The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #11,926 of 12,992
Has anyone owned or heard either the Beyerdynamic T1/T5 3rd - And the Fostex tr-x00 Ebony? How would we rate the bass quality/quantity between these cans? I don't have a bass heavy headphone in my stable, and I think it's about time I do. I've tried both the E-mu Teak and Denon ah-d7200. Neither quite satisfied my craving. My Ibasso SR2 has more bass presence than either of them.
I have the T5 3rd and the T5P 2nd. I have also owned the Teaks, Mahoganys and Purplehearts but not the Ebonys. As a long-time bass head, I have also owned the SZ2000 twice, the TH-900, Z1R and Campfire Cascades among many other bass head cans. By far my favorite presentation of bass comes from the 2 Beyers. I have also owned the T1 but, as open-backs, they just don't bring the deep slam that the closed backs do. The T5 3rd has the deeper subbass extension than the 2nd gen but not by a whole lot. Keep in mind that I use a Loki to add extra bass to both of them. They take the EQ beautifully. There are numerous times that I feel like the couch is shaking underneath me and kind of look around to see if something else did that :beyersmile:.

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #11,927 of 12,992
I have the T5 3rd and the T5P 2nd. I have also owned the Teaks, Mahoganys and Purplehearts but not the Ebonys. As a long-time bass head, I have also owned the SZ2000 twice, the TH-900, Z1R and Campfire Cascades among many other bass head cans. By far my favorite presentation of bass comes from the 2 Beyers. I have also owned the T1 but, as open-backs, they just don't bring the deep slam that the closed backs do. The T5 3rd has the deeper subbass extension than the 2nd gen but not by a whole lot. Keep in mind that I use a Loki to add extra bass to both of them. They take the EQ beautifully. There are numerous times that I feel like the couch is shaking underneath me and kind of look around to see if something else did that :beyersmile:.
Very good. Can you describe any differences of bass presentation between the T5 and Fostex models... Such as depth, layering, slam, etc? What about the bass do you prefer with the T5?
Have you heard the T1 3rd by any chance?

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #11,928 of 12,992
Thanks for the response. It's hard to find a set of the Ebony at a reasonable price these days. Perhaps I should have kept the Teaks and bought some different cups. How much do the Ebony cups add to the Teaks bass performance?

Full disclosure - have not heard EMU's version but have owned the TH600, TH900 as well as the D500 (twice), plus currently own the D2000 and LA7000 (heavily modded D7000) to this day and all to my ears were very similar in sound and performance - which to me is outstanding. All handle bass extremely well and can thump with anything I've tried. I drive all my headphones from vintage speaker amps, and with tone controls and loudness circuits, they realllllly thump.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #11,930 of 12,992
Very good. Can you describe any differences of bass presentation between the T5 and Fostex models... Such as depth, layering, slam, etc? What about the bass do you prefer with the T5?
Have you heard the T1 3rd by any chance?
The thing I like the most about the T5P is the way the imaging is done. There is both depth and height in addition to width that makes the music I listen to (primarily EDM) so engaging. The subbass is deep and rumbly - felt throughout the whole body. The mids are forward and highs are sparkly without sibilance. It is the perfect headphone. I don't say that lightly since I have tried so many headphones to get to this place. I still have to try the summit-fi headphones like the Abyss, ZMF and Meze but I have tried several highly regarded expensive-ish headphones that did not engage me to the degree that the T5Ps do. I also really appreciate the comfort and light weight of the Beyers. I do a lot of head bobbing and the heavier and clunkier Fostex cans can be annoying in that regard. I have not tried the T1 3rd yet.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #11,931 of 12,992
The thing I like the most about the T5P is the way the imaging is done. There is both depth and height in addition to width that makes the music I listen to (primarily EDM) so engaging. The subbass is deep and rumbly - felt throughout the whole body. The mids are forward and highs are sparkly without sibilance. It is the perfect headphone. I don't say that lightly since I have tried so many headphones to get to this place. I still have to try the summit-fi headphones like the Abyss, ZMF and Meze but I have tried several highly regarded expensive-ish headphones that did not engage me to the degree that the T5Ps do. I also really appreciate the comfort and light weight of the Beyers. I do a lot of head bobbing and the heavier and clunkier Fostex cans can be annoying in that regard. I have not tried the T1 3rd yet.
Does the T5 3rd have the same hollow, hallway effect as the T5p 2nd? Is the reverb still as present? Also, are the upper mids and treble a touch toned down on the 3rd compared to the 2nd? I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the T5 3rd, but I'm also curious about the T1 3rd.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #11,933 of 12,992
Hey guys! Which planar headphones are the most bass-heavy?
Probably the Final D8000 out of all the planars I've personally listened to. The Abyss AB-1266 or the original HE-6 (well-amped) might be better though from what I've read... If you really want the biggest most impactful bass, dynamics are really where it's at though...

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #11,934 of 12,992
Does the T5 3rd have the same hollow, hallway effect as the T5p 2nd? Is the reverb still as present? Also, are the upper mids and treble a touch toned down on the 3rd compared to the 2nd? I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the T5 3rd, but I'm also curious about the T1 3rd.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to use those words to describe the sound but the "hollow, hallway effect" and "reverb" are the things I love most about the T5P 2nd Gen! It works great for EDM, but maybe not so well for other genres. As for the T5 3rd Gen, it doesn't have that sound at all which is why I put them up for sale. The treble is more toned down. Not sure about the upper mids. You might very well like them. I will say that the bass is stellar on them - hitting a little deeper than the 2nd Gen.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #11,935 of 12,992
Hi guys. I have a JVC sz 1000 and SZ 2000 and I will sell them. Any idea how much is a fait price to ask? I replaced the earpads and bought a nice neoprene headband cover. Now they look as new. How much are they worth asking? Thank you

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #11,936 of 12,992
Probably the Final D8000 out of all the planars I've personally listened to. The Abyss AB-1266 or the original HE-6 (well-amped) might be better though from what I've read... If you really want the biggest most impactful bass, dynamics are really where it's at though...
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm a regular person, not millionaire :smile:

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #11,937 of 12,992
Hahah Well at the more affordable end, you could look at an Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-2 Closed back. Still might not be enough bass for you though. They have good impact, but not a huge amount of quantity..

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #11,938 of 12,992

On a budget, if you're not opposed to EQ, the Gold Planar GL2000 or a modded M1060C are quite capable of slamming your brain around. I'm an OG basshead that has owned the SZ2000's and many others, and I get my fix now from an open back modded M1060C, a modded closed back M1060C, and the GL2000. But like I said, to get that slam, you'll need to EQ them.

2021-04-15.jpg

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #11,939 of 12,992
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to use those words to describe the sound but the "hollow, hallway effect" and "reverb" are the things I love most about the T5P 2nd Gen! It works great for EDM, but maybe not so well for other genres. As for the T5 3rd Gen, it doesn't have that sound at all which is why I put them up for sale. The treble is more toned down. Not sure about the upper mids. You might very well like them. I will say that the bass is stellar on them - hitting a little deeper than the 2nd Gen.
I know it can be difficult to put into words, but just how toned down is the treble? Is it just less bright, or is it actually somewhat dark?

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #11,940 of 12,992
I know it can be difficult to put into words, but just how toned down is the treble? Is it just less bright, or is it actually somewhat dark?
I wouldn't describe it as dark, just not as bright as the 2nd Gen. So many people complain about the Beyer treble, and even though I am treble sensitive, I have not really had a problem with it on any of their phones. If I did I would just dial it back with the Loki.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back