,992
Kennerton Gjallahorn GH50 and GH50 JM are confirmed as awesome basshead cans. I’ve had SZ2K, THX00, EMu Teak, and some other noteworthy sets such as Elear, Ananda, and M1570C. I boost up to +22 db at 20 Hz using a Loki and ifi amp with XBass, but mostly just a jot2 and Loki these days for +12 dB.

Out of everything I’ve ever heard, the GH50 JM has the most stock bass quantity and speed. It hits really really well, the slam is better than anything I’ve heard, throughout the entire frequency range. By far the best headphone I’ve heard for EDM. The OG GH50 has about +4 dB in the bass region by comparison, which must make it easily one of the best choices for bass if you don’t EQ.

I just returned my open box GH50 JM to Audio46 since I decided it would be worth it to get a brand new set straight from Russia. $185 for shipping via DHL, but should only be 9 days total, and they have a sale going right now that basically makes the shipping free, as long as you play and win tic tac toe. Russians. If anyone stateside wants to try the GH50 JM, the open box should be available again in a few days. Highly recommended, I only need a few dB f boost to get it where I like it. Everything else I’ve had required at least +10 for me, except maybe the THX00. I’d definitely put the GH above anything biodynamic for stock though, and the other audiophile stuff is far better as well (soundstage, imaging, yada yada).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #12,575 of 12,992
Kennerton Gjallahorn GH50 and GH50 JM are confirmed as awesome basshead cans. I’ve had SZ2K, THX00, EMu Teak, and some other noteworthy sets such as Elear, Ananda, and M1570C. I boost up to +22 db at 20 Hz using a Loki and ifi amp with XBass, but mostly just a jot2 and Loki these days for +12 dB.

Out of everything I’ve ever heard, the GH50 JM has the most stock bass quantity and speed. It hits really really well, the slam is better than anything I’ve heard, throughout the entire frequency range. By far the best headphone I’ve heard for EDM. The OG GH50 has about +4 dB in the bass region by comparison, which must make it easily one of the best choices for bass if you don’t EQ.

I just returned my open box GH50 JM to Audio46 since I decided it would be worth it to get a brand new set straight from Russia. $185 for shipping via DHL, but should only be 9 days total, and they have a sale going right now that basically makes the shipping free, as long as you play and win tic tac toe. Russians. If anyone stateside wants to try the GH50 JM, the open box should be available again in a few days. Highly recommended, I only need a few dB f boost to get it where I like it. Everything else I’ve had required at least +10 for me, except maybe the THX00. I’d definitely put the GH above anything biodynamic for stock though, and the other audiophile stuff is far better as well (soundstage, imaging, yada yada).
Despite all my hype above, after more time with the GH, I’d say it’s not as “extreme” as the Fostex biodynamic drivers. Those can be pushed to much more insane levels of bass as far as I can tell. I’m reluctant to drive the GHs really far since they’re so expensive and I’d hate to blow them up. But for “normal” daily basshead use they’re pretty damn good. Still will require EQ of course—everything does if you’re truly in the extreme basshead club.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #12,576 of 12,992
Despite all my hype above, after more time with the GH, I’d say it’s not as “extreme” as the Fostex biodynamic drivers. Those can be pushed to much more insane levels of bass as far as I can tell. I’m reluctant to drive the GHs really far since they’re so expensive and I’d hate to blow them up. But for “normal” daily basshead use they’re pretty damn good. Still will require EQ of course—everything does if you’re truly in the extreme basshead club.
+ 22db? Believe it or not, the Magni has even greater punch and slam, though a little more wooly and wild. Not as defined and layered, but it hits harder and the presence region is not dark in tonality.

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #12,577 of 12,992
I'm looking for basshead cans but fear I'm already maxed out.

I have V Moda M100, CFW1 and CFW2 paired with a Hiby R6 Pro and Fiio A3.

There is a nice bass thump with EQ but I have to jack the volume quite high. When I plug the Hiby into a stereo or something - without the A3 - the bass is overwhelming (although the stereo has its own sub), which suggests to my I'm over-EQing to get the V Modas to kick more. I can't listen via Bluetooth as they're so weedy on BT even with a Fiio BT3RK in between.

So is there a good option to deliver that kick in 2023? I read that balanced headphones have more power but I don't know if that would translate into more bass kick

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #12,578 of 12,992

+ 22db? Believe it or not, the Magni has even greater punch and slam, though a little more wooly and wild. Not as defined and layered, but it hits harder and the presence region is not dark in tonality.
Well about +10 from the ifi and +12 from the Loki, it’s an additive effect. I do actually prefer just the jot2 with the Loki these days though even if it’s not as much quantity. The ifi just doesn’t have the same level of control and slam. It just makes the bass louder, muddier, and is less tight. Jot2 and Loki produces some pretty solid bass even in the unbalanced mode. I have yet to get balanced cables, but imagine (and hope) it will improve the bass slam by noticeable amount.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #12,579 of 12,992
I'm looking for basshead cans but fear I'm already maxed out.

