The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 10, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #11,101 of 12,993
Correct, which is why I like my new V-Moda LP2's, as the best balance of both sound quality, durable construction, and price. The only issue I have with the V-Moda's is in regarding to comfort. As I mentioned in another post on here, the headband will send you running for the nearest airlock. I wish somebody made headband padding specifically designed for the V-Moda cans, but all I could find were headband padding for Bose headphones.

May 11, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #11,102 of 12,993
My JVC HA-MR77x died and I’m looking for a replacement. Everything on here is either not being made anymore or too expensive for me.

I had to downgrade to Sony XB950b1 but I need more bass and I want it loud. I tested Beyerdynamic DT 770 for a week and I love how they sound but they could only play at 25% of the power I like and after that I heard a driver hitting something when there was a bass. I decided to return them and stay with Sony because they hit my eardrums hard enough to make music fun even if they are objectively worse than DT770 in every other way.

I found two headphones that are in my price range and I wonder if they are going to hit hard enough, Fostex T20RP and Monoprice M1060C. I know they are not going to go as hard as JVC but I think I would be satisfied with something slightly stronger than Sony with a rich sound of DT770 which is what I imagine these would sound like judging from all the reviews. I want opinions about them from people who value strong bass the most and especially if you can compare them to some of headphones from the top10 list.
I listen to minimal techno, progressive psytrance and future house.

I currently use Fiio Q1. I understand that T20RP will need stronger amp to play but I might be able to find something cheap enough to meet the price of 1060c

May 11, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #11,103 of 12,993
JVC used to make quality equipment, but not anymore. Once they sold their souls to China, thats when the companies quality and image got ruined. Trouble is, I didn't know that at the time that I bought my JVC SZ1000E's, but I paid for it when the hinge snapped 4-years later. Thats one of the reasons why I went with V-Moda. Once I found out that headband and hinge were made of metal, the answer was simple. With proper amping and EQ, the V-Moda's 50mm drivers actually hit harder then you would expect. I'm surprised you didn't consider them as an option when choosing a set of new can's?

Make sure to take pics and do a review for us when you get the chance. :L3000:

May 15, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #11,104 of 12,993

New Loki in the chain.
iFi Micro iCan with XBass.
TH-X00.

About to take a trip to bass city.

You need more bass than you can get with Xbass? 😲

😱

I need to turn the Xbass off when I use my THX00 or D2000 with the iCan. Heck, I can't even use my Project Ember with those headphones (too much bass).

I guess you are a real basshead....I salute you. 👍

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #11,105 of 12,993
Reposting my mod of a Bi-amped JVC SZ1K headphone in this thread. Original headband broke and retrofitted Audeze headband. The cheapo Rolls crossover works nicely. RSA F35 for midbass and up. RSA SR71B for the subs. Using the tiny DDhifi Dac. Another cool way to enjoy this beast headphone. You can crack up the bass power separately, which is nice.

89873019_1312722005586030_538371715307143168_o.jpg

89922448_1312766478914916_3049611562537975808_o.jpg

1589567991018.png

May 17, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #11,106 of 12,993
You need more bass than you can get with Xbass? 😲

😱

I need to turn the Xbass off when I use my THX00 or D2000 with the iCan. Heck, I can't even use my Project Ember with those headphones (too much bass).

I guess you are a real basshead....I salute you. 👍

I pretty much leave the XBass on full time with the x00 and depending on how the source is mastered, I’ll crank up the loki. For example, doom eternal with the XBass and Loki is a no go, way too much bass, gets fatiguing quickly. But for action movies and some music, I’ll absolutely crank the Loki up so when the bass hits, it hits. I’m probably getting close to a max of +20-25 dB of clean boost at 20 Hz.

I’m in basshead rehab though and just got an elear. I hit the mechanical clipping issue really fast coming from the x00 crazy bass, but shortly found the XBass alone, with reasonable volume levels, to provide a pretty impressive bass experience that is on the same level as the x00. The two are fairly similar quantity and impact wise up all the way until the elear driver just gives up and goes haywire. That issue prevents it from being “extreme”, but if it kept going the way you’d think it would based on the response at lower levels, it would absolutely have a shot at making the top ten or twenty here.
Also have an emu teak on the way to replace my x00 which has a busted hangar and is just beat up after years of daily use. Here’s to hoping that it’ll hit as hard as the x00

May 17, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #11,107 of 12,993
I pretty much leave the XBass on full time with the x00 and depending on how the source is mastered, I’ll crank up the loki. For example, doom eternal with the XBass and Loki is a no go, way too much bass, gets fatiguing quickly. But for action movies and some music, I’ll absolutely crank the Loki up so when the bass hits, it hits. I’m probably getting close to a max of +20-25 dB of clean boost at 20 Hz.

