Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #3,646 of 3,654
You asked for it, photo dump below, admittedly crap pics so don’t hate me :wink:

53645686204_9d2f3e0ab1_c.jpg

I wonder if it still functions?, don’t think I’ve switched it on for at least 6 years.

53644474627_931baf96fc_c.jpg

Everything still in place

53645346961_3c8fe7e4ec_c.jpg

It’s all there, case with belt clip, Dock for PC, Clip on battery pack for 4AA cells,

53644526717_34a38cbb95_c.jpg

It’s alive………and still showing full battery?……how the actual ****?

53645737989_567b706816_c.jpg

I still remember how it functions

53645857780_865dc225be_c.jpg

Dock works.

53645398551_d04ee17d2e_c.jpg

This is quite a nostalgia trip

53645398576_52a276fbf9_c.jpg

Remote works and it’s far easier to control the player using this

53645857870_4aaf0e23a3_c.jpg

I plugged in the Kiwi Ears/Crinacle Singolo as I couldn’t be arsed changing from 4.4mm to 3.5mm cables on my meteor/sony xba-n3 but it sounds perfectly fine with the Singolo, I played around with the eq setting and SRS Wow enhancement options and sat and listened for an hour, what a nostalgia trip using this player, almost 20 years old and still works fine.

All the files are of Ogg Vorbis VRB mp3 at high quality so still sound great, as far as I can remember I changed the battery for a larger version and I “think” I changed the hd for a 60gb version, I’ll have to check.

Everything works as it should except for the sliding hold button on the side of the HD-340 as I remember I broke a small tab on it when I took it apart to fit the larger capacity battery, but the hold function on the remote works fine and locks the player.

I’d love to rock up at a CanJam and wander over to a megabuck iem booth and plug in a £10,000 iem and begin chair dancing :smile:

I had quite a few iriver daps at one point including the og H100’s, H120 etc all boxed and working but I sold them on eBay years ago, still got a few apple ipod players in my drawer.

I think I’ve still got the first solid state dap release by Sony back in 1998ish which was like a long pack of chewing gum with a tiny screen and a whopping 64mb of memory, one album filled it up so I was still using my Sharp MD-MS722 mini-disc player most of the time.

How time flies and thank **** technology moves on
I see you have an XBA-N3 and Meteor. Could you compare them?

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #3,647 of 3,654
With the iriver?

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #3,649 of 3,654
When I first started wearing IEMs, I could only wear most of them for a couple hours at most. Now I can wear most average sized IEMs for 8+ hours, so any extra comfort I get from my CIEMs is pretty much negligible. But it makes sense that for listeners with smaller ears, the CIEM route could prove the better option.

I don't really recommend the Anole V14, I think its predecessor the VX is better (this shows in their measurements, as the VX measures with more treble extension).

It seems like you listen to metal/rock, so I'm guessing you'd prefer the Crimson and 12t more based on 1) those IEMs have more polite upper-midranges (or more bass to balance it in the case of the Crimson) and 2) dipped mid-treble (for the U12t) and more upper-treble to combat roll-off in those genres of music.

IMO the VX's best setting is the default setting, the vocal setting just pushes up the 1kHz region and lowers the bass a bit. It's going to sound pretty weird/artificial to most listeners. The Viento has a much more conventional pinna notch at 3kHz and a good amount of forwardness there, so it'll sound more natural. If you buy the Viento, especially in the A configuration, you'd probably want the CIEM unless you can deep fit the universal model to smooth out the 8kHz peak.
Thanks you

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #3,650 of 3,654
Just N3 vs the Meteor in general :D Or each with their best compatible source :D
The xba has a more visceral "thump" in the sub bass, you can feel it in your jaw which is prob due to the dynamic driver, highs are nice, not shouty at 3-6khz - an iem you could listen all day with, the meteor has good bass but it doesn't seem to hit as hard as the sony, the meteor has better treble extension, it seems to extract more out of the music in those regions without ever being shrill/too much to listen too.

Both very similar, both very good for my choice of techno/electronic music using dunu s&S and divinus velvet tips.

If I had to pick one to live with as my only iem for life, based on cost vs sound quality, it'd be the sony - it's criminal they discontinued this model and it didn't get the love it deserves, if it broke or I lost it I'd happily pay £250 to replace it.

