Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #2,491 of 3,654
I think the Midnight has more refinement in the tuning department and would be more suitable if you're looking for more warmth (although it's not necessarily very warm). The sense of resolution on the Dioko is probably better.

Hi, if you look at the fine details of the rankings, you'll see that the Fourte mostly gets knocked on the basis of the tuning which takes too many creative liberties for my tastes. Nasal, too bright, blunted bass, etc. If you come from an 800S background, though, I can totally understand why you like the Fourte, as it does have one of the largest stages I've heard of an IEM. But if you're wondering why I've not ranked them at the top for imaging, the issue I have with their imaging - and this is just me personally - is that they sound unnatural to me. The 800S's wide soundstage exacerbates what I hear as a distinct lack of center image on headphones. On the other hand, the Fourte actually has stronger center imaging; however, the recessions at 1kHz and 3kHz lend to some oddity to its imaging (and tonality as noted above).

Like Golden and some others noted, the FR graph is not very useful for source measurements unless you're looking at something like iFi's XBass feature. I am definitely interested in getting more measurement tools in the future, though. The analyzer that Golden, ASR, and some others use is far out of reach financially for me, but something that I want to do is start measure the output impedance of sources and the impedance curve of IEMs. At the Headphones.com office, they've also put together A/B boxes for sources that I'd love to eventually get my hands on.

Thankfully, I don't think I've gotten much pushback for my reviews in the last year or so haha. Relatively speaking, I remember reading Animus' thread a couple years ago and there'd be flame wars in that thread pretty much every time he dropped a new post! There's probably some confirmation bias on my end, but it's nice to see that the review industry has been pivoting if slowly but surely...
How is the staging and dynamics of the Dioko compared to the Midnight?

Jul 20, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #2,492 of 3,654
You'd struggle to find a DAP/dongle that was NOT a flat FR to be honest.
Other than DAC filter rolloff I'm not aware of any devices that have anything other than a flat frequency response. (Excluding the obvious EQ options like the Mojo 2 or tuning alterations like ifi xBass).
When a DAP sounds different (same as with desktop DACs/Amps) it's almost always a result of distortion level and profile, crosstalk, jitter, output impedance etc, not FR
I don't think so. Many of the Obscure Chinese DAPs I have tested have a non-flat response. The F.Audio DAPS especially and others that I have been able to measure.
But what worries me most is the output impedance (as you rightly point out), something that can ruin the sound of connected IEMS, especially multidrivers with Balanced Armature. Sometimes, the variation should be positive and you can play with that change as a positive equalisation. But when I look for a source I only expect it to be neutral, flat and with low output impedance. That's why I make my measurements, even with humble devices like the ones I have.

That's not a criticism either, it's just my preference. :L3000:

Here you can see how a source with moderate output impedance can influence the frequency response of the connected IEMS.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-tk-2.25598/reviews#review-28386

Examples of sources with non-linear FRs:

F.Audio S1.pngF.Audio FA3.pngF.Audio XS03.pngXuelin H7 Low Gain vs Xuelin H7 High Gain.pngZiku HD-X10.pngJWD JWM-115.png

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2,493 of 3,654
Hope its ok to ask here, flicked through the entire thread it as super interesting.

Recently I switched to IEMs over headphones, I had an issue with my jaw and on off its come back and headphones always make it more painful. Also not really comfortable sitting in headphones in pain. So I tried a few IEMs and I have really enjoyed it, I was planning around this time to get a higher end set of headphones (HD800s), but now I want to go about the kilobuck range with an IEM. So just wondering if you guys could give me some advice?

My use case is mostly gaming, I used to comp FPS but now I mostly just play ranked in Apex on so on, I have found large soundstage isn't a big deal to me, but tuning where I hear sounds and imaging direction is important, I also play some MMO and single player, so again not looking for open back headphone levels of soundstage even if I could. I do listen to music with them mostly metal, watch movies/wrestling/youtube etc also. I have always thought I like warm sound, but honestly I am clueless.

