New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Jul 9, 2019 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 208

Applehusky

Head-Fier
Figured I'd throw this up here in case anyone was looking to get the M100's.
V Moda just announced what looks to be a successor.

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100-master

I'm very interested to see what these are like.

Edit: I've decided to order a pair. I'll give an update here once I get to try them out.

Reserved, but high hopes, especially for comfort.

This thread covers personal thoughts, experiences, and impressions on the M100 Master specifically, and not past V Moda products. This is, of course, unless you're comparing the M100 Master to past V Moda products.

Try to be helpful to those who are considering purchasing the M100 Master by providing clear and concise information.

And as always, please be civil and courteous to your fellow head-fi'ers.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 208
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I was never that impressed with the SQ or the comfort of the M-100.
And this new 'Master' version looks identical to the previous version (which looked identical to the version before that), but now it comes with a big shiny Hi-Res Audio certification sticker (which essentially means nothing).
Think I'll pass. :confused:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 208
I mean, you're not the only one, considering the lack of hype train. No one seems to care about this one.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm going in with an open mind, and if it isn't that great, that's what the return policy is for.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 208
1) Hopefully default pads are like the XL pads that many had to buy due to comfort and fit issues with the default pads.

2) They should fix the too early bass pronuncation. I would prefer 120hz at the very very earliest (the M100 started around 300Hz or so iirrc) and going down low with better sub bass extension.

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 208
Recently McDonald's here in Australia launched a new advertising campaign. Hotter, juicer and tastier. Turns out it was just marketing. Tasted as they always have - crap. Brilliant.

I get the feeling this might be the same.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 208
Or the "great taste". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

giphy (5).gif

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 208
I'm interested in hearing your impressions on them. I love my M100s, although I wouldn't call myself an audiophile.

I'm less optimistic about comfort than I was a few hours ago, though. I asked V Moda support about their new cushions and this was the response:

"The M100 master comes with memory foam cushions, not like the standard cushions on the original M100 and not as thick as the XL cushions. The M100 master has a new design for a slight better sound quality and improved sweat resistance with new headband material and plastic grill rather than metal."

Hopefully that memory foam is better than the foam used in the XL cushions. Better foam + thicker than standard might make them more comfortable than the XLs?

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 208
Got V-Moda's e-mail announcement yesterday morning about the new M-100. I'll be excited to read about M-100 fans' impressions of the new model, versus the old. I'd especially like to hear it sometime with my massive sub-bass app.

Throughout the last 4 years I've created -- and improved -- an app for an iPod Classic with Rockbox firmware, called DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, which I've made ideally for the M-100. With proper amping (such as with a Cayin C5 portable headphone amp), this app will make your M-100s sound like the big car stereo I used to have a long time ago -- with crystal-clear mids & highs, no bloat in the midbass/lower mids, and with throbbing sub-bass to support it all. (40 Hz is typically boosted by a grand total of 30 to 60 dB for most songs, and it doesn't drown out the mids & highs at all -- as the majority of songs don't need a treble boost. No audible distortion, either.)

Anyway, I see that the new M-100 has earcups that have a larger enclosure space around the ears, due to the bigger pads. But since the drivers also have 4 dB greater sensitivity, then maybe this will "even things out," and the new headphones might sound just as loud as the old ones -- and maybe even in the sub-bass region -- as well.

But here's a huge question: do the drivers on the new M-100s also have enough additional X-max (i.e., maximum excursion capability) to make up for the larger earcup space, too?

To understand what I'm talking about...if you take a subwoofer system out of a small car and install it into a big SUV, then it's simply not going to hit or throb as hard as it did in the small car. You're gonna need a lot more amps and subs in the big interior of the SUV to achieve the same sub-bass SPL.

It's the same story with headphone enclosure spaces around your ears. The new M-100s clearly have larger pads -- and therefore larger interior earcup enclosures -- than the old M-100s. The new ones may have drivers with extra sensitivity to make up the difference...but do the new drivers also have the extra X-max that's needed, as well, since they'll need to "move" considerably more to achieve the same sub-bass SPL?

If so...then that's great, and I can't wait to check 'em out. If not, then...while they may be able to achieve the same sub-bass sensitivity as the old ones, however, as soon as I crank up the new ones with my portable rig and EQ-preset app, then the new drivers might go "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" like Rice Crispies as they bottom out with the beat. :triportsad: The majority of headphone brands and models actually tend to do this with my portable system, but not the good old V-Moda M-100s! :gs1000smile:

I also tend to have to replace a pair of my M-100s about once every two years on average -- as one of the drivers will eventually wear out and get blown. (This is the price I'm willing to pay for such an amazing daily experience.) So even if the new M-100 drivers don't "bottom out" with my system, if they don't have enough additional X-max, then they might only last a couple of months, instead of a couple years.

Oh well...I'm looking forward to more information about the new M-100s and reading everyone's impressions of them.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 208
I always enjoyed the M-100's as great closed-back basshead cans. I know they aren't popular here, but I'm interested to see if there's any difference in sound on the 'master' version. Apparently the Crossfade 2 Wireless had different tuning, so it's not out of the picture for these to sound different, perhaps even more preferable to audiophiles.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 208
I'm wishing I had an m100 to compare them to. The best I can do is the LP2, which is apparently in a different ballpark.

Regardless, I'll do my best to compare the two along with my wh1000xm3 even though it's kinda apples to oranges.

I always enjoyed the M-100's as great closed-back basshead cans. I know they aren't popular here, but I'm interested to see if there's any difference in sound on the 'master' version. Apparently the Crossfade 2 Wireless had different tuning, so it's not out of the picture for these to sound different, perhaps even more preferable to audiophiles.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 208
It looks like they're still using the same plastic, crack-prone v-wing brackets and EVEN MORE flake-prone pleather (or vegan leather) on the headband (now on the underside, where the breathable mesh was stitched previously). Why not use velour or Alcantara (or better yet, wrap the entire headband in that breathable mesh)? Their ABCP mantra ("anything but circles and plastic") needs to also include v-shapes and pleather.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 208

Users who are viewing this thread

Back