Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Apr 14, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #2,131 of 3,654
I think Moondrop should focus on making a Blessing 3 or a revised S8 instead of making more single DD budget sets, I'm also tired of seeing single DD sets with a variation of harman, it's been done like a million times by now.

As for the Chu, the fact this comes with Spring tips makes it an arguably better value proposition than the CRA which doesn't even come with a case as is tradition with CCA IEMs.

The Chu strongly reminds me of the rather obscure Final Audio E500, in the sense that most people buy this set for the tips (Which are more expensive if you buy them separately.)

Also, rip Quarks. I see literally no reason to buy this set when the Chu completely blows it out of the water.

Agree with all the points. I was expecting Moondrop to use their fancy new driver in Kato to build something new. Blessing 2 really needs a better DD.

Btw, @Precogvision do you think most Moondrop IEM lacks dynamic somehow? It’s like they don’t go that loud and not drop to dead silence. I can boost bass, but they don’t do that drop well. Am I too nitpicky?

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #2,132 of 3,654
Agree with all the points. I was expecting Moondrop to use their fancy new driver in Kato to build something new. Blessing 2 really needs a better DD.

Btw, @Precogvision do you think most Moondrop IEM lacks dynamic somehow? It’s like they don’t go that loud and not drop to dead silence. I can boost bass, but they don’t do that drop well. Am I too nitpicky?

I think it depends on which models we're talking about. The single-DDs like the Aria and Illumination sound pretty dampened to me, possibly a by-product of trying to hit a desired frequency response. Just speculation. The Solis also sounded very flat, the S8 to a lesser degree. However, I think the Blessing 2 / Dusk and especially the Variations are pretty competent performers for dynamics - at least for their price points.

Hey, Precog! Could you review Sony IER-M7?

I've been asked a few times to review this one which is surprising because it's been out for a few years now haha. I guess I wouldn't mind writing some thoughts on it, but someone would have to loan me a unit.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #2,133 of 3,654
Was looking at Precogs rank list and saw an unreleased IEM called the Fatfreq Maestro Mini Precog presumably demo'd during this year's Canjam (An IEM brand I'm not familiar with bu,t have seen on Crinacle's ranking list pop up a few times.)

HOLY MOLY, this thing has an INSANE sub bass shelf! Literally have never seen an IEM with this much sub bass before. It's basically the Variations meaty sub bass shelf on crack.

I thought Precog meant this thing had a Variations like bass shelf judging by the comment Precog left on this IEM.

Boy was I wrong!

Wonder why no chi-fi company has tried a tuning like this before Moondrop? You can boost the sub bass out the wazoo without ruining the mids, presumably because most tracks don't have a ton of sub bass, or any to speak of (Don't quote me on this, I'm light years away from being an expert on this subject.)

I know bass bleed is a product of boosting the lower mids too much.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,134 of 3,654
Was looking at Precogs rank list and saw an unreleased IEM called the Fatfreq Maestro Mini Precog presumably demo'd during this year's Canjam (An IEM brand I'm not familiar with bu,t have seen on Crinacle's ranking list pop up a few times.)

HOLY MOLY, this thing has an INSANE sub bass shelf! Literally have never seen an IEM with this much sub bass before. It's basically the Variations meaty sub bass shelf on crack.

I thought Precog meant this thing had a Variations like bass shelf judging by the comment Precog left on this IEM.

Boy was I wrong!

Wonder why no chi-fi company has tried a tuning like this before Moondrop? You can boost the sub bass out the wazoo without ruining the mids, presumably because most tracks don't have a ton of sub bass, or any to speak of (Don't quote me on this, I'm light years away from being an expert on this subject.)

I know bass bleed is a product of boosting the lower mids too much.
yep, FATfreq is a Singaporean company that does reshells and have their own line of IEMs. They started out with their musician and reference IEM series, which isn't much to write home about. I recently dropped by to collect my UERM, and tried out some of their newer IEMs; namely the Maestro SE (i can't remember what it's called), Sakura, and the Hayabusa.

Pardon the bad review/impression writeup here...

Maestro SE?: Amazing subbass, while retaining detail verywhere else. Kinda like a Variations, but slightly more controlled, and more bite. I'm not really one for extreme bass, but this was addicting; better than the Andros. However, i felt that the vocals sat too far back, and stopped listening to them. Midrange still is detailed, just not as forward as i would like.

Sakura: to be very honest, this wasn't that spectacular, so i can't remember what it sounded like.

Hayabusa: Reminiscent of the Monarch Mk2, with a very energetic sound that is detailed. Nothing much to nitpick, other than the price? IIRC, it was around 1300+ SGD, which is around 960 USD. But, with the help of ethanmusic7, i would be able to get the Monarch Mk2 for that price (1350 SGD).

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #2,136 of 3,654
@Precogvision have you tried Sony XBA-N3 :)? I love your reviews & opinions, so would like to have yours on those IEMs as well :)

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,137 of 3,654
@Precogvision have you tried Sony XBA-N3 :)? I love your reviews & opinions, so would like to have yours on those IEMs as well :)

Sorry, I haven't! Pretty much everything I've heard is on the ranking list, I keep it updated if only to keep track of what I've listened to haha

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #2,139 of 3,654
Updated my setup and finally cleaned my desk up a bit today! Such a nice feeling.