I have V Moda M100, CFW1 and CFW2 paired with a Hiby R6 Pro and Fiio A3.

There is a nice bass thump with EQ but I have to jack the volume quite high. When I plug the Hiby into a stereo or something - without the A3 - the bass is overwhelming (although the stereo has its own sub), which suggests to my I'm over-EQing to get the V Modas to kick more. I can't listen via Bluetooth as they're so weedy on BT even with a Fiio BT3RK in between.

So is there a good option to deliver that kick in 2023? I read that balanced headphones have more power but I don't know if that would translate into more bass kick
What’s your budget?

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #12,580 of 12,992
I'm toying with the idea of a resolving closed back to work alongside my LCD-X when I want a closed back experience.
I'm confused about the Denon series.
The D7200 and D9200 do get some praise, but I can't tell if you can turn them into bass cannons, or if they'll start distorting and they're better suited to subtle EQ changes.
I already have the Fostex Purplehearts which were my favourite out of the box and can take a bass boost, but like with seemingly all Fostex cans, they easily reach their limitations with sub bass causing that annoying effect where the bass notes are superimposed onto the rest of the frequency response / distort. (Also the dreaded hinge ringing has started happening)
I'm wondering if the Denons are more of the same as I haven't listened to any in quite a while.

I was also considering the GH50s/LSA HP2s - Rosson and ZMF offerings are out of budget.

Also Z7mk2 and Z1Rs seem interesting to me - I listened to the Z1Rs a long time ago and they are pretty coloured U-shape out of the box, but I seem to remember them being able to take quite the bass boost without complaining. Due to the lack of detail/resolution bass wise, people seem to knock it, but is it not a decent contender for basshead shenanigans? Like the general consensus seems to be to get a 9200 over a Z1R, but I can't tell if a 9200 could out-bass a Z1R with a basshead EQ, and if it couldn't, in the context of basshead listening, the Z1R would win because I know they're not THAT bad.

If all else fails, I suppose an LCD-XC should be on the table, but not sure how it compares to the usual suspects when given proper EQ and power. If it's anything like the X, I'm sold. I also realise it's a little unfair comparing all these dynamics to a planar regarding sub bass, but hey, if the V-Moda and JVC can do it, I have hope damn it haha.

In any case, anyone have basshead EQ experience and can attest for any of the above headphones surviving a track like
Dillard - 0742,
Quok - Breathing,
Truth - Side Eye, or at the most extreme side of sub bass Rico Recklezz "Crank That"
with a between +10-15db in the 40hz and below region?

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #12,581 of 12,992
I'm toying with the idea of a resolving closed back to work alongside my LCD-X when I want a closed back experience.
The D7200 and D9200 do get some praise, but I can't tell if you can turn them into bass cannons, or if they'll start distorting and they're better suited to subtle EQ changes.
I already have the Fostex Purplehearts which were my favourite out of the box and can take a bass boost, but like with seemingly all Fostex cans, they easily reach their limitations with sub bass causing that annoying effect where the bass notes are superimposed onto the rest of the frequency response / distort. (Also the dreaded hinge ringing has started happening)
I'm wondering if the Denons are more of the same as I haven't listened to any in quite a while.

I was also considering the GH50s/LSA HP2s - Rosson and ZMF offerings are out of budget.

Also Z7mk2 and Z1Rs seem interesting to me - I listened to the Z1Rs a long time ago and they are pretty coloured U-shape out of the box, but I seem to remember them being able to take quite the bass boost without complaining. Due to the lack of detail/resolution bass wise, people seem to knock it, but is it not a decent contender for basshead shenanigans? Like the general consensus seems to be to get a 9200 over a Z1R, but I can't tell if a 9200 could out-bass a Z1R with a basshead EQ, and if it couldn't, in the context of basshead listening, the Z1R would win because I know they're not THAT bad.

If all else fails, I suppose an LCD-XC should be on the table, but not sure how it compares to the usual suspects when given proper EQ and power. If it's anything like the X, I'm sold. I also realise it's a little unfair comparing all these dynamics to a planar regarding sub bass, but hey, if the V-Moda and JVC can do it, I have hope damn it haha.