My previous headphones, Sennheiser 363D, DT1990 (loved the detail), Tygr 300r (probably favourite), Harmonicdyne Zeus (great imaging), Beyer 900 pro x (not bad, clamp force made me send them back). And IEMs, Starfields (got me through a really bad jaw period, liked them), Isine10 (gift from a friend) and Fiio FD5 (current and favourite, but I am aware of their flaws)

The ones I have looked at, and UK availability is a pain for others like Sony, Andromeda 2020, Symphonium Helios, Mest MK2 and Monarch MK2. I have pretty much cut the last 2 out, and this thread made me add the Helios. Just wondering if I am missing anything? I know they don't compare to open backs, but I can't go back to headphones, they will aggrevate my jaw. And honestly, I have really grown to love how comfortable IEMs are to me.

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #2,494 of 3,654
I don't think so. Many of the Obscure Chinese DAPs I have tested have a non-flat response. The F.Audio DAPS especially and others that I have been able to measure.
But what worries me most is the output impedance (as you rightly point out), something that can ruin the sound of connected IEMS, especially multidrivers with Balanced Armature. Sometimes, the variation should be positive and you can play with that change as a positive equalisation. But when I look for a source I only expect it to be neutral, flat and with low output impedance. That's why I make my measurements, even with humble devices like the ones I have.

That's not a criticism either, it's just my preference. :L3000:

Here you can see how a source with moderate output impedance can influence the frequency response of the connected IEMS.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-tk-2.25598/reviews#review-28386

Examples of sources with non-linear FRs:

F.Audio S1.pngF.Audio FA3.pngF.Audio XS03.pngXuelin H7 Low Gain vs Xuelin H7 High Gain.pngZiku HD-X10.pngJWD JWM-115.png
Very nice data.
How would the phone (transducer) would know anything about the source impedance so to speak?

The transducer just needs to get the proper voltage modulation: amplitude and all the frequencies. For the higher source impedance, the source needs to apply higher voltage overall, with some part of the voltage dropping over its internal impedance
Do I miss something in this logic?

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,495 of 3,654
Very nice data.
How would the phone (transducer) would know anything about the source impedance so to speak?

The transducer just needs to get the proper voltage modulation: amplitude and all the frequencies. For the higher source impedance, the source needs to apply higher voltage overall, with some part of the voltage dropping over its internal impedance
Do I miss something in this logic?
An old article related to output impedance will shed light on your questions :wink:

https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #2,496 of 3,654
Questyle M15 Impressions

Price: $250
Unit kindly provided for review courtesy of @Questyle.

Great impressions. I'm glad to see Questyle is gaining some mainstream focus now that they've decided to offer more "entry-level" products.

My first encounter with Questyle was their QP1R DAP. Atrocious UI, and even worse navigation system with that accursed "wheel" that tried to mimic the iPods of the old but managed to make things worse than ever. The display was miniscule, and it lacked all sort of connectivity options other than good ol' USB.

However, I was taken aback by the gorgeous build. Questyle takes build quality seriously, and QP1R showed that. There were two SD card slots which is rare nowadays despite DAP size getting larger, and one-handed use was a breeze.

The best aspect was the sound quality. The dynamics were exceptional, esp microdynamics and the way instruments panned across the stage which was noticeably different from the rest of the DAPs that I tried. Also it has a true line-out that further showcases the excellent DAC implementation underneath. Ironically, it outresolves the DX300 by a margin with a single CS43131 chipset while the iBasso DAP got four of those DACs. Implementation is everything, proven once again.

IMG_9069.JPG

Being extremely impressed with the QP1R, I decided to upgrade to one of Questyle's desk offerings. So I got the CMA-400i and till now it's been my "reference" desktop source. The CMA-400i can drive most headphones with ease (including the notorious HE-6 which pushes it to the limit but still doesn't break it).

I also had the chance to review the newly released CMA Fifteen and I consider that to be my endgame desk source for the time being. There are better sounding DAC/Amp stacks, but those cost noticeably more (e.g. the Holo May + Accuphase E380 for one).

IMG_8649.jpg

I hope you try and review one of their desk setups as well, though I can see why your focus will be more on portability (in which case, the QP2R or QPM can be potential candidates for review). Looking forward to more "source" reviews.

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #2,497 of 3,654
my endgame desk source for the time being

Endgame for a game that never ends! Gotta love this hobby.

The DAP looks beautiful.

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #2,499 of 3,654
Hey Precog, I finally got the coveted B2 Dusk in my collection and am enjoying this set quite a bit.

