Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #766 of 3,654
thats unfortunate
I see what you mean by sounds similar to the ve8

did the ve7 solve the sibilance issues you had with the ve8? (I think you mentioned it on reddit)

I'm not going to lie: Once I noticed the issue with the VE7's treble, I stopped listening, graphed it to confirm, and put it away. I was really disappointed.

My frame of reference has also changed, as I have a VE8 on loan again. This one doesn't seem to have the outright sibilance I observed on the original universal demo. It still has some grate in the upper-midrange due to the peak at 6kHz, but it's not too bad. I didn't have a coupler for measurements back then, and you can't compare them head-to-head, but Antdroid graphed that unit and, surprisingly, it lines up closely with the current, loaned unit. So I'm not sure why the sibilance doesn't present itself to me as strongly now. Either way, it's far too long ago for me to remember what I heard exactly on the universal demo, and I need to update my thoughts on the VE8.

0DC86483-9958-4112-82FD-B96511ED1461.jpeg69ED4878-0AB5-48E3-B279-F3771D508823.jpeg9ED490B9-F85B-4881-8BE1-28BA228D3B99.jpegE8057AB0-FC54-4334-9FEE-C407DE739ABB.jpeg56D76246-6151-414D-B0E1-CC3019E5AB96.jpeg

PMV PP + Moondrop filter = A poor man’s VE7 🙃

I have to wonder how that sounds. There's like... no pinna compensation lmao

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #767 of 3,654
My frame of reference has also changed, as I have a VE8 on loan again. This one doesn't seem to have the outright sibilance I observed on the original universal demo. It still has some grate in the upper-midrange due to the peak at 6kHz, but it's not too bad. I didn't have a coupler for measurements back then, and you can't compare them head-to-head, but Antdroid graphed that unit and, surprisingly, it lines up closely with the current, loaned unit. So I'm not sure why the sibilance doesn't present itself to me as strongly now. Either way, it's far too long ago for me to remember what I heard exactly on the universal demo, and I need to update my thoughts on the VE8.
I did some research on the older demo units and the newer official universal units, and I have found that in the older demo versions the tube for the high BA's lacks a damper as you can see here:

20191001232500z_wybusc.jpg

Whereas in the official universal units introduced at the end of last year, there are dampers on both tubes:

etc_img1_B4525.jpg

although I don't know if this would affect the sound as I'm not an engineer

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #770 of 3,654
Apple Lightning/USB-C to 3.5mm Dongle Impressions

Hey all, I wanted to share my subjective listening impressions of the Apple dongle (henceforth referred to as "dongle"). I don't see many sound impressions of it, which is surprising given that it's probably one of the most ubiquitous sources on the planet. Plus now that lossless audio has hit iPhone, the dongle presents a new standard for sources more than ever. I won't focus on the specifications too much (again, this post is intended to reflect how I hear the dongle), but the dongle has an excellent OI that's under 1ohm and the USB-C version, at least, has an extremely low noise floor. And as for how it actually sounds? Turns out pretty darn good.

The general nature of the Apple dongle's sound signature is a smooth one that perceptively hits fairly close to neutral. Bass has good presence on the dongle, suffering more on the front of texture and sounding slightly inflated. The midrange is probably the most distinctive part of the dongle's sound; it's at the forefront of the dongle's presentation and notes have good "size" to them. Consequently, I do find the overall presentation to be a more oval one that tends to lack depth, and transients are not as sharp as they could be articulated. But I don't dislike it, as it's oh-so-easy on the ears. The dongle's treble response is another story, though. I would say it sits slightly behind the midrange; neither recessed nor forward. The real problem lies in its texture. I enjoy a more realistic edge to my treble. Here, the overall smoothness comes off not necessarily plasticky, but not particularly natural either. When the hi-hats come in on Brooks & Dunn's "Red Dirt Road" at 0:29, they sound upwards-compressed and one-note; that is, difficult to distinguish from one another.

For technicalities, the dongle is pretty competent at articulating surface-level stuff. The more you listen to it, though, the more you come to realize that it's too smooth for its own good. On Keith Urban's "Sweet Thing," for example, the decay of the opening drum sounds a hint truncated and it lacks the slight shimmer and richness that better sources will exhibit. There are a lot of other tasteful nuances that the dongle seems to skim over, such as at around 1:20 on Taeyeon's "Make Me Love You". The transition from the synth effect to the bass-line is flatter than it should be, so the cadence of the track gets thrown off; the bridge is missing weight. Along these lines, for macro-dynamic contrast, the dongle is fairly competent but the nature of the swings themselves is messy. When a track explodes into loudness, for example, it seems to hover and extend through at the peak longer than it should, thus failing to catch the swing on the way back down. Generally, as I've alluded to so far, I would say it's a more upwards-compressed source.

Wow, I've given the dongle a lot of flack, haven't I? But while my impressions might seem critical, bear in mind that this thing is $10! You'll notice that I've critiqued little things here and there. That's because there's nothing that the dongle does blatantly wrong, and I'd genuinely struggle to see most listeners finding fault. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, it sounds better than a lot of dedicated DAPs I've heard! It's my benchmark. If you want me to say your source is good, it needs to at least be on par with or better than the Apple dongle.

