Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Apr 23, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #2,146 of 3,654
Just noticed that 5.5 detail rating on the Mangird Tea 2 but I don't see a .5 rating on almost anything else except the Sennheiser IE600 which was given a 6.5 on detail.

It's confusing to see the Kato get a 5 on detail when literally everyone agrees it's a marginal improvement over the Moondrop harman trio on sheer detail retrieval.

I think X.5 should be used when something lands somewhere in the middle, even though I'm well aware that you really can't rate technicalities and tuning is usually a subjective thing.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #2,147 of 3,654
Updated my setup and finally cleaned my desk up a bit today! Such a nice feeling.

IMG_2310.JPG

I know there's been a small lull in content, so let's quickly address that too:
  • Currently working on a write-up and video that covers the entire trip to Singapore. This should be done by early next week.
  • Planning to hang out with MRS this weekend and hear the new Raptgo Hook and some other stuff.
  • After this, I'm planning on reviewing the Symphonium Triton and DCA Aeon 2 Noire. Other IEMs farther out hopefully include the Sennheiser IE600, Elysian Diva, and ThieAudio's upcoming single-DD.
  • In case you missed it, here's a quick video review I did on the new Moondrop Chu:

If all goes well, I'll also be starting a full-time internship at the beginning of May so, again, expect some more minor reductions in content output.

Hi, yes, it's almost always with the stock cable. I think I hear small differences between cables sometimes, but I can't attest to them confidently.

I like One Piece too btw :D

Do you find those 8010A lacking in bass? Or do you think they need a Sub? I've been eyeing them for awhile.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #2,148 of 3,654
Do you find those 8010A lacking in bass? Or do you think they need a Sub? I've been eyeing them for awhile.
Theo actually has the G2 which is pretty much the 8020. And he did get a sub not too long ago to pair with it.

Apr 23, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #2,149 of 3,654

Yup, it's basically the 8020 like Matz said. They only go down to around 70Hz or so, which doesn't cut it if you're someone who likes bass. Even with the sub I currently have, it still rolls-off under roughly 40Hz which kind of sucks. I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers in the future, I just can't justify it right now. It gets really expensive if you want a sub that goes under 30Hz. You also have to ask yourself if the music that you're listening to even has content that low, and most of my music doesn't.

Something else to consider with the G2/8020 is that it's not quite completely flat. I've noticed it has a slight bump at 3kHz which can be a hair fatiguing if you're listening louder. I am happy with them, though, because I only paid ~$750 for my set.

Also @WAON303 thanks for point that out, I'll look into it. There's definitely inconsistencies on the ranking list that I just haven't had time to iron out.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #2,150 of 3,654
Just want to ventilate my hype for the Hook X. Precog, make sure to experiment with wide and narrow tips to remove midrange grain/improve perceived resolution.

Also, if you find it to muted still, you can remove the nozzle filter for added upper mids & lower treble energy.

Burn-in reported to be a strong factor too, couldn't hurt to give it 100 hours before assessing.

Stoked to hear your take on it.🙏

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,151 of 3,654
Meetup Notes 4/24/22

Had a little meet-up today with Juan (Auribus Acoustics), Chitoh (my friend), and MRS. I didn't get around to actually hearing much today, but here's @MRSallee listening to some very interesting headphones. Basically, I'm pretty sure he's holding just the barebones drivers to his ears lol. One of Juan's experimental abominations :D

IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG

Here's my quick thoughts on the Ratpgo Hook X. I'm not going to do a big write up, as I suspect all three new planar IEMs on the market - the 7Hz Timeless, Shuoer S12, and now the Hook X - are using a variation of the same driver. Generally, I'd say the Hook X is the smoothest sounding of the three while maintaining the same flavor of mild V-shape. Compared to the 7Hz Timeless, the Hook X slightly dials back the aggressive pinna compensation and mid-treble at 8kHz, meaning it probably has the most favorable tonality of the three IEMs. The technical performance of the Hook X is roughly the same overall as the other two IEMs too. It has less clarity due to its more relaxed tonality; however, to me, it seems like it's not as closed in and narrow for staging. Maybe that other driver it's packing is actually doing something, who knows. Not much else has to be said about the Hook X. It's a good IEM in my book; scores have been updated on the ranking list to include it. All critical listening was done with the stock tips, stock cable, and the 4.4mm jack of my DX300.

