The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 3, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #9,571 of 12,992
Does pioneer master 1 compare well to Z1R?

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #9,572 of 12,992
Does pioneer master 1 compare well to Z1R?

Probably not the thread to discuss this on - the Pio is an open back and neither really are extreme basshead material - that said, however, I own the Pioneer and owned the Sony for over a month and sold the Sony as it was nowhere near as good overall TO MY EARS as the Pioneer, not to mention the Pioneer handles bass as good as any headphone I've owned or auditioned. Sold my HE-6 because of how good the Pioneer bass is - and I felt the HE-6, fed from speaker taps of a powerhouse vintage amp - was the best, most visceral bass I'd heard.

Both the Pioneer and HE-6 have more audiophile bass - not head thumping like the JVC that is #1 on HBB's top 10 list. Personally the Sony was hugely disappointing - I felt the bass was better on my Denon LA-7000. Cleaner, tighter and as deep as the Sony.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #9,574 of 12,992
Great, I just discover this thread ! :)

Well can you tell me some references of orthodynamiques headphones with really extendend bass, kick ass drum impact and soft/rolled of trebble ?
I have HE-500 (I will get soon some Alpha pads) and zmf blackwood (sometimes a little to much in trebble area).

Well, curiosity got me and I decided to order up a set of the Monolith M1060's now that the fixed version is out. When I get them, if they hit hard enough, I'll attempt a paper test vid.

Great, can't wait your report :wink: What headphoens have you get to compare ?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #9,575 of 12,992
Great, can't wait your report :wink: What headphoens have you get to compare ?

You can check my current list out on My Profile Page, but as far as comparing them in the bass department, I have the JVC HA-SZ2000 paired with my iDSD. I don't expect the M1060 to really compete, I'm just looking for them to be a great open back sound that reaches into the sub bass frequencies with some authority.

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #9,576 of 12,992
You can check my current list out on My Profile Page, but as far as comparing them in the bass department, I have the JVC HA-SZ2000 paired with my iDSD. I don't expect the M1060 to really compete, I'm just looking for them to be a great open back sound that reaches into the sub bass frequencies with some authority.

My man!

Curious as to what your thoughts are on the ultrasone hfi-580's ... Do those hit as hard as people say they do? I heard there is a weird artificial tonality to the ultrasones that don't sound natural at all..

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9,577 of 12,992
My man!

Curious as to what your thoughts are on the ultrasone hfi-580's ... Do those hit as hard as people say they do? I heard there is a weird artificial tonality to the ultrasones that don't sound natural at all..

They hit nicely with EQ. Not make it on the list type of bass, but a damn nice sound. As for artificial sounding, I guess I could see that at first because out of the box the treble is a bit wild, but after some burn in, my treble settled in to something clean. It's a bright kind of treble without being sibilant. The 580's use a technology called S Logic which angle the sound at your ear and makes for a pretty decent sound stage for a closed back headphone. However, even with all the praise I just wrote about them, for even less money as they are on sale right now, I'd buy the Audio Technica ATH-WS770iS over the HFI-580. They hit harder than the Ultrasones, and somehow manage to have a better sound stage, better midrange, and more controlled highs. The only flaw I think the Audio Technicas have is the flat cable that goes to both ear cups. Down below is a video I did of a bass paper test with my iDSD and the ATH-WS770iS using Brainwave HM5 pads. (I've since switched back to the stock pads as they let just a tad more bass through.)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #9,578 of 12,992
The 1060 comes alive around 2W rms. The paper towel mod is basically an Aperiodic membrane. So the louder you play it, the deeper the bass goes.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #9,579 of 12,992
The 1060 comes alive around 2W rms. The paper towel mod is basically an Aperiodic membrane. So the louder you play it, the deeper the bass goes.

I can't wait to give it a listen, they get here Friday according to UPS. Got a link to any paper towel mod how tos?

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #9,582 of 12,992
Jun 7, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #9,583 of 12,992
I went and looked and it's much simpler than the word mod implies, lol. It is just cutting a paper towel circle and putting them under the outer grills. Easy enough.
But what about the brand? Each has their own thickness. How about one with prints? Gotta make it look sexy.

I don't know. So much can go wrong...

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #9,584 of 12,992
But what about the brand? Each has their own thickness. How about one with prints? Gotta make it look sexy.

I don't know. So much can go wrong...

Oooh, they can be seasonal! Gotta get one for all the major holidays and my birthday of course, lol. Bounty might be too thick, generic too thin... So many options! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back