The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #11,836 of 12,992
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #11,838 of 12,992
Anyone would guess which headphone is better? Yamaha pro 500 ( bought it because it shows in the Bass ranking here) vs Meze 99 classic vs B&W P7 vs V-Moda LP2? As the ranking is old, I liked the Yamaha but since I also got the JVC Live Beats I think about getting something different.Also have the LCD XC and Elear. Tkx

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #11,839 of 12,992
Oh right. I forgot about that pair. Its been so long that i've had them in storage for years to keep them away from my cat. He's tried eating these cables so i'll probably recable them and enjoy them again. Taking them out and yeah I dont think I need anything else. Thank you for the help! I can't believe I forgot about these in that shoe box.

Yeah, I've been missing these and didn't even know it. Ears are satisfied.
Well, you've got a legend in the MDR-XB500; it's practically a collector's item now. I still have my original MDR-XB500, MDR-XB700, and MDR-XB1000, and I won't be selling these headphones. These cans produce some truly spectacular bass. Yes, the mids are terribly recessed, and the treble is (nearly) non-existent, but, wow, those lows... they can slam, they can rumble, and they go really, really deep. :L3000:

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #11,840 of 12,992
Even on the aftermarket?
Sorry, what do you mean by "aftermarket?"

In any case, I was answering from the perspective of the audiophile segment - there isn't a headphone that is more resolving than the Cascade, but has a greater level of bass. Headphones like the Fostex TH900 Mk2, the Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation), the Sony MDR-Z1R - they produce some potent and alluring lows; however, in sheer quantity, especially in the mid-bass, the Cascade leaves them in the dust.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #11,842 of 12,992
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #11,843 of 12,992
Thank you. And what about analogic 80s style EQs? Are they good? Have you tried the Schiit Loki?
I'll put my two cents in here as a long-time owner of the Loki. I stream using a Google Pixelbook so Android. I have yet to find a good software EQ so I went with the Loki a couple of years ago. I totally love that thing! I won't buy a combo amp/dac because you can't use the Loki with those. I have a TH-900 MK1 and a Z1R that I boost the bass on even though they already are basshead cans. The Loki is so simple to use compared to 12-band equalizers. Just 4 knobs. Try it - you won't regret it.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #11,844 of 12,992
For me the end game is the CFA Cascades. I have been buying closed backs with some thump for about six years. And of course losing money as I sell every single one of them on. :smile:
I have finally found what works, for me. I am not a basshead and do not listen to hip-hop, EDM, etc. Mostly new rock, Classic rock, blues and some jazz.
These beat everything else by a wide margin, IMO. I have tried:
B&W P5's (gen 1), ATH-M50X's, Oppo PM3's, Senn HD598C's, NightOwl Carbon's, Sony MDR-Z7's, Meze 99 Classic's, Beyerdynamic T5p Gen. 2's, Shure 1540's and Fostex TH-610's (about to be for sale). All were very disappointing, to me. I just wanted a fun, closed headphone with some Boom without being a mess.
These are exactly what I have been looking for, except for the irritating frame which hurt my head until I "massaged" it into a new shape.

I just put them back on yesterday and I had forgotten already (got them a few weeks ago) how much bass there is. It makes me giggle.
I live in Canada so to top these I would have to look at spending $2K and over. I don't see that happening in the near future. And if it did, it would likely be Clears or Arya's. :L3000:

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #11,845 of 12,992
I'll put my two cents in here as a long-time owner of the Loki. I stream using a Google Pixelbook so Android. I have yet to find a good software EQ so I went with the Loki a couple of years ago. I totally love that thing! I won't buy a combo amp/dac because you can't use the Loki with those. I have a TH-900 MK1 and a Z1R that I boost the bass on even though they already are basshead cans. The Loki is so simple to use compared to 12-band equalizers. Just 4 knobs. Try it - you won't regret it.
Thank you. Yeah I dont think the EQ sws sound natural for me on the Fiio M11 Pro

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #11,846 of 12,992
As a professional mixing and mastering engineer, I highly recommend this EQ:

https://cravedsp.com/crave-eq
Well, I've tried to play with this EQ. For some tracks, I could achieve a good result but the same settings don't work for the other ones. The bass from earphones ten times lower price is much better than from TH-600+EQ. I have to test CA Cascade as my last chance =)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #11,848 of 12,992
Well, I've tried to play with this EQ. For some tracks, I could achieve a good result but the same settings don't work for the other ones. The bass from earphones ten times lower price is much better than from TH-600+EQ. I have to test CA Cascade as my last chance =)

I know nothing about those headphones. I merely suggested a good EQ software, and that is something I know a fair bit about, especially when it comes to headphone correction. If what you are trying to do isn't working with Crave EQ, I can assure you that it's not because the EQ software isn't good enough. That is one of the most transparent, flexible, mastering-grade, EQs on the planet.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #11,849 of 12,992
Software EQ greatly depends on the machine its installed on, to be able to put out with its internal DAC and OP-AMPS. Most computers and low end phones are not able to do it, they simply lack the power to do so. It was one of the reasons why I got a EQ box, which is an actual piece of hardware, that has a transformer inside it, that provides all the PRE-AMP power that it needs, to do the job. Of course, whenever you raze a frequency, you got to drop the gain power into the negative, but thats just a part of doing EQ.

11396781.jpg

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #11,850 of 12,992
Have you tried pad swapping?, fostex headphones can change dramatically with a pad change
Yes, I have tried 3 completely different ones. I'm going to try TH-900mk2 in the local store. TH-600 is quite an old model and maybe it's only my unit issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back