The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 9, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #9,601 of 12,991
161521.jpg

For you budget guys.

open it up throw in a jack and some resistors....

BAM!! 15watts!!!!

I would try this if i was still rocking a desktop rig.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16152

For Bassheads the question is; What is the wattage @ 20Hz?

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #9,602 of 12,991
Never owned any headphones before, never owned amps before, been listening to music all my life on stock apple earpods.
But techno changed me and so begins my foray into bass cans (also after following this thread for some time. :D)

I first bought the Pro700mk2 two weeks ago used for $70, at first running it using my un-amped, straight-from-iPhone source set-up. Severe disappointment ensued as touted bass performance from reviews were nowhere to be found. Dynamics were on par with my stock Apple earpods, if you would allow me to be so blasphemous.
Did more digging on forums and bought an E12 for $80, some improvements in volume and body of the sound, but still not to my satisfaction in the bass department.
The magic came when I learned about EQ (I use CloudEQ parametric equalizer app on iPhone to EQ soundcloud tracks).
The trick was to make an extreme V-shape curve.. dropping overall gain to -16db, dropping mids to all the way to -12 and then pumping lows all the way up +10, and trebles +8.
With the E12's knob at max volume and its 'gain' toggle turned on, I had finally achieved what I suppose is the "take two subwoofers and stuff it on your head" effect described by one of the online reviews. Much air is being moved in the low frequencies, I like. Never thought 32ohm cans needed this much juicing.

Just as I was starting to fall in love with the Pro700mk2's, I wanted more, so I found out about the JVC HZ2000 'King of Bass' cans in the other thread.
Went out and bought one used for $80, I tested it for about 30 secs while it was still on stock earpads - I have to say it's not at all impressive compared to above tuned Pro700mk2, which is giving the SZ2000's a real run for its money. Level of disappointment in my heart seem to mirror that of when I first used the Pro700mk2's un-amped, un-EQ-ed.
I came home, threw away the flaking earpads, ordered some Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather replacements for $40, and will not be using the headphones prior to the arrival of the pads tomorrow.

So, this left me wondering... With the amount of positive raves about the SZ2000s in this forum, will it live up to the Pro700mk2's?
I'm a bit concerned with what came across as rather mediocre sound from my 30sec testing even with the E12 and CloudEQ setup.
The earpads are the only saving grace now, and I'm quite curious about how much it can change the sound when it arrives tomorrow.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #9,603 of 12,991
Never owned any headphones before, never owned amps before, been listening to music all my life on stock apple earpods.
But techno changed me and so begins my foray into bass cans (also after following this thread for some time. :D)

I first bought the Pro700mk2 two weeks ago used for $70, at first running it using my un-amped, straight-from-iPhone source set-up. Severe disappointment ensued as touted bass performance from reviews were nowhere to be found. Dynamics were on par with my stock Apple earpods, if you would allow me to be so blasphemous.
Did more digging on forums and bought an E12 for $80, some improvements in volume and body of the sound, but still not to my satisfaction in the bass department.
The magic came when I learned about EQ (I use CloudEQ parametric equalizer app on iPhone to EQ soundcloud tracks).
The trick was to make an extreme V-shape curve.. dropping overall gain to -16db, dropping mids to all the way to -12 and then pumping lows all the way up +10, and trebles +8. With the E12's knob at max volume and its 'gain' toggle turned on, I had finally achieved what I thought is the "take two subwoofers to your head" effect seen in one of the online reviews. Much air is being moved in the low frequencies, I like. Never thought 32ohm cans loved so much juicing.

Just as I was starting to fall in love with the Pro700mk2's, I wanted more, so I found out about the JVC HZ2000 'King of Bass' cans in the other thread.
Went out and bought one used for $80, I tested it for about 30 secs while it was still on stock earpads - I have to say it's not at all impressive compared to above tuned Pro700mk2, which is giving the SZ2000's a real run for its money. Level of disappointment in my heart seem to mirror that time when I first used the Pro700mk2's out of the box.
I came home, threw away the flaking earpads, ordered some Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather replacements for $40, and will not be using the headphones prior to the arrival of the pads tomorrow.

So, this left me wondering... With the amount of positive raves about the SZ2000s in this forum, will it live up to the Pro700mk2's?
I'm a bit concerned with what came across as rather mediocre sound from my 30sec testing even with the E12 and CloudEQ setup.
The earpads are the only saving grace now, and I'm quite curious about how much it can change the sound when it arrives tomorrow.

Opinions?

Good journey my man.

if your looking for something with the most impact then its the sz2k. But in order to achieve maximum impact you need the pads off a jvc x55. I've never tried the hm5 pads but if do search on both this thread and the sz thread, you'll see that the hm5 pads are more for comfort than impact. I haven't tried the sz with hm5 pads or the pro700mk2, so i can't give you a comparison to between the two. What I do know is that nothing can beat the sz2000 with x55 pads for bass quantity. NOTHING.

