Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #1,666 of 3,652
Thanks for your advice but I can only use my phone which is the Asus Rog phone 2. Need to use my iem with YouTube aswell which makes me limited with other sources.

U can always get a sub $30 USD dongle to connect onto the phone. Some of these dongles are not neutral but lie to the warm side, you can ask more in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-c-to-3-5mm-adapters-dac-lets-find-the-best.908839/

Youtube videos are also a bit hit and miss when it comes to sound quality, some of them are quite compressed, so they may sound different when a good mastered source file is used instead. Maybe try spotify or some other streaming sites?

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #1,667 of 3,652
The long-awaited Lightning adapter for the Dunu modular cables is here! Thanks to @DUNU-Topsound for sending this out.

I'm sure someone is going to ask about the sound, so I compared it with the normal Apple dongle using the Moondrop B2. Honestly? I couldn't hear a difference. I'm probably not the best person to ask about that stuff, though, and this is mainly about convenience. It goes great alongside the DUW02 cable and satiates my lo-fi mobile listening habits.

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #1,668 of 3,652
Hey all, I've been busy with midterms and assignments, but here's a quick update on the state of the thread and what's on the table currently:
  • The Softears RS10 is here courtesy of @tgx78. I'll write-up some impressions later this week, hopefully.
  • An experimental version of the DUNU Falcon Pro has arrived which I'll evaluate in conjunction with the Falcon Pro for my full review.
  • The prototype DUNU Titan S has arrived. This is a single-DD budget set. The sound is still subject to change, but first impressions are that it's very solid, an easy recommendation for its price point.
  • The Empire Ears EVO replacement unit has arrived. I will likely start evaluating that soon.
  • I've been evaluating my CIEM for the past week or so, with the review likely to follow later this week. The CIEM itself is a secret for now, though!
  • My review units of the Moondrop Kato and the 7Hz Timeless should be here by Thursday. I will be giving the 7Hz Timeless a more in-depth review as it's been gaining quite a lot of traction.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,669 of 3,652
  • An experimental version of the DUNU Falcon Pro has arrived which I'll evaluate in conjunction with the Falcon Pro for my full review.
  • The prototype DUNU Titan S has arrived. This is a single-DD budget set. The sound is still subject to change, but first impressions are that it's very solid, an easy recommendation for its price point.
Best of luck with midterms!

I'm interested in the two points above. Do you know if Dunu has any plans relating to the experimental version of the Falcon Pro or is that more like a prototype that they're letting you play with?

And you wouldn't happen to have any idea when they were planning on releasing the Titan S, do you?

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,670 of 3,652
Best of luck with midterms!

I'm interested in the two points above. Do you know if Dunu has any plans relating to the experimental version of the Falcon Pro or is that more like a prototype that they're letting you play with?

And you wouldn't happen to have any idea when they were planning on releasing the Titan S, do you?

Thanks! It's more along the lines of a prototype. Whereas the stock Falcon Pro goes for a warmer, more "musical" sound at the expense of clarity, this one has less bass and more pinna gain to showcase what a more technically oriented Falcon Pro would sound like. Regarding the release date of Titan S, I'm not sure. I was told pending when a mascot is chosen for it.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,671 of 3,652
The long-awaited Lightning adapter for the Dunu modular cables is here! Thanks to @DUNU-Topsound for sending this out.

I'm sure someone is going to ask about the sound, so I compared it with the normal Apple dongle using the Moondrop B2. Honestly? I couldn't hear a difference. I'm probably not the best person to ask about that stuff, though, and this is mainly about convenience. It goes great alongside the DUW02 cable and satiates my lo-fi mobile listening habits.

IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
I think it's cool, but I don't really have a use case for it since I don't use the apple dongle for anything other than my BLON 03. Hard to justify that expensive cable for my BLON 03

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,674 of 3,652
P1050311.JPGP1050316.JPG

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,675 of 3,652
SoftEars RS10 Impressions

graph-6.png

I won't devote too much writing to the background of this IEM, but SoftEars is basically the partner to Moondrop (or something along those lines). They have their own lineup, and the RS10 is their 10BA halo model that clocks in at $2000. As far as I understand it, the RS10 is intended to be a neutral-reference monitor. I don't use my IEMs in a professional capacity, though, so I'll just be taking a more subjective stab at what I think of it.

The first thing that strikes my ears when I hear the RS10 is grit. For the uninitiated, while dynamic drivers tend to have an elongated, smooth taper to decay, BAs tend to decay a lot quicker. This presents itself (to my ears at least) with successive, abrupt tapers in decay and a slight raspiness to notes. Some listeners might associate this quality with detail. But there’s no way around it; the RS10 is excessively gritty to my ears. This is especially true within the context of the RS10’s upper-midrange which sports an aggressive rise that tracks very closely to the Harman 2019 IEM target. To quote someone else who’s heard the RS10: “The signature probably doesn’t work with your library though. It'd make K-Pop sound horrible”. Well, I can confirm that it’s not horrible, but it’s certainly somewhat off-putting. Now, perhaps this might favor music that has been mastered better - I also find it more palpable when it comes to the flat lower-mids of the RS10 - but I fundamentally dislike grain to my sound, so moving on.

Bass on the RS10 is interesting. It’s largely sub-bass focused and certainly clean, but the intangibles of the RS10’s bass are what stand out to me. I want to say it’s articulated with a little more wetness, perhaps softness, contrasted to what is otherwise a fairly dry and crisp sound signature moving upwards. It does come across as a minor coherency issue despite it being a desirable characteristic (akin to what IEMs like the 64A U12t and Dunu SA6 exhibit) to have from a BA low-end. Perhaps it’s just my imagination, though, and a result of the more segmented shelf.

We’ve already talked about my issues with the RS10’s midrange, and likewise, I don’t think the treble response is as refined as it could be. In general, the most obvious point of comparison would be the Moondrop S8 because the RS10 is touted as being an “improved” S8. I disagree at least in terms of their treble responses, hence the quotations. The RS10 has more mid-treble (think ~8kHz) than the Moondrop S8, yet it's neither as extended (the RS10 takes an audible nosedive after 15kHz), nor has it been done as tastefully as the S8. To the point of the latter, there’s more of a Moondrop Blessing 2 thing going on where - again - there’s too much grit to even stuff like shakers, which is a funny thing to say. I mean, it's certainly less abrasive than the B2's treble, but I unquestionably prefer the more airy, slightly less sparkly S8's treble to this.

Despite my tonality issues with the RS10, there can be no doubt that it is a strong technical performer, likely eclipsing even the aforementioned Moondrop S8. This is especially apparent in terms of raw micro-detail where the RS10 is seemingly able to better convey textural nuance to trailing consonances and vocals. Admittedly, though, I don’t find the RS10 particularly engaging for dynamics. Comparison with other heavy-hitters establishes that the RS10 falls on the shorter end of the stick; for example, I find that the Symphonium Helios sports both better macro and micro-dynamics in A/B. Music just sounds more vibrant on the Helios. Imaging on the RS10 is also somewhat of a paradox. While the RS10 doesn’t have the most open staging, there is a certain appeal wherein everything on the stage sounds like it’s within an arm’s reach. In essence, things sound big and upfront, yet seemingly not congested.

The bottom line? I think the RS10 is definitely a good IEM; however, I would be remiss to start pulling the punches when we’re talking TOTL prices. This holds especially true when the Moondrop S8 - at roughly a third of the cost - is easily trading blows. The way I see it, then, the RS10 is a slightly more detailed Moondrop S8, but without some of the tasteful refinement that the S8 sports. Now, if you're after that gritty-reference sound then this might be the best rendition of that I've heard so far, but it's still overpriced and a long shot off what I would consider worthy of the "best-in-the-world" status this type of pricing should command.

