The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #9,753 of 12,992
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #9,755 of 12,992
So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to add to my collection as my current ones don't cut it bass wise for when I want to listen to besides EDM (mostly hardstyle). I'm interested in both the Fostex TH900's, and the
Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both, and if the TH900's are worth the extra ~$600. A 3rd possibility would be the TH-610's (I love the look of the wood on these the most by far) as a middle of the road priced option.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #9,757 of 12,992
So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to add to my collection as my current ones don't cut it bass wise for when I want to listen to besides EDM (mostly hardstyle). I'm interested in both the Fostex TH900's, and the
Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both, and if the TH900's are worth the extra ~$600. A 3rd possibility would be the TH-610's (I love the look of the wood on these the most by far) as a middle of the road priced option.

I wouldn't recommend you the TH900's until you get a warmer amp. The Jotunheim (which are bright) will only make the treble unbearable.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #9,758 of 12,992
The first post of this thread has maybe 4 exact setups and settings to copy the videos made with SZ
I think you have a bad pair.

I can get my set to a point where the distortion comes from the chassis just shaking like my car does with 2 15" Digital Designs. It's like a tone out at 60Hz just washes over the whole freq like a sub bass wave. Never got the fluttering off or on head but have with several other sets.

Hail Mary idea...

Open em' check for hair on diaphragm and make sure bass tubes are cleared out of any material

I opened them up. Not completely though. Reached towards the cotton-y material and stopped there. Seemed clean to me. Nothing out of the ordinary. Tried with the Cayin C5 and the same EQ on Onkyo. Low gain, can max out. High gain, distortion starts between 4-5.

I'm giving up. I'll just have to accept that either I have a bad unit (most likely), or I'm just failing at tuning them.

EDIT: Red box = as far as I went with disassembly
PpsjgIQm.png

EDIT 2: If there was anything, I wouldn't be getting distortion in both cups, correct? Unless I'm extremely unlucky.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #9,759 of 12,992
I opened them up. Not completely though. Reached towards the cotton-y material and stopped there. Seemed clean to me. Nothing out of the ordinary. Tried with the Cayin C5 and the same EQ on Onkyo. Low gain, can max out. High gain, distortion starts between 4-5.

I'm giving up. I'll just have to accept that either I have a bad unit (most likely), or I'm just failing at tuning them.

PpsjgIQm.png

EDIT 2: If there was anything, I wouldn't be getting distortion in both cups, correct? Unless I'm extremely unlucky.

It's a bad set.
You'd need a cat sleeping on them everynight to get hair and debris on both sides. The fluttering is audible in the vids you made and not in other vids done by me or other users with other gear so it must be a bad set

Having 2 bad drivers in the same set is 100% failure so in that way you are very unlucky. I have heard of one side being distorted or different perceived volume but both drivers fluttering, I have never heard that.
If you got a warranty and are a basshead i rec try again. Nothing touches these for depth and sheer force.
If you love bass but not eq and amping so much maybe another set.

Nah...j/k...try another SZ2k :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #9,760 of 12,992

PpsjgIQm.png

I had the same issues with my HA-SZ1000 from amazon, Switched to a pair of SZ2000's straight from a Japanese ebay seller fixed my issues, they are able to go much louder and have a harder hit.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #9,761 of 12,992
It's a bad set.
You'd need a cat sleeping on them everynight to get hair and debris on both sides. The fluttering is audible in the vids you made and not in other vids done by me or other users with other gear so it must be a bad set

Having 2 bad drivers in the same set is 100% failure so in that way you are very unlucky. I have heard of one side being distorted or different perceived volume but both drivers fluttering, I have never heard that.
If you got a warranty and are a basshead i rec try again. Nothing touches these for depth and sheer force.
If you love bass but not eq and amping so much maybe another set.

Nah...j/k...try another SZ2k :)

Proceeded with returning it on Amazon, and the seller immediately refunded me. Did not even give me a chance to actually return the unit. Uhm...thank you very much...? I feel like I still owe him/her the "allegedly" defective pair.

For the time being, I guess I have spare parts now?

I had the same issues with my HA-SZ1000 from amazon, Switched to a pair of SZ2000's straight from a Japanese ebay seller fixed my issues, they are able to go much louder and have a harder hit.

I got my SZ2k from a seller on Amazon. Since I'm still interested in these HP, can anyone recommend me a place to order them? Preferably where you got them from so I wouldn't have anymore complaints or excuses.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #9,762 of 12,992
I got my SZ2k from a seller on Amazon. Since I'm still interested in these HP, can anyone recommend me a place to order them? Preferably where you got them from so I wouldn't have anymore complaints or excuses.

I bought mine from Amazon as well, haven't had any issues. I'd say that you just happen to get a faulty pair and that buying from Amazon should still be an option moving forward.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #9,763 of 12,992
Proceeded with returning it on Amazon, and the seller immediately refunded me. Did not even give me a chance to actually return the unit. Uhm...thank you very much...? I feel like I still owe him/her the "allegedly" defective pair.

I would still consider Amazon as well, but I bought from this Japanese seller on Ebay that sells multiple SZ2000's: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-JVC-Vic...305680&hash=item2ca9f9490a:g:mK0AAOSwuMFUcDTj

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #9,765 of 12,992

Amazon refunds members in good standing before they receive the returned items. I always get my refund before they receive my item. It's a gesture to trusted members but in 30 days the vendor will probably report you. You'll also get an automated e-mail in about two or less reminding you that they haven't received the item yet because they scan your code when they recieve the item. The 'system' knows you still have the headphones and will update to "return complete" when they receive and scan it in. If your status says "Return complete" then you truly did get very lucky. However, if it says something like "Return started" then they are definitely waiting for it regardless of how fast they refunded you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back