I’m in basshead rehab though and just got an elear. I hit the mechanical clipping issue really fast coming from the x00 crazy bass, but shortly found the XBass alone, with reasonable volume levels, to provide a pretty impressive bass experience that is on the same level as the x00. The two are fairly similar quantity and impact wise up all the way until the elear driver just gives up and goes haywire. That issue prevents it from being “extreme”, but if it kept going the way you’d think it would based on the response at lower levels, it would absolutely have a shot at making the top ten or twenty here.
Also have an emu teak on the way to replace my x00 which has a busted hangar and is just beat up after years of daily use. Here’s to hoping that it’ll hit as hard as the x00

Basshead rehab, thats hilarious. :smile:

I got to admit sub bass boost up to +20 to 25 DB is most certainly pushing it, dang! I would probably start over-driving my 50mm drivers if I pushed it to +12DB. My EQ box has a powerful transformer, so I got the gain channels as low as they can go -10DB, and I run my EQ at +10DB for the sub-bass range, and I got my V-Moda's amped with a Fiio A5 amp. Once you not only hear the bass, but feel it as well, you know you have your levels set right. :L3000:

May 17, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #11,108 of 12,993
Hey guys, I was just doing a new Google search for headband covers for V-Moda headphones, and finally, somebody made one for the V-Moda headband. So, all you other V-Moda owners out there who agree with me that the stock headband is pathetic, at least now there is an option. I will take a new picture of my cans, once the cover gets here. V-Moda Headband Cover

May 19, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #11,109 of 12,993
OK guys, I told you that I would take pictures of my V-Moda LP2's with the new headband cover on them. It was the first time I put a new headband cover on a headphone before, so it was a bit of a learning experience on how to get it on lol. But as you can see, it fits the headband quite well, does not easily move around. The slight padding in the cover has increased the comfortability, so I really recommend it to all V-Moda wearers of any model.

IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG

Because I have OCD, I noticed the cover wasn't 100% even from side to side, so after I took the pictures, I adjusted it. :wink:

May 20, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #11,110 of 12,993
OK guys, I told you that I would take pictures of my V-Moda LP2's with the new headband cover on them. It was the first time I put a new headband cover on a headphone before, so it was a bit of a learning experience on how to get it on lol. But as you can see, it fits the headband quite well, does not easily move around. The slight padding in the cover has increased the comfortability, so I really recommend it to all V-Moda wearers of any model.

IMG_1571.JPGIMG_1574.JPG

Because I have OCD, I noticed the cover wasn't 100% even from side to side, so after I took the pictures, I adjusted it. :wink:

Hey I saw that too and it looks super ugly. The LP2 headband fabric is known to tear from the inside, so I'll probably get this once it wears out.

May 20, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #11,111 of 12,993
JVC used to make quality equipment, but not anymore. Once they sold their souls to China, thats when the companies quality and image got ruined ….
You do realize that V Moda probably make the vast majority of their gear in China, same as most companies do. Regardless, China is the home of the best quality manufacturing facilities in the world, and crappy ones as well. I actually have more confidence in made in China than anywhere else for the simple reason that they have been doing this for many years now, getting better all the time and with a skilled labour pool and constantly improving production facilities. There is a reason that many of the very finest audio companies on earth are quite confident in moving production to China.

Now there are many ethical issues with China, that is undeniable so while I am talking about quality and reliability I am not giving a blind endorsement.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #11,112 of 12,993
Hey I saw that too and it looks super ugly. The LP2 headband fabric is known to tear from the inside, so I'll probably get this once it wears out.

Yep, you are right, they are known to start peeling after while. And since I wear them more often then most people would, the time they start pealing will not take very long. The main reason why I installed it, since my cans are still so new, is for the padding benefit. Unlike the M-100 and M-200 which have thicker padding, the LP2 headband has very thin padding, and is a chore to wear. At least my headphones are comfortable now, plus I got Wicked Cushion pads on my V-Moda's as well, major improvement IMO.