Although the meteor is more practical in use as due to over the ear cable and fit - its less likely to get pulled out, caught up on clothing and would likely survive a nuclear strike.

PS - I'm not a reviewer, no interest in flowery descriptive monologues, if it can't be summed up in a sentence then don't say it.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #3,651 of 3,654
IMO the VX's best setting is the default setting, the vocal setting just pushes up the 1kHz region and lowers the bass a bit. It's going to sound pretty weird/artificial to most listeners. The Viento has a much more conventional pinna notch at 3kHz and a good amount of forwardness there, so it'll sound more natural. If you buy the Viento, especially in the A configuration, you'd probably want the CIEM unless you can deep fit the universal model to smooth out the 8kHz peak.
Hi there, @Precogvision . Which is brighter and has a stronger upper midrange, Hidition Viento (brightest setting) or QDC Anole VX (Clear vocals setting)?

I will not be doing customs for now, as i would prefer universal fitting. Would you say the QDC Anole VX is bright? I would prefer an aggressive treble.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #3,652 of 3,654
The xba has a more visceral "thump" in the sub bass, you can feel it in your jaw which is prob due to the dynamic driver, highs are nice, not shouty at 3-6khz - an iem you could listen all day with, the meteor has good bass but it doesn't seem to hit as hard as the sony, the meteor has better treble extension, it seems to extract more out of the music in those regions without ever being shrill/too much to listen too.

Both very similar, both very good for my choice of techno/electronic music using dunu s&S and divinus velvet tips.

If I had to pick one to live with as my only iem for life, based on cost vs sound quality, it'd be the sony - it's criminal they discontinued this model and it didn't get the love it deserves, if it broke or I lost it I'd happily pay £250 to replace it.

Although the meteor is more practical in use as due to over the ear cable and fit - its less likely to get pulled out, caught up on clothing and would likely survive a nuclear strike.

PS - I'm not a reviewer, no interest in flowery descriptive monologues, if it can't be summed up in a sentence then don't say it.
Vintage rocks

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #3,653 of 3,654
How bad would it wreck the iem' industry if these cheap Chinese iems became the equals to these 5-6k monsters. Its the reason I can't believe any of these marketing "reviews" they'd have you believe there are 10,000 stages of sound quality. This 130 iem' best the 120.00 the 600.00 blows aways the 450.00 the industry is supported by the wallets us gullible audiofools, but it sure is fun!

I don't buy it though personally, just my opinion of course, and this looked like a good place to say it.

I know for a fact there isn't a scasm between budget sets and mega bucks because I've compared them

I listen to Susvara and my Ca1a everyday so I know what totl sounds like and these mega bucks sets are a mental game .. again imo.. no way you can say these 400-500 sets using same quality drivers same dual chamber cross over tech are somehow inferior..

There are specific tunings making us believe there is a large quality difference imo.. iems like the 14.00 Castor spit all over my Jh Lola, it took me awhile to admit that because I didn't want to accept it 😆

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #3,654 of 3,654
How bad would it wreck the iem' industry if these cheap Chinese iems became the equals to these 5-6k monsters. Its the reason I can't believe any of these marketing "reviews" they'd have you believe there are 10,000 stages of sound quality. This 130 iem' best the 120.00 the 600.00 blows aways the 450.00 the industry is supported by the wallets us gullible audiofools, but it sure is fun!

I don't buy it though personally, just my opinion of course, and this looked like a good place to say it.

I know for a fact there isn't a scasm between budget sets and mega bucks because I've compared them

I listen to Susvara and my Ca1a everyday so I know what totl sounds like and these mega bucks sets are a mental game .. again imo.. no way you can say these 400-500 sets using same quality drivers same dual chamber cross over tech are somehow inferior..

There are specific tunings making us believe there is a large quality difference imo.. iems like the 14.00 Castor spit all over my Jh Lola, it took me awhile to admit that because I didn't want to accept it 😆
There is definitely a premium placed on some IEM’s - I agree with you there. But it doesn’t take anywhere near the same amount of time (and time is money) to reverse engineer someone else’s work and then sell it at a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back