The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 6, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #11,911 of 12,992
I used the MrSpeakers (now Dan Clark Audio) Alpha pads on my SZ2k. They are lamb skin though I believe, but they were hands down my favorite pads for the JVC.

Yeah when I had em, i tried sheeps and xb1k pads, but i've always wondered if the cowhide with stiffer foams would have resulted in more vibrotactile / bone conduction. I thought maybe someone slapped the ZMF cowhides on em to compare. :p

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #11,912 of 12,992
Hello everyone, hope that 2021 is treating you well! :L3000:

So, last August was the last time I did a leather conditioner treatment on my V-Moda Crossfade LP2 cans. I just got around to doing the next treatment, and took a couple of pictures. I gotta tell ya, this oil is thick and messy, can easily get everywhere else if your not careful. Tried to use a baby wipe to wipe up the oil that got on the sides where the chrome strip is, suffice to say, I don't think it will ever look like new again lol.

But what really matters most, is that the pads have been treated. If you don't treat the pads every 6-months to 12-months, they will dry out, and fall apart in short order. So if you want your pads to last, you gotta use condition those pads. I am just using the oil based conditioner from the Honey brand. A little bit on a mircro fiber cloth goes a long way, but I wanted to make sure to get enough on there.

FYI, after treating your pads, you have to let them absorb the oil and air dry for at least 8-hours, 24-hours is better if you can last that long.
11253694.jpg

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #11,914 of 12,992
Hey guys!
After an unsuccessful experience with Fostex TH-600, I tried CA Cascade. They are amazing. The deepest and most detailed bass I've ever heard before. But unfortunately, because I'm a fan of bass-heavy electronic music like Techno and IDM, Cascades the way too heavy for me. I've already tried to switch filters, pads with no luck.
I think I won't find any dynamic headphones with such details and a wide scene as Cascade has.

Does any bass-heavy planar exist? I've tried LCD 2 Closed and I didn't like it because of insufficient bass.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #11,916 of 12,992
Planars don't move air like dynamic headphones can but I guess it also depends how much bass you want. I use the th900 for electronic music
I need something in between Cascade and TH900. TH900 and TH600 have sub-bass, but not a mid-bass as Cascade does. Mid-bass for me equals punches. Cascade has amazing punches, but a very massive sub-bass which I can't control.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #11,917 of 12,992
I picked up an Audio-technica Pro7x to try out. Dang, loving it! It is bass heavy, but lacks punch, and then the forward upper mids completes its "V-shaped" signature. Maybe different earpads can tighten up and improve bass impact? And potentially improve isolation a bit.
The main downside is the mediocre comfort. Earpads are too soft and the headband padding is too thin. The other upsides are great clarity, soundstaging that is very big, deep and nuanced in the midrange, very "out of your head", fairly good transparency and resolution for a sub-$200 can, and great PRaT.

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #11,918 of 12,992
I need something in between Cascade and TH900. TH900 and TH600 have sub-bass, but not a mid-bass as Cascade does. Mid-bass for me equals punches. Cascade has amazing punches, but a very massive sub-bass which I can't control.
I had the Cascade and own the TH900. The cascade sounded pretty bad for me, legit like a can. Can't understand the positive reviews, but maybe my model was defect (what I don't think). I was also searching very long for some alternatives, but didn't really found much. I have the JBL Club One which I really like (even if it's not considered as a audiophile headphone), they hit hard and don't bleed and really gives texture to all frequencies. Very dynamic. But the comfort is pretty bad for me. The Audeze LCD-XC is providing a pretty similar bass experience as the TH900 (in terms of bass quality, also feells like a dynamic) with a more neutral treble area (TH900 is elevated).

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #11,919 of 12,992
I’ve been out of the game for a while, but I’d like to buy an amp to power my bass-head collection (SZ2000, CFA Cascades, V-Modas).

I was planning on getting the Ifi Micro Black Label, but I notice the ‘Signature’ model is out now. Is that one much better?

Are these still the goto models for the best bass-head experience? Anything else I should be looking at?

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #11,920 of 12,992
I’ve been out of the game for a while, but I’d like to buy an amp to power my bass-head collection (SZ2000, CFA Cascades, V-Modas).

I was planning on getting the Ifi Micro Black Label, but I notice the ‘Signature’ model is out now. Is that one much better?

Are these still the goto models for the best bass-head experience? Anything else I should be looking at?

If you are wanting an amp with a portable option, the ifi Black Label, Signature, and Diablo can't be beat. If you aren't looking for portable, you can always grab an Emotiva BasX A100. It comes with an optional set of jumpers to install that allows the full power of the speaker outputs run through the headphone jack. All the clean power you could want. Or you could get any of the THX amps. The Drop 789, Monoprice 887, or the SMSL SP200. All of them would easily power your lineup.

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #11,921 of 12,992
If you are wanting an amp with a portable option, the ifi Black Label, Signature, and Diablo can't be beat. If you aren't looking for portable, you can always grab an Emotiva BasX A100. It comes with an optional set of jumpers to install that allows the full power of the speaker outputs run through the headphone jack. All the clean power you could want. Or you could get any of the THX amps. The Drop 789, Monoprice 887, or the SMSL SP200. All of them would easily power your lineup.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I feel like I would like the option of a portable amp, but it obviously comes at quite a big premium compared to the true desktop options. I’ll check those out as well.

When I saw that the Ifi Signature model had replaced the Black Label, I was hoping that there would be quite big discounts on the latter, but most places here in the UK still seem to be charging full price

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #11,923 of 12,992
Has anyone owned or heard either the Beyerdynamic T1/T5 3rd - And the Fostex tr-x00 Ebony? How would we rate the bass quality/quantity between these cans? I don't have a bass heavy headphone in my stable, and I think it's about time I do. I've tried both the E-mu Teak and Denon ah-d7200. Neither quite satisfied my craving. My Ibasso SR2 has more bass presence than either of them.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #11,924 of 12,992
Has anyone owned or heard either the Beyerdynamic T1/T5 3rd - And the Fostex tr-x00 Ebony? How would we rate the bass quality/quantity between these cans? I don't have a bass heavy headphone in my stable, and I think it's about time I do. I've tried both the E-mu Teak and Denon ah-d7200. Neither quite satisfied my craving. My Ibasso SR2 has more bass presence than either of them.
The X00 Ebony presents more subbass than the D7200. In fact all of the newer Denons D5200/D7200 are a bit lighter on subbass than the original D2000/5000/7000. The Emu with Ebony cups is my favorite. Original D2000 next. I listen to my Ebony's and D2000s more than my SR2. I've not heard the T1/T5.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #11,925 of 12,992
The X00 Ebony presents more subbass than the D7200. In fact all of the newer Denons D5200/D7200 are a bit lighter on subbass than the original D2000/5000/7000. The Emu with Ebony cups is my favorite. Original D2000 next. I listen to my Ebony's and D2000s more than my SR2. I've not heard the T1/T5.
Thanks for the response. It's hard to find a set of the Ebony at a reasonable price these days. Perhaps I should have kept the Teaks and bought some different cups. How much do the Ebony cups add to the Teaks bass performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back