The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 15, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,816 of 12,992
Would you call the SZ2K muffled in what comes to mid/highs? I know it's a bass can but I wish to be able to listen all kinds of music with it.

How would you compare the Vmoda M100 mid/high vs the SZ2K? For me the M100 is somewhat warm but if a basscan can come close to it, it's ok for me.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #1,817 of 12,992
2 Months ago I considered buying the SZ2000 but got the Philips X1 instead. Not bad, but deep inside I knew something was lacking.

I was reminded of how much a basshead I was. (I also own the M50, M100, XB920, JBL S700, none of which I consider "bassy")

I'm getting the SZ2K  very soon and a new amp too. My E07 Andes has one very annoying issue: it self discharges in matter of weeks. I'd rather have an amp with physical on/off witch. It's got to be the E12. The new Digizoid was also considered but I can't justify that much to use on a bass can.

Here comes the question.. Do I have to buy a brand new M55X just for the pads.. or they are sold separately elsewhere? According to you, is this is best pad available for the SZ2K?

Just remember that you have to EQ the bass on the SZ2K to get what you're looking for :wink:

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #1,818 of 12,992
  Would you call the SZ2K muffled in what comes to mid/highs? I know it's a bass can but I wish to be able to listen all kinds of music with it.

How would you compare the Vmoda M100 mid/high vs the SZ2K? For me the M100 is somewhat warm but if a basscan can come close to it, it's ok for me.

Maybe the best non basshead description ever. In the review section for the sz2000 (link on right side of this site page)

These headphones are really great at giving you a feel for the bass. I have other headphones in which the bass is very articulate, yet doesn't really kick very strongly. On the ATH-W5000 and the Alessandro Alumod/ MS1000 (modded MS1), the bass is very articulate, but really lacks any true punch. It is like admiring it from a distance. Both of these headphones articulate the highs beautifully, and in that department, the JVC has little to offer. The JVC's still have some sparkle in the highs, but overall, the mids and highs are quite veiled, and a bit grainy. My other dark sounding headphones (Mad Dogs 3.2, HD650) still have clearer highs and mids than the JVC's.

These are definitely dark-sounding headphones. Listening to these headphones really feels like listening to a concert in a club with a really good sound system. The bass is full, rich, and pumping (on properly recorded tracks). The club is dark and smokey, so you can't see the band on stage very clearly, but the sound is very immersive.. and really, who can concentrate on the fine details of the music when you're dancing and having a ball?

The bass... it's fantastic. It gives a new dimension to it, which is often missing in other headphones. On these, I mostly listen to rock, funk, and soul. These headphones are great at revealing good (and bad) music engineering - they can really reveal whether the bass is recorded properly or not. Before getting these, there were some songs/ albums that I was particularly looking forward to listening to - and some of them disappointed, as it was revealed that their bass isn't recorded well enough to produce true punch from these headphones. Some other albums however surprised with the power and quality of their recorded bass.

Running the sz off an ipod without an amp would be terrible and leaving the stock pads would be terrible pt2.
Detail retrieval is not like M100 but M100 do not have bass authority like sz so you gotta find a balance. If it's the only can you will own the m100 will have a broader range and finer clarity if you listen with amp and at elevated amp gain the sz would be your thing.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,819 of 12,992
I've been listening to these beastly SZ1000's for like 4-6 hours a day now, just pounding some stupidly powerful bass out of them. High sound pretty damn good too tbh. But seriously, dat bass. These things are just way too much fun. What ^^^ said though, It really is like a club with a sick sound system. These headphones REALLY respond to eqing too, in a good way, you could really make these things sound how ever you like.

Would you call the SZ2K muffled in what comes to mid/highs? I know it's a bass can but I wish to be able to listen all kinds of music with it.

I can't speak for the 2k, but the 1k doesn't sound muffled at all. I personally prefer the sound of an open style headphone for listening to most things like movies, games, or chill tunes; but they're completely different sounds entirely. But if you got these to listen to most music it wouldn't be a bad option, these headphones are really clear and clean from what I can tell, you might just be eqing a lot if youre a prefectionist. Genres like metal, hip hop, dubstep, etc really shine on these headphones though, imo.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #1,820 of 12,992

The secret with these is to EQ them, they need to be EQ'd no matter what. I only have the SZ1K so I don't know if it is much different but besides being a basshead I like to enjoy other genres of music too like liquid drum and bass (which is more calm) or some metal. I have a good sound system so I wasn't worried if these headphones would be as good for metal but after spending a couple of time with an EQ on them I realized that you can do almost anything with them. I managed to put these cans playing metal like I've never heard before and I enjoyed them almost more than on my sound system.