Score: 5/10

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #772 of 3,654
I did some research on the older demo units and the newer official universal units, and I have found that in the older demo versions the tube for the high BA's lacks a damper as you can see here:

20191001232500z_wybusc.jpg

Whereas in the official universal units introduced at the end of last year, there are dampers on both tubes:

etc_img1_B4525.jpg

although I don't know if this would affect the sound as I'm not an engineer
Hi guys, just for clarification and to explain the different damper positions. There is a damper right in front of the four Tweeters, so you cannot see it as soon as the faceplate is not translucent. This damper is for acoustical tuning and very important. However, we noticed that this deep positioned damper somehow more often get clogged with sweat or moisture than other dampers. Therefore we decided to put another damper closer to the nozzle which has simply the purpose to protect the other damper and prevent liquid to get in. This damper is a screen mesh, so almost no damping factor. The influence in sound is so marginal that we decided to go this way and make the earphone more durable.

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #773 of 3,654
Apple Lightning/USB-C to 3.5mm Dongle Impressions

Hey all, I wanted to share my subjective listening impressions of the Apple dongle (henceforth referred to as "dongle"). I don't see many sound impressions of it, which is surprising given that it's probably one of the most ubiquitous sources on the planet. Plus now that lossless audio has hit iPhone, the dongle presents a new standard for sources more than ever. I won't focus on the specifications too much (again, this post is intended to reflect how I hear the dongle), but the dongle has an excellent OI that's under 1ohm and the USB-C version, at least, has an extremely low noise floor. And as for how it actually sounds? Turns out pretty darn good.

The general nature of the Apple dongle's sound signature is a smooth one that perceptively hits fairly close to neutral. Bass has good presence on the dongle, suffering more on the front of texture and sounding slightly inflated. The midrange is probably the most distinctive part of the dongle's sound; it's at the forefront of the dongle's presentation and notes have good "size" to them. Consequently, I do find the overall presentation to be a more oval one that tends to lack depth, and transients are not as sharp as they could be articulated. But I don't dislike it, as it's oh-so-easy on the ears. The dongle's treble response is another story, though. I would say it sits slightly behind the midrange; neither recessed nor forward. The real problem lies in its texture. I enjoy a more realistic edge to my treble. Here, the overall smoothness comes off not necessarily plasticky, but not particularly natural either. When the hi-hats come in on Brooks & Dunn's "Red Dirt Road" at 0:29, they sound upwards-compressed and one-note; that is, difficult to distinguish from one another.

For technicalities, the dongle is pretty competent at articulating surface-level stuff. The more you listen to it, though, the more you come to realize that it's too smooth for its own good. On Keith Urban's "Sweet Thing," for example, the decay of the opening drum sounds a hint truncated and it lacks the slight shimmer and richness that better sources will exhibit. There are a lot of other tasteful nuances that the dongle seems to skim over, such as at around 1:20 on Taeyeon's "Make Me Love You". The transition from the synth effect to the bass-line is flatter than it should be, so the cadence of the track gets thrown off; the bridge is missing weight. Along these lines, for macro-dynamic contrast, the dongle is fairly competent but the nature of the swings themselves is messy. When a track explodes into loudness, for example, it seems to hover and extend through at the peak longer than it should, thus failing to catch the swing on the way back down. Generally, as I've alluded to so far, I would say it's a more upwards-compressed source.

Wow, I've given the dongle a lot of flack, haven't I? But while my impressions might seem critical, bear in mind that this thing is $10! You'll notice that I've critiqued little things here and there. That's because there's nothing that the dongle does blatantly wrong, and I'd genuinely struggle to see most listeners finding fault. In fact, in the grand scheme of things, it sounds better than a lot of dedicated DAPs I've heard! It's my benchmark. If you want me to say your source is good, it needs to at least be on par with or better than the Apple dongle.

Score: 5/10
Sometimes I listen to my Apple dongle and Sony MH755 and wonder why I spend more than $20 in this hobby lol. It’s kinda crazy how good that combo sounds, regardless of price tag.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #774 of 3,654
Sometimes I listen to my Apple dongle and Sony MH755 and wonder why I spend more than $20 in this hobby lol. It’s kinda crazy how good that combo sounds, regardless of price tag.
The bass on my $6 Yincrow X6 earbuds makes a mockery of some kilobuck IEMs. You just have to convince yourself the small fortune you spent is all in the pursuit of rarified perfection, something that mere mortals can't comprehend 😅

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #776 of 3,654
The bass on my $6 Yincrow X6 earbuds makes a mockery of some kilobuck IEMs. You just have to convince yourself the small fortune you spent is all in the pursuit of rarified perfection, something that mere mortals can't comprehend 😅
I just pair my BLON 03 Iwith my EE Stormbreaker cable and voila, it's a kilobuck IEM.

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #778 of 3,654
I updated the impressions post a while back, it’s an 8/10 :)
I've looked it up, but in the initial post is the link to your review on headphones.com and I haven't seen the score there.

Great score! It sounds really good.

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #779 of 3,654
Do you have a score for dx160?

Maybe 5/10 or 6/10? It’s absolutely better than the Apple dongle for technicalities. I’m just not too fond of the DX160's sound signature these days. The treble on it is too sharp for its own good and can be somewhat screechy. Generally, decay leans truncated on the DX160, so it's a leaner presentation, if not a fairly uncolored one. Good for reviewing in that regard, but I prefer more coloration to my sound.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #780 of 3,654
Hi guys, just for clarification and to explain the different damper positions. There is a damper right in front of the four Tweeters, so you cannot see it as soon as the faceplate is not translucent. This damper is for acoustical tuning and very important. However, we noticed that this deep positioned damper somehow more often get clogged with sweat or moisture than other dampers. Therefore we decided to put another damper closer to the nozzle which has simply the purpose to protect the other damper and prevent liquid to get in. This damper is a screen mesh, so almost no damping factor. The influence in sound is so marginal that we decided to go this way and make the earphone more durable.
Good explanation 👏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back