The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #9,736 of 12,992
Thank you very much! Trying to be as technical as possible.

- That is correct, I am feeding via PC.
- Guess my iPhone can be considered a DAP. Here are two videos.

Demonstrating the app I'm using: Accudio. Adding the "True HiFi" profile for the cans.

In case the EQ settings weren't visible enough, here they are.

Results

Same amp settings as above.

- I did try singling out the 55Hz frequency and maxing it out on the PC, but the end results were still terrible.

I can try with the Cayin C5, but I'm sure it'll be a similar scenario. Anything that I've missed? Should I be considered with "Direct/Preamp" or "IEM Sensitivity"?

I never used that correction software.

i think someone with PC in the chain or who uses that software (some do) can better help you.

If nobody chimes in i will try to sort it out.

Can you download ONKYO player and use the PEQ to make a slope without correction software in the equation?

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #9,737 of 12,992
Decided to revisit troubleshooting my concerns. This time I've uploaded a video. I've added a small white sticker on the amp's volume indicator for better visibility.

Test Track

Video

EQ Settings

Turbo
Xbass ON
3D ON
Direct

What do you guys think? Is this distortion or am I losing it?

While we're on the subject, are there any "scientific" tests that can be done to determine whether the cans are clipping/distorting?

Thanks again.

Do you hear the distortion with when you have them on?

I'm just asking because in some of the paper test that we do, it sounds like distortion but when we put it on, it sounds fine.

Also, these sets aren't meant to be pushed this hard, so sometimes its the housing thats being pushed to the limit. Not saying your wrong, just troubleshooting.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #9,738 of 12,992
I'd have to agree with chillaxing's post. I get a similar sound when I push my SZ2k with my iDSD up to 2 o'clock with them sitting on the table. When they are on my head, I can take them to 1 o'clock before I have to quit, but there is no distortion.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9,739 of 12,992
I never used that correction software.

i think someone with PC in the chain or who uses that software (some do) can better help you.

If nobody chimes in i will try to sort it out.

Can you download ONKYO player and use the PEQ to make a slope without correction software in the equation?
Tried something like this:
JUFKIzKm.png

Still getting "the fluttering". Seriously, that's like the best description for this kind of problem.

Do you hear the distortion with when you have them on?

I'm just asking because in some of the paper test that we do, it sounds like distortion but when we put it on, it sounds fine.

Also, these sets aren't meant to be pushed this hard, so sometimes its the housing thats being pushed to the limit. Not saying your wrong, just troubleshooting.
I do hear it. Reminds of cars with extreme bass where the windows make a fluttering/vibrating sound. Used to be one of those guys too. Only difference is that I'm sure it's the housing that's vibrating violently. I am getting the "rumbles", but they do not feel clean at all.

I'd have to agree with chillaxing's post. I get a similar sound when I push my SZ2k with my iDSD up to 2 o'clock with them sitting on the table. When they are on my head, I can take them to 1 o'clock before I have to quit, but there is no distortion.
I can barely take them up to 11-12 o'clock when distortion kicks in.

I'd love to replicate exactly what your setups are. Wouldn't mind spending extra dough just to figure this one out.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #9,740 of 12,992
JUFKIzKm.png

Still getting "the fluttering". Seriously, that's like the best description for this kind of problem.

Did you try what HBB suggested at all? You're EQ'ing up, instead of down. That 63hz should be at 0db (the middle line).

• Drop all freq to floor across the board except for a peak at 55Hz as high as you can until the roll-off hits 0dB at the beginning of the EQ graph (20Hz?)
  • Now max that.
You can compensate for lower slope with more gain since the other freq are flattened.

Are you still getting the fluttering?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #9,743 of 12,992
Damn man, that might make a grown man cry, lol. If I remember correctly, one other person had that happen. I'm not 100%, but I think I read that a while back.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #9,745 of 12,992
Damn man, that might make a grown man cry, lol. If I remember correctly, one other person had that happen. I'm not 100%, but I think I read that a while back.

Oh yes, I did cry. By far this was the toughest and worthiest headphones I ever owned.

OOoooh, that hurts seeing that happen to the JVC. Any plans on fixing it?

I tried looking for spares/broken ones, couldn't find one. Just came here to ask anyone who has come across any pair's parts that could be salvaged. It's just the top hinge needs replacing.

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #9,746 of 12,992
So today, one of the hinges of my jvc sz2k decided to snap on me.

XRBUaqb.jpg

Has anyone gone through this before?

Several folks (3 that I can recall in the SZ thread ) had this happen. :frowning2:

JUFKIzKm.png

I do hear it. Reminds of cars with extreme bass where the windows make a fluttering/vibrating sound. Used to be one of those guys too. Only difference is that I'm sure it's the housing that's vibrating violently. I am getting the "rumbles", but they do not feel clean at all.

I can barely take them up to 11-12 o'clock when distortion kicks in.

I'd love to replicate exactly what your setups are. Wouldn't mind spending extra dough just to figure this one out.

The first post of this thread has maybe 4 exact setups and settings to copy the videos made with SZ
I think you have a bad pair.

I can get my set to a point where the distortion comes from the chassis just shaking like my car does with 2 15" Digital Designs. It's like a tone out at 60Hz just washes over the whole freq like a sub bass wave. Never got the fluttering off or on head but have with several other sets.

Hail Mary idea...

Open em' check for hair on diaphragm and make sure bass tubes are cleared out of any material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back