May 20, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #11,113 of 12,993
You do realize that V Moda probably make the vast majority of their gear in China, same as most companies do. Regardless, China is the home of the best quality manufacturing facilities in the world, and crappy ones as well. I actually have more confidence in made in China than anywhere else for the simple reason that they have been doing this for many years now, getting better all the time and with a skilled labour pool and constantly improving production facilities. There is a reason that many of the very finest audio companies on earth are quite confident in moving production to China.

Now there are many ethical issues with China, that is undeniable so while I am talking about quality and reliability I am not giving a blind endorsement.

Yes, I realize that. Trouble is, there are so many products that come from China that are bad, it often makes me forget about the quality products that do come from China. But you got to realize, the JVC SZ2000 was like a 300 dollar headphone when it first came out. You would expect a 300 dollar headphone not to snap at the hinge, you would expect that 300 dollars would get you something quality right? Well, nobody got the quality they thought they were going to get from JVC's most expensive headphones.

And because of that, I will never trust another JVC product again. Plus, the people who run the company, their personalities have truly snapped. They are mostly catering towards the wireless market now. There interested in making people who jog happy, pathetic. And yes, China does have crappy laybor laws, they allow kids working at sweat shops, making shoes for Nike for example. And they even have factories where adults are not allowed to leave the factory, they lock them in there, force them to work.

May 20, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #11,114 of 12,993
Yes, I realize that. Trouble is, there are so many products that come from China that are bad, it often makes me forget about the quality products that do come from China. But you got to realize, the JVC SZ2000 was like a 300 dollar headphone when it first came out. You would expect a 300 dollar headphone not to snap at the hinge, you would expect that 300 dollars would get you something quality right? Well, nobody got the quality they thought they were going to get from JVC's most expensive headphones.

And because of that, I will never trust another JVC product again. Plus, the people who run the company, their personalities have truly snapped. They are mostly catering towards the wireless market now. There interested in making people who jog happy, pathetic. And yes, China does have crappy laybor laws, they allow kids working at sweat shops, making shoes for Nike for example. And they even have factories where adults are not allowed to leave the factory, they lock them in there, force them to work.

You do realize that is not the most expensive headphone from JVC? You have HA-DX2000 etc.
Also, not only JVC took that path. The vast majority did..take Sony for example...useless headphones, aside from some premium models - Z7 / Z1.
But JVC pioneered a lot of stuff and innovated a lot! They always had some crazy technology behind.

The problem with JVC is that they make a lot of crap products, at least they look like that and also fantastic headphones - they are just not available everywhere.
That's why Japan based people have extraordinary choice. Same goes with amplifiers, that's the deal nowadays...you can still get high quality stuff, but you have to pay a lot.
The bottom line, consumers shape the market (unfortunately). People have no clue about anything, they just buy apple crap and that's the story.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #11,115 of 12,993
Well my EMU Teak finally came yesterday. It’s definitely on the same level as the X00 for bass. I was concerned that the different pads (I think it cane with dekoni sheepskin upgrade as part of the drop deal) and different wood were going to kill the bass response, but nope, it’s absolutely still a bass monster and I think it is slightly better technically overall with the imaging. It might even have tighter sub bass and hit a bit cleaner than the x00, but that’s at crazy listening levels near the distortion point so it’s hard to tell. Emu wood series should be added to the front page with the 600 and x00, especially since it’s basically the only one aside from the 900 and 610 that you can actually buy still. The dekoni pads are also much more comfortable to me than the x00 pads, I have no problem recommending them for fellow bassheads that don’t like the stock x00 pads. They’re not too much different though in shape. Just softer leather, maybe not as angled and possible a bit bigger inside. Just my subjective first impressions. The emu teak will now handle all my gaming and movie duties while the elear will be reserved for music. Despite the elear driver not handling “Xtreme” bass, it still has a lot of impact and hits hard and low enough to be satisfactory even though I’m used to at least 10 dB bass boost with my x00 and now emu. I think I’m all set for a long while until I can afford to try a verite closed with XBass and EQ. Bassheads rejoice, the x00 lives on in the emu wood series, no drop or TH900 required!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back