The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,316 of 12,992
  Hi is there a good way to eq in windows to get that Cowon + e12 bass sound.  I have a desktop headphone amp and some JVC HA-MR77x headphones.  Is there some settings you guys can recommend or a good equalizer that can give me dat cowon bass.  I find if I turn up the 77's up to loud the plastic starts rattling when I press them up against my ears just a bit the rattling stops Think it's caused by the crappy seal I get with the earpads.  Probably going to buy some HM5 pads.  Any help will be appreciated.

I think you can search through this thread or someone will pop in and help. Is the bass rattling the cans or is it just loud music? If it's bass then a pad change can help a bit and you can re-sell those pads to a chronic basshead who will use them for sz in bassmode (seriously)

If you can screen shot your current eq settings and hardware setup it might be easier to help you

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3,317 of 12,992
although discontinued, the m-audio Q40's were great bass headphones. Slightly uncomfortable but beyerdynamic velour pads fixed that. I wound up switching to dt770's but I must say I do miss the bass. I think I'm gonna sell mine on here and pass them along to someone else.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,318 of 12,992

cb's vid but I tested them twice when they were the rage last April?..May? They were not happy with that eq and amp so never made the top 10 but he insisted they join a sub category along with Q40 and Beats Mixr and the like that sound real good bass wise off a iphone and maybe amp but not with the big bass boost. I'll try and find that list

Here it is:
 ​

Yeah I agree. They definitely deserve to be on the list. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #3,319 of 12,992
  Oh, I was curious about those Sennheiser HD8 DJ also. Right now I'm looking for more bass and better soundstage (but still good mids and highs for metal music etc), so I consider JVC SZ2000, Yamaha Pro 500 and those Sennheiser HD8. Any ideas what should I choose?

I dunno man. Yes they are basshead cans, but they get so uncomfy after 30+ min that I just can't recommend them to anyone for normal listening. If you're a DJ get them.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #3,320 of 12,992
  Oh, I was curious about those Sennheiser HD8 DJ also. Right now I'm looking for more bass and better soundstage (but still good mids and highs for metal music etc), so I consider JVC SZ2000, Yamaha Pro 500 and those Sennheiser HD8. Any ideas what should I choose?

I love my Q40's, with the velour pads I put on them they're now super comfortable. I use dt-770's now but when I compare a bass sweep from both headphones the difference is huge. The q40 is brain-rattling, it's amazing. Plus the reasonable price, good clarity (especially with a little EQ) and the detachable cable (which makes them last forever as long as you don't somehow blow a driver) are great. No amp needed which is also a plus, I used to like attaching a really short aux cord to the Q40's and then clipping an ipod shuffle to the headband for "wireless" headphones. Also the clamping force is pretty good so if you're listening to metal they won't fall off your head when you're thrashing around LOL. It's weird that these are such underrated cans because they are bass monsters, haven't heard anything close since. If you decide to go with the Q40's I'm selling mine on the classified section for pretty cheap, and it'll save you the trouble of buying the velour pads. Good luck on your search, man!

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,321 of 12,992
Quote:

Multiple mentions of great cans you are selling
blink.gif
No offense but reading 3 posts in a day about the Q40 which are not extreme bass cans seems like fishing for a buyer to me. Even folks selling cans on the Top 10 mention it once if at all.

I don't like the Q40 as it's QC is horrible ( I owned them for minutes before they exploded or some event happened in the left earcup) It's sound however is great but it is by no means a monster as further testing on another set revealed that it....like other 40mm cans distort on high gain around the 33-40Hz area if lifted too much.

Good luck with your sale.
Better yet, if they are so awesome find a way to fix the comfort and keep em'
wink.gif

@vennisoun
I'd get the Pro 500 from what you listed

Quote:
  I love my Q40's, with the velour pads I put on them they're now super comfortable. I use dt-770's now but when I compare a bass sweep from both headphones the difference is huge. The q40 is brain-rattling, it's amazing. Plus the reasonable price, good clarity (especially with a little EQ) and the detachable cable (which makes them last forever as long as you don't somehow blow a driver) are great. No amp needed which is also a plus, I used to like attaching a really short aux cord to the Q40's and then clipping an ipod shuffle to the headband for "wireless" headphones. Also the clamping force is pretty good so if you're listening to metal they won't fall off your head when you're thrashing around LOL. It's weird that these are such underrated cans because they are bass monsters, haven't heard anything close since. If you decide to go with the Q40's I'm selling mine on the classified section for pretty cheap, and it'll save you the trouble of buying the velour pads. Good luck on your search, man!

