The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 5, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #11,854 of 12,970
Wow @StarTreker that is a beautiful equalizer

Thanks TJdub!

That my friend is a Realistic 12-band Equalizer. It is vintage, but kept in mint condition inside, with very little scuffs on the outside, bought it off Ebay, and you can still get them. It was made back in 1985, and was sold in Radioshack stores, back in the day when electronic stores were a thing, before the days of the internet, before all our dark times, before the war. (My God, I sound like Obiwon in Star Wars lol) All I had to do when I got it, is open it up and use a can of De-Oxit, to clean all the lever POT'S, they were a little scratchy sounding due to age. Because the box doesn't heatup enough to need intake ports, it was immaculate inside, no dust! And since using my EQ box, I have been able to make everything I have connected up to it, sound delicious. Thanks for the kind words for my EQ unit, much appreciated. :L3000:

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #11,855 of 12,970
You guys want some bass? Try running your headphones out of a vintage speaker amp setup................

Attachments

• Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg
    Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #11,856 of 12,970
You guys want some bass? Try running your headphones out of a vintage speaker amp setup................

Love the old receiver and amp sound. I'm using the Emotiva BasX A-100 with the jumpers installed for my planars. It's got that vintage sound with all the speaker power run through the headphone jack.

From the manual:
"The A-100 also includes a great sounding headphone output, which combines the sonic signature of high-end vintage equipment with the superb performance of modern circuitry, and which offers the ability to drive low-efficiency planar headphones without the need for adapters and custom cables."

Power Output (headphone output; direct drive mode)
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION):
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel
33 Ohms: 12 watts / channel
47 Ohms: 8.5 watts / channel
150 Ohms: 2.6 watts / channel
300 Ohms: 1.3 watts / channel
600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #11,857 of 12,970
Hi guys! I've just got Fostex TH-600. I use them with IFI micro iDSD BL. I can't hear enough bass/sub-bass while IFI's xBass feature is switched off. Even then, I think there're a lot of hights. I am used to listening IEMs. Right now I have BGVP DMS and they have heavy bass comparing to TH-600. With TH-600 highs are killing me.
What am I doing wrong? =) Any suggestions on what should I try next?
The only lack of BGVP is they are IEMs. As the result, they don't have much scene and my ears get tired fast. My perfect headphones have great bass/sub-bass and cristal details.
TH-600 has the sub-bass and but lacks mid-bass as well.
If the th600 isn’t bass heavy enough, but has too much highs you might be in trouble. Those were my kings for years. The th900 has a lot more bass, but even more highs. You may want to avoid those. My current love 💗 are the denon d7200, i feel these are the best compromise between both top end fostex models, with a bit of a twist.

Outside of modding/pad swapping the only option that may way work for you is the cascades. Also you say you are coming from iem’s, the bass is different for certain. It took me a while to get used to “less” bass of cans. I was an iem guy until a bit before the thx00 came out, so i know what you mean when you say the iem seems like it has kore bass. It’s the fact that its bass comes through a hermetic seal, directly into the ear canal.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #11,858 of 12,970
Hello! I'm new to the community and I love bass, yet everyone says they like "Neutral" sound signatures yet I see people talking about how they love bright sounding headphones. Bass heavy headphones are NEVER talked about...it's borderline annoying why cant you like low end and hifi? So I found this thread and decided to make this place my home

Headphones I have: HE:4xx, M1060c (Open), A1M2.
Headphones I want: LCD-2c, Z1R
Headphones I want but will probably never get: HA-SZ2000, XB1000
Welcome 🏡

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #11,859 of 12,970
Does anything hit harder and/or has more bass than the campfire cascade? I like the bass from the cascade but I guess might be a bit too controlled for me and I'm wanting something that really slams and farts in my ears. I guess I'm still looking for a bass cannon that makes you feel like your getting obliterated.

I like how resolving the cascades are and the sound signature is also something i like but I want more bass but im not sure if i'm asking for the impossible. I could always play with EQ but I still haven't.
Have you tried the th900?

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #11,861 of 12,970
Hello Head-Fi,

I'd happily buy a pair of AH-D5200s seeing as I'm a former Denon DH-2000, AH-7100 and Fostex TH-900 owner, both of which I was very happy with until their headbands broke easily without me ever taking them outside. Now I don't know if the D5200s have better headbands, and I can't remember how well these cans isolate compared to others.

So I am looking for: Headphones that isolate (maybe even cancel...) a lot of noise, last long, have good enough sound quality with ample bass, don't draw too much power since I don't want to switch back to more expensive amps knowing what mine can do with a pair of Denons of V-Moda, and they have to be available in Europe. I have tried several headphones but I don't remember how well they isolate. Am running an FX-Audio DAC-X6 with the internal gain jumpers moved to the "high" position and am prepared to use some software-based EQ in Windows to bump up some bass. Why the need for isolation? I have a computer which I use for gaming but I'm not too fond of the fan noise (and yes it has plenty of decent quality fans and airflow, it's just that my GPU is rather beefy).

My history besides the Fostex/Denons from what I can remember: The Shure SRH1540 and I found the bass severely lacking and build quality mediocre. The V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and I also found their bass lacking, but the biggest problem was that they weren't comfortable because they clamped my head too forcefully making me sweaty. And the Philips SHP-8000 which I regret sending back because they were kind of good for the price, they just could've been built a tad better and if I just wasn't too snobby about equalizers at the time I could've just bumped the bass and be done by buying several lasting me a lifetime.

If anyone could help in my search that would be a blast.
For denons i would recommend the d7200 I don’t recall hearing about a broken headband , just uncomfortable ones. for vmoda the lp2. I found the m100 to be all hype, no substance.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #11,863 of 12,970
...I found the m100 to be all hype, no substance.

I felt the same way, and I bought them twice, lol. Didn't like them at all the first time, and then I was told a year or two later that I must not have given them a fair shake because they were fantastic. So I bought them a second time and I hated them more than the first go round.

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #11,864 of 12,970
I felt the same way, and I bought them twice, lol. Didn't like them at all the first time, and then I was told a year or two later that I must not have given them a fair shake because they were fantastic. So I bought them a second time and I hated them more than the first go round.
Ouch lol. I’ve done that with the es10, and pro700 mk2.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #11,865 of 12,970
Sound is subjective to everybody. You'll also hear people tell you that a 20 dollar gaming headset sounds good, only because they've never heard any audiophile cans. Moral of the story, try out the headphone yourself, make your opinions then. Its another reason why I never listen to the opinions of soundbar owners, what do they know about good sound, their using a soundbar! :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back