Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #781 of 3,661
Quick update:
  • I’ve received tracking for the Oriolus Traillii. Yes, the fabled bird. It should be here next Thursday according to the tracking. Let's just say it has a lot of expectations to live up to.
  • tgx78's also loaned me his Tansio Mirai Spark. That's showing Tuesday delivery.
  • Did a quick write-up of the Tanchjim Tanya here. Basically just a follow-up to my initial impressions with some added commentary. I really like it and I think it presents excellent value for $20. It's what a good, budget DD IEM should aspire to be.
  • I've started working on the four-way flagship shootout. Just limited on time these days due to other stuff going on.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #783 of 3,661
I’ve received tracking for the Oriolus Traillii. Yes, the fabled bird. It should be here next Thursday according to the tracking. Let's just say it has a lot of expectations to live up to.
I think it's fair to say this is the one everyone is waiting for. Like Episode 9 of a Game of Thrones season. 😁

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #784 of 3,661
Is the four-way flagship shootout the S ranks on Crin's list?

Yup, it is! I don’t follow the rankings as religiously these days, but it’s still fun hunting down IEMs on Crin’s list and seeing how our impressions line-up. I’ve heard all the S/S- IEMs on his list. Funnily enough, I didn’t even realize until MRS pointed out that I’ve brought every single one over for demo at some point!

I think it's fair to say this is the one everyone is waiting for. Like Episode 9 of a Game of Thrones season. 😁

Let’s hope it doesn’t end like Season 8 apparently did.

Edit: Thread hit 100k views. Niiice :D

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #785 of 3,661
Quick update:
  • I’ve received tracking for the Oriolus Traillii. Yes, the fabled bird. It should be here next Thursday according to the tracking. Let's just say it has a lot of expectations to live up to.
  • tgx78's also loaned me his Tansio Mirai Spark. That's showing Tuesday delivery.
  • Did a quick write-up of the Tanchjim Tanya here. Basically just a follow-up to my initial impressions with some added commentary. I really like it and I think it presents excellent value for $20. It's what a good, budget DD IEM should aspire to be.
  • I've started working on the four-way flagship shootout. Just limited on time these days due to other stuff going on.
Awesome. Finally getting one of my favorite reviewers to review the Bird. To my ear, it is an S+ or a 10 on your scale. You are much more critical than I am, so looking forward to your impressions.

I just got a DX300. If you get a chance to hear the HD800S again, pair it with the DX300, I think you will be surprised at what you hear. Also, if you get a chance, listen to IEMS and headphones with your DX300 + C9. It might change how you do reviews.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #786 of 3,661
Awesome. Finally getting one of my favorite reviewers to review the Bird. To my ear, it is an S+ or a 10 on your scale. You are much more critical than I am, so looking forward to your impressions.

I just got a DX300. If you get a chance to hear the HD800S again, pair it with the DX300, I think you will be surprised at what you hear. Also, if you get a chance, listen to IEMS and headphones with your DX300 + C9. It might change how you do reviews.

Yes, I've tried the HD800S off of the DX300. I have to admit I prefer it off of the DX300 more than I do the “big boy” sources I have on-hand. The HD800S’s midrange and treble sounds slightly metallic to me - maybe too resolving for its own good at times. The DX300 warms it up and takes some of the edge off. It’s the same story with the Focal Clear. That’s where those slightly blunted midrange transients on the DX300 are a boon. Of course, maybe I’m just biased because I don’t like being tied to my desk haha.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #787 of 3,661
Yes, I've tried the HD800S off of the DX300. I have to admit I prefer it off of the DX300 more than I do the “big boy” sources I have on-hand. The HD800S’s midrange and treble sounds slightly metallic to me - maybe too resolving for its own good at times. The DX300 warms it up and takes some of the edge off. It’s the same story with the Focal Clear. That’s where those slightly blunted midrange transients on the DX300 are a boon. Of course, maybe I’m just biased because I don’t like being tied to my desk haha.
Hello,

what do you think is the proper dap for the Mest ?
I feel the vocal is too shouty sometimes,
R8, M8, N6ii, dx220max, dx300,
or maybe something else,

