The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 14, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #9,781 of 12,963
This is surprising, always thought the X00's had the most with the denon-esque drivers.

Got my Cayin C5 finally, just gotta find my next headphone ...

@HBB, are you planning on reviewing the production unit of the Taction Kannons? :darthsmile:

That is the plan. Not sure how it's gonna turn out but folks might wanna hold off on their Christmas in Summer purchases :wink:. If it has the tactile slam of the SZ and clarity of studio phones like the demo version I heard then it is a purchase that many should consider.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #9,783 of 12,963
I won a Thinksound ON2 from Massdrop during their bluebox raffle thing and man, they sound pretty damn good. They aren't basshead level but the bass is done very well and the sound is laid back without losing too much on details of the upper frequency range. Imaging and soundstage is amazing for an on-ear phone... On my Cayin C5, the bassboost switch alone is enough to have sub bass presence but still keeping it balanced which served to be great for long listening sessions.Only downside is that being an on-ear type, I can't wear it any longer than 30 minutes or so or the cartilage portion of my ears hurt really bad.

For fun, I decided to mess around a little with EQ and found it tolerates sub-bass gain pretty well. I was able to dial it up to +10 db @ 42 hz / 0.8 / PF and it still felt controlled.

I was hoping my ears would eventually get used to it but it still hurts to use these for extended periods of time :frowning2:

These makes me want the TH-X00's that much more now ... reason being, the sonic signature is pretty similar to the thinksound ON2 weirdly imo .. (though I only was able to briefly audition the th-x00's for only a few minutes)

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #9,785 of 12,963
So I got my new pair...I'm still hearing the same @#$#!#.

Test 1:
--------------
iDSD BL:
Turbo
Xbass ON
3D ON
Bit-Perfect
iEMatch OFF

iPhone 6S Plus:
Onkyo HF Player
EQ same as last video

Results: Can dial up to 10-11 max. More than that, the day of fluttering hits.

Test 2:
------------
iDSD BL:
Normal
Xbass ON
3D ON
Bit-Perfect
iEMatch OFF

iPhone 6S Plus:
Onkyo HF Player
EQ same as last video

Results: Can dial up to 1-2 max. More than that, the dawn of fluttering hits.

Conclusion: There is NO WAY that I have 2 faulty units. My amps aren't the problem either (iDSD BL+Cayin C5). EQ settings are/were taken from the wonderful community.

It's probably a couple of things:

1) DAC/DAP sucks
2) My definition of distortion is broken
3) I'm expecting too much out of the cans
4) Combination of the above
5) All of the above

I am disappointed in the experience and my lack of knowledge. I give up.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #9,786 of 12,963
Ok, do you have another source to try? A PC or Mac? An Android device? My thoughts would be to start to test the links in your chain and by process of elimination, you'll find the culprit. You've gotten the new headphones, next try the source, and then maybe look at the music itself for possible flaws. I honestly don't think you're expecting too much from the SZ2k's. I'm an old school bass head from my car audio days, and I have all the bass I could want bouncing my melon around with these cans. Let us know how that goes.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #9,787 of 12,963
Ok, do you have another source to try? A PC or Mac? An Android device? My thoughts would be to start test the links in your chain and by process of elimination, you'll find the culprit. You've gotten the new headphones, next try the source, and then maybe look at the music itself for possible flaws. I honestly don't think you're expecting too much from the SZ2k's. I'm an old school bass head from my car audio days, and I have all the bass I could want bouncing my melon around with these cans. Let us know how that goes.
I've actually tried it on my PC first with these EQ settings.

Running the amp through digital input.

Test track used for PC and iPhone.

Same output.

Only other test left is to copy someone's exact setup including amp, DAC/DAP, test track and EQ. That way I'd be able to regain some sanity.

Do these cans need "burning"?

Because other than the above thoughts, I'm all out of ideas.

I appreciate you guys for still bearing with me on this one.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #9,788 of 12,963
I'm not familiar with ReaEq, so I can't speak to that. As for running the amp (iDSD?) through digital input, do you mean optical/coaxial SPDIF? Or USB? I downloaded your test track and I'll try it in the morning and see if I hear anything.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #9,789 of 12,963
I'm not familiar with ReaEq, so I can't speak to that. As for running the amp (iDSD?) through digital input, do you mean optical/coaxial SPDIF? Or USB? I downloaded your test track and I'll try it in the morning and see if I hear anything.
iDSD, yes. Running it through USB.

I don't mind switching EQ software if it means getting better output.

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #9,790 of 12,963
iDSD, yes. Running it through USB.

I don't mind switching EQ software if it means getting better output.

Does your EQ have a feature that automatically prevents clipping? I use foobar Equalizer APO, and without that feature turned on, I do get bass distortion.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #9,792 of 12,963
Not that I'm aware of, no.

I'd just like to be able to reach the same SPL with the paper tests without the distortion.

I didn't know people used Reaper for listening to music... You might already know this stuff but just in case: Are you sure there's nothing else going on inside the DAW? Just for example my own system is really poorly optimized for this type of software and tends to run inot latency issues that can cause weird clipping in this type of software, particularly with USB peripherals (there are some latency monitoring programs that might help find out). Are you using the iDSD ASIO driver? If not I think that would at least ensure nothing else in Windows is messing with the sound (i.e. windows sound enchancements or other system packaged crap). Have you tried Foobar?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #9,793 of 12,963
I didn't know people used Reaper for listening to music... You might already know this stuff but just in case: Are you sure there's nothing else going on inside the DAW? Just for example my own system is really poorly optimized for this type of software and tends to run inot latency issues that can cause weird clipping in this type of software, particularly with USB peripherals (there are some latency monitoring programs that might help find out). Are you using the iDSD ASIO driver? If not I think that would at least ensure nothing else in Windows is messing with the sound (i.e. windows sound enchancements or other system packaged crap). Have you tried Foobar?
I am using Foobar. For EQ, I'm using ReaEQ through George Yohng's VST Wrapper within Foobar.

I'm also using iDSD's drivers with zero Windows enhancement. Here are some pics.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #9,794 of 12,963
I am using Foobar. For EQ, I'm using ReaEQ through George Yohng's VST Wrapper within Foobar.

I'm also using iDSD's drivers with zero Windows enhancement. Here are some pics.

OK that makes much more sense than using Reaper for playback! :face_palm:

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #9,795 of 12,963
I've actually tried it on my PC first with these EQ settings.

Running the amp through digital input.

Test track used for PC and iPhone.

Same output.

Only other test left is to copy someone's exact setup including amp, DAC/DAP, test track and EQ. That way I'd be able to regain some sanity.

Do these cans need "burning"?

Because other than the above thoughts, I'm all out of ideas.

I appreciate you guys for still bearing with me on this one.

Come to think of it, i was getting distortion at 1-2 o'clock (idsd) when I was using Equalify for spotify on my pc. Might be a combination of things on your pc setup. Only thing I can suggest is try Neutron for iphone. If that doesn't work, then I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back