Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #2,401 of 3,654
You can use the qudelix and sell your DAP. Sure you make money with the change :smile:
That would be a good idea. But then I wouldn’t have a good reason (other than my bank account) not to consider buying a much more expensive DAP. Sure, I wouldn’t need it. But I doubt that would stop me. Only thing stopping me now is the M11 doesn’t have any short comings I care about (other than no system wide EQ).

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #2,402 of 3,654
I had the coolest interaction today. I was at the gym when someone approached me and asked, "Hey, are you Precog?!". They told me they thought I looked familiar and basically confirmed it was me when they saw the 64A shirt I happened to be wearing. I think this is actually the first time I've ran into a reader/viewer outside of an industry show. It's such a niche within a niche, so I was super surprised!

Anyways - I don't know if you read my Head-Fi thread, but it was great meeting you Austin! It made my day haha :D

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,403 of 3,654
Moondrop Aria Snow Impressions

Configuration: 1DD
Price: $80
Unit kindly provided for review by Shenzhen Audio:
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-aria-snow-edition-high-performance-diamond-like-lcp-diaphragm-dynamic-driver-iems-in-ear-earphone

40C57517-C93A-4144-8CD5-E286D0453F90.jpeg

graph (6).png

I must admit that I was highly tempted to copy-and-paste one of my old Moondrop single-DD reviews with the name crossed out as the Aria Snow's as a joke. Moondrop makes the same IEM for the seventh or eighth time (I've lost count) with some minor tuning changes. Case closed, right? And to a certain degree, I think I could get away with doing it because it's mostly true.

Except the distinction was that those IEMs, chronologically of release, were all of the same level or a small step in the right direction (via a price cut in some instances), whereas I find the Aria Snow to be a regression. Let me just say that Moondrop's single-DDs have never had good dynamics. But dang, the Aria Snow sounds flat in a bad way; somewhere between the DD being used in the much cheaper Chu, and from memory, its age-old predecessor, the Kanas Pro. Why drop the bass quantity when it already barely slams? The Aria Snow also noticeably drops the 12kHz peak that lent that slight upper-treble shimmer to the Aria/KXXS/Starfield. Whether that's for the better or for the worse, that's more subjective as some might have found it pesky, but removing it seemingly kills some of the Aria Snow's note texturing and its general sense of depth and engagement.

Make no mistake: the Aria Snow is still a decent IEM within the grand scheme of things. Consistent with Moondrop's verbiage and its frequency response, it is indeed a more "transparent" sounding IEM. But I have to ask myself: Is this a good rendition of a more transparent, more analytical sound? Unfortunately, I find that much more debatable.

Score: 4.5/10

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,404 of 3,654
@Precogvision You are probably fully aware of this, but there are some weird issues with sorting on your ranking list, for example Sennheiser IE600 with 6.65 rank is listed among 7-rated sets and UM MEXT is between 6.2 sets even though it received 6 overall.

By the way, are you going to review the 7Hz x Crinacle Dioko?

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #2,405 of 3,654
@Precogvision You are probably fully aware of this, but there are some weird issues with sorting on your ranking list, for example Sennheiser IE600 with 6.65 rank is listed among 7-rated sets and UM MEXT is between 6.2 sets even though it received 6 overall.

By the way, are you going to review the 7Hz x Crinacle Dioko?

Hey, yes, sometimes I adjust the scores if I get a re-listen in, but I forget to re-sort the list - it's a quick fix!

Your next question is probably a good segue into an update of what else is on my plate haha. I do have the Dioko on the way. Questyle M15 is also on the way to complete a dongle shootout with the M12, Go Bar, and some others. DX320 plus the new Amp 13 is also here. Also bought the XBA-N3 I wrote about a while back, so that might get a review but I don't think it'll be much different from my impressions. The A3t review is finished and awaiting publication.

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #2,406 of 3,654
Dioko is gonna be a pretty interesting review, the retune might fix the issues Precog had with the Timeless.

Tempted to get one given the cheap price, but I'll wait for reviews to drop.

That ranking list definitely needs a number of adjustments, IE: Dusk got a 6.5/10 overall but the tonal + tech score average is around 6.3.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #2,407 of 3,654
Moondrop Aria Snow Impressions

Make no mistake: the Aria Snow is still a decent IEM within the grand scheme of things. Consistent with Moondrop's verbiage and its frequency response, it is indeed a more "transparent" sounding IEM. But I have to ask myself: Is this a good rendition of a more transparent, more analytical sound? Unfortunately, I find that much more debatable.

Score: 4.5/10

I was so close to grabbing this one for review, but decided not to at the last minute because it still costs money (which I can put into IEMs I actually like), I generally dislike Moondrop tuning, and I know you would be able to get a review out way before a unit reach my place. Seems like a good choice not to jump on this hype train. Still, the review was brutal mate :beyersmile:

I just receive an email from 64 Audio about B-stock Duo for 25% off. Do you think Duo's open design, big bass, and TIA treble can some what compensate for its lack of resolution against Andromeda?

