The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #11,131 of 12,992
You do realize that is not the most expensive headphone from JVC? You have HA-DX2000 etc.
Also, not only JVC took that path. The vast majority did..take Sony for example...useless headphones, aside from some premium models - Z7 / Z1.
But JVC pioneered a lot of stuff and innovated a lot! They always had some crazy technology behind.

The problem with JVC is that they make a lot of crap products, at least they look like that and also fantastic headphones - they are just not available everywhere.
That's why Japan based people have extraordinary choice. Same goes with amplifiers, that's the deal nowadays...you can still get high quality stuff, but you have to pay a lot.
The bottom line, consumers shape the market (unfortunately). People have no clue about anything, they just buy apple crap and that's the story.
I agree. Bigger audio companies like Sony and JVC occasionally make great stuff, but they also flood the market with a ton of consumer-grade equipment; these have poor to decent sound, are solely aimed at the general user, have crappy build quality, and are definitely far removed from the audiophile realm of products.

At the end of the day, the companies go where the cash is, and that's decidedly within the consumer sphere of things. For example, the WH1000XM3 is, far and away, Sony's most popular product, so iterations are made on a near-yearly basis.

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #11,133 of 12,992
Hey guys, I was just doing a new Google search for headband covers for V-Moda headphones, and finally, somebody made one for the V-Moda headband. So, all you other V-Moda owners out there who agree with me that the stock headband is pathetic, at least now there is an option. I will take a new picture of my cans, once the cover gets here. V-Moda Headband Cover
I bought a tattered and Crossfade LP for $39 off ebay and brushed all the leather off, and then put some fabric paint on the stuff below and it sort of resembles suede
IMG_20200604_032509758.jpg

I have also ordered these from aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33058779064.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.24874c4dq4NoUf
will need some soldering/desoldering, but I am handy with that

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #11,134 of 12,992
I bought a tattered and Crossfade LP for $39 off ebay and brushed all the leather off, and then put some fabric paint on the stuff below and it sort of resembles suede
IMG_20200604_032509758.jpg
I have also ordered these from aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33058779064.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.24874c4dq4NoUf
will need some soldering/desoldering, but I am handy with that

40 dollars is not bad for a used pair of V-Moda's, even if its the old model! A new pair of V-Moda LP2's cost 130 dollars on Amazon right now, but when I bought my pair, they were 150 dollars.

I modded mine using the Wicked Cushion pads, which is the #1 best upgrade you can do for a pair of V-Moda's of any model.
IMG_1556.JPG

And then the #2 second best upgrade I did, is I purchased a headband cover to improve the poor headband cushioning issue. It also has the added benefit of preventing the headband peeling all over my head when it gets old issue lol.
IMG_1571.JPG

I am powering my V-Moda LP2's using a S.M.S.L SP200 amp, which I have modded with a golden aluminum volume knob. It really makes the cans come alive!
IMG_1732.JPG

I am currently using an Ivanky cable with the LP2's, but I will soon be changing that out for a higher quality professional RapcoHorizon AUX TRS cable that is better made.

Is that your first pair of V-Moda's? If so, happy to know another V-Moda owner, so welcome to the team!

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #11,135 of 12,992
40 dollars is not bad for a used pair of V-Moda's, even if its the old model!

Is that your first pair of V-Moda's? If so, happy to know another V-Moda owner, so welcome to the team!
Yes it is.
I think the V Moda Promise keeps the prices artificially inflated, so it's been hard to get a used pair cheap. I am very much a card carrying basshead - My Headphone list is
Sony MDR XB950AP and XB950N1, Skullcandy Crusher Wireless, Crossfade LP, and a Taction Kanon (worst among the bunch and pure hype), and a 1More Triple Driver over ear.
So far compared to the sony's, the LP bass is not so overpowering and somewhat light- so at least I am happy i did not buy the M100/LP2 which everyone was recommending. Can't wait to fit the XL pads.

