The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 3, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #3,106 of 12,991
  Like it was said before, you want to get the regular e12 . 

Without the use of an eq, you will get a good experience not too far off from the combination with the amp. The rattle/shake however you wanna call it is done by the amp, the EQ adds oomph on top of that. The eq is basically the pre-amp to the amp. That means you're in much better shape with the amp than with just an EQ. 

e12 OK gotcha thanks

man i hope these sz2000s+e12 KILL my sony mdr xb500+ e7 set up

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,108 of 12,991
The unofficial amp for the extreme bass club here is the Fiio E12. It is designed to be portable, but I suppose you can use it as a desktop amp as well if you want... Just make sure to charge it up every night. With a typical Li-Ion battery, you want to keep it topped up to prolong the life of it, IIRC. I believe you can also charge the E12 and use it at the same time, but I don't recommend it since you'll likely get a lot of noise in the line and it's not something great for the battery itself.

I get most of my stuff on Amazon. EBay can be unreliable due to lots of fake items or damaged/used stuff marked as new. I would only suggest eBay if you want to save some money and buy used, but make sure you check out the sellers ratings and stuff and the item description.
You can get the E12 HERE. Make sure to avoid the E12A, you want the non "A" version because it is less powerful.

The number of the model is irrelevant to its performance. Higher number does not necessarily mean better. For example, the Fiio E17 is a higher number than the E12, but they are two totally different products that do not do the same thing.

Two of the best pads for the SZ1000 and SZ2000 are the Brainwavz HM5 for comfort and performance, and the pads from the JVC HAM55X or HAM77X. The two JVC headphones are not very good, so I would recommend you not buy them, although, you can buy the pads themselves for much cheaper.

HM5 pads HERE and 55X pads HERE. I seriously suggest you get these immediately. These are dirt cheap, even with shipping, there's only a couple still for sale, so definetly get a pair of these ASAP if you are serious about getting a pair of SZ2000's or SZ1000's.
There is also an "extra thick" version of the HM5 pads,if you want. Here is a comparison of the extra thick and normal HM5 pads...

Thanks for the informative comment, I'll be buying those thick pads as I am reminiscent of my XB 500's pads.

Could someone give me the dimensions of the earcups for the SZ2000's? What dimensions do the replacement earpads have to be? I'd love to try some Sony XB 500/700/1000 pads.

Hi RadikulRAM,

I too own a FIIO (Though mine is the e17 which is a DAC and amplifier in one.) and I love it for what it does. However, to answer your question, no, you can't just go by the "Larger number is better" rule. I believe that the e12 is the highest output PORTABLE amplifier FIIO makes. It outputs a maximum of 880mW at 32 Ohm if I recall correctly, which is really good for a portable amp. And I don't know of a portable solution in that price range that outdoes it. (probably why it is the unofficial Basshead amp recommendation here.). The only reason I haven't bought one is that the iDSD Micro that I already own has a BRIGHT amp that outputs 950mW at 32 Ohm in NORMAL mode and 1560mW at 16 Ohm in TURBO mode, which I am hoping will punch through the SZ2000 "veil" that the SZ1000 doesn't reportedly have. (Both Mw values are continuous, not peak power values.). So I'm eager to have my SZ2000 arrive next week to pair them and see the performance their pairing brings. Up until now, I've had a pair of Photive PH-BTX6 headphones which get a nod from this group for being "okay" bass-heavy headphones, and they really perform well with all that power, so I'm hoping the SZ2000 pair well with it too. (But the iDSD Micro is an Amp/DAC combo unit that is more than twice as expensive as the SZ2000, so... Yeah.). I got the iDSD Micro to power my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones, (Another terrific headphone that rocks a really nice bass, and is considered "classic audiophile" class headphones.)

I also got the brainwavz thick padded replacement earcups to to push the SZ2000 to their potential. I can't wait to hear your impressions when your correct gear arrives. Which sounds for you like: SZ2000 / FIIO e12 (plain, no letters or DIY behind the 12) / HM55 or S5 replacement pads / and an equalizer.

Is there a video/review comparing the bass boost of the e12s vs e10k desktop amp? And what technical specification am I looking for in an amp? Bigger ohms/mW output?

