The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #10,501 of 12,992
Thanks @Redcarmoose :)

I can get Sony for 360e and was always highly anticipating that buy, but was expecting sub par level of bass with rolled off highs and lack of excitement.
I would have to save for Sony and if it is picky, as you say, i think i will skip that one..damn, i always wanted to have 70mm drivers headphones..oh well :)

Best to go to a meet or a Sony store where you can hear them. They are not rare headphones, so lots of chances to hear them. Also, I have not read the thread here, I already know about all I want to know about the Z7 and own a pair. But there may be alternative ways of making them sound good back some pages in this thread. Remember too, the sound people like is a subjective thing. Also I now only listen to two full size headphones the Z1R and the Z7. The Z7 had to be amped and sourced to get close to the level of the Z1R. Your personal expectations may vary from mine. Just try them out and about, they are almost as common as milk.

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #10,502 of 12,992
Tidal users.. UAPP works great for playing audio streaming with EQing... Is there something I can use to EQ Tidal and still access my saved locally files?

Android user.
Headphones : th900
Amp : iFi Micro Black Label

Hey man!

If you ever get the answer to this question please pm me. Also interested in what your eq settings are for maximum bass using uapp. Have 2k, want brain damage!

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #10,503 of 12,992
Best to go to a meet or a Sony store where you can hear them. They are not rare headphones, so lots of chances to hear them. Also, I have not read the thread here, I already know about all I want to know about the Z7 and own a pair. But there may be alternative ways of making them sound good back some pages in this thread. Remember too, the sound people like is a subjective thing. Also I now only listen to two full size headphones the Z1R and the Z7. The Z7 had to be amped and sourced to get close to the level of the Z1R. Your personal expectations may vary from mine. Just try them out and about, they are almost as common as milk.

Yeah, but that is the biggest issue in my country - headphones are marginal thing and you do not have any shop with "commercial" ("non professional") brands and overall, the choice is really scarce. You are practically forced to gamble, when buying.

Thanks anyway, at least i will keep them on my radar and try to find opportunity to hear them :)

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #10,504 of 12,992
Whats the difference doing bass with EQ versus having some bass boost?

Generally control. A Bass boost is usually just a set frequency band being boosted by a set amount (6db for example). Sometimes you have different levels of boost (say from 1-20db) on something like the Fiio E17, but it's still set.
With a basic EQ, it's not really any different to a bass boost, except you can see the frequency band you're boosting,you can make a boost or cut and you get more than an "on/off" switch (more levels of control - instead of just a 6db boost, you get 1,2,3,4,5,6)
Going up the scale you have a parametric EQ which allows you even more control by choosing the width of the affected frequency band you choose and also you get to choose the base frequency you're controlling. This will undoubtedly cover the whole frequency response with at least one of the base points available.
Going up even further, you increase the amount of bands you can control - for example, the previous EQs may only give you 3, 5, 7, 10 or 12 bands to control, but the serious EQs give you 32+ to play with. This allows you to essentially create the perfect sound - but there's only so much EQ can do.

Usually when using bass-heavy headphones, you cut the other frequencies except the bass and turn the volume up. This is because if you kept the other frequencies the same as the bass, you would go deaf very quickly. In other words, you're changing the balance ratio between bass and the rest of the frequency spectrum. Very few headphones have this balance to what bassheads want otherwise no one would take them seriously. But that doesn't matter; we're enthusiasts and will go the extra mile as necessary >=D

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #10,505 of 12,992
Generally control. A Bass boost is usually just a set frequency band being boosted by a set amount (6db for example). Sometimes you have different levels of boost (say from 1-20db) on something like the Fiio E17, but it's still set.
With a basic EQ, it's not really any different to a bass boost, except you can see the frequency band you're boosting,you can make a boost or cut and you get more than an "on/off" switch (more levels of control - instead of just a 6db boost, you get 1,2,3,4,5,6)
Going up the scale you have a parametric EQ which allows you even more control by choosing the width of the affected frequency band you choose and also you get to choose the base frequency you're controlling. This will undoubtedly cover the whole frequency response with at least one of the base points available.
Going up even further, you increase the amount of bands you can control - for example, the previous EQs may only give you 3, 5, 7, 10 or 12 bands to control, but the serious EQs give you 32+ to play with. This allows you to essentially create the perfect sound - but there's only so much EQ can do.

Usually when using bass-heavy headphones, you cut the other frequencies except the bass and turn the volume up. This is because if you kept the other frequencies the same as the bass, you would go deaf very quickly. In other words, you're changing the balance ratio between bass and the rest of the frequency spectrum. Very few headphones have this balance to what bassheads want otherwise no one would take them seriously. But that doesn't matter; we're enthusiasts and will go the extra mile as necessary >=D

Ok, thx.
Short answer would have been enough but thanks!

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #10,506 of 12,992
Jul 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #10,507 of 12,992
Hey man!

If you ever get the answer to this question please pm me. Also interested in what your eq settings are for maximum bass using uapp. Have 2k, want brain damage!

The first post in this thread includes the gear and settings used to get exactly what are in the videos.
You can get it thumping to a point where most folks would not put it on their heads and most bassheads will take brief breaks after 3 tracks then go again.

This is the only thread on Head-Fi that demonstrates claims via video and attaches the steps that made it happen.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #10,508 of 12,992

From a person who endeavors to understand, thank you for this detailed response!

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #10,509 of 12,992
Makes sense! The size and price are the only reasons I'm hesitant. I have a cheap gaming headset and the SZ2k on the way, so I don't have a ton of things to drive. Spending 400 to drive one pair of headphones is a tough pill for me, but if it's going to make them sound THAT much better than the E12 or C5 than maybe.

And the size is huge. I'm walking around my campus constantly so a smaller would be much more convenient for that type of lifestyle. Hm...

You're going to be walking around in public with the SZs? You have greater self image confidence than I... :smile_phones: In my opinion, only women can pull off the oversized headphone look:

upload_2018-7-20_11-52-13.png

When one has a large melon like yours truly, the look is a little different:

upload_2018-7-20_11-53-51.png

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #10,510 of 12,992
You're going to be walking around in public with the SZs? You have greater self image confidence than I... :smile_phones: In my opinion, only women can pull off the oversized headphone look:

When one has a large melon like yours truly, the look is a little different:

I see a lot of people with headphones so I’m not worried about it. I’ve also seen a student walking another student with a dog collar and leash on campus, so I suspect my large headphones probably won’t be TOO odd, lol.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #10,511 of 12,992
Skull Candy Crushers are full on for Bass Heads. And those that are deaf!

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #10,514 of 12,992
Yeah, but that is the biggest issue in my country - headphones are marginal thing and you do not have any shop with "commercial" ("non professional") brands and overall, the choice is really scarce. You are practically forced to gamble, when buying.

Thanks anyway, at least i will keep them on my radar and try to find opportunity to hear them :)

Yes, me too, I have to board an aircraft to listen to new gear.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #10,515 of 12,992
id like to see someone review the bass on m60x

I have them, but i have very limited gear, so take this with reservation - the bass is present and you have to amp them a lot to bring out the bass, but the quality and general impression is really underwhelming. My S500 wipes floor with them in each and every segment, so i would suggest to skip them and save for something better - perhaps mr77x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back