The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 12, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #3,258 of 12,992

Hi, Just got it. Whats next? LOL

Now you go install it in your device and tweak out on it till you find your perfect settings 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this is the fun part of the hobby.  Messing with the eq sliders till your heart is content is the game.  You have a base setting that most people on this thread use.  So use that and go from there.   

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #3,259 of 12,992
I miss my SZ's.....  What I miss mostly is being able to hear and differentiate each and every bass note while getting my skulled slammed.  Its a beautiful thing.

WHY DID I HAVE TO LET YOU GO?!

mr-t-crying.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3,260 of 12,992

Hi, Just got it. Whats next? LOL

1. Source
Apple Ipad
App - "Equalizer",
eq,
42Hz Q 1.000 +7.9dB
51Hz Q 1.000 +7.7dB
78Hz Q 5.000 +2.8dB

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

Get Wiz "On My level"
listen at those settings

Settings (same as above) at end of vid

and this is playing with it...very fun for a basshead

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #3,261 of 12,992
  I miss my SZ's.....  What I miss mostly is being able to hear and differentiate each and every bass note while getting my skulled slammed.  Its a beautiful thing.

WHY DID I HAVE TO LET YOU GO?!

mr-t-crying.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #3,263 of 12,992
This visual EQ was very helpful to me! It should be on the front page!

Before this I only boosted bass. I learnt lowering the mids and highs is extremely important if you want PHAT BASS!
Basically an amp has limited power and you need to choose how to distribute the sound (via EQ) or you'll find sound is muddy and clips at the amp's limit.

Quote:
  Video uploading. Much more impressive. I don't notice a huge diff but this test was done without a dac as my wallwart for the modi was making weird noises and I'm waiting for a new one and just using the magni 2 uber right now. At max volume I would say it really does hurt the ears, even on low gain.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #3,264 of 12,992

I think lowering mids and highs is just better for showcase in bass paper tests. I don't think he meant to say you gotta actually listen to your headphones with an eq like that. Personally, I don't need to lower mids or highs, there's no change in sound in the highs and mids from my bass slope. The sound can't get muddy if the peak is low enough in the sub bass. If the peak is at 50hz + and by too many db's, that's when you get muddy sound. Honestly, lowering mids and highs makes it even muddier to my ears and you lose the vocals instantly when the bass kicks in. Cave sound. Lowering by a very small amount of db's wouldn't hurt though I guess but lower by something like 10+ and you get mud. 

My method:  
Start with any slope you want then press the on/off button in peace gui, if you don't notice vocals or the rest of the sound changing and all that you notice is bass bump then your custom slope is solid. If the sound is getting muddier,  in go lower in the sub bass frequencies or lower the db's.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,265 of 12,992
I understand what you're saying in regards to "cave sound". To clarify, using the EQ by TheDragonGuy gave me "cave sound" on my equipment (while it works for him, my setup couldn't handle it). I had to lower the bass and raise the mids and highs on my setup.
My point is that in order to get ALOT more bass, you have to take away from the other frequencies. When I used the preset "bass boost" configuration in PEACE I was presented with awful bass that was muddy and distorted, but after lowering the mids and highs I got impactful bass without distortion.

Quote:
  I think lowering mids and highs is just better for showcase in bass paper tests. I don't think he meant to say you gotta actually listen to your headphones with an eq like that. Personally, I don't need to lower mids or highs, there's no change in sound in the highs and mids from my bass slope. The sound can't get muddy if the peak is low enough in the sub bass. If the peak is at 50hz + and by too many db's, that's when you get muddy sound. Honestly, lowering mids and highs makes it even muddier to my ears and you lose the vocals instantly when the bass kicks in. Cave sound. Lowering by a very small amount of db's wouldn't hurt though I guess but lower by something like 10+ and you get mud. 

My method:  
Start with any slope you want then press the on/off button in peace gui, if you don't notice vocals or the rest of the sound changing and all that you notice is bass bump then your custom slope is solid. If the sound is getting muddier,  in go lower in the sub bass frequencies or lower the db's.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,266 of 12,992

Alright I see what you mean. It depends on how much you're lowering I guess. And that distortion with that bass boost preset is why I never ever use software included presets. I make my own slope. 

Anyway, as long you're getting the bass you want thats all that matters :D

*There's a problem with the quote thing in head-fi. Can't quote you for some reason.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,268 of 12,992
DreamKing I agree that custom presets are usually miss than hit.

lol... bass for bass' sake? 
blink.gif
It was still helpful for me as I had never thought to EQ down.

Quote:
Ha that eq was just for big bass...not for listening to.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3,269 of 12,992

Outside of rock music this is my listening slope and level.

The sound sig is un changed (X5) except the eq off went from "0" to-6 across the board. my bass is able to be slamming because of the raised slightly sliders ....raised a lot relative to other freq's.

Take comfort in knowing the OP is chronic lvl.
biggrin.gif

It sounds really good...to me...on the X5. It sounds like the Cowon with BBE+9 and Mach3Bass +8 volume +34  except clearer with a bit more snap

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #3,270 of 12,992
SMS DJ PRO (now cheap)
Monster Npulse over ear
ATH WS99

No amp, light,cheap, good bass and overall sound

Thanks, but these are kind out of budget (I have quite a bit of buying planed for the near future, so sadly can't blow everything on the headphones lol). I'am thinking about JVC S500s (possibly EQed), I know these are on-ears, but I can't seem to find a good sounding over-ear alternative in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back