The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #11,897 of 12,993
I’m feeling lost. I need bass. And I can’t find it.

I’m looking for a headphone (closed) for the office that slams my head in the sub and mid bass but can also sound at least decent in the mids and treble.

planar bass isn’t it for me. I thought the Argons would be it but nope. I’ve tried the TH-X00 but they leak too much noise for the office.

IS THERE HOPE FOR ME?
CAN THE CASCADES DO WHAT FOSTEX DOES?

plz help.

headphones I’ve tried recently:
- ARGON MK3 (airy boom no good)
- Fostex TH-00 (slam town USA, bad iso tho)
- DT 770 80 ohm (need much more than this)
- Sennheiser momentum 3 (not bad actually)

try Floyd Rose FR-52, Audiotechnica wp900, cascades, Denon ah-d7100 (if you can find it)

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #11,898 of 12,993
What is your preference? I was pretty sold by the bgga review of these. The warmer sound with great bass that doesn’t bleed into the miss and yet still has great highs. What is the main difference to you between them?

I haven’t seen an rbh on sale in a while, I ended up grabbing one of the m&o off eBay for 80 total.
I prefer the RBH HP2 to the M&O. I've noticed several differences in the build that add up to differences I can hear. 1) RBH HP2 is wired and has no electronics in the cups, this will have an effect on useable cup volume. 2) RBH has dampening material on the inside of the cups, M&O does not. This dampening reduces resonances that are definitely audible. 3) M&O electronics has buttons that require holes in the cups and these holes leak air, while the RBH has more precise venting of 3 small holes on each side.

In short, RBH HP2s appear and sound like they've been tuned by a professional, probably by RBH's very experienced head acoustic engineer. They're clearer, less resonant distortion, tighter. M&O appear to have selected a good OEM source (same as RBH did), then taken the basic headphone design, dispensed with the tuning and added bluetooth electronics.

And you're right, the RBH HP2 is no longer made. $80 for M&O is a good price for a pretty good headphone with a pretty good driver. You might be able to make the M&O sound more like the RBH by ripping out the electronics, plugging the button holes and adding dampening material to the cups. The 45mm beryllium coated drivers are good on both.

$80 for the M&O is a good price for a pretty good headphone. And if you don't have the RBH HP2 in hand to compare it to, the M&O sounds pretty good.

Note: be careful with the plastic covering the hinges though. The plastic on both of these can break if forced. Also, the drivers are so thin (a good thing since that means they're light and can produce detailed sound) that changes in atmospheric pressure can cause dimpling on the drivers. Open yours up and see if they look normal. If they're caved in, suck them out gently with your mouth or a vacuum on low using your hand as a gasket and they'll pop right back into original shape.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #11,899 of 12,993
Imo decent, though I'm probably the worst person to ask about that.

Positive:The new denons are the only true closed back of the fostex biocell series.

Negative: The cups while wood, are quite thin. Thinnest of all the fostex wooden cups.

So out of all the headphones which are readily available in mainland Europe, which isolate the best?

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #11,901 of 12,993
If you can get ahold of a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP2's, they just might have the base your looking for.

V-Moda LP2's Stock...
IMG_1456.JPG

V-Moda LP2's With Wicked Cushion Pads & Headband Cover...
IMG_1850.JPG

As you can see, I am using a S.M.S.L SP200 amp modified with a golden aluminum volume knob, to power these can's. At 32-OHMS, my amp is producing 3-watts per channel, which is more then plent to power the cans. In regards to the EQ side of things, I am using a Realistic 12-band EQ box, and these are the settings I am using for both channels.
IMG_1594.JPG

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #11,904 of 12,993
Yes he's banned apparently. Unfortunately for us, the information as to why he was banned, was never told to us. I personally never witnessed anything from him, when he was regularly visiting here, that I would consider a bannable offence. But I know at the end of the day, its none of my business, and thats why I don't expect the site mods to tell me lol.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #11,905 of 12,993
I am EQ them and I do have a 3 W amp. My compatison is 1000 against 2000. That 2000 sounds mote muffled than 1000

