The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #10,906 of 12,991
I've just come from CanJam London and have owned the Purplehearts for a year and the M-100s + XL pads for 3-4 years.

The M-100s for boosted sub bass quantity probably can't truly be beaten by anything other than the JVCs (Yes, even the Z1R and Fostex lineup) which have still alluded me all these years.
The Purplehearts are very sensitive and are single driver (their weakness). The bass quality is sublime, but the quantity limit can be reached very easily (So no they weren't broken, that's just how they all are). However, it's greater than all the other high-end cans (All ZMFs, both the Focal closed, All the Kennertons, The TH-900s, Most of the Audezes, all of the HiFimans) I've tried them against, except for the LCD-3s, which distort quicker but jesus it's an immense hit. So honestly, I will always recommend them, because the rest of the frequency response is excellent. If Fostex made a dual driver can, it'd be over and that'd probably be my endgame.

I 1v1'd the Cascades and the M100s, in a sub bass battle AND THE CASCADES LOST! (Started distorting quicker) I needed to do it because I remember the mid bass being nuts last year but didn't have my iDSD Micro BL then. Honestly, they're just not worth the money when other things exist, but if mid bass REALLY REALLY is your thing, then go right ahead. The Cascades beat out the Purplehearts in quantity, but not in quality - and the Fostex (plus the Dekoni pads) are still cheaper than the Cascades so....no brainer really.

I need to re-test the Z1R, especially against the Purplehearts, because I'm pretty sure it's the only high end headphone that could take a silly bass boost and keep the rest of the frequency response ultra clean (still no where near the Moda's boost potential, but the most coherent I'd heard). But honestly, keep your Modas, or heck, get a new pair - from what I've heard so far when I posted in another forum, the M-100 Master is weak-sauce, so don't bother.

Planar drivers don't behave like dynamic drivers in the subbass department. You can make the earpads vibrate with them though. My 400i Hifiman and Audeze can go deep in the subbass region with EQ and power. The Hifiman requires more EQ to get there vs the Audeze.

My SZ 2K is still king of bass when it comes to impact on your face and my Vmoda M100 is number two for me. My Crossfade and Crossfade II also puts out proper subbass with an amp.

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #10,907 of 12,991
Wow, that's very interesting to hear! Yeah, most other headphones can't handle my portable rig and app, and the drivers tend to "bottom out with the beat" (i.e., they can't handle the excursion, and tend to slam into the backplate and go, "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" like Rice Krispies). Either that, or those other headphones lack the sub-bass sensitivity of the original M-100, and I get amp clipping from my Cayin C5 fairly easily without it hitting very hard.

Anyway, when I was at the 2017 New York Spring Meetup, one of the attendees brought his pair of M-100s with XL pads. But when I heard them with my setup, they also had less sub-bass sensitivity than mine (with the standard stock pads), and his didn't hit as hard.

I think it's due to the larger interior enclosure space around the earcups (created by the larger pads, which needs more "amps and subwoofers" to fill up in order to achieve the same SPL). It's kind-of like taking a big car stereo out of a small car, installing it into a big SUV, and then wondering why it doesn't hit as hard in the larger interior space of the SUV.

So if you're comparing the sub-bass sensitivity and SPL capability of M-100s with XL pads...to those other headphones, then my M-100s with the standard pads really ought to blow those other ones out of the water!

Yep! This is what I've been thinking. The new M-100 Master has larger earpads, and its drivers probably don't have any additional X-max (i.e. maximum excursion capability) than the original M-100 drivers to fill up that larger interior earcup space. And the new M-100s probably don't have as much sub-bass sensitivity as the old M-100s, either.

I'm still waiting for more reviews to be posted on the new topic thread for the M-100 Master, but I might not wait for the new model to become available in China where I live. Instead, when getting my next paycheck in mid-August, I may just go ahead and add two more original M-100 pairs to my stash so I'm all stocked up for the coming years. :relieved:

(V-Moda told me in an email that they've already stopped production of the original M-100.)

Yep, most headphones bottom out very easily sadly, but at the same time, they're not meant for all this bass insanity, especially when you get higher up the model ranges.

The thing I've noticed about the XL pads is that they have to be fitted perfectly, otherwise the bass will be very disappointing. Without the XL pads, I actually felt my Modas were less bass competent than with. However, when I first fitted them, it sounded like there was a channel imbalance and generally weaker. In any case, I don't doubt the experience you had at the meetup. There are many other factors that could be at play here (wear time, individual drivers, etc etc). I have no reason to believe your Modas wouldn't blow those other cans outta the water though >=D

Yeah, I feel like the Master is the same BS that has already happened - V-moda just refining the sound - which usually means less bass (which is all us bassheads care about :p). I had a weird experience with the CFW2, EQ'ing when using Bluetooth yielded much better results than when EQ'ing cabled. Didn't make any sense.

