The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 4, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #9,451 of 12,992
Anyone can comment on idsd Micro BL bass boost? Is it any good?

I have one I will review with the Meze neo and it is perfect. The original iDSD was almost not there (only sub-bass it seemed) but the BL is near the later sub-bass and makes a fuller sound and improves bass. It makes everything sound better. Most everything else between the original and BL seem identical but the bass switch has improved IMO

May 4, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #9,452 of 12,992
I have one I will review with the Meze neo and it is perfect. The original iDSD was almost not there (only sub-bass it seemed) but the BL is near the later sub-bass and makes a fuller sound and improves bass. It makes everything sound better. Most everything else between the original and BL seem identical but the bass switch has improved IMO

Thanks... I want to improve the bass response of my TH-610 (it has superb extension but lacks a bit of impact) so I guess this amp might fit the bill. How would you compare the bass boost of iDSD BL to other amps? Is it the best among those you've tried or are there other amps with better bass boost?

May 4, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #9,453 of 12,992
Thanks... I want to improve the bass response of my TH-610 (it has superb extension but lacks a bit of impact) so I guess this amp might fit the bill. How would you compare the bass boost of iDSD BL to other amps? Is it the best among those you've tried or are there other amps with better bass boost?

As an amp/dac combo I consider it the best as it has a lot of power on tap.

Other amp only options include the Cayin C5 which has a great bass boost but it's power is not on the level of an iDSD BL

I don't generally rely on bass boost as much as I do gain/power and EQ. Other folks might have some opinions for you.

May 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #9,454 of 12,992
I don't generally rely on bass boost as much as I do gain/power and EQ. Other folks might have some opinions for you.

^This. That is exactly my thought on it. Power/EQ > Bass Boost. Lucky for iDSD owners, we aren't forced to choose between the two, lol.

May 4, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #9,456 of 12,992
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to get iDSD BL. Mojo has high resolution but it lacks a bit low end.

You'll be glad you did. I also got rid of my mojo long ago with lack of bass power being one of the reasons why.

But whereas on the old iDSD I had the bass boost always on and never touched it, I don't always have it on with my black edition.

The thing to remember about the black edition's bass boost is recording dependent not headphone dependent.

Depending on how heavy the bass in the recording is, and it might not even be heavy, just mixed too loud, EQ and the black edition's power are gonna be enough.

On at least 90% of well mixed, well recorded, not vinyl or cassette ripped music, I leave the bass switch on.

I spent half the time in normal mode and half in turbo mode I would say. I've also noticed it sounds slightly better if it's running off battery power as opposed to USB line power. And, you need to let the battery drain itself once in a while especially if you're like me and using the iDSD almost always sitting at a desk.

The DD's...
Honestly I am not upset to set the DD doesn't make the list, but while I don't need another bass cannon (I have both SZ's still), it will be nice to have one that is studio tuned, honestly I was extra hyped when I heard that, since I don't currently have any headphones for use in the studio... and headphone time there is never anywhere close to the final mixdown. I think I will have fun with them still.

I don't have tracking yet but it's only been about a day since I ordered. I will probably get tracking in an email a minute after posting this.

Ok see you guys in a while. I'm being bombarded with diabetes medication ads despite not having or ever googling such a thing :expressionless:

edit.... I guess all my old EQ screenshots got lost in the site switch. Here is my current SZ2k EQ. I use it with other headphones too though but might turn down the 1k-2k boost a little.

rea eq new.PNG

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #9,457 of 12,992
The DD's...
Honestly I am not upset to set the DD doesn't make the list, but while I don't need another bass cannon (I have both SZ's still), it will be nice to have one that is studio tuned, honestly I was extra hyped when I heard that, since I don't currently have any headphones for use in the studio... and headphone time there is never anywhere close to the final mixdown. I think I will have fun with them still.

I don't have tracking yet but it's only been about a day since I ordered. I will probably get tracking in an email a minute after posting this.

Ok see you guys in a while. I'm being bombarded with diabetes medication ads despite not having or ever googling such a thing :expressionless:

edit.... I guess all my old EQ screenshots got lost in the site switch. Here is my current SZ2k EQ. I use it with other headphones too though but might turn down the 1k-2k boost a little.

The DD are like my AKAI which are full studio but the AKAI drivers will not bass up but DD will. It is a fantastic set to have and is very portable. And it's DD.

May 5, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #9,459 of 12,992
Hey guys, party pooper back.

It's been about a month or so since I've tinkered with my situation, so today I decided to do a little bit of testing with the Cayin C5.

1) Bass Boost ON and Low Pass -> I can max it out with no audible distortion and the SZ2k seem like they can handle much more.
2) Bass Boost ON and High Pass -> I can dial it to 4 exactly and anything higher results in distortion.
3) Bass Boost OFF and High Pass -> I can dial it to 5 exactly and anything higher results in distortion.

Track used for my brief testing: Bassnectar - Reaching Out

Source: PC
EQ (thanks to vapman):
I7wwxe3m.png

Can anyone verify my findings?

May 5, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #9,460 of 12,992
All eyes on me is one of my favourite albums. Incredible production

May 5, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #9,461 of 12,992

I love them, think they are worth the price...but they will not make the Top 10

Bass needs amp and EQ and can shake the chassis but it's not a cannon.

I like mine a lot though :)

My man!

For less than a bill, this is intriguing ... How does it compare to the CAL! or V-Moda M100? I have an opportunity to pick up a used M100 for around 90 dollars so it would be either that or the DD's.

May 5, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #9,463 of 12,992
Well after a couple hours of burn in (not much at all) these DD cans are Fantastic! really balanced studio sound signature but bass is really driving. On psytrance they kick *** and blues they have a stupendous grounding lower end but vibrant mids and highs. burn baby burn, and if they keep improving at this rate, by tomorrow i will be
bowing to DD and recommending them.....

May 5, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #9,464 of 12,992
Well after a couple hours of burn in (not much at all) these DD cans are Fantastic! really balanced studio sound signature but bass is really driving. On psytrance they kick *** and blues they have a stupendous grounding lower end but vibrant mids and highs. burn baby burn, and if they keep improving at this rate, by tomorrow i will be
bowing to DD and recommending them.....

I actually used mine a lot yesterday after the beach...like them a lot.

P_20170505_134900.jpg

May 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #9,465 of 12,992
I actually used mine a lot yesterday after the beach...like them a lot.

Son of a Beach! That worthy HBB??
After burning them all last night they are racing ahead of my other Woodie phones for best sound and outperforming Denons Thinksounds and others which are good
Very musical with integrated soundstage
And good bass very balanced not bass monster but quality musical bass for many genres. Out of Calyx M they are a real treat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back