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #11,136 of 12,992
Yes it is.
I think the V Moda Promise keeps the prices artificially inflated, so it's been hard to get a used pair cheap. I am very much a card carrying basshead - My Headphone list is
Sony MDR XB950AP and XB950N1, Skullcandy Crusher Wireless, Crossfade LP, and a Taction Kanon (worst among the bunch and pure hype), and a 1More Triple Driver over ear.
So far compared to the sony's, the LP bass is not so overpowering and somewhat light- so at least I am happy i did not buy the M100/LP2 which everyone was recommending. Can't wait to fit the XL pads.
Really? Weird. The Crossfade LP is a very bass-heavy headphone, actually. I would never consider it light by any stretch of the imagination.

This is an FR comparison graph between the LP2 and the M-100, and as you can see, it has a sizeable bass hump -

1591283460198.png

The original LP is a bit heavier in the lows than the LP, IMO.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #11,137 of 12,992
Really? Weird. The Crossfade LP is a very bass-heavy headphone, actually. I would never consider it light by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not saying its a bass light headphone - it hits hard. but either my ears are really insensitive to bass from years of blowing them up, but either way, i need lots of it, to the point that I have realized that for me, i have to discount most reviewers rating of bass by a few notches to figure out what I will hear. So something that reviewers say = too much bass is just right for me, and something like the 1more TDOE which is supposedly decently bassy is pretty flat, and the ATHM50 sounded like a studio monitor(dont even ask about my superlux HD668)
Relatively, the XB950's are really boomy - they sound like 80-100hz ish bass, while the LP's are somewhere in the 70-80Hz range which is harder to hear, and the crushers are somewhere in the 40-50 range which is felt more than heard.
Most of the reviews say the LP sounds bloated compared to the LP2 and M100, but I have not heard either of them, but my point was that, compared to the XB950's - they are pretty tight.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #11,138 of 12,992
I have an MDR XB 950N1, and am considering a WH XB900N - How is the bass between the two. not really that interested in the ANC capabilities
Hi, can only speak for the xb950bt not the xb950N1 (never tried them). the 950bt is a bit more bass heavy than the 900N's but 950bt are more muddy sounding than the 900N,
if you're a heavy user of the bass boost button stay with the 950's, if you want clearer sound go for the 900N's.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #11,139 of 12,992
I'm not saying its a bass light headphone - it hits hard. but either my ears are really insensitive to bass from years of blowing them up, but either way, i need lots of it, to the point that I have realized that for me, i have to discount most reviewers rating of bass by a few notches to figure out what I will hear. So something that reviewers say = too much bass is just right for me, and something like the 1more TDOE which is supposedly decently bassy is pretty flat, and the ATHM50 sounded like a studio monitor(dont even ask about my superlux HD668)
Relatively, the XB950's are really boomy - they sound like 80-100hz ish bass, while the LP's are somewhere in the 70-80Hz range which is harder to hear, and the crushers are somewhere in the 40-50 range which is felt more than heard.
Most of the reviews say the LP sounds bloated compared to the LP2 and M100, but I have not heard either of them, but my point was that, compared to the XB950's - they are pretty tight.

It does kind of sound like you might have low range ear damage, but usually when people lose their hearing, its the higher frequencies. But then again, I'm not a hearing expert. There are 3 components to the inner ear, the maleous, inkus, and stapees, and I don't know what any of them do in the ear, I only know about them, cause I heard about them on Star Trek Voyager. LOL - The V-Moda LP2's are designed to be more bassy then the LP1's. But I find, the 2-ways to open them up to their full potential, is (A) running them through the SMSL SP200 amp in high gain, and (B) running them through EQ. These are my current EQ settings.
IMG_1594.JPG

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #11,140 of 12,992
I use the software eq on the chromecast settings mostly. i find Bass treble controls are enough.
Nice EQ btw. I too have a vintage kenwood 2x7 band eq - and the only time i felt like i needed it was to tame the 13k spike on the superlux hd668 (was pretty painful otherwise)
otherwise I use a chromecast audio -> FX audio DAX M6.
when i want to really turn it up, i use a FX audio PH A1 and a Tube 01/Tube 02 (I have way too much FX audio gear lying around)

