Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #2,506 of 3,654
I think getting an FDX1 before the Dusk spoiled my impressions with the Dusk, they both have similar resolution with the Dusk having noticeably better imaging and dynamics.

Maybe I was expecting a bit too much given that most people have gushed over the Dusk and is considered to be the ultimate sub $500 IEM

I personally care about that last bit of performance which means the answer to an upgrade is a yes.

BTW, Meze Advar is an interesting pickup, very few people own a set, I think the price + Meze's no-so-good IEM track record are the two big reasons why.

I auditioned an Advar for about 30 min, and also thought the lower treble is quite harsh. But for a single DD, it actually has very good resolution that can rival some midFI multi driver types in technicalities. The price is a bit off-putting though, huge diminishing returns abound. But to chase that last few bits of improvement, yeah you gotta pay for those marginal gains.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #2,507 of 3,654
I think the only IEM that I remember feeling too big is Variations and IER Z1R. If Helios about the size of Monarch MK2 or MEXT which I have, then it should be OK

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #2,508 of 3,654
I auditioned an Advar for about 30 min, and also thought the lower treble is quite harsh. But for a single DD, it actually has very good resolution that can rival some midFI multi driver types in technicalities. The price is a bit off-putting though, huge diminishing returns abound. But to chase that last few bits of improvement, yeah you gotta pay for those marginal gains.

Advar is very tip sensitive. I don't know why Meze thinks Final Type E is a good idea, given its tendency to introduce treble peaks. But what do I know, Meze makes money with IEMs, I lose money buying IEMs.

Price-wise, I personally think at around AUD $1100 is reasonable if you look for that kind of sound signature and technical performance. Some other (new, onshore) options in Australia:
  • FH9 (same price)
  • FD7 (a bit cheaper)
  • SA6 (a bit cheaper)
  • EST112 (a bit cheaper)
If you want that kind of 3D soundstage presentation, then both Dunus are out of the picture. Between FD7 and FH9, it's down to preference. I find FH9 is the closest to Advar. Funny enough, they are the same price.

However, some members educated me recently about some less-than-favourable practices related to some other Meze IEMs, so it's reasonable that people do not want to touch anything from them. Given the level of engagement I receive from my Meze reviews (nonexistent for a brand new product), I don't think this IEM fares well beyond its fanbase. Still, I found these Advar to be quite good and reasonably priced.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #2,509 of 3,654
"Watch" (top-right button) the thread for updates!

Who am I, and why should you read my reviews?
I'm a recent college graduate based out of the USA. I write and film reviews for Headphones.com part-time, mainly specializing in IEMs, but I've been slowly branching out into headphone content too. I've been fortunate to get my ears on a lot of gear - something that isn't too common in the West. For this reason, even though I've only been in the hobby for a couple years, I feel I've had good exposure to what's available on the market from top-to-bottom and, perhaps more importantly, I have the ability to articulate what I'm hearing. I've garnered a reputation for putting out some of the most critical, subjective audio reviews on the internet, so I encourage you to read my thoughts if you're looking for a less conventional perspective. After all, there's no such thing as an "unbiased" review!

Rants & "Philosophy"

"CTRL-F" to search for a specific model.

Directory of Reviews
"Official" reviews of the IEMs that I've heard, published on Headphones.com and other sites.
Directory of Impressions
Preliminary impressions of the IEMs that I've heard, usually with anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple hours of listening.
Hello sir. I wonder if your iem ranking list is updated? I mean if you reviewed 1 iem 4-5 years ago with 6.5 score, will it be updated/ revised comparing to newer iem? For example, you really like Sennheiser IE900 but the rank is lower than Sony IER-M9. Am I making sense?

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #2,510 of 3,654
Hello sir. I wonder if your iem ranking list is updated? I mean if you reviewed 1 iem 4-5 years ago with 6.5 score, will it be updated/ revised comparing to newer iem? For example, you really like Sennheiser IE900 but the rank is lower than Sony IER-M9. Am I making sense?