Of course at the price the SZ's are right now, if you're not a basshead and are gonna listen more to other things than actual "bass" music than I would get other cans since at that price range you can get better and clearer cans for music like rock and accoustic type of music. Now if you're a cronic basshead and know your way arround EQ's than get these since they won't dissapoint you in bass that's for sure (as long as you have the combo mentioned before, amp-->EQ-->new pads) and with luck you might even find EQ settings apropriate for your other type of music like I found for metal.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,821 of 12,992
Maybe the best non basshead description ever. In the review section for the sz2000 (link on right side of this site page)

Running the sz off an ipod without an amp would be terrible and leaving the stock pads would be terrible pt2.
Detail retrieval is not like M100 but M100 do not have bass authority like sz so you gotta find a balance. If it's the only can you will own the m100 will have a broader range and finer clarity if you listen with amp and at elevated amp gain the sz would be your thing.

Yup :) +1

I've been listening to these beastly SZ1000's for like 4-6 hours a day now, just pounding some stupidly powerful bass out of them. High sound pretty damn good too tbh. But seriously, dat bass. These things are just way too much fun. What ^^^ said though, It really is like a club with a sick sound system. These headphones REALLY respond to eqing too, in a good way, you could really make these things sound how ever you like.

I can't speak for the 2k, but the 1k doesn't sound muffled at all. I personally prefer the sound of an open style headphone for listening to most things like movies, games, or chill tunes; but they're completely different sounds entirely. But if you got these to listen to most music it wouldn't be a bad option, these headphones are really clear and clean from what I can tell, you might just be eqing a lot if youre a prefectionist. Genres like metal, hip hop, dubstep, etc really shine on these headphones though, imo.

The secret with these is to EQ them, they need to be EQ'd no matter what. I only have the SZ1K so I don't know if it is much different but besides being a basshead I like to enjoy other genres of music too like liquid drum and bass (which is more calm) or some metal. I have a good sound system so I wasn't worried if these headphones would be as good for metal but after spending a couple of time with an EQ on them I realized that you can do almost anything with them. I managed to put these cans playing metal like I've never heard before and I enjoyed them almost more than on my sound system.

Of course at the price the SZ's are right now, if you're not a basshead and are gonna listen more to other things than actual "bass" music than I would get other cans since at that price range you can get better and clearer cans for music like rock and accoustic type of music. Now if you're a cronic basshead and know your way arround EQ's than get these since they won't dissapoint you in bass that's for sure (as long as you have the combo mentioned before, amp-->EQ-->new pads) and with luck you might even find EQ settings apropriate for your other type of music like I found for metal.

MrGoat CannonCollector

At the risk of sounding patronising, it's awesome to read new users passing on advice to prospective SZ series can buyers, as there's no better advice than that coming from owners - and new owners first hand experience always bring that sense of excitement to their advice which is infectious for everyone (though HBB is still hyped and adrenalin fuelled to the max over the SZ series - lol :D :wink: )

Cool content, me & HBB always shed a tear (sob :xf_eek: )when we read new users listening to the SZ series correctly, amp - EQ - pads - most importantly, enjoying one of the biggest and bad ass BASS experiences on the planet :cool:

But you new owner guys bring your own user experience knowledge to the table which we all can learn from including me & HBB for sure :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #1,822 of 12,992
Yup
smily_headphones1.gif
+1

@MrGoat @CannonCollector

At the risk of sounding patronising, it's awesome to read new users passing on advice to prospective SZ series can buyers, as there's no better advice than that coming from owners - and new owners first hand experience always bring that sense of excitement to their advice which is infectious for everyone (though HBB is still hyped and adrenalin fuelled to the max over the SZ series - lol
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
)

Cool content, me & HBB always shed a tear (sob
redface.gif
)when we read new users listening to the SZ series correctly, amp - EQ - pads - most importantly, enjoying one of the biggest and bad ass BASS experiences on the planet
cool.gif

But you new owner guys bring your own user experience knowledge to the table which we all can learn from including me & HBB for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Heheh these cans are truly something else for bassheads using that combo and there's nothing better than helping someone do the right choice 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #1,823 of 12,992
Is he gonna find it?
 ​
You wonder every  time you rec a pair of sz....are they gonna find it..
I'm from car audio so (x-over's, gains, eq) are part of the audio experience. Even the humidity in the air would require a tweak of my settings.  The SZ take effort but for some it's fun and for others it is not. Can never see which kind of person you are talking to. 