Anyway, I digress, I'm extremely disappointed to hear this news :'(. If they stop making Modas, there won't be anything left. Just the used market =/

Oh, random note from CanJam, Focal have made closed backs and their sub bass is actually quite nice. But the enclosure rattles; on both ¬_¬.

I guess we'll just have to keep our old cans and settle for quality over quantity later on - there's quite a few cans than can produce some nice basshead-esque bass - even some planars. They're just out of reach for most people - even the Purplehearts, as good as a deal they are compared to what's out there.

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #10,908 of 12,991
Planar drivers don't behave like dynamic drivers in the subbass department. You can make the earpads vibrate with them though. My 400i Hifiman and Audeze can go deep in the subbass region with EQ and power. The Hifiman requires more EQ to get there vs the Audeze.

My SZ 2K is still king of bass when it comes to impact on your face and my Vmoda M100 is number two for me. My Crossfade and Crossfade II also puts out proper subbass with an amp.

Yep, that all sounds right.

The thin membrane in planars usually makes them good for fast, tight, accurate, extending bass, but not high SPL.
I've never been able to adequately drive the LCD-4s the times I've been with them, but the LCD-3s seems to be an exception. Again, that bass hit was immense, but it was definitely suffering.
I remember the LCD-2C both open and closed being pretty impressive. And this year I'm just happy that the Sundaras (which I plan to get for "reference" listening) do have SOME sub bass force capabilities.

It's all about these hybrid designs though. Big ol' DD for the bass/sub bass and something else for the mids/highs.

In the form of in ears, the Noble KHAN did it best IMO. That thing is seriously amazing...but I'm getting off topic and into even more stupidly priced gear.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #10,909 of 12,991
Anyway, I digress, I'm extremely disappointed to hear this news :'(. If they stop making Modas, there won't be anything left. Just the used market =/

there's quite a few cans than can produce some nice basshead-esque bass

At that meetup two years ago, the best headphone there I heard (besides my M-100s) was the Meze 99 Neo. It handled my rig really well and sounded great, but lacked the portability (and probably durability) of the M-100. Still a good headphone I can respect, though.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #10,910 of 12,991
At that meetup two years ago, the best headphone there I heard (beside my M-100s) was the Meze 99 Neo. It handled my rig really well and sounded great, but lacked the portability (and probably durability) of the M-100. Still a good headphone I can respect, though.

Even though the new one is being sold now, the MDR-1A is good too!
I love the Meze 99 Classics, I just wish they would price them more competitively so I could recommend them.
IMO, last year I didn't agree with the crowd that the Neos were more bass competent than the Classics after A/Bing them with my setup, but they're still nice. This year I just went straight to the Classics listening wise. I guess the Neos answer the price issue though so, I can't complain.
Don't underestimate their durability though, pretty sure Meze use good materials. V-Moda are VERY durable though, so hard to beat really.

Jul 30, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #10,911 of 12,991
Yeah, I feel like the Master is the same BS that has already happened.

I'm extremely disappointed to hear this news :'(. If they stop making Modas, there won't be anything left. Just the used market =/

Man...these last 2-to-3 weeks in the headphone world for me (both online and when frequenting my local hi-fi headphone shop for the first time in a year)...have made me feel like Marty McFly when he's in the "Alternate 1985"! :scream:

Especially when he shrugs, "I don't know what the hell's goin' on around here and no one'll give me a simple, straight answer!"

And then, when Marty goes and finds his dad's grave site, the tombstone says the equivalent of...

PRODUCTION OF THE ORIGINAL V-MODA CROSSFADE M-100 HEADPHONES
2 0 1 2 - 2 0 1 9
R . I . P .

And then he screams, "No!...No!...This can't be happening! Oh, God, no! This can't be happening!!!" :tired_face:

Well, anyway...(ha)...I'm just wondering if any other fellow bassheads on here have been feeling the same way in recent weeks and months.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #10,912 of 12,991
The Focal Stellia hits really hard..,

Jul 30, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #10,913 of 12,991
Well, anyway...(ha)...I'm just wondering if any other fellow bassheads on here have been feeling the same way in recent weeks and months.

