The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #10,367 of 12,992
Greetings,

I would like to thank everyone for working on this thread over the years, after a long time searching I finally found the SZ2000's and am overjoyed. I have also ordered a pair of Kannons upon the recommendation and reviews provided by Hawaiibadboy and others here! Thank you so much!

After about 1 1/2 years use my SZ2000's have developed a static that corresponds to wiggling the cable, took it to a local shop and they failed to repair it. I am a bit alarmed that unopened SZ2000's are hitting $800 dollars now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a mail-in service that repairs and mods headphones they can suggest?

Also I am running a Schiit Jotunheim for my amp, it produces about 1500mw@32 Ohms out of it's unbalanced output, but the balanced output is 5000mw@32 Ohms. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a balanced cable installed and if that level of power would damage the SZ2000's? I also wouldn't mind simply having the drivers remounted into a better made headband and earcups if such a thing was possible. At this point I consider the SZ2000's to be irreplaceable and would like to get them into a state that will last the years, as the stock manufacture really isn't long term durable. (I live in a very small RV and it is hard on equipment) In the realm of wild goose chases perhaps I could get a modder to combine the SZ2000's driver assembly with the Kannon's tactile abilities? (YEESSSS!)

I am getting pretty tired of destroying headphones every year or two, would the Fotex TH900's be a bit more long lasting, they seem to have a better build quality, and I don't expect the Kannons are going to last for years either.

For the last question, is there a closed back planar magnetic headphone that can perform in the fashion that we bassheads would treasure? Did a bit of poking around but there are no recommendations in this thread and I wonder if that is because they simply can't fulfill the role we are looking for :)

Once again thank you in advance for taking the time to share our collective intelligence!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #10,368 of 12,992
Greetings,

I would like to thank everyone for working on this thread over the years, after a long time searching I finally found the SZ2000's and am overjoyed. I have also ordered a pair of Kannons upon the recommendation and reviews provided by Hawaiiboy and others here! Thank you so much!

After about 1 1/2 years use my SZ2000's have developed a static that corresponds to wiggling the cable, took it to a local shop and they failed to repair it. I am a bit alarmed that unopened SZ2000's are hitting $800 dollars now. Does anyone have a recommendation for a mail-in service that repairs and mods headphones they can suggest?

Also I am running a Schiit Jotunheim for my amp, it produces about 1500mw@32 Ohms out of it's unbalanced output, but the balanced output is 5000mw@32 Ohms. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a balanced cable installed and if that level of power would damage the SZ2000's? I also wouldn't mind simply having the drivers remounted into a better made headband and earcups if such a thing was possible. At this point I consider the SZ2000's to be irreplaceable and would like to get them into a state that will last the years, as the stock manufacture really isn't long term durable. (I live in a very small RV and it is hard on equipment) In the realm of wild goose chases perhaps I could get a modder to combine the SZ2000's driver assembly with the Kannon's tactile abilities? (YEESSSS!)

I am getting pretty tired of destroying headphones every year or two, would the Fotex TH900's be a bit more long lasting, they seem to have a better build quality, and I don't expect the Kannons are going to last for years either.

For the last question, is there a closed back planar magnetic headphone that can perform in the fashion that we bassheads would treasure? Did a bit of poking around but there are no recommendations in this thread and I wonder if that is because they simply can't fulfill the role we are looking for :)

Once again thank you in advance for taking the time to share our collective intelligence!

It's the cable of the SZ clearly

@snellemin did a removable cable mod. I think it was him? Send it to him maybe, work out a deal and be one of the few on earth with balanced removable cablle SZ's :wink:

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #10,369 of 12,992
Greetings,

I would like to thank everyone for working on this thread over the years, after a long time searching I finally found the SZ2000's and am overjoyed. I have also ordered a pair of Kannons upon the recommendation and reviews provided by Hawaiiboy and others here! Thank you so much!