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #2,408 of 3,654
Dioko is gonna be a pretty interesting review, the retune might fix the issues Precog had with the Timeless.

That ranking list definitely needs a number of adjustments, IE: Dusk got a 6.5/10 overall but the tonal + tech score average is around 6.3.
Released today on Linsoul. Unsure if stock is ready to go however.

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #2,409 of 3,654
Hi Precog,

I noticed that you have the Yu9 U556 on your ranking list and squig.link. Could you give some more impressions of it? It looks like a potentially very interesting earphone that I have been considering picking up but now I'm second guessing judging by how it scored on your ranking list.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #2,410 of 3,654

Yes, it will be interesting to see how it stacks up.

I'll be honest, keeping track of the ranking list is a nightmare and I don't even put much emphasis on my own these days. The Dusk is where it is because of the weighting applied to the bias score (for which I gave it a 7).

I was so close to grabbing this one for review, but decided not to at the last minute because it still costs money (which I can put into IEMs I actually like), I generally dislike Moondrop tuning, and I know you would be able to get a review out way before a unit reach my place. Seems like a good choice not to jump on this hype train. Still, the review was brutal mate :beyersmile:

I just receive an email from 64 Audio about B-stock Duo for 25% off. Do you think Duo's open design, big bass, and TIA treble can some what compensate for its lack of resolution against Andromeda?

Hmm, I'd certainly recommend demoing it first if possible because it is a very colored IEM. I will say that I prefer the U6t, which I believe you have heard and chose to purchase the Andromeda 2020 over, to the Duo.

Hi Precog,

I noticed that you have the Yu9 U556 on your ranking list and squig.link. Could you give some more impressions of it? It looks like a potentially very interesting earphone that I have been considering picking up but now I'm second guessing judging by how it scored on your ranking list.

Sounds somewhat like the ER3XR if I recall correctly. Dark, somewhat grainy, and with decent BA bass. Nothing really offensive all-round, and certainly better than something like the Kbear Neon, but I think the price tag was higher than I was expecting it to be.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #2,411 of 3,654
Sounds somewhat like the ER3XR if I recall correctly. Dark, somewhat grainy, and with decent BA bass. Nothing really offensive all-round, and certainly better than something like the Kbear Neon, but I think the price tag was higher than I was expecting it to be.
The Pregod delivers again. Much appreciated. Probably not a worthy upgrade from the ER2XR I'm guessing then? And where did you get the chance to try it? You're like 1 of maybe 10 people who have impressions of it, let alone graphs of it.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,412 of 3,654
Single BA sets are still rare in the IEM world, what makes the EReXR better than every other single BA set? All I've heard about single BA sets is that they usually lack extension on both ends and are pretty much inferior to every other driver configuration.

Don't have any real experience with single BA IEMs, though I did briefly hear the Fiio FA1 (Bought one to give as a present.) thought it was passable.

Is their a noticeable benefit on having a single BA configuration rather than sticking more drivers?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #2,413 of 3,654
Is their a noticeable benefit on having a single BA configuration rather than sticking more drivers?
price?
Also you don't have to worry about crossovers (which also make production costs lower)

Also with single BA, you can just shove them into a tube, instead of creating a whole cavity (for a DD). I would imagine that reduces the number of factors that can affect the sound. One of which would be the back waves (though I'm not sure if that is large enough to be factored in)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #2,414 of 3,654
Single BA sets are still rare in the IEM world, what makes the EReXR better than every other single BA set? All I've heard about single BA sets is that they usually lack extension on both ends and are pretty much inferior to every other driver configuration.

Don't have any real experience with single BA IEMs, though I did briefly hear the Fiio FA1 (Bought one to give as a present.) thought it was passable.

I have a few single BA types from Westone, the KBEAR Neon, Kotori Vampire and some niche Japanese midfi single BAs.

These single BA types indeed have poor sub-bass extension/higher treble extension. It seems to be a physics limitation compared to multi BA types/hybrids, plus you add in the problems of pure BA sets - that of BA timbre and a bass that doesn't move air or decay as well as a traditional DD. So yeah, I do find single BAs to be a bit handicapped compared to other driver configs.

What benefits do they bring? Well I guess they are cheaper than a multi BA set (in general) and they do have faster bass (in general) than some DD bass types. BTW the single BAs can give quite good technicalities, a few of those niche Japanese single BAs have micro-details and imaging and layering that beats some multi drivers. It is just they are bottle-necked at the bass region. Single BAs may be also a cheap option for those doing stage monitoring/audio work, but I find that for listening to music, the single BAs are gonna be my last choice in view of the above disadvantages, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #2,415 of 3,654
Hi Precog, normally I lurk without posting much but I got curious :) hope you don't mind.

1. I've noticed that on your first post here (the directory post) you've struck through several of your headers. Does that mean you find these posts no longer relevant? Especially regarding your post on "macro-dynamics".
2. Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a reason why your u12t S1 measures differently from S2 & S3 in your squig database?

Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back