The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 12, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #10,816 of 12,992
Chord Mojo adds a nice bump to mid bass and overall warmth.

Planning on getting Cascades someday.

Also my Atticus wants a shot at the crown. Combination of bass quantity + quality is best I’ve ever heard. And the wooden cups add a smoky flavor that’s addictive AF.

ZMF stuff is sublime. Similar to the Kennertons, they're so unassuming outta that box, but those drivers are AWESOME. Both also have high end headphone quality mixed with pretty strong competent bass drivers. I liked the Eikons the most, but at this time they basically look the same (Atticus and Eikons). Definitely a fan, but won't be getting any any time soon - too much other fun things to buy first lol.

I've tried NFB11/12/15, they leave me with my head scratching. What was Kingwa thinking? Their DACs are okay, but the headamps are terrible. The bigger, bulkier gear is generally awesome stuff and what established audio-gd's rep, but these smaller units are surprisingly disappointing, to me. I wouldn't recommend them.

Interesting, I've only heard good things about them - but I haven't tried them. What do you find wrong with them? Noise floor? Lack of actual power? Sound characteristics? Physical connectivity?

11.28 seems to come in a performance model which may be better than their original 11...but, again, I'm only going off research/word of mouth.

May 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #10,817 of 12,992
Mediocre sound and poor output drive.
Fiio portable amps drive headphones better.
Yeah, I'm told they're quite praised. So are Beats.

May 12, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #10,818 of 12,992
Mediocre sound and poor output drive.
Fiio portable amps drive headphones better.
Yeah, I'm told they're quite praised. So are Beats.

Jesus, that's quite the criticism :O
Quite hard to believe BUT....since I have no listening time of my own, everyone else's comments are valid.
For now though, think I'll stop recommending their cheap stuff and stick with the cheap trio (Liquid Spark, Magni, Atom) + the AAA 789.

Most FiiOs are hard to recommend for anything other than a "My First Amp" purchase because the Creative E5 exists.

And lol aint that the truth, for many years I've read so many people say the DT 770s are basshead cans; yeah maybe for audiophiles in the studio on a VERY tight budget xD
Was so gutted when I heard them.
I was so worried, I bought another one. Ah well, at least they have a purpose for movies and anything BUT music.

At least Beats became more of a meme, as opposed to anyone who's been on a forum actually believe the hype at this point.
Though tbf, they're not as bad as they used to be.

May 12, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #10,819 of 12,992
I think you underrate the Fiios mildly. Their DACs are colored and low-res, but as standalone portable amps I think they are a quite right mix of form factor, price, quality, and output drive.

But yeah, I seriously find those compact audio-gd units that disappointing.
Again, the bigger gear from audio-gd is the great stuff. If you haven't tried a C-2 amp, whether a vintage or current iteration, you should give it a go. Definitely a basshead amp, you'll ne in for a treat. The output drive is that good, even the bass light K701 thumps out of that amp. No, no bass boost, just sheer power.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #10,820 of 12,992
I think you underrate the Fiios mildly. Their DACs are colored and low-res, but as standalone portable amps I think they are a quite right mix of form factor, price, quality, and output drive.

But yeah, I seriously find those compact audio-gd units that disappointing.
Again, the bigger gear from audio-gd is the great stuff. If you haven't tried a C-2 amp, whether a vintage or current iteration, you should give it a go. Definitely a basshead amp, you'll ne in for a treat. The output drive is that good, even the bass light K701 thumps out of that amp. No, no bass boost, just sheer power.

After doing a side by side comparison of the Q5 vs E5 on the Beyer DT 1770 and V-Moda M100s, that buried FiiO for me.
Imaging trying to justify buying an E5 over a Q5 to people who go on price point and DAC specs alone. So hard to get people to even give me the time of day on that subject.
I also have one of their super entry level amps and it definitely makes SOME difference, but not expecting anything from it, so fine.
Heard their old desktop amp which needed the E17 (I think - might be something else, long time ago now and cba to Google it lol) for full functionality and those two were both pretty good I think.
A5 has pretty good numbers for an entry level portable amp.
Annoyingly the Creative doesn't release their specs and the independent ones I've seen don't look as impressive as it sounds - so unsure. Might be a little bit like DBZ, power levels are BS sometimes.

Don't think I'll be able to fit the Audio GD into my ecosystem for the forseeable future. iFi iDSD Micro BL and the Emotiva Basx A-100 will cover my amping needs for headphones and speakers. Also plan to endgame with the RME ADI-2 Pro FS, Black Edition, DAC wise - but can also have dual outputs for comparisons and dual listening sessions.

Anyway, I digress.

May 13, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #10,821 of 12,992
Just received a pair of gently used SZ2Ks and contrary to my own expectations, they are actually quite musical! Was expecting bass cannons that obliterated the mids and highs but they are all very much present with the added "oomph" on the low end.

Must say that I am very impressed with these headphones although they are absolutely anemic without sufficient power driving them. I'm used to listening to IEMs which tend not to benefit as much from the added power but these headphones sound completely different. Tried using them straight out of my phone and I actually get more bass coming from my airpods. But when amped properly, these beasts come into their own.

May 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #10,822 of 12,992
Just received a pair of gently used SZ2Ks and contrary to my own expectations, they are actually quite musical! Was expecting bass cannons that obliterated the mids and highs but they are all very much present with the added "oomph" on the low end.

Must say that I am very impressed with these headphones although they are absolutely anemic without sufficient power driving them. I'm used to listening to IEMs which tend not to benefit as much from the added power but these headphones sound completely different. Tried using them straight out of my phone and I actually get more bass coming from my airpods. But when amped properly, these beasts come into their own.
Don't forget eq. They will eat up as much as you throw at them.

May 13, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #10,824 of 12,992
Anyone know how to setup the Project Polaris amp with the JVC HA-Sz2000's? Amp is connected directly to the back of my motherboard.

You use a 3.5mm to RCA cable from your PC to the Polaris, plug in the SZ2k's. I linked you to the manual that shows you what each of the jumpers on the amp do. HERE is that link so you don't have to go find my post.

May 14, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #10,825 of 12,992
Just found kind of a workaround for anyone with an LG v-series phone

Use headphones or a cord with inline volume control. Before plugging it into the phone turn down the volume all the way on the inline control. It will trick the phone into playing with full output. The manufacturer puts restrictions on the output to protect hearing
Either that or use a cord extender and don't plug in the headphones before plugging into the phone. However is stronger with the inline control

May 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #10,827 of 12,992
No and yes.

Kannons dethroned it for a while, but after further testing, the King was recrowned.

RBH HP2’s destroy the JVC SZ2000s. Most, deepest, bass I’ve ever heard was on a HP2 powered by a Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo, with bass boost on (15 dbs at 40 hz if I’m right). No other headphones I own can handle the Vorzamp on boost.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #10,828 of 12,992
RBH HP2’s destroy the JVC SZ2000s. Most, deepest, bass I’ve ever heard was on a HP2 powered by a Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo, with bass boost on (15 dubs at 40 hz if I’m right). No other headphones I own can handle the Vorzamp on boost.

@Hawaiibadboy had a set iirc, and it didn't take the SZ2k down, or even make the list. I'd be curious to see what he has to say about your take on the 2 headphones.

May 18, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #10,830 of 12,992
Just sounds like it gets to M-100 levels.
I was hyped about it for a little bit, but I can't remember why I stopped.
I think it stopped getting made and the remakes weren't as good or something, I can't remember...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back