Welcome to the site and thread. Just in case you wanted another pair HERE is one for sale on ebay for $245 buy it now, or you could bid on them. As for repairs, I've heard good things about Headphone Repair House in Utah. They may even be able to mod the SZ2k to make the cable removable, and then you could use either an SE or Balanced cable whenever you wanted. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #10,371 of 12,992
Welcome to the site and thread. Just in case you wanted another pair HERE is one for sale on ebay for $245 buy it now, or you could bid on them. As for repairs, I've heard good things about Headphone Repair House in Utah. They may even be able to mod the SZ2k to make the cable removable, and then you could use either an SE or Balanced cable whenever you wanted. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if they feel they can do the cabling job :)

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #10,372 of 12,992
Is there a huge difference between the jvc sz2000 and sz1000 as I can get the later for way cheaper

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #10,373 of 12,992
Is there a huge difference between the jvc sz2000 and sz1000 as I can get the later for way cheaper
I have both, but the sz1000 is my daily driver. The Silver plated cable and the brass ring around the woofer, gives the 2000 the edge. I swapped out the stock cable on the 1000 and gained a small improvement over stock. EQ the 1000 a bit for total enjoyment.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #10,374 of 12,992
So I’ll probably be just as happy with the sz1000 and maybe get a cayin c5 to power it? I can get the sz1000 for less than half the price of sz2000.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #10,375 of 12,992
I know this probably isn't the best place to ask, but im desperate :triportsad:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect my iFi Micro Black Label (USB-A female) to my smartphone (Samsung S8+) That has USB-C connectivity. I'd prefer a digital connection rather than using the 3.5mm jack.

The iFi Micro Black Label has a USB-A (female) plug on it for digital input

Is there such a cable that goes from USB-C to USB-A (male) ? Or am i going to have to stick with 3.5mm?

I'm hoping to bring my TH900's to the next level with this portable combo!

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #10,376 of 12,992

I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect my iFi Micro Black Label (USB-A female) to my smartphone (Samsung S8+) That has USB-C connectivity. I'd prefer a digital connection rather than using the 3.5mm jack.

Is there such a cable that goes from USB-C to USB-A (male) ? Or am i going to have to stick with 3.5mm?

Thanks!

HERE you go, it's the cable I used to connect my iDSD Micro to my LG G5.

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #10,377 of 12,992

Thanks!
use USB 3.1 TYPE C TO USB3.0 PORT OTG cable..
i run my micro bl with this cable from my samsung s8
you can find it at any phone store i guess..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012V56C8...lT&pd_rd_r=6FNN7YV5C89XYKNZH8SY&pd_rd_w=xyoyq

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #10,378 of 12,992
HERE you go, it's the cable I used to connect my iDSD Micro to my LG G5.

Thanks, I think 1metre might be a bit long though ! :)

use USB 3.1 TYPE C TO USB3.0 PORT OTG cable..
i run my micro bl with this cable from my samsung s8
you can find it at any phone store i guess..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012V56C8...lT&pd_rd_r=6FNN7YV5C89XYKNZH8SY&pd_rd_w=xyoyq

Thanks ! Now to hunt one of these out in New Zealand :) Oh the land of expensive stuff :frowning2: !

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #10,380 of 12,992
That was only .15m. But weirdly enough, it now says "Currently Unavailable" and it had a price on it just 10 minutes ago, lol.
My eyes are clearly more tired than I thought .. apologies

This might be why though ...

Headphones :
- TH900mk2 x 2
DAC/Amps
-iFi micro iDSD Black Label
- Chord Mojo
- Cayin C5
- Oppo HA-2

I've purchased the iFi, Chord and Cayin in terms of hunting more power from the Oppo HA-2, so far I'm enjoying the iFi the most, especially as I think using the Chord Mojo out and about isn't going to work so well just due to its design, it's hard to strap to a device, and a hit fiddly to use given the placement of the marbles / buttons.

The Oppo has more bass by default, however I'm sure I can EQ the others to outperform that... After all, what basshead doesn't EQ like a madman?

I suspect the Cayin C5 won't match the iFi's performance.. So I'm leaving that until last.

WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW ?!?!

3wb1pukc.rc4.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back