I plan to round out my current collection with the S8 or IE600 later this year, just how much better is the S8 on technicals? There seems to be a bit of confusion as some people claim the B2 / B2 Dusk trade blows with the S8, I honestly find it a bit hard to believe given that I don't think the B2Dusk has amazing technicalities. (Pretty good for the price but nothing out of this world.)

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #2,500 of 3,654
I honestly find it a bit hard to believe given that I don't think the B2Dusk has amazing technicalities. (Pretty good for the price but nothing out of this world.)

My two cents: there is a noticeable jump between IEMs at lower level (Aria, Titan S, FD5 in my collection) to B2/B2Dusk in terms of midrange resolution. I still remember the first “wow” moment when I put on B2 the first time and hear the stereo image clearly even to the edge of the stage.

However, there is another noticeable jump between B2 and the ones at upper echelon (Andromeda, or even Meze Advar and A4000). To my ears, it has something to do with the treble and bass.

Of course, if listeners do not care about the last bit of performance, nor have a music library that benefits from such advantages, then it doesn’t matter much. Thus “B2 is as good as S8”

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,501 of 3,654
My two cents: there is a noticeable jump between IEMs at lower level (Aria, Titan S, FD5 in my collection) to B2/B2Dusk in terms of midrange resolution. I still remember the first “wow” moment when I put on B2 the first time and hear the stereo image clearly even to the edge of the stage.

However, there is another noticeable jump between B2 and the ones at upper echelon (Andromeda, or even Meze Advar and A4000). To my ears, it has something to do with the treble and bass.

Of course, if listeners do not care about the last bit of performance, nor have a music library that benefits from such advantages, then it doesn’t matter much. Thus “B2 is as good as S8”
I think getting an FDX1 before the Dusk spoiled my impressions with the Dusk, they both have similar resolution with the Dusk having noticeably better imaging and dynamics.

Maybe I was expecting a bit too much given that most people have gushed over the Dusk and is considered to be the ultimate sub $500 IEM

I personally care about that last bit of performance which means the answer to an upgrade is a yes.

BTW, Meze Advar is an interesting pickup, very few people own a set, I think the price + Meze's no-so-good IEM track record are the two big reasons why.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,502 of 3,654
Meze Advar is an interesting pickup, very few people own a set, I think the price + Meze's no-so-good IEM track record are the two big reasons why.

I have little faith when receiving Advar, tbh. However, that strange IEM is legit, except the hot 8k region. I’m auditioning to U6t at the moment, and I am don’t find much difference in resolution (from memory, so giant grain of salt).

Btw, Vulkan is no match for Advar technical wise. Vulkan is more or less B2 level, which I don’t find adequate (personally) anymore. My Andromeda spoiled me.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #2,503 of 3,654
@Precogvision
I cancelled my Diva order so now I'm looking for a kilobuck to purchase. Currently thinking of blind buying Helios which I won't be able to demo. What IEMs that's similar to its and it's antithesis?

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2,504 of 3,654
@Precogvision
I cancelled my Diva order so now I'm looking for a kilobuck to purchase. Currently thinking of blind buying Helios which I won't be able to demo. What IEMs that's similar to its and it's antithesis?
I don't know how big is your ear but Helios shells size is very big. Not recommended blind buy.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #2,505 of 3,654
Hey Precog, I finally got the coveted B2 Dusk in my collection and am enjoying this set quite a bit.

I plan to round out my current collection with the S8 or IE600 later this year, just how much better is the S8 on technicals? There seems to be a bit of confusion as some people claim the B2 / B2 Dusk trade blows with the S8, I honestly find it a bit hard to believe given that I don't think the B2Dusk has amazing technicalities. (Pretty good for the price but nothing out of this world.)

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Dusk. If the B2 trades blows with the S8, I would say it's mostly on the basis of tonality. The S8 is definitely more technical (read: for a sense of detail and layering) just by virtue of it having superior treble extension and more upper-midrange presence. I do think the B2 is more dynamic, though.

@Precogvision

I wouldn't blind-buy it. To echo what Kai said, the shells are quite large. To answer your question, I don't really think there's any other IEMs that do what the Helios does off the top of my head. The profile of its pinna compensation and linear treble extension are unique, and that's why I bought it. Maybe to some degree the Dioko comes close on paper, but it sounds totally different in practice. Complements to the Helios are difficult to narrow down too because, again, almost everything is different from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back