The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Nov 3, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #7,936 of 12,993
   That is a very very good track to make BASS boasts with
biggrin.gif

Nice triple hit mixed in there.

Which case and amp is that  ? I like the way it fits

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #7,938 of 12,993
  Which case and amp is that  ? I like the way it fits

Amp is oppo ha-2, cable from peterek, the dock is from here

https://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HA-2-Headphone-iPhone-6S/dp/B01H2DX5UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478193240&sr=8-1&keywords=oppo+ha2+iphone+dock

Its nice not having to reach into your pocket and navigate through all the cables just so you can lower or higher volume.  Pretty much at my end game (for now) with this portable rig.  Only thing to complain about is that the case should have came with a charging port and the ha-2 coming with FF and REW buttons.

I have to say that the pm-3 and Ha-2 has made me a fan of Oppo products.  

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,939 of 12,993

Amp is oppo ha-2, cable from peterek, the dock is from here

https://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HA-2-Headphone-iPhone-6S/dp/B01H2DX5UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478193240&sr=8-1&keywords=oppo+ha2+iphone+dock

Its nice not having to reach into your pocket and navigate through all the cables just so you can lower or higher volume.  Pretty much at my end game (for now) with this portable rig.  Only thing to complain about is that the case should have came with a charging port and the ha-2 coming with FF and REW buttons.

I have to say that the pm-3 and Ha-2 has made me a fan of Oppo products.  

I had tried this combo in a store in Paris but as a fan of subbass i wasn't happy with it. But i know many people on this forum see this pm3/ha2 duo as a top combo !

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #7,940 of 12,993
  I had tried this combo in a store in Paris but as a fan of subbass i wasn't happy with it. But i know many people on this forum see this pm3/ha2 duo as a top combo !

You feel the PM-3 is lacking in sub-bass? I'm asking because now that I have my end game headphones (SZ2K) for complete brain smashing bass, I'm looking to get a pair of top quality sounding headphones that still have respectable low end sub-bass reproduction for when I just want to relax and listen to music at medium volumes, along with the occasional movie or Netflix show. I've really been debating closed vs open cans, since open seems the best for soundstage which would be great for movies etc. Not to mention most of the well respected open cans have great overall sound quality, but the problem with them is their sub bass reproduction. Most reviewers who review them are not bassheads, so I don't trust their opinion on bass response. I'm not looking for face vibrating bass out of these, but I also don't want to be let down with what could possibly sound like ZERO low end to me. Which is why I've started to second guess open cans all together, and have been looking at closed cans as well. I don't have any stores around me to demo anything, so I'm stuck with going off of online reviews. I'm still completely lost on what headphones would be best for me. Looking to stay under $400, so the Oppo PM-3's were on my radar as I've heard good things about them. 

Currently I have a pair of Soundmagic HP200's for "easy" listening, but they are a bit too bright for me. With the bass boost in the "on" position on my E12, along with a little EQ, their sub-bass is acceptable for what I want out of them. I'd just like something a little less bright, with maybe a bit better mids and at least the same level of bass production. Better soundstage would be welcomed bonus. 

I know this is the basshead thread, but I figured I would mention my dilemma in here as I trust your opinions more than most others on this site. Since you all share the same love for the BASS as I do, and aren't wussies about it lol.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #7,941 of 12,993
@Strauss95 I thought it had an okay but nothing too special or amazing sub bass, but I only used them for maybe two minutes, before my friend sold his. He sold them because they were too bassy for him, but they weren't bassy enough for me.

What I did not have was my big EQ boost or powerful amps to try with. I just used them off his setup and 99% sure there was no EQ.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #7,942 of 12,993
  @Strauss95 I thought it had an okay but nothing too special or amazing sub bass, but I only used them for maybe two minutes, before my friend sold his. He sold them because they were too bassy for him, but they weren't bassy enough for me.

What I did not have was my big EQ boost or powerful amps to try with. I just used them off his setup and 99% sure there was no EQ.

Well that would be fine for this headphone as I'm not looking for excessive amounts of sub bass, I just need them to hit nice and low without being thunderous if you know what I mean? Looking for a headphone, either open or closed, with nice "full" sounding sub-bass, great midrange, clear treble, and decent soundstage. I wouldn't say my HP200's have "lots" of bass and or sub-bass, but they respond nice down low. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #7,943 of 12,993
Well that would be fine for this headphone as I'm not looking for excessive amounts of sub bass, I just need them to hit nice and low without being thunderous if you know what I mean? Looking for a headphone, either open or closed, with nice "full" sounding sub-bass, great midrange, clear treble, and decent soundstage. I wouldn't say my HP200's have "lots" of bass and or sub-bass, but they respond nice down low. 