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #3,322 of 12,992
Just pulled the trigger on a TH600 from HeadRoom this morning during their 20% off sale. Hoping that I get better bass and better comfort from these over the HE-400. Can't wait for them to come in. Also in the search for a new DAC/amp now that I've sold my M&M stack.

tumblr_laxkhzH3071qbxq6qo1_500.gif

NICE!  Good choice on a pair of Cans.  Great bass and audiohpile-ish.  You do need the power of at least the e12.  I had my set paired with a e18, before I got my e12, and it wasn't enough.  It had good bass but compared to my sz2k, which i owned at the same time, it merely tickled my brain.  Thats why I sold my pair.  Which now i think about it.  I think I sold them prematurely.  If I find a set for a good price I just might have to try them again.  The only complaint that I had about them, is that the clamping force wasn't enough.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,325 of 12,992
Thank you all for recommendations and answers. Finally I received JVC SZ2000 and I'm using it with Fiio X3. For sure bass is thumping great and stage is great, but I liked clarity, details and sound signature of Audio Technica Pro700mk2 more. But still I want that big thump bass and impact of SZ2000, so should I go for Yamaha Pro 500 or V-moda M100 (or something else maybe?)?

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,326 of 12,992
One headphone that I think is overlooked in this thread is the Skullcandy crusher.  I just picked up a pair, and they have a lot going for them, especially for portable use.  This review of them is pretty much spot on.  They're light, compact, and comfortable, have a detachable cord, don't need an amp, very easy to find (Target, Best Buy, etc.) and have very reasonable build quality for a $100 headphone.  For the sake of my hearing, I'm going to start using these more often.  I have a Fiio E12 and ATH-WS99, but the problem is it's too hard to resist the temptation to crank the volume knob, and I'm getting ringing in my ears the next day. 

The crushers have 40mm drivers and 55mm vibration transducers, so they are only creating the illusion of deep bass, but the beauty of these is that they provide bass impact satisfaction at much lower volume levels.  If true basshead headphones are heroin, the crushers are methadone - they can give you your fix with less risk of killing your hearing.       

I haven't tried them out with the E12 yet, I'll see how that goes...

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #3,327 of 12,992
  Thank you all for recommendations and answers. Finally I received JVC SZ2000 and I'm using it with Fiio X3. For sure bass is thumping great and stage is great, but I liked clarity, details and sound signature of Audio Technica Pro700mk2 more. But still I want that big thump bass and impact of SZ2000, so should I go for Yamaha Pro 500 or V-moda M100 (or something else maybe?)?

I don't know will it help you, but i have a chance to listen yamaha pro 300 and clarity of this cans was very good, along with good bass, i have xb950 and for me sound stage of yamaha was a little bit wider so i think pro 500 is good choice, these cans are not muddy at all, they are very fun. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,328 of 12,992

The guy who gave you a thumbs up is a troll and if he doesn't get his **** together I will have him banned from this thread permanently.
2nd
How did you get the jvc2000 in 2 days?
Please be specific.

The soundstage is quite compact so I'm confused by your observation and interested in your purchase method (it might help others)
You must have an amp and eq and pad change.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,329 of 12,992
  One headphone that I think is overlooked in this thread is the Skullcandy crusher.  I just picked up a pair, and they have a lot going for them, especially for portable use.  This review of them is pretty much spot on.  They're light, compact, and comfortable, have a detachable cord, don't need an amp, very easy to find (Target, Best Buy, etc.) and have very reasonable build quality for a $100 headphone.  For the sake of my hearing, I'm going to start using these more often.  I have a Fiio E12 and ATH-WS99, but the problem is it's too hard to resist the temptation to crank the volume knob, and I'm getting ringing in my ears the next day. 

The crushers have 40mm drivers and 55mm vibration transducers, so they are only creating the illusion of deep bass, but the beauty of these is that they provide bass impact satisfaction at much lower volume levels.  If true basshead headphones are heroin, the crushers are methadone - they can give you your fix with less risk of killing your hearing.       

I haven't tried them out with the E12 yet, I'll see how that goes...

RED - - That's what we aim for here and the skull don't do it so.....
Black-- It went not well. Distortion crept in very quick.

They are not on this thread as they

Users who are viewing this thread

Back