The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #11,476 of 12,991
At the end of the day, if you spend 400+ dollars on an AMP and DAC combined, your an audiophile. Most people will spend 20 bucks and call it a day, like I did nearly a decade ago.

And then, if you spend 100 dollars or more to get a bass canon of a headphone, then your a basshead audiophile. Again, most people will listen to cheap 20 dollar IEM's or 20 dollar computer speakers that sound like shitucky from kentucky, but their not audiophiles like us, they have other priorities, like going to parties and traveling. Although, something tells me people aint gonna do much of that these days. :wink:

Yeah, I don't know what the heck happened to HawaiiBadBoy. He was still around when I joined the site in 2016, we exchanged a few messages back and forth, I actually liked the guy, and I always looked up to him as one of the greats on here, including OldDude. Its a complete mystery to me as to why he was banned, doesn't seem right that a legend got banned on here, but I guess thats the way it is.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #11,477 of 12,991
Hawaii Badboy, is he not Chris, the same guy who does Bad Guy, Good Audio? There was some controversy a while back concerning him. I don't claim to know all that went on or who did what to whom. I don't want to know. I watch his reviews of IEMs on YouTube.

I have a playlist of songs that are really sub bass heavy, including some of those "bass test" type tracks. And "Mango Drive," "Evil Dub," "Silent Shout," "Fantasy," Omni Trio's "Sanctuary," and on and on. I put on the JVC HA-sz2000s or the Pioneer SE-CX8 iems and feel the bass rumble for a while. I just like it.

But I also appreciate a terrific baseline in a rock song or in EDM or in jazz. One doesn't need or necessarily even want "bass cannons" for that kind of bass.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #11,478 of 12,991
Honestly if you ear real drums or bass guitars don't go too much deep and their sound depend by many tecnical factors.
For the drums by example the woods, the elements dimention and the skins choosed and for the bass by the body woods, the chords and the amplification and don"t forget the musicians technique to play the instrument.
The sound could be tight or boomy.

Really deep boosted sub bass are electronic.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #11,479 of 12,991
This is a list of the headphones with the best bass, IMO. They are categorized by their respective price brackets.

Note: Some of these headphones are straight-out bass cannons, whilst others have quality bass. I will probably provide a more structured and detailed list sometime in the future.

The headphones in bold + italics are discontinued; however, if you can get a hold of some of them, you will be a very happy camper.

Sub-$100
  • AKG K518DJ
  • Betron Retro
  • Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO
  • Creative Aurvana Live!
  • E-MU Walnut
  • Sony MDR-XB300
$101-$300
  • AKG K371
  • AKG K67 Tiesto
  • Audio-Technica M50x
  • Audio-Technica PRO700 MK2
  • Audio-Technica WS1100iS
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
  • Creative Aurvana Live! 2
  • Denon AH-D1100
  • JVC HA-MR77X
  • JVC HA-SZ2000
  • Sony MDR-1AM2
  • Sony MDR-XB500
  • Sony MDR-XB700
  • Sony WH-XB900N
  • Ultrasone PRO 580i
  • V-MODA Crossfade LP2
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100
  • V-MODA Crossfade Wireless 2
$301-$500
  • Denon AH-D600 Music Maniac
  • Denon AH-D2000
  • Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac
  • E-MU Teak
  • Fostex TH610
  • Fostex TH-X00
  • Fostex TR-X00
  • Meze 99 Classics
  • Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless
  • Sony MDR-XB1000
  • Sony WH-1000XM3
  • Ultrasone PRO 900i
$501-$1,000
  • Audeze LCD-2
  • Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
  • Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
  • Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation)
  • Campfire Audio Cascade
  • Denon AH-D5000
  • Denon AH-D5200
  • Denon AH-D7000
  • Denon AH-D7200
  • Sony MDR-Z7
  • Sony MDR-Z7M2
  • Ultrasone Signature DJ
Above S$1,000
  • Audeze LCD-3
  • Audeze LCD-XC
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS
  • Denon AH-D9200
  • Focal Stellia
  • Fostex TH900 Mk2
  • Klipsch Heritage HP-3
  • Sony MDR-Z1R
  • ZMF Atticus
  • ZMF Vérité Closed
Edit
7 August: Added the Betron Retro, Sony MDR-XB300
11 July: Added the Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO
10 July: Added the Creative Aurvana Live! 2, Denon D2000, D5000, V-MODA Crossfade Wireless
Hey man, you're missing the lcd4, empys, and abyss 1266 tc for bass on your list!

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #11,484 of 12,991
The new SIVGA Phoenix headphones have great bass and are only 250$ an open back that sounds like a closed back see Musicteck.com

Looking at the reviews It seams a good choise and it looks very nice.

At the Sivga official shops on AliExpress they sell this can at e. 221. 👍👍

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #11,488 of 12,991
Yo im looking to replace my ultrasone pro 900s. I have a e17k paired up with them and im trying to find wireless ones that are comparable. This will be my second headphone purchase so my experience range is 0. Was looking at xb900?

Trying to find that bass the just tickles your ears like the pro 900 does

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #11,490 of 12,991
Some of you might recall, my horror story, about the condition of my HM5 Sheepskin pads, that were on my JVC SZ 1000's, due to lack of maintenance. I was fairly warned to condition them once in awhile, using a leather conditioner. But I didn't listen, and 2-years later, they look very well used lol.

And as well as some of you might recall, after I got my V-Moda LP2's, I promised not to that again, and make sure to condition them after 3 to 4 months had gone by. Well, as true to my word, I have done it, literally just now. LOL - I tried to not use too much, but I wanted to make sure that I got fairly even coverage over the entire pads.

Once you use this stuff, its recommended to not use your headphones for hours, which gives time for the leather conditioner to absorb into the leather. This is why the perfect time to do this, is just before you go to bed. Yeah, I know, your tired, you just wanna go to bed, but just spend a few minutes, get it done. Now I can finally go to bed, hopefully sleep for 8-hours if my body finally plays right, and then when I wake up, with any luck, the pads will hopefully not be all wet and oily lol.

IMG_2083.JPG

The pic isn't the best, I took it quick and dirty. But hopefully, if I did it right, these pads will continue being soft and squishy and pliable, until the next treatment, several months from now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back