Ask hawaiibadboy maybe I have already tested it... I gave my impression as basshead who loves not big big impact but certainly to have all the frequencies reproduction. That s why I don't manage to use iems as they can t reproduce frequencies under 30hz that well (was owner of asg 2.5)

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #7,944 of 12,993
Nov 4, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #7,946 of 12,993
Yeah 4 sure i saw that list and videos but i wanted more an user opinion because for me it is not that clear difference in the videos.

The vids just confirm a set can do what most cannot. User input is the ranking decider not paper. We use that to get folks who make wild bass claims to either put up or shut up.
Works really good. The list ranking is pretty accurate for impact. Only the emu are not listed but maybe should be as i have not heard them to compare.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #7,947 of 12,993

If you guys had your rigs, you would be singing a different song :).  

Pm-3 is pretty much ruler flat in the bass region.  These things do need a good amount of clean power to go into basshead mode.  The ha-2 can't push it to the limits, but with the idsd micro its a beast.  I find myself using the bass boost again with these.  

If your looking for a portable and closed then the pm-3 is a good choice.  If its for desktop use then I would suggest something like the thx00/th600.

the pm-3 are great but they do lack in sound stage .

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #7,948 of 12,993
Thank you chillaxing for your input, I really appreciate it. If you have had the opportunity to hear both, how would you compare the THX00 with the PM-3? More than likely I will get one or the other, as I really want a nice overall sounding closed can with good bass (leaning towards PM-3 for portability factor). Any idea how either compares with the Yamaha Pro 500?

And one other question for you bassheads. I always read SO much praise for the HD600/650 around these forums, for their amazing sound quality. I also already know that they are FAR from having any kind of decent bass, but to a basshead do they sound like they have ZERO sub-bass? I'd like to get myself a nice pair of open back headphones for easy listening, but don't want something that has practically zero sub-bass. I'm not looking for an open can with sub-bass I can actually feel, just want to make sure I can actually hear it lol. And would my E12 be enough amp for a headphone like that with them being 300ohms? I've always wanted to hear what all the fuss is about with a headphone like that, closest I have ever heard to something like those is my HP200's. I bought those when they first came out to try an open back can, but turns out they are only "semi" open, so I have still yet to experience a true open back headphone.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #7,949 of 12,993
  Thank you chillaxing for your input, I really appreciate it. If you have had the opportunity to hear both, how would you compare the THX00 with the PM-3? More than likely I will get one or the other, as I really want a nice overall sounding closed can with good bass (leaning towards PM-3 for portability factor). Any idea how either compares with the Yamaha Pro 500?

And one other question for you bassheads. I always read SO much praise for the HD600/650 around these forums, for their amazing sound quality. I also already know that they are FAR from having any kind of decent bass, but to a basshead do they sound like they have ZERO sub-bass? I'd like to get myself a nice pair of open back headphones for easy listening, but don't want something that has practically zero sub-bass. I'm not looking for an open can with sub-bass I can actually feel, just want to make sure I can actually hear it lol. And would my E12 be enough amp for a headphone like that with them being 300ohms? I've always wanted to hear what all the fuss is about with a headphone like that, closest I have ever heard to something like those is my HP200's. I bought those when they first came out to try an open back can, but turns out they are only "semi" open, so I have still yet to experience a true open back headphone.

I've listened to the HD650 with E12A and E12 DIY and the bass is just "girly".  What I mostly did not like about the HD650, is that the music I listened to for years didn't sound right to my ears. I got the Hifiman 400i and love it for everything, except subbass vibration level the JVC's put out. It still goes deep with the right power and EQ.       

BTW, I too am looking at the PM-3 for the future.  Planar bass is just a good different.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #7,950 of 12,993

I too am curious about the oh-so-amazing hd650 (especially with the HD6XX dropping Monday for cheap). But the way I figure is why waste my money-- I bought the Fidelio x1 wayyy back for pretty cheap and they are my only open back cans and I love them - out of either M-stage amp or my Aune T1 they really do sound great, with enough bass... but obviously not what you can get with the sz2k or similar. IMO you might check out the fidelio x1 or x2 if you are interested in something open but still near basshead territory?

I wish I was better at explaining how the low end of headphones sound with the appropriate terminology, but unfortunately that's not my strong suit. I just know when something sounds good to my ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back