I've had my HA-SZ2000 cans for a couple of years. Before I bought them I was a firm unbeliever with regards to burning in new headphones. These changed my mind entirely; they soooo need a good week of use or so before the drivers bed-in properly and everything starts to sound sweet. I've run them through an AK70, a Samsung Galaxy S5, and Note 9; all of these, I felt, needed amping to get the full benefit of these headphones, and I used to use a Neco Soundlabs V4 dual-mono headphone amp to assist. Having said that, they don't need much; they're designed to play everything from 4Hz upwards, and they do so without needing to boost the bass - they just play every doofing note perfectly. However, I now have an A&K SR15, and the difference is phenomenal. The SR15 needs no help to drive them at all; in fact, if anything, sticking an amp between the two seems to degrade the sound quality. I'm seriously considering trying to buy another pair and rewiring them to a 2.5mm TRRS plug for the balanced port on the player.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #11,906 of 12,993
I am bass head

Which brand has is a real bass Sony headphone or Sennheiser

I have only used Sennheiser headphone whole life

Ex.

Sennheiser

Rs 170

HD 185

HD 175

HD 202

Sennheiser-Urbanite-XL

598 open

A few days ago I tried Sony WH-XB900N I noticed the bass was completely different from Sennheiser headphones

For Example Sony headphone bass was wide and my whole ear was vibrating compare to all Sennheiser headphones. Sennheiser was more like on the head not wide and direct.

Here I am asking which bass is common or original

If I buy a different brand of headphone which bass I am going to get a Sony or Sennheiser ones
If you would like to try the Sennheisers with more bass, there's Urbanite On-Ear, Momentum On-Ear, HD25-1, and HD300pro (I haven't tried this one, but have read about it having "too much bass").

Urbanite XL has rather balanced sound, not the "club bass" as advertised at all, but the smaller On-ear does and is really fun.

I've no experience with the bass heavy Sony headphones, but I did hear store demos many years ago. I don't remember them well beyond them having the typical "Sony house" sound.
I've considered picking up an XB950 in the past. I still might later, plus the latest MDR-1A. I tried the 1R and liked it after modifications, but not enough to keep it.

I've got the VModa M100, Momentum On-Ear, and more for heavy bass.

To be honest, there's no such thing as "Sennheiser bass" or "Sony bass"; bass is bass, IMO. You either have too much of it, or too little, and all the varying spots in-between.

With that being said, Sony is more adept at making "bass heavy" headphones; they have a rich pedigree in this particular aspect.
"Sennheiser bass" is often a bit "wooly" in quality, for lack of a better descriptor. Basshead cans are not Sennheiser's forte, so we can write off "Sennheiser bass" as being "wooly, modest" in general. "Sony bass" is definitely different in character in general within their own product lines and compared to Sennheiser cans, especially when we discuss the bass heavy Sony headphones.

"bass is bass" is never quite true under any circumstances, in my experience.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #11,907 of 12,993
I've had my HA-SZ2000 cans for a couple of years. Before I bought them I was a firm unbeliever with regards to burning in new headphones. These changed my mind entirely; they soooo need a good week of use or so before the drivers bed-in properly and everything starts to sound sweet. I've run them through an AK70, a Samsung Galaxy S5, and Note 9; all of these, I felt, needed amping to get the full benefit of these headphones, and I used to use a Neco Soundlabs V4 dual-mono headphone amp to assist. Having said that, they don't need much; they're designed to play everything from 4Hz upwards, and they do so without needing to boost the bass - they just play every doofing note perfectly. However, I now have an A&K SR15, and the difference is phenomenal. The SR15 needs no help to drive them at all; in fact, if anything, sticking an amp between the two seems to degrade the sound quality. I'm seriously considering trying to buy another pair and rewiring them to a 2.5mm TRRS plug for the balanced port on the player.

Yep, that was my experience with the JVC SZ1000E's, they needed about 300-hours of burn in time, and then they began to sound better. I probably had well over 1000-hours of listening time into them before they broke. Admittedly, I haven't been counting the hours of use on my V-Moda LP2 headphones, so I don't know how many I have put on them. But I didn't really notice much burn in with them, and I've owned them for just about a year now. So I think it really just depends on the drivers used, weather or not there is considerable burn in.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #11,908 of 12,993
I recommend putting the Sony MDR-1AM2 into your headphone projects with high quality bass and sub-bass. Let them burn-in for at least 70-80 hours. I am very blown away by the sound of this headphone.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #11,910 of 12,993
Anyone try cowhide pads on the JVC Bass Kings?

I used the MrSpeakers (now Dan Clark Audio) Alpha pads on my SZ2k. They are lamb skin though I believe, but they were hands down my favorite pads for the JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back