Thank you so much,

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #788 of 3,661
Hello,

what do you think is the proper dap for the Mest ?
I feel the vocal is too shouty sometimes,
R8, M8, N6ii, dx220max, dx300,
or maybe something else,

Thank you so much,

Let me just say that my experience with DAPs is more limited, so I haven't heard all of the ones you listed (or even half of them lol). I also frame my impressions/reviews of DAPs in the sense that the DAP itself has a distinct sound signature; I tend to think of synergy as being much more personal preference. Always recommend demoing for yourself if possible. But if you want a DAP that I think pulls down the midrange, then I’d look at something like the A&K SE200 (off of the ESS DAC side at least). Maybe someone else can chime in too.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #789 of 3,661
Got back my U12T, and it seems 64Audio might have fixed the tuning. Previously no amount of source memes could save it, but it's effortlessly enjoyable now, more in line with the demo that made me buy it. Only weakness could be it doesn't squeeze the last bit of euphoria in upper vocals, but it's a minor tradeoff for a very nice smooth, non-fatiguing signature. I think this is the only iem I could give S rank ( i might give Hidition Violet as well, but that demo session was too short).

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #790 of 3,661
Let me just say that my experience with DAPs is more limited, so I haven't heard all of the ones you listed (or even half of them lol). I also frame my impressions/reviews of DAPs in the sense that the DAP itself has a distinct sound signature; I tend to think of synergy as being much more personal preference. Always recommend demoing for yourself if possible. But if you want a DAP that I think pulls down the midrange, then I’d look at something like the A&K SE200 (off of the ESS DAC side at least). Maybe someone else can chime in too.
SE200 does that? Uh ohhhhh let's go

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #791 of 3,661
I’ve received tracking for the Oriolus Traillii. Yes, the fabled bird. It should be here next Thursday according to the tracking. Let's just say it has a lot of expectations to live up to.
Really looking forward to hear your thoughts on it :)

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #792 of 3,661
The Traillii has to be at least an S rank, otherwise not worth considering due to the Traillii's monstrous price tag.

Is there something that can't be done on a flagship 2k IEM but can be done on a 3k+ IEM? I feel you are throwing money down the drain after around 2k.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #793 of 3,661
Is there something that can't be done on a flagship 2k IEM but can be done on a 3k+ IEM? I feel you are throwing money down the drain after around 2k.
I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I was watching reviews for the Forte, A8000, Odin, LegendX, UM Mason FS, Thummim (can’t remember any other high priced ones). It seems like they are all TOTL quality, just have minor differences that excel in different areas (ie. LegendX with its bass). My opinion is that it mostly comes down to 1) what sound you like/want and 2) do you have the proper equipment to drive it properly to its full potential.

That being said, I would love to talk to someone who owns all of the top line IEMs (I KNOW a there are some here) and get their thoughts. Even better would be to try them personally somehow (maybe give them the title to my house in exchange) and analyze them to form my own opinion.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #794 of 3,661
I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I was watching reviews for the Forte, A8000, Odin, LegendX, UM Mason FS, Thummim (can’t remember any other high priced ones). It seems like they are all TOTL quality, just have minor differences that excel in different areas (ie. LegendX with its bass). My opinion is that it mostly comes down to 1) what sound you like/want and 2) do you have the proper equipment to drive it properly to its full potential.

That being said, I would love to talk to someone who owns all of the top line IEMs (I KNOW a there are some here) and get their thoughts. Even better would be to try them personally somehow (maybe give them the title to my house in exchange) and analyze them to form my own opinion.
I dont think you are too far off but each ear will hear things differently. Which could be the difference between A and S instead of S- and S.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #795 of 3,661
The Traillii has to be at least an S rank, otherwise not worth considering due to the Traillii's monstrous price tag.

Think of it like this,
iem A have a great vocal with a poor bass, $50
iem B great bass, poor vocal, $50
iem C have a great bass & vocal, it should be $100 right? no, it's $150,

iem under 1k is great but make a lot of compromise, loose bass, harsh vocal, poor imaging, etc,

the higher you go the less bad thing while maintaining the strength point,

if you only comparing about one thing, maybe vocal only, bass only, often the pricier iem is not better than the cheaper one,
for example, my $30 iem is better at a vocal timbre than a $2k iem, but the 2k iem is a more complete package,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back