Jun 10, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #9,604 of 12,991
Good journey my man.

if your looking for something with the most impact then its the sz2k. But in order to achieve maximum impact you need the pads off a jvc x55. I've never tried the hm5 pads but if do search on both this thread and the sz thread, you'll see that the hm5 pads are more for comfort than impact. I haven't tried the sz with hm5 pads or the pro700mk2, so i can't give you a comparison to between the two. What I do know is that nothing can beat the sz2000 with x55 pads for bass quantity. NOTHING.

May I know how can one acquire the 55x pads without actually owning the 55x headphones themselves?

Perhaps someone could point to a shopping link because I have tried searching Amazon, eBay, to no avail.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #9,605 of 12,991
May I know how can one acquire the 55x pads without actually owning the 55x headphones themselves?

Perhaps someone could point to a shopping link because I have tried searching Amazon, eBay, to no avail.

only way to get a set is to buy the headphones and take off the pads or find someone on here that is selling a set. they don't sell the pads seperately.

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #9,606 of 12,991
Hi all, this is my first thread @.@
I've been around, for a while - reading different threads and trying to get usable pre-purchase info.

I currently own Sony XB950AP and i would like to know if any of you guys had the opportunity to try these, so you can give me a comparison with some of the other gear i would like to have.
Sony has enough bass quantity for me and overall, i really like them, but would like to upgrade them with the same (or bigger) quantity and more refined sound.

I am considering Audio Technica ATH-WS770IS & JVC HA-SZ1000.
Can anyone tell me would this be a significant upgrade, compared to the Sony i have?

Also, would like to know opinion on JVC HA-SR85S & JVC HA-MR77X.

I am using all simply connected to my PC + software EQ, so it is important to have headphone that is not power-dependent.

Thank you =)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #9,607 of 12,991
Hi, I am about to acquire the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100is after I have read all the available reviews which are saying these have a very good bass and preserving in the same time the high-quality audio fidelity of the MSR7. Audio-Technica reputation for high-end audio headphones is well known so no worries there. The questions is if someone has tested these headphones and if they provide better sound quality with solid bass comparing to V-Moda M100 or JVC SZ200. I know the V-Moda and JVC provide the most deeper bass but from what the many reviews available around it resulted the overall sound is not that good, JVC build quality is poor and V-Moda it is not exactly audiophile grade.
Anyway, I will appreciate an opinion. This forum is too long and if someone discussed already this subject I apologize for bringing it up again, but I really need to know before purchasing the ATH-WS110is. Thank you

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,608 of 12,991
Hi all, this is my first thread @.@
I've been around, for a while - reading different threads and trying to get usable pre-purchase info.

I currently own Sony XB950AP and i would like to know if any of you guys had the opportunity to try these, so you can give me a comparison with some of the other gear i would like to have.
Sony has enough bass quantity for me and overall, i really like them, but would like to upgrade them with the same (or bigger) quantity and more refined sound.

I am considering Audio Technica ATH-WS770IS & JVC HA-SZ1000.
Can anyone tell me would this be a significant upgrade, compared to the Sony i have?

Also, would like to know opinion on JVC HA-SR85S & JVC HA-MR77X.

I am using all simply connected to my PC + software EQ, so it is important to have headphone that is not power-dependent.

Thank you =)

I've not heard the XB950AP, so I'm not sure exactly how much of an upgrade the Audio Technica WS770iS or JVC SZ1k would be. However, I own the WS770iS and the SZ2k, and I can tell you that the JVC require a good bit of power to really hit hard and liberal use of EQ. The WS770iS requires EQ as well, but less juice to have decent slam. Keep in mind though that the AT will never hit as hard as the JVC are capable of hitting. You might want to think about whether you intend to get an amp in the future, and that would help you to decide which headphone to pursue.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #9,609 of 12,991
Hi, I am about to acquire the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100is after I have read all the available reviews which are saying these have a very good bass and preserving in the same time the high-quality audio fidelity of the MSR7. Audio-Technica reputation for high-end audio headphones is well known so no worries there. The questions is if someone has tested these headphones and if they provide better sound quality with solid bass comparing to V-Moda M100 or JVC SZ200. I know the V-Moda and JVC provide the most deeper bass but from what the many reviews available around it resulted the overall sound is not that good, JVC build quality is poor and V-Moda it is not exactly audiophile grade.
Anyway, I will appreciate an opinion. This forum is too long and if someone discussed already this subject I apologize for bringing it up again, but I really need to know before purchasing the ATH-WS110is. Thank you

