The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 26, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #6,136 of 12,993
  Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can replace my xb 500s with? I loved these headphones and am not familiar with any of the newer stuff. I'd like to get something equal to - or better - in terms of sound/bass and comfort. I wear my headphones for hours upon hours a day and comfort is a definite. Thanks!

I'm not sure about the XB500 but another member will pop in with a good rec of a similar set. I don't know the XB500 so I dunno the sound sig? You'll get an answer soon

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #6,137 of 12,993

I'm not sure about the XB500 but another member will pop in with a good rec of a similar set. I don't know the XB500 so I dunno the sound sig? You'll get an answer soon

Thanks for letting me know! So far, I've come across these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/281916483540?hash=item41a38827d4:g:Wz4AAOSwUV9Wolqi

They seem a little pricey though. I should note that I do not use an amp - and do not plan to anytime soon. but one day I will pick one up :)

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #6,138 of 12,993
I'm an idiot. I didn't even think to listen to them at a Guitar Center. I'll head down there today and check em out in person. Thanks! Are there any big chain stores that carry the v-modas?

My sz1000 has an expected arrival date of feb 9-29th so I have no clue when they'll actually show up. This purchase is gonna be for my next trip to Hawaii (going in April) and I want an easy pair of good headphones to take with me. Well, that's the excuse I'm giving the old lady so I can get a new pair of headphones, but don't tell her.

I think apple stores carry v-modas

I know you don't want to amp, but I still suggest strapping a c5 or e12 to your phone 
biggrin.gif
  Basshead tendencies...

Hey,  Hawaiibadboy, have you ever tried vintage amplifiers/receivers?

Me, Luckbad & Oregonian can verify they are supreme for bass compared to the headphone amps of today.

Just make sure to buy one with a loudness button/switch.
They will turn even the Sennheiser HD800 into a bass cannon.

Vintage is money.

Its crazy how my ka9100 can put my modern receiver to shame without DSP.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #6,142 of 12,993

Thanks, look forward to hearing responses.

I'm not too keen on headphones, but I loved my xb500s. So far, I've been eyeballing the xb950bt, another pair of xb500s (ebay), or the dt990/770s.

I'm a pretty big basshead, but if I could get some awesome sounding ones (like my car audio? lol) for a decent price (under 200) - I would be sold.

Other ones I have come across are some denon dh 1000s I think the name was?

I know comfort is subjective, but damn, after trying out the xb950bt's (which are comfortable), they come nothing near the air and cushion of my xb500s.

I like the xb950bts, but something seems off about them so far. Sound seems muffled? Not sure, but they aren't too bad nonetheless.

Note: Tons of EDM, tons of rap - and tons of movies. These are main uses - on PC with no amp. Can I still use 250 ohm or do I need an amp or soundcard? I can get one, but not right away - dont the dt's to be non-usable if i get them. Also, how are the bass on these? Anyone? It would be cool to experience something totally different/better than my xb500s; just not sure what ohm I need (for dt770 for dt990)?  And what are benefits/disadvantages of open/closed design - what are xb500s considered?

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #6,143 of 12,993
Just got my TH-X00, source still on the way, so now piping through Meier-Audio Porta corda, but plays already nice.

SZ2000 is very difficult to find for inexpensively here in the EU (only Japanese/US sellers and shipping/taxes/customs totally make it NOT worthwhile).

So, while my DAC/AMP are on their way, here are some test tracks for you.

I've bottomed out the bass section on several high end ($20 000) speakers, including the famed B&W 802S and the biggest Genelecs with these.

And an oldie, but goldie, that doesn't sound challenging, but totally destroys many 15" subwoofer systems (they just start farting, instead of playing nice). Funnily enough, the label that this appeared on was "Blow Up" :-D

Turn it up!

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #6,145 of 12,993
I'm not entirely sure what I want out of these. I know for sure that I don't want to amp them when I'm out and about. I also don't want to eq them. Just plug em in and go. Durability is important, so is portability. It doesn't need to have basshead levels of bass, but detailed bass is important.

The one biggest thing that made me hesitant with the m50x is a post I read about the pleather headband flaking. My Sony xb500 is doing that and I don't use them much because of it.

I'm worried I'll get the m50x then later wish I would have gotten the m100 (or vice versa).

If you want a headphones to just plug em in and go, a very nice durability, beautiful and detailed bass without EQ them or use an amp, with the plus that you can fold them and take up less space, Crossfade M-100 is a good choice.

PD: for who comment about xb950bt, In my personal opinion I don't like about the fidelity of his electric bass , sounds like not according to how it was conceived the music I listen to at that time.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #6,146 of 12,993
I'd like to thank you guys for nudging me towards the m100. I think I'll be much happier with these vs the m50x. I don't want to amp them because I always travel with the wife and 3 kids. I don't want to lug around more than l need to. The other thing is my only amp is the cayin c5 and it's not holding up well to being carried every day, so it'll be retired to home use. Thanks again guys, I'm gonna start stalking eBay and classifieds for the perfect pair of used m100's.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can replace my xb 500s with? I loved these headphones and am not familiar with any of the newer stuff. I'd like to get something equal to - or better - in terms of sound/bass and comfort. I wear my headphones for hours upon hours a day and comfort is a definite. Thanks!
The xb500 is the only experience I have with over ear headphones (other than my gaming headphones) and the only iems I own are the xb90 and Wooduos. Compared to my iem's without an amp the xb500 isn't very punchy. Plug them into the cayin and they get to almost basshead levels but they distort badly, especially with the bassboost on. I'll let you know what I think about the sz1000 and m100 when I get them.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #6,147 of 12,993
Hey what would you all recommend as an upgrade to an X1 + o2/odac setup? Mainly talking headphones but if it's something too much for the o2 to handle then so be it. I like the soundstage of the X1 but I find the clarity and imaging to be lacking, would be nice to keep the intensity of the bass but better mids would be nice too. I'm listening to stuff with more female vocals recently if that helps, and I CANNOT stand sibilance, though I don't doubt it might be the source but if that can be eliminated or minimized as much as possible that'd be nice, I couldn't really find a good spot on an EQ to eliminate that without murdering the rest of the sound.

I thought about the th-x00 but I think I ultimately want all the advantages that a truly open headphone brings.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #6,149 of 12,993
Can't find a proper basshead portable, battery powered amp thread (is there one)?

Has anybody tried any of the recent higher-end models like:

iBasso P5 Falcon (Output power (on battery): 300mW @ 16Ω, 380mW @ 32Ω, 100mW @ 300Ω, 60mW @ 600Ω, bass boost: 100Hz +6dB. Gain: 0/+6/+9dB)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/752829/fresh-from-the-oven-ibasso-p5-falcon

ALO Continental Dual Mono (80mW @32Ω, 95mW @50Ω, 75mW @150Ω, 60mW @300Ω). Arf, just found out it's susceptible to EMI noise from phones. Of course, the tubes...
http://www.aloaudio.com/continental-dual-mono

I'd prefer clean, non-edgy, never-harsh, portable power in my pocket. Bass boost is not a must (Viper4android is good enough for that, for now). Driving Westone, Aude Phonak, Shure IEMS and possibly SZ2000, when I finally am able to source them :-D

What do you guys recommend?

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #6,150 of 12,993
I can't imagine anything tube powered being battery powered?

Arrow 5tx is the king of bass even without the extended bass version. I have not heard anything but praise for the cayin c5 which I hope to try. The digital encoder for volume is priceless with iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back