Seeing folks find it is always nice. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,824 of 12,992
What would be a good all around headphone? I have M100s and I love them but I feel I want even more bass. These are great and I do love them. I have these paired with the Fiio E18, bass on, gain high and volume pushed pretty high before it taxes my ears. I listen to anything from rap to metal and anything in between. Anyone can grab a basshead headphone but I want a great mixture of highs/mids/lowszzz. I ask in this thread because I love bass and I'm sure I will get great feedback.

Also, is the Fiio E17 better than the E18? Should I consider grabbing one?

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #1,825 of 12,992

TOP 10 for August 2014 

1. J.V.C HA-SZ2000 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT

Impedance:16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Veiled , Poor stock pads.

Vid 1  Vid 2

2. FOSTEX TH900

Driver size: 50mm dia Nd magnet

Impedance 25 Ohm
Amp Headroom: 
EQ: Needs (raise bass only)
Genre' Anything
Weakness:...Price?

vid

3. FOSTEX TH600

Driver size: Driver:50mm dia Nd magnet / bio-dynamic diaphragm

Impedance 25 Ohm
Amp Headroom: 
Genre' Anything

Weakness:.

vid

4. J.V.C HA-SZ1000

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT                                                                                                        

​
Impedance 16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: less veiled than sz2k but veiled , Poor stock pads.

vid  vid2

5. Sony XB1000

Driver size: 70mm Mylar (PET) 

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
Genre' (HipHop/EDM/?)
Weakness:pillow pads absorb too much of the hit.

vid

6. Sony XB700

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good +18dB @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM)
Weakness: Pillow pads absorb too much of the hit. 

vid

7. JVC HA-MR77x

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 46 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs (to raise mids)
Genre' (Hip-Hop)
Weakness: mids sound like ass.

vid

8. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness:pad size (shallow)

vid

9. V-Moda M100

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: (?)
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness:stock pads shallow  

vid

10. ATH - PRO 700MK2

Driver size: 53mm  Mylar (PET)

Impedance 38 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/?)
Weakness: Pad depth. Different pairs very different sound?

vid

HARDWARE USED 

DAP: COWON iAudio10

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9
Volume: 34

AMP: FiiO e12

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

* All cans tested using identical hardware and setting by 2 different Head-fi'ers  besides Yamaha Pro 500

Tracks used

An additional Bass mega mix created by cb was used for a final battle between the sz2k and the TH900

Notes & Thoughts

Never saw the "TH" Bash brothers coming. I have heard and been impressed but it took an owner to put them through the motions to confirm that they are not only epic audiophile cans they have enormous low end power.
If you're a basshead and want your cake (bass) and eat it too (Hi fidelity sound along with it)...the TH series wait for you...and your money
wink.gif

Every can on this list is owned by a single owner and were compared in exactly the same manner. On the ear to confirm what the Paper test shows. That's a nice visual to enjoy. The settings were identical. Personal bias was overcome. I know 1 user who would have loved to have seen those hand glazed cups at #1. Never think this is about anything but bass. Lotta work and communication goes on that you never see.  Most thought out comprehensive, accurately compared list of bass cans on the internet by a very wide margin.

Enjoy.

NOT TOP 10, BUT STILL RECOMMENDED!

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Drivers: 40mm

Form: Over Ear

Frequency Response: 8Hz-30kHz

Sensitivity: 115dB

Impedance: 95 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 20HZ-20KHZ

Sensitivity: 110db

Impedance: 32 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 20Hz-23kHz

Sensitivity: 110dB

Impedance: 16 ohms

Video

Form: On Ear

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity: Not Specified

Video

Frequency Response: 10Hz-20KHz

Sensitivity: 110db

Impedance: 64 ohms

Video

Drivers: 50mm:)

Frequency Response: 5Hz-30KHz

Sensitivity: 107db

Video

Drivers: 50mm

Frequency Response: 10Hz-22kHz

Sensitivity: 100dB

Impedance: 24 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 3Hz-28kHz

Sensitivity: 106db

Impedance: 24 ohms

Video

Drivers: 57mm

Frequency Response: 5Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity: 108dB