Score: 6/10

All critical listening was done off the 4.4mm jack of my iBasso DX300 and with Azla SednaEarfits. It's worth putting it out there that the RS10 takes a considerable amount of power to drive. It's also a fairly large IEM (sticks out a bit) and I found that the pressure-relief wasn't really that great despite the placeholder BA for relieving listener stress that is advertised. Or at least I can more easily "pop" my ears to alleviate pressure with my CIEMs and they're just as isolating.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #1,676 of 3,652
Thanks for your reply but what would be your choice for male vocals upto the 500 price range. Personally I have disliked all ba iem I have tried due to them not sounding life-like when compared to my single dd's (oxygen and Kanas pro etc). But tbf I have never heard sonion ba's and hear they fare better which i am not too sure of that's why I stick with single dd's. Also I hear people say that the oxygen is one of the best single dd's and whilst I love mine I kind of feel male vocals lack emotion due to sounding lean. However the cheaper Kanas pro had a good weighty sound that expressed male vocals very nicely but the driver is kind of lacking these days. What is the next best upgrade do you think for me? I have Kato's coming but am not sure if they have better vocals then the oxygen.
In my limited opinion, I don’t hear the Kato being nearly as good as the Hana 2021 for male or female voices. To my ears, the Kato is just plain shouty. Maybe it is just me. I can vouch that the Penon FAN ( and Globe) are great for male vocals.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #1,677 of 3,652
In my limited opinion, I don’t hear the Kato being nearly as good as the Hana 2021 for male or female voices. To my ears, the Kato is just plain shouty. Maybe it is just me. I can vouch that the Penon FAN ( and Globe) are great for male vocals.

I can kind of see where you are coming from. I haven't heard the sets you mention, but I'd describe the KATO as being very forward in it's presentation. As such, I consider it enjoyed better at lower volumes than some other sets. Consider the ER2XR. That is a highly resolving set, but it it far less forward sounding than the KATO. I can unequivocally state, that at present, I prefer the ER2XR to the KATO, and it's not even close.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #1,678 of 3,652
What's up with the mixed impressions with that iem. Some people love the Kato's and say it's smooth and natural with everything balanced while others say peaky. Mine is coming in a couple of days time but I still kind of wish I got the timeless or just went for the new penon serial iem that is about to launch.

I would take ba suggestions but my past experience make me not desire them soo much because of that artificial sound I used to hear. Also I have the oxygens and like many reviews I too find the lower mids lacking power and body to help convey expressions more authenticly. Why I jumped on the Kato's is because the Kanas pro was the closest thing I heard to a natural and life like male vocal presentation but that iem is kinda lacking everywhere else these days.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,679 of 3,652
What's up with the mixed impressions with that iem. Some people love the Kato's and say it's smooth and natural with everything balanced while others say peaky. Mine is coming in a couple of days time but I still kind of wish I got the timeless or just went for the new penon serial iem that is about to launch.

I would take ba suggestions but my past experience make me not desire them soo much because of that artificial sound I used to hear. Also I have the oxygens and like many reviews I too find the lower mids lacking power and body to help convey expressions more authenticly. Why I jumped on the Kato's is because the Kanas pro was the closest thing I heard to a natural and life like male vocal presentation but that iem is kinda lacking everywhere else these days.
It’s probably down to:
  • the type of music one likes
  • the sources one has at hand
  • past experience with gear
  • subjective preference for one type of sound presentation over another
You should listen to the Kato yourself and decide how you feel about it :)

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #1,680 of 3,652
I just paired the Hana 2021 with the Moondrop Line K in balanced mode. (IPhone 13 Pro (Apple Music) >L&p W1>Moondrop Line K>Hana 2021). I don’t need to make any 11.11 or BF purchases. Both my ears and wallet love me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back