The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 6, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #10,880 of 12,992
I'm out of the loop, still rocking my 1st gen Backbeat Pro's for work wireless cans.

The skullcrushers were meant to be pretty epic, big passive driver to resonate and get some big airflow.

Is there a serious Razor option? I think of them as a keyboard and laptop brand. I guess the first products from skullcandy were visually vibrant when other brands looked boring, they sounded rubbish. Might have come a long way...

LFE and haptic is generally not a good formula for music. Might be ok for modern wobble-bass throw away pop, but I like to hear the detail the artist worked on (albeit with the bass boosted more than the average punter).

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #10,881 of 12,992
I recently got my hands on a pair of AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbons and these things are crazy in the low end. I mean, not my old SZ2k levels, but like 80% as much bass with much better mids and highs than the JVC. They took 12db from 20hz to 50hz and didn't distort at all. I wasn't even looking at the AudioQuest but there was a sale a few days ago on Amazon and they had them for $199 so I had to give them a try. Super glad I did.

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #10,882 of 12,992
JVC FX850 vs Wooduo 2? Any of you guys had any experience with both? Have used the Wooduo for years and loved them to death. My last pair broke and I can't find them online any more. Wanted something new with good low end/bass and decent quality in overall build and sound. Ran into the JVC FX850 from having read some of the reviews on here and blind bought them. Should receive them in a few weeks but wanted to hear any opinions on 1) how they compare to the Wooduo's (yes, I can wait, but this is quicker) and 2) anything else that comes close to the sound of the Wooduo? Better yet...any place I can still find them for sale?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #10,884 of 12,992
This may be a little off topic but i thought it would be fun to share. My 9 year old son was getting into music last year so I gave him my first set of decent headphones... the Sennheiser HD 380 pro and he's been enjoying it ever since. Just for fun, I told him to come into my room and try my headphones that I hook up to a modi, loki and magni (best i got, sorry). He first tried the 1More triple driver and then told me that he now understands why I gave him the HD 380s. He then tried the Blon B8 and said that they were amazing. Then he tried the DD DXB-04 and didn't like them as much as the others but still more than his HD 380s... As soon as I swapped that out for the UrbanFuns, he started smiling and lifted his hand way up to give me the most enthusiastic thumbs up and said how those are most amazing set of headphones ever. It struck me how he was so confident and sure of the sound quality... especially since my hearing is probably ruined from all the loud bass heavy music I listen to.... so now he wants a pair of urbanfuns for his next birthday.... what did i get myself into? AAAHHHH :wink: Thank goodness my other kids aren't really into music!
his favorites in order:
Urbanfun
Blon B8 (he said they are almost as good)
1More Triple
DD DXB 04
HD 380 pro (which he used to love)

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #10,885 of 12,992
I recently got my hands on a pair of AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbons and these things are crazy in the low end. I mean, not my old SZ2k levels, but like 80% as much bass with much better mids and highs than the JVC. They took 12db from 20hz to 50hz and didn't distort at all. I wasn't even looking at the AudioQuest but there was a sale a few days ago on Amazon and they had them for $199 so I had to give them a try. Super glad I did.
I heard one and wasn't impressed with the sound quality, though I didn't try bass boost. I don't at all like how the cups are attached to the headband only by those cheap-looking rubber suspensions, the headphone will fall apart when those start tearing or disintegrating in a few years. They are probably not good for the headphone's bass, either. At least the Nighthawk looks cool and is very comfortable, I guess.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #10,886 of 12,992
I heard one and wasn't impressed with the sound quality, though I didn't try bass boost. I don't at all like how the cups are attached to the headband only by those cheap-looking rubber suspensions, the headphone will fall apart when those start tearing or disintegrating in a few years. They are probably not good for the headphone's bass, either. At least the Nighthawk looks cool and is very comfortable, I guess.

That's why I love this hobby, it's entirely subjective. I actually like the rubber suspension, makes them extremely comfortable and they hit super hard so I can't see it having much negative effect on the bass. As for them disintegrating, I don't use them outside so I'm not really worried about dry rot but that is an interesting thing to watch out for. Also, did you listen to the Nighthawk or the Nighthawk Carbon? I haven't heard the originals, but from what I've read the Carbons are supposed to be an improved version.

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #10,889 of 12,992
That's why I love this hobby, it's entirely subjective. I actually like the rubber suspension, makes them extremely comfortable and they hit super hard so I can't see it having much negative effect on the bass. As for them disintegrating, I don't use them outside so I'm not really worried about dry rot but that is an interesting thing to watch out for. Also, did you listen to the Nighthawk or the Nighthawk Carbon? I haven't heard the originals, but from what I've read the Carbons are supposed to be an improved version.
About the rubber, I speak from studio microphone repair/modding experience. Whether you use it outside or not is irrelevant.

I heard the carbon, I have not heard the original.
It was a friend's, a bigger basshead than me, and he sold it off.

If you decide to mod the headphone to squeeze more quality out of it, replacing those rubber suspensions with something solid will render improvement in the bass, though you may need to experiment then with comfort mods, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back