IMG_2310.JPG

I know there's been a small lull in content, so let's quickly address that too:
  • Currently working on a write-up and video that covers the entire trip to Singapore. This should be done by early next week.
  • Planning to hang out with MRS this weekend and hear the new Raptgo Hook and some other stuff.
  • After this, I'm planning on reviewing the Symphonium Triton and DCA Aeon 2 Noire. Other IEMs farther out hopefully include the Sennheiser IE600, Elysian Diva, and ThieAudio's upcoming single-DD.
  • In case you missed it, here's a quick video review I did on the new Moondrop Chu:

If all goes well, I'll also be starting a full-time internship at the beginning of May so, again, expect some more minor reductions in content output.

Thanks for your list and reviews! Do you always review with stock cables? I've never heard anything with cable swaps but the Timeless cable seems to be a case where it affects the IEM to my ears.

Hi, yes, it's almost always with the stock cable. I think I hear small differences between cables sometimes, but I can't attest to them confidently.

I like One Piece too btw :D

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #2,141 of 3,654
Updated my setup and finally cleaned my desk up a bit today! Such a nice feeling.
Love the clean look, and the Genelecs are really compact it seems. I think it's finally time to upgrade my Edifier Exclaim BT (which is showing its age after 3+ years now).

Couldn't help but notice you've moved to Windows 11. How do you like it? I'm having a love-hate relationship with it for now haha. Great for gaming but I think some of the cool stuff in Windows 10 are still missing and the taskbar is kinda basic.

Also, can't but help sharing my desk photo too, cleaned it up last weekend after all. :D

IMG_8734.jpg

I like One Piece too btw
Same here. Current arc is soooo good!

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #2,142 of 3,654

If all goes well, I'll also be starting a full-time internship at the beginning of May so, again, expect some more minor reductions in content output.

Hi, yes, it's almost always with the stock cable. I think I hear small differences between cables sometimes, but I can't attest to them confidently.

I like One Piece too btw :D
I knew you were a man of culture (seems like a bunch of others too)! I think maybe 2 or 3 people have caught the reference haha. Current arc has had some amazing animation (that black and white scabbards charge scene!).
The cable swap was a last ditch effort to avoid returning the set for it's pretty limp bass. Maybe it's a placebo but it did the trick.

Also, that setup is super clean and good luck with the internship!

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #2,143 of 3,654
@Precogvision

I hope all goes well with the internship! Even if it means we won't see as much from you.

Are you all caught up on One Piece?

Thank you!

Sort of haha. I recall starting to read it in around 2010 (during the Impel Down arc) and I've read the first few volumes. But I just haven't gotten around to reading that gap in-between. If it were any other manga it probably wouldn't be a big deal...but it's One Piece, so it's a few hundred chapters lmao. I am caught up with the current chapters at least. This arc has been really solid, super hype seeing the Joy Boy thing and Gear 5.

Generally, the trajectory of One Piece and the world building has been pretty incredible. I think Oda's said that it's like 75% complete? But that's still years left to go. It's even more impressive how consistent the quality has been. I remember reading Bleach back in the day, for example, and dropping it after the Aizen arc because it became clear that it was just getting dragged on for the sake of being dragged on.

Love the clean look, and the Genelecs are really compact it seems. I think it's finally time to upgrade my Edifier Exclaim BT (which is showing its age after 3+ years now).

Couldn't help but notice you've moved to Windows 11. How do you like it? I'm having a love-hate relationship with it for now haha. Great for gaming but I think some of the cool stuff in Windows 10 are still missing and the taskbar is kinda basic.

Also, can't but help sharing my desk photo too, cleaned it up last weekend after all. :D

Same here. Current arc is soooo good!

Looking good! Re Windows 11, I have to admit that I have not used Windows since all the way back in 2014 (I think my laptop was on Windows 7 at the time). So yeah, I'm still figuring things out haha.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #2,144 of 3,654
Thank you!

Sort of haha. I recall starting to read it in around 2010 (during the Impel Down arc) and I've read the first few volumes. But I just haven't gotten around to reading that gap in-between. If it were any other manga it probably wouldn't be a big deal...but it's One Piece, so it's a few hundred chapters lmao. I am caught up with the current chapters at least. This arc has been really solid, super hype seeing the Joy Boy thing and Gear 5.

Generally, the trajectory of One Piece and the world building has been pretty incredible. I think Oda's said that it's like 75% complete? But that's still years left to go. It's even more impressive how consistent the quality has been. I remember reading Bleach back in the day, for example, and dropping it after the Aizen arc because it became clear that it was just getting dragged on for the sake of being dragged on.

Yeah. It's ridiculously long. I definitely recommend reading the gap, though! Those are some of the best arcs you're missing out on.

Definitely easier said than done, though. I've been reading One Piece for nearly 18 years, so it's been a slow and steady ride and I've done several read throughs at this point. It's one of those things where I like to put on some music, read One Piece, and just go into zen mode.

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #2,145 of 3,654
It warms my heart to see there are so many READERS of One Piece here. In my country most of the otakus are anime watcher, and very very few likes to read Manga over the Anime. I know only one other close friend of mine who is as avid a fan of manga as me. One Piece has been a delightful journey so far, and I am hyped to ride to the end of it.

Although, Animes have their charm. The greatest anime that I have watched till date is Cowboy Bebop. The magnificent elegance it has cannot be reproduced without its signature BGM, and I still harbour the fond memories of the series. That is one anime worth to watch a 100 times more.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back