Yeah, I feel like that too. So I guess it's just a case of finding the SZ 2000s and then investing in actual subs instead >=D

The Focal Stellia hits really hard..,

Yeah, I really like what Focal are doing with their closed cans - but as above:

Oh, random note from CanJam, Focal have made closed backs and their sub bass is actually quite nice. But the enclosure rattles; on both ¬_¬.

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #10,914 of 12,991
I love the Meze 99 Classics, I just wish they would price them more competitively so I could recommend them.
IMO, last year I didn't agree with the crowd that the Neos were more bass competent than the Classics after A/Bing them with my setup, but they're still nice. This year I just went straight to the Classics listening wise. I guess the Neos answer the price issue though so, I can't complain.
Don't underestimate their durability though, pretty sure Meze use good materials. V-Moda are VERY durable though, so hard to beat really.
I do like my MDR-1As. As a bonus, they're super light and comfy

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #10,915 of 12,991
Imo the most durable headphone I have to feel yet are the El8 titanium I mostly do reference listening now but they feel heavy duty. Not an ounce of plastic on em except for the grill under the earpads. Been getting out of the basshead stuff after I got the nighthawks and started getting into the reference stuff. Looking into the focal clear, audeze lcd-3, XC, MX, and a few others. Trying to snag a Denon d5000 right now. What do people think of the new fiio x5mkiii and x7 with the detacheable amp modules? Been a long time since I’ve been on here.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #10,916 of 12,991
The thing I've noticed about the XL pads is that they have to be fitted perfectly, otherwise the bass will be very disappointing...
Every headphone ever, in my experience.
Earpads must be fitted perfectly, and a proper seal around the ears must be achieved with any closed headphone.

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #10,917 of 12,991
Ok, after all the talk of the M100's in here over the last couple/few pages and how people feel they are second only to the SZ2k, I had to snag another pair (I had one 2 or 3 years ago) to see what the hype was about. I got them in early yesterday, and the ear pads were smaller than I remember, sized for kids 5 and younger, lol. I tightened the screws and bolts to make sure they were in super fresh condition. I plugged them into my Emotiva A-100 with the jumpers on, which runs all the juice from the speaker taps out through the headphone jack so the M100's had plenty of juice. I ran a 12db lift on the lows on Equalizer APO, then gave them a healthy low end lift on my JDS Labs Subjective 3. I was expecting all this amazing low clean bass, but I was truly disappointed. There was plenty of bass, but it was sloppy, borderline farty bass. I modded them with some HM5 pads to make them fit and seal better but the bass was still loose. Overall, they are just ok and imo nowhere near the SZ2k for quality or quantity of bass. I then A/B'ed them against my AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbons and the Carbons best them in every way. They are better in the mids and highs, but in this thread its about the lows and the Carbons beat the M100's up and took it's lunch money in the bass department. The Carbons hit harder and cleaner. The only reason I posted this is to say to you guys that are loving your M100, do yourself a massive favor and try yourself a pair of AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbons, you will not regret it. Of course, YMMV but take that trip and find out.

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #10,918 of 12,991
Nighthawk Carbons? Yuck.
and lol

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #10,920 of 12,991
Errr...I already tried the Carbons and they weren't that great for bass - there's no way we're talking about the same headsets.
Actually, I already know we aren't, because I have the XL pads.
Now in another forum, it was posted that someone recently bought 2x M100s, one didn't sound like the originals. Send yours back, try again and this time get XL pads and make sure they're on properly.
I've seen many posts from you so I don't take your opinion lightly, so there are a few things that might differ.
I think your power source is fine and you obvo know how to EQ, the question then would be what you listen to.
For example, I listen to heavy dubstep, something like Think About It by Franky Nuts or the basslines in With You by the same guy should rattle your teeth out with power and a bass boost. As alluded to in the last few posts, pads are imperative.
Honestly, when they're setup properly, I can't see anything from AudioQuest beating out the Modas sub bass / bass wise - even mid bass I have a hard time believing that would be your experience. If you're talking about quality on the other hand, then yeah, comparing it to something like the Purplehearts, it's no context - whilst the Purplehearts (or most other things for that matter) can't keep up with the raw output of the M100s.

That you've already gone through the trouble of sourcing a pair, you probably CBA to run anymore tests or buy the XL pads, but I think if you want to know the true potential of that can, you should give it a proper chance. If they're completely new too, should probably give them a little while to loosen up, the equivalent of a week's constant use or somewhere thereabouts. As you already mentioned though, even if you do do all those things, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back