In any case, anyone have basshead EQ experience and can attest for any of the above headphones surviving a track like
Dillard - 0742,
Quok - Breathing,
Truth - Side Eye, or at the most extreme side of sub bass Rico Recklezz "Crank That"
I’ve always read that the XC is bass light in stick form but responds well to EQ. You might just need something like +20 dB to really get it there. I ultimately went with a GH50 since it has a bass boost built in with its stock frequency response. I have a monoprice m1570c as well and it produces very good bass with EQ. I’ve heard that the 1070c is even better for bass, so I wouldn’t discount those either. Many prefer them to the audeze offerings. If you can stand the weight, I don’t think there’s better closed back planars st that price. I got my 1570c on sale for $400 and it absolutely sounds like $1000 to me. It’s just giant and heavy. The GH50 is better in every way, but not by as much as you’d think considering I paid 3x for it. Neither will match the Fostex in bass quantity and slam though. But they are better in quality. While I loved my 5 years or so with THX00 and Emu Teak, I picked the m1570c over those and have now moved on to the GH50. There’s a GH50 JM MKII mod now too, which is supposed to offer a lot more bass. That might bring it up to Fostex levels. I’ll report back in a few months when I do it. I’m just going to enjoy as is for now.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #12,582 of 12,992

Dillard - 0742,
Quok - Breathing,
Basshead'ism aside, LCD-XC needs EQ anyway to fix its midrange tuning, which is (to be fair) horrendously bad.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #12,583 of 12,992
I’ve always read that the XC is bass light in stick form but responds well to EQ. You might just need something like +20 dB to really get it there. I ultimately went with a GH50 since it has a bass boost built in with its stock frequency response. I have a monoprice m1570c as well and it produces very good bass with EQ. I’ve heard that the 1070c is even better for bass, so I wouldn’t discount those either. Many prefer them to the audeze offerings. If you can stand the weight, I don’t think there’s better closed back planars st that price. I got my 1570c on sale for $400 and it absolutely sounds like $1000 to me. It’s just giant and heavy. The GH50 is better in every way, but not by as much as you’d think considering I paid 3x for it. Neither will match the Fostex in bass quantity and slam though. But they are better in quality. While I loved my 5 years or so with THX00 and Emu Teak, I picked the m1570c over those and have now moved on to the GH50. There’s a GH50 JM MKII mod now too, which is supposed to offer a lot more bass. That might bring it up to Fostex levels. I’ll report back in a few months when I do it. I’m just going to enjoy as is for now.

I just remembered that the Hifiman Sundara Closed exists - I would've left a comment about it earlier in the thread. It'd probably hang with the Monoprice bass wise as you can turn it into a bass cannon. The tonality was a bit off though, otherwise it would be a new hidden gem (who would ever think a something with the Sundara name could produce bass xD).
At first I wasn't really worried about the weight of the 1570s, but anything so closely rivalling the Heddphone is too much lol. If I was using it for fun sessions only, I would but that aside though, I think I will keep my ears and eyes open for the GH50 and its equivalents as there's been a lot of love for them overall.

Basshead'ism aside, LCD-XC needs EQ anyway to fix its midrange tuning, which is (to be fair) horrendously bad.

Bah, I'm generally passed having to EQ something, especially if it's malleable to EQ - but obviously, the less the better.
These days I just run Oratory settings and tune to taste; very surprised at the transformation is has on even high end cans like the LCD-X 2021.
Just makes me not trust my own ears haha "I loved this so much...I had no idea how broken it sounded now that I've heard the EQ'd version".

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #12,584 of 12,992
I just remembered that the Hifiman Sundara Closed exists - I would've left a comment about it earlier in the thread. It'd probably hang with the Monoprice bass wise as you can turn it into a bass cannon. The tonality was a bit off though, otherwise it would be a new hidden gem (who would ever think a something with the Sundara name could produce bass xD).
At first I wasn't really worried about the weight of the 1570s, but anything so closely rivalling the Heddphone is too much lol. If I was using it for fun sessions only, I would but that aside though.
I think I will keep my ears and eyes open for the GH50 and its equivalents as there's been a lot of love for them overall.

Bah, I'm generally passed having to EQ something, especially if it's malleable to EQ - but obviously, the less the better.
These days I just run Oratory settings and tune to taste; very surprised at the transformation is has on even high end cans like the LCD-X 2021.
Just makes me not trust my own ears haha "I loved this so much...I had no idea how broken it sounded now that I've heard the EQ'd version".
For sure, I bet the closed sundara sounds great. I had an ananda last year and it was able to produce fantastic basshead levels of bass with EQ. Excellent rumble, slam, extension, and quality. Those big egg shaped drivers are awesome for bass. I just didn’t care for its imaging and tonality, and need closed back most of the time, so I got rid of it in favor of the 1570C.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #12,585 of 12,992
Dillard - 0742,
Quok - Breathing,
Off topic but you've sent me down a long youtube rabbit hole of "Truth" tunes. Hadn't heard of him before, but all of his stuff seems fantastic so far... awesome basslines. Cheers for that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back