The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 4, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #10,756 of 12,991
Any love for Momentum on-ear, Urbanite on-ear, T50p, DT1350, HD25, and HD8DJ around here?

Know any bass heavy tracks that show 770's bass limitations? A whole list wouldn't hurt.
I'm curious to see if my modified 250-ohm 770 "fails" as well.

Try this

And this

Probably this too

Shouldn't be hard. A little bit of amp and a little bit of bass usually makes it unhappy.

IDK what you've done to yours, but unless you've changed the drivers, I'm rather doubtful.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #10,757 of 12,991
Spent the afternoon playing with the EQ and my Koss Pro4AAA Titanium, never tried to EQ them before.
Provided you have sufficient amplification these things are monsters with a minor low freq adjustment, they go waaaaay loud without distorting the sound.
P.S.: a common misconception about the P4AAATs is that people think they're open backed, but in fact they're closed. The fake grill fuels the confusion.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #10,758 of 12,991
Try this

And this

Probably this too

Shouldn't be hard. A little bit of amp and a little bit of bass usually makes it unhappy.

IDK what you've done to yours, but unless you've changed the drivers, I'm rather doubtful.

Yeah, I was actually expecting that maybe you mistook DT770 revealing to you how some musicians like overdrive on their sounds, and you mistook the overdrive distortion for your headphone's shortcoming. I use a similar track to these that a friend gave me to check if a headphone distorts, and if it does, it means that the driver(s) are defective, it is never a normal limitation. A properly working DT770 would never distort on a normal, bass-heavy track that doesn't clip without you boosting bass with an EQ until it does clip and distort.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #10,759 of 12,991
Yeah, I was actually expecting that maybe you mistook DT770 revealing to you how some musicians like overdrive on their sounds, and you mistook the overdrive distortion for your headphone's shortcoming. I use a similar track to these that a friend gave me to check if a headphone distorts, and if it does, it means that the driver(s) are defective, it is never a normal limitation. A properly working DT770 would never distort on a normal, bass-heavy track that doesn't clip without you boosting bass with an EQ until it does clip and distort.

I haven't tried 'em in a while and I actually tested all the tracks listed above right now.
Tbf, they did pretty well. I've got a Creative E5 which get most things loud - definitely a young budding basshead's friend. Applying any EQs, it doesn't like it, but without EQ, I can turn it up to ~48-50/100 before it starts distorting and that's more than most headphones would take before frying.
For example, my V-Modas get to the same volume at ~25/100 and to listen at 50/100 I need to do a -7db cut across the whole frequency range, however, no distortion is present in the bass.
On the other hand, at the 25/100 listening range I do a +8db boost in the 32hz region and the V-Moda goes nuts without issue. The Beyers at that volume sound like a fan and are much quieter (the latter being expected and excusable as its significantly harder to drive).
It just seems its not made for heavy sub bass, because wave gets transposed to the rest of the frequency response and it sounds terrible - that's why I could never recommend it as a basshead can. Great for films and everything non-music though. It does have extension, just not quantity and the vocal tracking is sublime which is why they use it at radio stations I guess. Plus they're super comfortable for long listening sessions.

But yeah trust me, I have put they Beyers through the ringer in the past. Thought they were broken so bought a completely separate pair and the performance was exactly the same, so I concluded that this is just how they are.
Bit of a shame tbh because it was so highly praised, but it wasn't from bassheads' perspectives, but audiophiles who are used to flatter signatures.
Everything is "extremely V-shaped" if you're comparing it to a HD 650 :p

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #10,760 of 12,991
I haven't tried 'em in a while and I actually tested all the tracks listed above right now.
Tbf, they did pretty well. I've got a Creative E5 which get most things loud - definitely a young budding basshead's friend. Applying any EQs, it doesn't like it, but without EQ, I can turn it up to ~48-50/100 before it starts distorting and that's more than most headphones would take before frying.
For example, my V-Modas get to the same volume at ~25/100 and to listen at 50/100 I need to do a -7db cut across the whole frequency range, however, no distortion is present in the bass.
On the other hand, at the 25/100 listening range I do a +8db boost in the 32hz region and the V-Moda goes nuts without issue. The Beyers at that volume sound like a fan and are much quieter (the latter being expected and excusable as its significantly harder to drive).
It just seems its not made for heavy sub bass, because wave gets transposed to the rest of the frequency response and it sounds terrible - that's why I could never recommend it as a basshead can. Great for films and everything non-music though. It does have extension, just not quantity and the vocal tracking is sublime which is why they use it at radio stations I guess. Plus they're super comfortable for long listening sessions.

But yeah trust me, I have put they Beyers through the ringer in the past. Thought they were broken so bought a completely separate pair and the performance was exactly the same, so I concluded that this is just how they are.
Bit of a shame tbh because it was so highly praised, but it wasn't from bassheads' perspectives, but audiophiles who are used to flatter signatures.
Everything is "extremely V-shaped" if you're comparing it to a HD 650 :p
I think that I understand you now.
So what is your experience with digital vs hardwsre EQs, if any?
This will make for an interesting round of experiments to seehear what my various headphones can do.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #10,761 of 12,991
I think that I understand you now.
So what is your experience with digital vs hardware EQs, if any?
This will make for an interesting round of experiments to seehear what my various headphones can do.

Digital is always more granular unless you have a studio board.
I've tried the Loki once and it does what it says on the tin, but its very limited.
I find I like when there's a good mixture of both, where there's dedicated hardware that you control using software.
For example, the MiniDSP HD with the software is insane. The creative E5 is nice and it does the job, but I will be trying to move to the ifi iDSD Micro Black Label soon so I want to learn how to EQ with APO + Peace.
It's a highly recommended combo.
I've also heard good things about the dbx GoRack in regards to its sub bass enhancing capabilities - and then one of the best devices was that Digizoid from back in the day. They actually never had anything in stock, but I think they're kinda back now. Would love to give it a try, but I remember people highly recommending it in the forums. Pretty pricey at $250-$275 though =/

I used to use PowerAmp on my phone, but I barely do much phone listening nowadays. Does pretty well, but needs some power behind it to be amazing IMO.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #10,763 of 12,991
Has anybody tried the ''Razer Tiamat 2.2 V2''? It looks better on paper than the HA-SZ2000.

• Drivers: 4 x 50 mm Titanium coated diaphragm with Neodymium magnets
  • Frequency response: 20 – 20 kHz
  • Impedance: front 32 Ω, back 16 Ω
  • 3.5 mm combined audio jack
https://www.razer.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-22-v2

Doing some very shallow research, they're apparently pathetic.
Also, on paper, it doesn't look better at all - the frequency response falls short and power handling is orders of magnitude worse on the Razers. The drivers are also smaller =/
Most likely would be best to stay away from this - if you put proper current through it, it'd probably blow up.
On the other hand, you could always acquire some and prove that prediction wrong.

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #10,770 of 12,991
I don't even understand the idea of the razors. Just jamming drivers in there for marketing purposes? More drivers mean more BASS! Atleast there was a point to the JVC's dual drivers.

I believe the Razer will end up being closer to Skullcandy Crushers than the JVC, lol. But, I'm always down to be proven wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back