The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #10,786 of 12,992
Any love for Momentum on-ear, Urbanite on-ear, T50p, DT1350, HD25, and HD8DJ around here?

Know any bass heavy tracks that show 770's bass limitations? A whole list wouldn't hurt.
I'm curious to see if my modified 250-ohm 770 "fails" as well.
i asked hawaii about dj8 he said pass for bass

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #10,787 of 12,992
Well, that might depend on the set, my HD8 DJ has yet to give me any issues.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #10,788 of 12,992
Well, that might depend on the set, my HD8 DJ has yet to give me any issues.
youre right i think i got mixed up with one of the other hd dj series. btw u know which closed back headphones have a wider soundstage than those?

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #10,789 of 12,992
HD630VB & HD380pro (recently discontinued, that's 380, not 280), if I recall correctly, but not by much.

The one with the most impressive soundstage I've ever heard so far is MDR-7509HD (not to be confused with the non-HD version, it has V700 drivers), but it needs a lot of modification. There's woefully insufficient acoustic dampening in the cups for starters, and the need for lots of Dynamat all over, including inside of the hollow spaces inside of the headband forks/gimbals that connect the headphone cups to the headband - the whole headband conducts sound too effectively between cups. If you mute or disconnect, say, the left channel, the right channel will echo loudly through the headband and into the left cup, so you still get sound out of the left side even though you muted/disconnected the left channel! Stuffing the gimbals with Dynamat alleviates the issue completely, and then the soundstage becomes ATH-AD700-tier, seriously.
Then there is a ridiculous frequency peak at the top of the midrange and another at the bottom (mods or not).
Then it has recessed bass, like MDR-1R, though with even less extension.
If Sony re-released it with its issues fixed and bass boosted, it would potentially be a popular closed-back in the $200 and under range, maybe even catch on with gamers for its massive soundstage. It has big 50mm drivers with potential, but the overall design has too many critical flaws.

MDR-V55 is a potential successor, the drivers are very high fidelity for the price, but you have to unleash their sound with Brainwavz HM3 earpads (not HM5, they're too big), but then the severe issue with the driver tuning becomes apparent: three gigantic 18dB peaks span the whole treble range, it's ridiculous. I couldn't figure out a way to tame those peaks without drastic EQ, the headphone is really tuned for its stock earpads with tiny openings for the sound to reach one's ears, but then the overall fidelity is bottlenecked significantly.
I do not remember how well V55 does at soundstaging with the change in earpads, but the tuning needs serious work in order to take advantage of how good those drivers can be with different earpads, lol.

I don't know if anyone here cares for MDR-7510? I found it unimpressive. I doubt it is using 7509HD drivers, not high fidelity enough.

Now that I double-check, Momentum On-ear/HD1 on-ear/Momentum On-ear M2 has wider soundstaging, but it is not as high fidelity as HD8 DJ. Forget the XL version, it comes with much more drawbacks to the sound than improvements over the smaller on-ear version, including narrower soundstage for some reason.

Then there's DT770, but that's apparently not worthy of this lounge, heh.
/end rant

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #10,792 of 12,992
No paper test then GTFO
The Allen & Heath XD-53 deserves a test, I think. Might rock. It is actually a good headphone in overall audio fidelity, but the stock earpads are rubbish. Kinda wish it hadn't been discontinued, I wanted to spend more time with one. I think the XD2-53 might have been its successor, maybe.

May 2, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #10,794 of 12,992
Best amp for the SZ-2000? It'll mostly be connected to my PC so whatever will push these bad boys to the fullest. Thanks in advance.

BTW, also plan on connecting my Philips X2HR's to the amp as well.

I had great success with the iFi Micro iDSD, the Garage1217 Project Polaris and the Emotiva BasX A-100. All 3 amps push the SZ2k into crazy levels of bass.

Just as a heads up, someone is currently selling an Emotiva A-100 here on site right now so you might be able to get a good deal.

May 2, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #10,795 of 12,992
Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #10,796 of 12,992
The Garage1217 Project Polaris looks pretty good. Is the iFi Micro iDSD that much better at the double the price?

Well, the iDSD offers some stuff the Polaris doesn't. Like it's got a battery, making it portable. It's also a DAC, where the Polaris is just an amp. But, you said you were going to only use it as a desktop device so the iDSD probable isn't what you need. Do you have a DAC other than your PC's built in?

May 2, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #10,797 of 12,992
Well, the iDSD offers some stuff the Polaris doesn't. Like it's got a battery, making it portable. It's also a DAC, where the Polaris is just an amp. But, you said you were going to only use it as a desktop device so the iDSD probable isn't what you need. Do you have a DAC other than your PC's built in?
No DAC here. I doubt I'll go portable anytime soon. Going to connect the amp str8 to my PC. I have a high end motherboard and I don't hear any noise when I connect my headphones to it.

May 2, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #10,798 of 12,992
No DAC here. I doubt I'll go portable anytime soon. Going to connect the amp str8 to my PC. I have a high end motherboard and I don't hear any noise when I connect my headphones to it.

Then if I were you, I'd go with the Polaris over the iDSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back