I own the WS1100iS's little brother, the WS770iS, and yes, the Solid Bass series from AT do have the ability to hit hard and still maintain a good clean sound stage, but they work best with an amp. I used to own the V-MODA M100's and I like the WS770iS better. And for me personally, even with the XL pads, the M100 was a torture device, lol. Now as far as the JVC SZ2k build quality, I've had zero issues and they don't feel cheap. The SZ2k does indeed have the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone, but it doesn't sound bad throughout the other frequencies like you were saying you'd read. Through EQ'ing I feel the JVC can sound quite good with most anything you throw at them. They are the most EQ receptive headphones I've ever used. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the WS1100iS though, let us know what you think after you get them.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #9,610 of 12,991
I've not heard the XB950AP, so I'm not sure exactly how much of an upgrade the Audio Technica WS770iS or JVC SZ1k would be. However, I own the WS770iS and the SZ2k, and I can tell you that the JVC require a good bit of power to really hit hard and liberal use of EQ. The WS770iS requires EQ as well, but less juice to have decent slam. Keep in mind though that the AT will never hit as hard as the JVC are capable of hitting. You might want to think about whether you intend to get an amp in the future, and that would help you to decide which headphone to pursue.

Thanks for swift response :)

Can you just tell me, power wise, are WS770IS loud enough without an amp - just through an audio jack on PC?

I am in love with the look of WS770IS (i only do not like the cable + hate mic on headphones + would like an extension included xd), but i do not think i will have an amp anytime soon.

Also, have you heard JVC SR85S?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #9,611 of 12,991
Thanks for swift response :)

Can you just tell me, power wise, are WS770IS loud enough without an amp - just through an audio jack on PC?

I am in love with the look of WS770IS (i only do not like the cable + hate mic on headphones + would like an extension included xd), but i do not think i will have an amp anytime soon.

Also, have you heard JVC SR85S?

The WS770iS are definitely listenable from the audio jack, but like most headphones, they sound much better amplified. Now, if it is price that is currently preventing the purchase of an amp, you might consider something like this refurbished Sound Blaster E1. I don't know if they ship to where you are, but you might find one closer to home. It's plenty of amp to run the WS770iS both from your PC and your phone (As long as you have a 3.5mm jack on your phone).

As for the JVC SR85S, unfortunately no, I haven't heard them so I'd be of no help on those.

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #9,612 of 12,991
The WS770iS are definitely listenable from the audio jack, but like most headphones, they sound much better amplified. Now, if it is price that is currently preventing the purchase of an amp, you might consider something like this refurbished Sound Blaster E1. I don't know if they ship to where you are, but you might find one closer to home. It's plenty of amp to run the WS770iS both from your PC and your phone (As long as you have a 3.5mm jack on your phone).

As for the JVC SR85S, unfortunately no, I haven't heard them so I'd be of no help on those.

You are scaring me when you say "listenable" xD
But okay, i guess i will wait a bit and check what can i get: WS770IS or SZ1K.

For amp, thanks for recommendation, but if i am to buy amp - i will buy something much better and new :p

I just can't find proper review on Sony XB950AP, from some true basshead.

Thank you for helping out.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #9,613 of 12,991
I own the WS1100iS's little brother, the WS770iS, and yes, the Solid Bass series from AT do have the ability to hit hard and still maintain a good clean sound stage, but they work best with an amp. I used to own the V-MODA M100's and I like the WS770iS better. And for me personally, even with the XL pads, the M100 was a torture device, lol. Now as far as the JVC SZ2k build quality, I've had zero issues and they don't feel cheap. The SZ2k does indeed have the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone, but it doesn't sound bad throughout the other frequencies like you were saying you'd read. Through EQ'ing I feel the JVC can sound quite good with most anything you throw at them. They are the most EQ receptive headphones I've ever used. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the WS1100iS though, let us know what you think after you get them.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me and I will try these ATH-ws1100is. I do have the Cayin N3 DAP which I sometimes use as a PC amp in DAC mode but I plan to get something much potent in the future like the O2. I have just started last year to get into the audiophile world and my ears are already becoming very picky with the sound I am providing to them, which is good but not cheap :). I am not a heavy bass head but I do listen to a lot of 90s discos or blues/jazz and I like a good deep and clean bass but not muddy or to overwhelm the rest of the range, definitely not like the hip-hop music for example which by the way I do not like at all.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #9,615 of 12,991

The trick was to make an extreme V-shape curve.. dropping overall gain to -16db, dropping mids to all the way to -12 and then pumping lows all the way up +10, and trebles +8.
With the E12's knob at max volume and its 'gain' toggle turned on, I had finally achieved what I suppose is the "take two subwoofers and stuff it on your head" effect described by one of the online reviews. Much air is being moved in the low frequencies, I like. Never thought 32ohm cans needed this much juicing.

Went out and bought one used for $80, I tested it for about 30 secs while it was still on stock earpads - I have to say it's not at all impressive compared to above tuned Pro700mk2, which is giving the SZ2000's a real run for its money. Level of disappointment in my heart seem to mirror that of when I first used the Pro700mk2's un-amped, un-EQ-ed.

Opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

some folks just sell the pads on ebay

3 different vids from 3 different users.
1 is me and the driver is not audibly distorting and the spl and vibration will give you about 2 minutes of joy at that level before you have to protect yourself from long term hearing damage and take em off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back