The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #9,616 of 12,991
Alright fellas, I am going to pick up an amp/dac to upgrade my E10k, would like your thoughts on the 3...

Cayin C6 / DAC
Cayin C5 / DAC
FiiO E12

It seems like the C5 may have a better bass boost but I've never heard of the C6 before. FiiO E12 seems to be an oldschool favorite with lots of headroom and lots of available power.

Honorable Mention: If Massdrop gets the o2 amp/dac I may hop on that. Also considering a schit stack (magni/modi)..

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #9,617 of 12,991
Alright fellas, I am going to pick up an amp/dac to upgrade my E10k, would like your thoughts on the 3...

Cayin C6 / DAC
Cayin C5 / DAC
FiiO E12

It seems like the C5 may have a better bass boost but I've never heard of the C6 before. FiiO E12 seems to be an oldschool favorite with lots of headroom and lots of available power.

Honorable Mention: If Massdrop gets the o2 amp/dac I may hop on that. Also considering a schit stack (magni/modi)..

Only the E12 is bass head material. The Cayin C5 is too, but not the dac combo version.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #9,618 of 12,991
Cayin C6 only works with iDevices but can be had cheap on Amazon since they weren't a hot seller because of that.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #9,619 of 12,991
Only the E12 is bass head material. The Cayin C5 is too, but not the dac combo version.

From what I recall, the A5 was suppose to replace the E12 correct? I think it has the same chipset as the E12A. Output is 800 mW at 32 ohms like the Caiyin.

I thought the only difference between the C5 and C5 Spark was that a dac was added to the spark? Wouldn't the amp output be the same?

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #9,620 of 12,991
From what I recall, the A5 was suppose to replace the E12 correct? I think it has the same chipset as the E12A. Output is 800 mW at 32 ohms like the Caiyin.

I thought the only difference between the C5 and C5 Spark was that a dac was added to the spark? Wouldn't the amp output be the same?

Look at the specs and you'll notice the dac version has less power in the Cayin.

Yes the A5 uses the same Muses02 as the E12A, just with more power. The Muses02 is what I personally use for my basshead needs in my PB2.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #9,621 of 12,991
Look at the specs and you'll notice the dac version has less power in the Cayin.

Yes the A5 uses the same Muses02 as the E12A, just with more power. The Muses02 is what I personally use for my basshead needs in my PB2.

If I got the Cayin, I'd have to use the Line Out on my E10K and plug it into the Cayin's Line-in (the port next to the headphone jack I presume). I think it's a bit annoying to turn on the Cayin and E10K every time, plus the cable is going to have to run backwards (line out is on the back of the E10K) so it's not going to look as tidy.

I think I'm going to sacrifice that bass boost function of the Cayin and cross shop the A5/K5...

Leaning more towards A5, but since this will be used 99% on my desk, the K5 seems enticing. Not to mention the K5 has even more power than the A5, but the only draw back being the useless dock since I don't own and don't plan on owning any FiiO DAP's.

Also,

What are your thoughts (or anyone reading) on the Schiit Magni 2? I think that one doubles the output of all the amps listed here for the same price. Any reason people don't use it more often here, other than the fact that its' not portable?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #9,622 of 12,991
If I got the Cayin, I'd have to use the Line Out on my E10K and plug it into the Cayin's Line-in (the port next to the headphone jack I presume). I think it's a bit annoying to turn on the Cayin and E10K every time, plus the cable is going to have to run backwards (line out is on the back of the E10K) so it's not going to look as tidy.

I think I'm going to sacrifice that bass boost function of the Cayin and cross shop the A5/K5...

Leaning more towards A5, but since this will be used 99% on my desk, the K5 seems enticing. Not to mention the K5 has even more power than the A5, but the only draw back being the useless dock since I don't own and don't plan on owning any FiiO DAP's.

Also,

What are your thoughts (or anyone reading) on the Schiit Magni 2? I think that one doubles the output of all the amps listed here for the same price. Any reason people don't use it more often here, other than the fact that its' not portable?

For the money of the Magni, I rather get a better desktop amp that will drive anything I throw at it within the same price range. The power supply section of the Magni doesn't impress me much, but I'm waiting on a decent priced used unit to modify myself and see how far I can go with it.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #9,623 of 12,991
For the money of the Magni, I rather get a better desktop amp that will drive anything I throw at it within the same price range. The power supply section of the Magni doesn't impress me much, but I'm waiting on a decent priced used unit to modify myself and see how far I can go with it.

Magni is actually cheaper than the A5, what other options are there for the 100-150 dollar price range?

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #9,625 of 12,991
Currently my TH900 mod with Wywires Platinum Series cable and Dekoni pads is the hardest hitting bass headphone with no issue whatsoever on highs at all - none and not even sibilance. Thought of selling it or upgrade to something else but now its definitely a keeper for me.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #9,626 of 12,991
Currently my TH900 mod with Wywires Platinum Series cable and Dekoni pads is the hardest hitting bass headphone with no issue whatsoever on highs at all - none and not even sibilance. Thought of selling it or upgrade to something else but now its definitely a keeper for me.

People have different hearing and some folks are flat out parrot talking morons. They repeat what other people say.

That is an awesome rig you have. Hand laquered awesomeness. Keep the gem!

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #9,627 of 12,991
Magni is actually cheaper than the A5, what other options are there for the 100-150 dollar price range?

For a little more you can go with this.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/100

I haven't used it yet, but if i was about to setup a desktop rig again, i would be using this. They are well regarded in the home audio world.

12watts @33ohm is a lot, just make sure you use a preamp so you can adjust the voltage going in the amp.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #9,628 of 12,991
For a little more you can go with this.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/100

I haven't used it yet, but if i was about to setup a desktop rig again, i would be using this. They are well regarded in the home audio world.

12watts @33ohm is a lot, just make sure you use a preamp so you can adjust the voltage going in the amp.

Sweeet Jeebus, that's 12W a channel @ 33ohm for $229! Insane.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #9,629 of 12,991
Sweeet Jeebus, that's 12W a channel @ 33ohm for $229! Insane.

yaaaa boyyyyy, look at those caps. Real power.....

Jun 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #9,630 of 12,991
So I was bored with my interconnect cable today. Since I maxed out the PB2 amp in performance and sound quality, so a last upgrade was needed. At work we have to high quality flexible 18awg power cables. So I took one and made a interconnect using recycled Cable matters 3.5mm TRS. I thought I was just imagining things, but my 15 yr old son confirmed it. Sound is more dynamic with cleaner deeper bass. Next upgrade will be the SZ2000 TRS to TRRS connector to take advantage of the pseudo balanced output of the PB2. 10 Minutes to make this cable and pushing the SZ1000 to subbass Nirvana.

20170617_164656_HDR.jpg
20170617_164724_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back