Video

Drivers: 57mm

Frequency Response: 5Hz-30kHz

Sensitivity: 107dB

Video

Frequency Response: 5Hz-32kHz

Sensitivity: 115dB

Video

Drivers: 53mm

Frequency Response: 5Hz-35kHz

Sensitivity: 106dB

Impedance: 68 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 10Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity: Not specified

Video

Frequency Response: Not specified

Impedance: Not specified

Video

Drivers: 89mm

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz

Impedance: 8 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 6Hz-40kHz

Sensitivity: 106dB

Video

Edited by cb3723 - 8/8/14 at 7:03pm

This is a collection of the hardest hitting cans. Nothing more.
There are no links provided. We do not do sales by proxy. Find your own links.
You proceed with the knowledge that nothing is better than a personal listening experience.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,826 of 12,992
What would be a good all around headphone? I have M100s and I love them but I feel I want even more bass. These are great and I do love them. I have these paired with the Fiio E18, bass on, gain high and volume pushed pretty high before it taxes my ears. I listen to anything from rap to metal and anything in between. Anyone can grab a basshead headphone but I want a great mixture of highs/mids/lowszzz. I ask in this thread because I love bass and I'm sure I will get great feedback.

Also, is the Fiio E17 better than the E18? Should I consider grabbing one?

If you're looking for a basshead headphone that sounds great right out of the box without EQ, I can recommend:

M-Audio Q40 - pros: price, SQ - detailed mids and highs with emphasised bass

.......................cons: build quality, feel fragile

ULTRASONE Signature DJ - pros: Amazing controlled, textured and beautiful bass - possibly the best or one of the best "audiophile" basshead headphones money can buy, understated luxury, amazing robust build, SQ that bass doesn't bleed into mids or highs, excellent detail and soundstage, well accessorised

...........................................cons: high price, S-Logic feature reduces SPL up to 40%

But do check the top 10 and recommended headphones listings above - bass/paper test video links show each cans SPL performance as a visual aid :wink:

Both the Q40 and Signature DJ headphones are listed in the recommended section, but as always is the golden rule, always attempt to audition a new headphone yourself in person (if possible) :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #1,827 of 12,992
Thanks all for your feedback. I'll let you know when I get the sz2k. I have a fiio E07K right now so I hope It does the job, don't feel like spending $120 more for an e12. There is 1 pair available 55x pads on eBay, just one.

I might as well buy a new xx and use the sz2k pads on it, should be funny.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,829 of 12,992
The signature dj headphones look kinda like m50s

I see where you're coming from - kinda :)

But trust me, build and SQ wise - they couldn't be more different :wink:

The Sig DJ is the epitome of understated luxury.

The headband and earpads are covered in Ethiopian sheepskin leather which is amazingly soft but unique in not being porous so any sweat they encounter, bearing in mind these are primarily designed for pro DJ use, doesn't damage the leather whatsoever unlike conventional cow skin leather that can crack over time and use. The Sig DJ's leather is soft but weird to touch as it has a rubbery texture/feel to it - very exotic yet functional.

The outer earcups circular branded inlays on the Sig DJ are made with re-enforced safety glass and the overall build is extremely well hand constructed at ULTRASONE's in house assembly facility in Germany.

Each headphone comes with it's own unique production serial number, below is mine, SD00499.

SQ wise, these cans are phenomenal - a true blue audiophile basshead headphone for sure and one of if not the best detailed, controlled and articulate punchy bass I've ever heard on a headphone, that doesn't bleed at all into the also detailed and forward mids and highs that aren't undermined by the notable emphasised bass these cans are re known for. Highs are smooth and nicely balanced - no harsh sibilance at all - and the added sucker punch of these already superb cans - they sound virtually as good directly plugged into your music source, iPod, iPad, Smartphone etc, un-amplified as they do amplified, making them ideal as a portable on the go headphone also - very versatile for sure.

Just pure class all around.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/SZzf2kCb0tA[/VIDEO]​

LoL - the dudes in the above promo video come across as a bit OTT ham acting and dude with brown shirt pronounces "signature series" as "signature serious", plus other guys shirt is just too - red? But you get the just that these dudes care a lot in delivering high quality sounding and build headphones :cool:

Phil at Digital DJ Tips gives a more down to earth overview of the Signature DJ cans below:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/c8Ai6Vf6H4w[/VIDEO]​

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back