I think I understand what you're asking, and the answer is no, I don't constantly update my ranking list as I hear new IEMs. It would be a logistic nightmare; realistically, there's no way for me to remember what I heard on my last listen of other IEMs for comparison. I do update individual IEMs occasionally when I get a re-listen in, though, and I think the list is fairly representative of my thoughts (bearing in mind all the usual limitations of a ranking list) even if there are some re-works in order that I haven't gotten around to. To that end, I own a good number of "benchmark" IEMs at varying price points that are usually used for comparison in A/B.

I actually have a Reddit post from a while back about my references that I don't think I posted about here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ok_at_my_usual_reference_iems_when_reviewing/

benchmarks.jpg

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #2,511 of 3,654
I think I understand what you're asking, and the answer is no, I don't constantly update my ranking list as I hear new IEMs. It would be a logistic nightmare; realistically, there's no way for me to remember what I heard on my last listen of other IEMs for comparison. I do update individual IEMs occasionally when I get a re-listen in, though, and I think the list is fairly representative of my thoughts (bearing in mind all the usual limitations of a ranking list) even if there are some re-works in order that I haven't gotten around to. To that end, I own a good number of "benchmark" IEMs at varying price points that are usually used for comparison in A/B.

I actually have a Reddit post from a while back about my references that I don't think I posted about here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ok_at_my_usual_reference_iems_when_reviewing/

benchmarks.jpg
Seeing the CCA CRA next to the big boys is something, it's truly a unicorn.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #2,512 of 3,654
Hope its ok to ask here, flicked through the entire thread it as super interesting.

Recently I switched to IEMs over headphones, I had an issue with my jaw and on off its come back and headphones always make it more painful. Also not really comfortable sitting in headphones in pain. So I tried a few IEMs and I have really enjoyed it, I was planning around this time to get a higher end set of headphones (HD800s), but now I want to go about the kilobuck range with an IEM. So just wondering if you guys could give me some advice?

My use case is mostly gaming, I used to comp FPS but now I mostly just play ranked in Apex on so on, I have found large soundstage isn't a big deal to me, but tuning where I hear sounds and imaging direction is important, I also play some MMO and single player, so again not looking for open back headphone levels of soundstage even if I could. I do listen to music with them mostly metal, watch movies/wrestling/youtube etc also. I have always thought I like warm sound, but honestly I am clueless.

My previous headphones, Sennheiser 363D, DT1990 (loved the detail), Tygr 300r (probably favourite), Harmonicdyne Zeus (great imaging), Beyer 900 pro x (not bad, clamp force made me send them back). And IEMs, Starfields (got me through a really bad jaw period, liked them), Isine10 (gift from a friend) and Fiio FD5 (current and favourite, but I am aware of their flaws)

The ones I have looked at, and UK availability is a pain for others like Sony, Andromeda 2020, Symphonium Helios, Mest MK2 and Monarch MK2. I have pretty much cut the last 2 out, and this thread made me add the Helios. Just wondering if I am missing anything? I know they don't compare to open backs, but I can't go back to headphones, they will aggrevate my jaw. And honestly, I have really grown to love how comfortable IEMs are to me.
So after some more digging and a friendly DM, I think I will go for Andromeda 2020. But I was wondering if anyone could explain its bass to me compared to anything I have used in quote. Also, would they pair ok with a Magni 3+?

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #2,513 of 3,654
So after some more digging and a friendly DM, I think I will go for Andromeda 2020. But I was wondering if anyone could explain its bass to me compared to anything I have used in quote. Also, would they pair ok with a Magni 3+?
There’s one for sale on Classified but PM has already been sent to the seller. They do show up there now and then if you miss this one: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/campfire-audio-andromeda-2020.29648/

One extra piece of info that I was told when I first joined the forum: The general expectation is that you will not offer to make major purchases from Classifieds until you have been participating on the forum for a little while – – I was recommended after about 100 posts. There is no hard and fast rule, though, it never hurts to reach out. But welcome to the forum anyway this is a good place to start! And the Andro 2020 may be available new online for a good deal less than MSRP especially at Black Friday (if you can wait that long).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #2,515 of 3,654
Advar is very tip sensitive. I don't know why Meze thinks Final Type E is a good idea, given its tendency to introduce treble peaks. But what do I know, Meze makes money with IEMs, I lose money buying IEMs.