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #11,141 of 12,992
I use the software eq on the chromecast settings mostly. i find Bass treble controls are enough.
Nice EQ btw. I too have a vintage kenwood 2x7 band eq - and the only time i felt like i needed it was to tame the 13k spike on the superlux hd668 (was pretty painful otherwise)
otherwise I use a chromecast audio -> FX audio DAX M6.
when i want to really turn it up, i use a FX audio PH A1 and a Tube 01/Tube 02 (I have way too much FX audio gear lying around)

HAHA that is so funny, about having too much audio gear lying around, good 1rst world problem to have. HEHE

Well, I am one of those bassheads who also enjoys high frequencies up to a certain point. V-Moda's come with a signature that recesses the highs too much. For the high frequency settings that I've set, would be bloody murder on your Superlux HD668's lol. But for V-Moda's it helps to open up the high range, so they can at least do their best, to bring me the high clarity of vocals, as well as even guitar music. In my opinion, thats the best way to get a little of an open backed can, in a closed back can. Buy a pair of V-Moda LP2's or M100's, and crank up the bass, as well as the highs.

Also in my opinion, there is no need to go broke buying a pair of Sennheizer HD800's. But of course, that is just my opinion lol.

Also, you get a like, purely for the fact that you own a vintage EQ box. :wink:

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #11,142 of 12,992
That's the thing I find weird - the LP and LP2 are both bass-heavy; they are comparable with Sony's Extra Bass line, IMO.

Have a look at the FR graphs for the LP and the XB950 -

1591319843037.png

V-MODA Crossfade LP

1591319921692.png

Sony MDR-XB950

(Graphs courtesy of RAA Pro)

As you can see, the LP has as much of a bass hump as the XB950, if not more. This translates into an equally boomy bass section. There is no way that the LP sounds lighter in the lows than the XB950.

I have heard the latter before, and I found them very similar in sound to the Sony XB900, which I own. I also have the Crossfade LP, LP2 and the Skullcandy Crusher (non wireless).

Honestly, it sounds like your LP may be damaged.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #11,143 of 12,992
HAHA that is so funny, about having too much audio gear lying around, good 1rst world problem to have. HEHE

Well, I am one of those bassheads who also enjoys high frequencies up to a certain point. V-Moda's come with a signature that recesses the highs too much. For the high frequency settings that I've set, would be bloody murder on your Superlux HD668's lol. But for V-Moda's it helps to open up the high range, so they can at least do their best, to bring me the high clarity of vocals, as well as even guitar music. In my opinion, thats the best way to get a little of an open backed can, in a closed back can. Buy a pair of V-Moda LP2's or M100's, and crank up the bass, as well as the highs.

Also in my opinion, there is no need to go broke buying a pair of Sennheizer HD800's. But of course, that is just my opinion lol.

Also, you get a like, purely for the fact that you own a vintage EQ box. :wink:
I, too, prefer some sparkling highs to go with the boosted bass. My preferred sound signature is actually a "V-shaped" one. Bass-heavy, treble-shy headphones are alright (e.g. dark cans), but the lack of energy up top can take a lot away from a dance track; you lose the excitement, an inherent characteristic of EDM.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #11,144 of 12,992
Honestly, it sounds like your LP may be damaged.

He did mention that he bought them used, and his picture does show that they have been well used, so its possible. But I really hope that they are not damaged and are ok, I hate to see it when people lose money on something.

Of course, another issue is, if there is not enough power entering the can's, they won't produce at their capacity. I think he mentioned that he has a tube amp, I'm wondering how much power that tube amp puts out for the cans. Cause at the end of the day, if you got less then 800MW of power going into V-Moda's, they will sound like crap. The sweet spot is right around 1W though. :wink:

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #11,145 of 12,992
He did mention that he bought them used, and his picture does show that they have been well used, so its possible. But I really hope that they are not damaged and are ok, I hate to see it when people lose money on something.

Of course, another issue is, if there is not enough power entering the can's, they won't produce at their capacity. I think he mentioned that he has a tube amp, I'm wondering how much power that tube amp puts out for the cans. Cause at the end of the day, if you got less then 800MW of power going into V-Moda's, they will sound like crap. The sweet spot is right around 1W though. :wink:
In the end, the LP2 has a crappy driver.

You make up for it with boost in what you thought the M100 is supposed to be like (which you haven't heard), this is really interesting though, keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back