If not, I'll place an order for both the Fiio e12's and the new Fiio E10K desktop amp, see if I can make a video for you guys.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,109 of 12,991

Get the above track and go from :48sec to about 1:26

Lay a 1/2 an A4 sized sheet of regular printer paper on the XB500

See if the reaction is similar to this

ok ill test it out later today.. the right side is semi blown though so it wont be a fully accurate test but ill conduct it nonetheless.
I see on your youtube channel you have already done the sony mdr xb1000 paper test.. how would you compare the xb1000 vs the sz2000? God damn those xb1000s have 70mm drivers! but if the bass is the same quality as the xb500s it doesnt matter..

the bass on the xb500 , to me, isnt good quality bass.. its more like a 1 frequency vibration rather than taking you though all the different low end frequencies. I wasnt too impressed by the xb500. Just a bunch of virbrations to me rather than good quality, stiff , tight, deep bass.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #3,110 of 12,991

ok ill test it out later today.. the right side is semi blown though so it wont be a fully accurate test but ill conduct it nonetheless.
I see on your youtube channel you have already done the sony mdr xb1000 paper test.. how would you compare the xb1000 vs the sz2000? God damn those xb1000s have 70mm drivers! but if the bass is the same quality as the xb500s it doesnt matter..

the bass on the xb500 , to me, isnt good quality bass.. its more like a 1 frequency vibration rather than taking you though all the different low end frequencies. I wasnt too impressed by the xb500. Just a bunch of virbrations to me rather than good quality, stiff , tight, deep bass.

I regret not getting the XB1000's when they came out, they were like £200 ish in England. Now new ones sell for £450+.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #3,111 of 12,991
Sz1000's sold to JK-47. PayPaled me and I provideded him a tracking number in 10 minutes last night.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,112 of 12,991

Thanks for the informative comment, I'll be buying those thick pads as I am reminiscent of my XB 500's pads.

Could someone give me the dimensions of the earcups for the SZ2000's? What dimensions do the replacement earpads have to be? I'd love to try some Sony XB 500/700/1000 pads.

Is there a video/review comparing the bass boost of the e12s vs e10k desktop amp? And what technical specification am I looking for in an amp? Bigger ohms/mW output?

If not, I'll place an order for both the Fiio e12's and the new Fiio E10K desktop amp, see if I can make a video for you guys.

XB pads will not fit. I don't know the dimensions but they won't fit and even if they did, they absorb too much of the bass hit.

From Fiio, you need the e12. That's all. E12 has 4x the power of the e10k. It's really as simple as that lol. As we keep saying every page: get the e12. If you wanna buy or test/return another amp after that to compare, then do so. I'll guarantee it won't give the knock of the e12 if it's anything else sold by Fiio currently. What I would be interested in is seeing someone with a Cayin C5 make a video though because I might sell my e12 and get that instead if it hits harder or just as hard. It's cleaner, smoother, better soundstage. Also, I can't use my CIEM's with the e12 because it has too muich background hiss compared with my other amp, the Cayin C5 apparently has no distracting background hiss with any sensitive IEM. You need the e12a with CIEM's for fiio but even then you lose power and I don't want another amp, I want to replace what I have if it's better.
Also, It's the only true competitor for bass boost as it's only 80mW behind the e12. Just need someone to make a video because I don't feel like buying one right now just to try it 
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,113 of 12,991
  XB pads will not fit. I don't know the dimensions but they won't fit and even if they did, they absorb too much of the bass hit.

From Fiio, you need the e12. That's all. E12 has 4x the power of the e10k. It's really as simple as that lol. As we keep saying every page: get the e12. If you wanna buy or test/return another amp after that to compare, then do so. I'll guarantee it won't give the knock of the e12 if it's anything else sold by Fiio currently. What I would be interested in is seeing someone with a Cayin C5 make a video though because I might sell my e12 and get that instead if it hits harder or just as hard. It's cleaner, smoother, better soundstage. Also, I can't use my CIEM's with the e12 because it has too muich background hiss compared with my other amp, the Cayin C5 apparently has no distracting background hiss with any sensitive IEM. You need the e12a with CIEM's for fiio but even then you lose power and I don't want another amp, I want to replace what I have if it's better.
Also, It's the only true competitor for bass boost as it's only 80mW behind the e12. Just need someone to make a video because I don't feel like buying one right now just to try it 
tongue.gif

I see, thanks.