Also spent some more time with the Sennheiser IE600 today. Like the IE900, it is very tip sensitive for me. It needs a deep insertion with the awful stock tips in order to get its optimal sound. Without this, the resonance peak at ~8kHz tends to sound quite distinct and sharp. I really wish I could A/B it with the IE900, but I'm pretty confident - from memory - that the IE900 was more technical. The IE600 has pretty good bass (and a lot of it), but the IE900's was on another level. Same thing with the treble; the IE600's treble transients seem more dull to me. Both have average staging. Still a very solid IEM, though. Most of my other time was spent re-visiting stuff like the Monarch MKII, Moondrop S8, IER-Z1R, etc. Thoughts haven't really changed on any of them. However, we did discover that the protective sleeves that you can buy for the Z1R off Aliexpress suck. They block off one of the IER-Z1R's tiny ports and screw up the bass response.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #2,152 of 3,654
No Piezo zing on the Hook-X? I think people forget the Hook-X is an interesting Planar hybrid that has a piezo driver.

I think the wider soundstage is because the Hook-X is an open back IEM (Not sure if Piezo drivers makes stuff sound wider.)

Cheers to MRS, one of the best IEM reviewers IMO and I think is the only audio gear reviewer that does live reviews.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #2,153 of 3,654
No Piezo zing on the Hook-X? I think people forget the Hook-X is an interesting Planar hybrid that has a piezo driver.

I think the wider soundstage is because the Hook-X is an open back IEM (Not sure if Piezo IEMs makes stuff sound wider.)

Cheers to MRS, one of the best IEM reviewers IMO and I think is the only audio gear reviewer that does live reviews.
The Piezo driver in Hook X is purely bone conducting, so there shouldn't be any piezo treble zing.

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #2,154 of 3,654
The Piezo driver in Hook X is purely bone conducting, so there shouldn't be any piezo treble zing.
I completely missed the bone conduction thing, I'm actually more intrigued on what the bone conduction thing is doing on the Hook-X.

Question would be if it's worth paying an extra buck for the Hook-X when the S12 is cheaper by a noticeable Margin.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #2,155 of 3,654
Just found out DUNU released a limited edition of the Dunu Falcon Pro called Vernus (Preordered one asap, wallet took another hit.)

DUNU sent you a prototype of the FP at one point.

Could the Vernus be a retail version of said prototype? Albeit super limited production for some reason.

The Vernus graph hints this: https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/photos/a.194447407264497/7563072483735249

You know, the original FP left me scratching my head because the Reference and Transparency filters give out two variations of warm v-shape instead of actually giving you a referency tunings.

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #2,156 of 3,654
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #2,157 of 3,654
Reference

I suppose it depends on whos 'reference' they're referring to. Maybe Andy Zhao (/head engineer?).

Do we have a link to any impressions from @Precogvision on that prototype, or can you recall what you heard Precog? :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2,158 of 3,654
it could very well be a marketing gimmick

The cynical side of me feels this might be the case but the more trusting side feels it might be accurate given DUNUs track record and clear thematic commitments with different releases. The Falcon Pro' final tuning was no doubt the intended route they wanted to take with the Falcon line so maybe this is just a send-off/homage to that?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2,159 of 3,654
Here's the official pre-order link with more details:
https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/vernus-order-reservation

I'm not sure why they're doing a limited run; it could very well be a marketing gimmick.

What confuses me is that DUNU didn't use the Vernus tuning in the first place, it's a lot better than the tuning of the original.

There is a good reason why people like Crinacle and HBB don't like the original FP and why I didn't buy one despite the interesting driver tech.

Apr 25, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #2,160 of 3,654
I suppose it depends on whos 'reference' they're referring to. Maybe Andy Zhao (/head engineer?).

Do we have a link to any impressions from @Precogvision on that prototype, or can you recall what you heard Precog? :)

He briefly mentioned the FP protoype here:

https://www.headphones.com/community/reviews-learning-and-news/dunu-falcon-pro-review

After I had assessed the Falcon Pro, DUNU kindly sent me an experimental version of the Falcon Pro with less bass and a more upper-midrange oriented tuning. This version of the Falcon Pro was intended to capture what a more technical interpretation of the IEM would sound like. It lowers the mid-bass to more controlled quantities and addresses some of the slight hollowness to vocals. To me at least, this version further demonstrates the effects that tuning can have on perceived clarity. The experimental version has less of the blunting to transient attack that I outlined above, enough that I would place it on par with the Moondrop Kato. I think I prefer this version, but that said, I do feel it loses some of the "special sauce" that makes the Falcon Pro the Falcon Pro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back