Price-wise, I personally think at around AUD $1100 is reasonable if you look for that kind of sound signature and technical performance. Some other (new, onshore) options in Australia:
  • FH9 (same price)
  • FD7 (a bit cheaper)
  • SA6 (a bit cheaper)
  • EST112 (a bit cheaper)
If you want that kind of 3D soundstage presentation, then both Dunus are out of the picture. Between FD7 and FH9, it's down to preference. I find FH9 is the closest to Advar. Funny enough, they are the same price.

However, some members educated me recently about some less-than-favourable practices related to some other Meze IEMs, so it's reasonable that people do not want to touch anything from them. Given the level of engagement I receive from my Meze reviews (nonexistent for a brand new product), I don't think this IEM fares well beyond its fanbase. Still, I found these Advar to be quite good and reasonably priced.

Personally, I've found the Fh9 just awesome.

Not related to price tag, or technological choices.

Just awesome : everything (the product itself, the package, the default cable, the sound(s)*...). 😎👍

A steal.

* 3 accoustic filters.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #2,516 of 3,654
Personally, I've found the Fh9 just awesome.

Not related to price tag, or technological choices.

Just awesome : everything (the product itself, the package, the default cable, the sound(s)*...). 😎👍

A steal.

* 3 accoustic filters.

I think I have seen your review or impression of FH9. Totally agree. I had great experience with the green filter (treble). It sounds better than it graphs to me. There is not much that I want to change about it.

However, to me, FH9 exists in the limbo of “more resolving than Blessing 2 but not quite Andromeda.” Of course, dynamic and bass impact of FH9 is better than Andro, but I have to ask myself: is it worth it, or just save up for a U12t (shocking price for the little last bits of performance). The Andro does not give me everything that I want, but it makes buying new IEM super hard :))

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #2,517 of 3,654
I think I have seen your review or impression of FH9. Totally agree. I had great experience with the green filter (treble). It sounds better than it graphs to me. There is not much that I want to change about it.

However, to me, FH9 exists in the limbo of “more resolving than Blessing 2 but not quite Andromeda.” Of course, dynamic and bass impact of FH9 is better than Andro, but I have to ask myself: is it worth it, or just save up for a U12t (shocking price for the little last bits of performance). The Andro does not give me everything that I want, but it makes buying new IEM super hard :))
I haven't write a review. Just one or two messages to say all the good I think about these FH9. :beerchug:

I am used to high-end products, and really, I was impressed. Really.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #2,518 of 3,654
I haven't write a review. Just one or two messages to say all the good I think about these FH9. :beerchug:

I am used to high-end products, and really, I was impressed. Really.
At the time I loved the FH7, although since then I have tried other IEMs that have seemed much better.
But the pleasant memory draws me to the FH9. Have you tried any of my signature? My favorite for quite some time is the Isabellae.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,519 of 3,654
At the time I loved the FH7, although since then I have tried other IEMs that have seemed much better.
But the pleasant memory draws me to the FH9. Have you tried any of my signature? My favorite for quite some time is the Isabellae.

You rank S12 higher than U12t (in your signature)? That’s a high praise.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #2,520 of 3,654
None of your current gear.

The Mest = intrigued. interested. :k701smile:

And from your list :

6) 64audio U12t = I don't like it very much. I think it's "OK"...
15) Campfire Audio Solaris = love it. Very fun.
16) Dunu DK2001 = the same, love it. It's good.
17) Campfire Audio Andromeda = Really good too. The All rounder. Nothing really great thus (except the lateral staging), but very good indeed. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back