And is output power all we're looking for? I'm surprised portables are outputting more than desktop amps, but I'll deffo get the E12's.
I'll try to get my hands on the C5's for you, I'd like to try them myself vs the e12's. Any other similar level amps?

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #3,114 of 12,991
I see, thanks.

And is output power all we're looking for? I'm surprised portables are outputting more than desktop amps, but I'll deffo get the E12's.
I'll try to get my hands on the C5's for you, I'd like to try them myself vs the e12's. Any other similar level amps?

I believe there was a bit of miscommunication or a misconception. We are not going for just output power, that is partially irrelevant to larger bass. A simple way to explain it I guess would be that output power does help with all spectrums of the sound, including bass of course, but only certain amps will specifically boost the bass the way we love it. The most popular amp around here that does that is the E12. Why? That magical switch on the side that is dedicated to boosting the bass. As far as I've experienced, it's a hit or miss with amps that we like, "like" as in create tremendous bass. So then, who does go after only output power? People with hard to drive cans or audiophile cans. Just like we have problems looking for the right amp, they have their own problems like getting their cans loud enough or just the right mids and highs or low noise or whatever.

So in short... No, output power is not all we are looking for. Pure output power≠boosted bass. Get the Fiio E12, it is one of the few amps perfect for bassheads thanks to its bass boost switch.
Any other amps you get or want to try is up to you, and who knows, maybe you'll discover another amp suitable for us bassheads.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #3,115 of 12,991
I believe there was a bit of miscommunication or a misconception. We are not going for just output power, that is partially irrelevant to larger bass. A simple way to explain it I guess would be that output power does help with all spectrums of the sound, including bass of course, but only certain amps will specifically boost the bass the way we love it. The most popular amp around here that does that is the E12. Why? That magical switch on the side that is dedicated to boosting the bass. As far as I've experienced, it's a hit or miss with amps that we like, "like" as in create tremendous bass. So then, who does go after only output power? People with hard to drive cans or audiophile cans. Just like we have problems looking for the right amp, they have their own problems like getting their cans loud enough or just the right mids and highs or low noise or whatever.

So in short... No, output power is not all we are looking for. Pure output power≠boosted bass. Get the Fiio E12, it is one of the few amps perfect for bassheads thanks to its bass boost switch.
Any other amps you get or want to try is up to you, and who knows, maybe you'll discover another amp suitable for us bassheads.

Yeah y'all have been helpful, and in the uk we have nice returns policies so I wanna give back a bit with a simple review on something you guys might want.

I'm just planning on hooking the SZ2k's to each amp and taping the result.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,117 of 12,991

except the right amount of bass for me with the SZ2000 is at half the volume pot of the e12 at HIGH gain. If I had something with 4x less power I could never be satisfied. As long as you know what you're looking for, you'll make choices based on specific things you want.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,119 of 12,991
except the right amount of bass for me with the SZ2000 is at half the volume pot of the e12 at HIGH gain. If I had something with 4x less power I could never be satisfied. As long as you know what you're looking for, you'll make choices based on specific things you want.

Agreed that not enough power is not good for overall performance. I was meaning that for bass, it's not about chasing the most power output.

----
On another note, anyone recommend an EQ for Android? My current one only has five bands, like most on the play store, and is being a bitch to work, to say the least. I'm rooted, so planning on getting Viper4android. Power amp also sounds good, but I'm looking for a standalone EQ. Anyone? Anything?

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #3,120 of 12,991
Agreed that not enough power is not good for overall performance. I was meaning that for bass, it's not about chasing the most power output.

----
On another note, anyone recommend an EQ for Android? My current one only has five bands, like most on the play store, and is being a bitch to work, to say the least. I'm rooted, so planning on getting Viper4android. Power amp also sounds good, but I'm looking for a standalone EQ. Anyone? Anything?

Whatever you get will pale in comparison to viper4android. You will disappear into that tweak dream for long periods of time. I did and it wasn't even my phone. Really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back