The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #8,911 of 12,971
EMU sells cups individually of different woods for $100 + 20S/H.. I think you need to e-mail them to request though. And they take time as they make them to order.  Ive read from those who have ordered cups that the wood does in fact change the sound (which lines up with them stating the x00 all use the same speakers, and the wood is the difference).

(Edit: people sell these with their x00's and buy them for their x00's from what I read, I have not purchased my x00 yet so I wouldn't be able to 100% verify but apparently they fit)

That's really good price compared lawton. I'll have to call them unless I can fin out for sure on head fi. Ebony is suposed to extend further into subbass (than mahogany) so I'd be all about that.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #8,912 of 12,971
  Thanks for the info, I'm really after the strong magnet in the th900 though.  Should yield a noticeable increase in bass impact and fidelity that I'm after.  The red cups are just a bonus.  I just hope the price goes down and not up.  I recently saw a $200 jump on amazon for the MK2 which I'm not too happy about.

I have my eye on the TH900mk2 as well, but I already spent so much lately that I'm gonna wait awhile...

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #8,914 of 12,971
A basshead's worst nightmare: left driver rattling in the sub-bass.

My second MT220 is apparently defective. The first one had no such problem. I opened it up but can't get to the actual driver. (But did confirm via a frequency sweep that the driver area is the problem.)

I fear I'll have to return it to get a replacement...which could take awhile, since I bought it from the UK and live in the US.
frown.gif

Update:

Amazon is very helpful. They're letting me keep the defective pair until I receive a replacement pair.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #8,915 of 12,971

THX00 Mahogany just showed up in the mail today, woohoo!  First impressions are sweet, sweet bass but I find myself missing the attack, accuracy, and speed of the HE400i that I've been listening to for the past several weeks.  It's a very fun sound though and dat bass rumble is oh sooo sweet.

Time to let the brain burn-in begin.  I went ahead and switched the pads to HM5 Hybrid/flat pads, very comfortable and fit without issue (and the THX00 rings are much more solid than the flimsy ones HiFiMan has).

Mimby should be arriving tomorrow, so that should be a nice little upgrade as well.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #8,916 of 12,971

THX00 Mahogany just showed up in the mail today, woohoo!  First impressions are sweet, sweet bass but I find myself missing the attack, accuracy, and speed of the HE400i that I've been listening to for the past several weeks.  It's a very fun sound though and dat bass rumble is oh sooo sweet.

Time to let the brain burn-in begin.  I went ahead and switched the pads to HM5 Hybrid/flat pads, very comfortable and fit without issue (and the THX00 rings are much more solid than the flimsy ones HiFiMan has).

Mimby should be arriving tomorrow, so that should be a nice little upgrade as well.

Awesome! That's 2/3 of my main rig haha (x00+mimby). Please do post impressions. How are the hm5 vs stock pads on the x00?

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #8,917 of 12,971
Awesome! That's 2/3 of my main rig haha (x00+mimby). Please do post impressions. How are the hm5 vs stock pads on the x00?

I never used the stock pads, I bought this set used and they came with th900 pads.

In general though, the HM5 Hybrid pads are an awesome compromise, the perforated pleather interior retains a lot of the bass impact associated with leather pads, the velour is extremely comfy on your head, and the exterior of the pad seems like nice pleather.

I've been swapping them on the HE400i with a set of HM5 Angled velour pads, and find the bass response to be better with the Hybrids. I'd imagine the sound signature is relatively close to stock, with perhaps a bit more comfort.  I've read the stock x00 pads also bring out the mids additionally to some degree, that may be lost in the swap but I have no way to know.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #8,918 of 12,971
Just thought I'd try to help fellow bassheads looking for 55X pads. This seller is selling the headphones for $19.99. Open box but I've messaged the seller and apparently they are new with an open box only for whatever reason. They can be found HERE.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #8,919 of 12,971
I put together a little playlist so you can press play and crank the bass! Save the post link for later if ya want.

These are not ultimate basshead tracks; just some random songs I like. For ideal results, use different EQ settings depending on the music. As we all know, some YouTube links suck. If you want to hear what the tracks really sound like, you'll need to use the original lossless files with audiophile headphones. It should go without saying that some of the rap tracks are NSFW.

Black Materia: The Remixes by Mega RanBlack Materia: Final Fantasy VII by Random and Lost PerceptionBlack Materia: Final Fantasy VII by Random and Lost PerceptionBlack Materia: Final Fantasy VII by Random and Lost PerceptionBlack Materia: The Remixes by Mega RanBlack Materia: Final Fantasy VII by Random and Lost PerceptionCastlevania: The Nocturnal Cantata by Mega Ran and SammusBlur Bomber by Mega Ran and Mister WilsonRiver City Random by Mega RanBlack Materia: The Remixes by Mega RanThe Ghouls 'n Ghosts EP by Mega Ran and Richie Branson  

If anyone here is into trance music, I highly recommend the Trancewerks Anthems Non-Stop Mix compilation CD. It was the first trance album I ever heard back in 2001 and remains my favorite to this day. I would share a YouTube stream, but it's rare and is nowhere to be found. You can get it used on Amazon for next to nothing. I love it so much that I paid fifty bucks for a brand new copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Trancewerks-One-Anthems-Various-Artists/dp/B00005NVKO/

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,920 of 12,971
For those who like EDM/Electronica I highly recommend album XXYYXX by XXYYXX.
My Denon AH D7200 makes such a deep and controlled r
sound.
I am really starting to like these HPs very much.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #8,921 of 12,971
  Selling my idsd bl and original version, might keep one if the other sells.  I've completely gone to iems except for my SZ so there is no need for these anymore.

Like many things I give my basshead brothers good deals.  Hit me up.

I feel ya

I got SZ and MA900 for over ear and the rest is gone. IEM take care of the rest. I try all the new stuff but until SZ gets taken down I just wait..

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #8,922 of 12,971
  Just thought I'd try to help fellow bassheads looking for 55X pads. This seller is selling the headphones for $19.99. Open box but I've messaged the seller and apparently they are new with an open box only for whatever reason. They can be found HERE.

Didn't notice your post until now. That looks like the same seller I got mine from in 2015. (And then sold to @vapman. I thought it was cool how the same 55X pads that were on my head ended up being in his SZ2000 review.) He must have a ton of 'em!

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #8,923 of 12,971
sound.

I love this album and have been using it to compare the HE400i to the THX00.

Absolutely phenomenal in lossless.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #8,924 of 12,971

I never used the stock pads, I bought this set used and they came with th900 pads.

In general though, the HM5 Hybrid pads are an awesome compromise, the perforated pleather interior retains a lot of the bass impact associated with leather pads, the velour is extremely comfy on your head, and the exterior of the pad seems like nice pleather.

I've been swapping them on the HE400i with a set of HM5 Angled velour pads, and find the bass response to be better with the Hybrids. I'd imagine the sound signature is relatively close to stock, with perhaps a bit more comfort.  I've read the stock x00 pads also bring out the mids additionally to some degree, that may be lost in the swap but I have no way to know.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. The hybrid HM5 have always been intriguing to me.  I'm sure going from an angled pad to a flat one would change the signature quite a bit.  Seems like a fair trade-off between bass and mids for personal preference.  I've never heard magnetic planars before...but mentioned that the HE400 do "slam" (if I remember correctly).  In your opinion, are open magnetic planars capable of hitting hard enough to satisfy basshead?

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,925 of 12,971
sound.

Oh yes, the new Denon's, I had my eye on those for a while.  I think a lot more impressions should be starting to pop up, I'll have to check back in on them.  Can they push paper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back