The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #7,831 of 12,992

I also use equalify.  You shouldn't be getting distortion with the preamp turned all the way down.  I can add +13db from 80hz down and no distortion at all.  I suspect the bass boost on the amp is the cause.

try this, it a really easy eq boost.

Low shelf
80hz +13db
Q @ .9
preamp gain -12db
bass boost off on amp

And yes, CHANGE THOSE NASTY ASS STOCK PADS 
biggrin.gif

What is Q @ .9? I'm not exactly sure what that means?

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #7,832 of 12,992
Good to see someone talk up the Pro 500s here. They are my everyday phones as the are by far the best sounding headphones under $400 I have heard. Whether its Death Metal, Punk, Reggae or Hip hop they bring the heat.

Bass wise, I think your spot on. The Pro 500's hit hard/maybe a bit harder then the 2ks in the mid bass. Cranial bruising is a concern. The bass is too tight and fast to rumble near the way the 2ks do though. On my level sounds completely different on both pairs of headphones. You can hear and feel the slow long decay of the low hits on the 2k's. On the 500's the hits are gone almost immediately. Overall bass quality is better on the 2ks, but the 500's have magic mids. I actually rec the 500's to metal heads that don't care about the flashy beats style. Almost all do though lol.

Anyway welcome to the club. I think the only thing left for us is the Fostex 900's. I haven't heard them but the look like top of the food chain basshead phones. I probably never will be able to convince the wife on dropping that kinda loot on a pair though.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #7,833 of 12,992
  Good to see someone talk up the Pro 500s here. They are my everyday phones as the are by far the best sounding headphones under $400 I have heard. Whether its Death Metal, Punk, Reggae or Hip hop they bring the heat.

Bass wise, I think your spot on. The Pro 500's hit hard/maybe a bit harder then the 2ks in the mid bass. Cranial bruising is a concern. The bass is too tight and fast to rumble near the way the 2ks do though. On my level sounds completely different on both pairs of headphones. You can hear and feel the slow long decay of the low hits on the 2k's. On the 500's the hits are gone almost immediately. Overall bass quality is better on the 2ks, but the 500's have magic mids. I actually rec the 500's to metal heads that don't care about the flashy beats style. Almost all do though lol.

Anyway welcome to the club. I think the only thing left for us is the Fostex 900's. I haven't heard them but the look like top of the food chain basshead phones. I probably never will be able to convince the wife on dropping that kinda loot on a pair though.

Thanks for chiming in. I was worried I maybe got a bum pair of 2K's, as I was expecting them to be MUCH more bass heavy than the Yammy's. Surprisingly, the Yammy's hold their own in the bass department compared to the 2K's.

I think your description is spot on. After going back and forth between the two pairs, the 2K's rumble the sub bass much more, filling my ear drums better with the 40hz and below notes. But the Yammy's may possibly hit the 60hz and up up notes a bit harder, having more "kick" than the 2K's. Also noticed the bass is tighter on the Yammy's with much faster response. But on tracks that have a nice low frequency roll, the 2K's really thrown down the thunder. 

I was planning on selling my Yammy's once I got the 2K's, as long as I liked them. But right now I'm having second thoughts, as I really do like both pairs almost equally well. One big thing though is that the 2K's are much more comfortable with the 55x pads than the Yammy's are. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #7,834 of 12,992
Yea the 500's are not that great comfort wise. Wouldn't say uncomfortable, but definitely not comfortable. Also not for small heads. The 2ks are heavy and bulky but fit me really well. The pads put equal pressure around my ears and I don't really get any hot spots with em.

I have been experimenting with pads on the yams but 75mm circular pads are all about the same. Really wish Yamaha would redesign these and keep the mylar drivers in their aluminum housings.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,835 of 12,992

Q is the bandwidth of the EQ boost or cut.

I don't usually think about it in this format, but I believe a Q of 1 is a total bandwidth equal to 1/10 of the targeted frequency. So a 1db boost with a Q of 1 at 100 hz will boost the frequencies between 95hz and 105 hz with the 1db apex centered at 100hz.

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #7,836 of 12,992

yes, what he ^ said.

when you boost a frequency the surrounding frequencies will get affected too.  The "Q" is the width you want that boost/cut to affect from the peak.

back to equilify.

if you right click on one of your eq points, you'll be able to see that you can really fine tune it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #7,837 of 12,992
Awesome! Thanks for the tip with equalify, I did not know about that! The more I use it, the more I like it. Seems like a pretty decent EQ.

Been putting in heavy use with the S2k's since I got them. Really enjoying them for different electronic music (edm, dusted, etc) and hip hop. Obviously I've put quite a few bass mekanic tracks through them as well lol.

I've noticed with extended listening sessions that I start to get "used" to the extreme bass. I mean I know it's still there slamming my brain to bits, but I start to get almost a tolerance for it. I really notice it if and when I switch cans or put in my IEMs (fx850). It immediately feels like my other headphones have almost ZERO bass. These S2k's are ruining the perceived bass quantity on the rest of my headphones! (except for my Pro 500's).

Now I'm in the market for an IEM that's basshead worthy. I know there is another thread for that, been spending most of my time over there. Currently debating the Sony xb90's or the MDR7550's. Still undecided.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #7,839 of 12,992
Now I'm in the market for an IEM that's basshead worthy. I know there is another thread for that, been spending most of my time over there. Currently debating the Sony xb90's or the MDR7550's. Still undecided.

There's an asterisk to the MDR-7550. As Hawaiibadboy notes in his YouTube review, the monitors are vented and the tips can be a cumbersome fit, at least in my experience. If anyone knows how to resolve the fitting issue, it would be much obliged.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761433/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #7,840 of 12,992
Oct 24, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #7,841 of 12,992
So I got a pair of JVC HA-SZ2000s today and HOLY BEJEEZUS. These make the XB500 sound like a joke. It's like having a subwoofer inside my skull. I can actually make my teeth rattle with these. The excellent build quality and looks don't hurt, either.

For those complaining about the comfort, just stick some stuff in the pad lip. I did this with my old PRO700MK2 and that headphone was way less comfortable than this - that headphone literally had a golf ball shaped driver cover and this simple mod made them comfortable. A little pad depth goes a long way.

Here's my current EQ - I've been playing with it for a few hours and I really like it set this way at the moment. Acoustic music sounds like it's being played through a blanket, but I think the genres anyone bought this headphone for really shine with this EQ. Just make sure you have a ton of amp headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back