Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
May 13, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #601 of 3,636
Yeah, the lack of bass should come as no surprise. What is surprising, however, is how much it shifts around the intangibles. You'd expect less bass to result in a cleaner sound which was the complete opposite of what I heard; even the low-end itself sounded mucky.
Could you compare usb C apple dongle vs dx160 on how andro2020 sounds?

May 13, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #602 of 3,636
Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator Impressions

This is an IEM that most people will probably not be familiar with, so I'll lend some quick background. Elysian Acoustic Labs is a Malaysian-based, one-man-brand. The Annihilator is the crown jewel of their lineup, a tribrid sporting 1DD/4BA/2EST that clocks in at roughly $3700 USD. Yes, it's very expensive. And also hard to find: Elysian Acoustic Labs has an arduous ordering process for international customers, and it doesn't help that they experienced a flood awhile back which put a stopper on production altogether. That hasn't stopped word of mouth from reaching my ears, though, with many listeners (listeners with opinions I actually respect, to be clear) calling it one of the best IEMs they've heard. Still, I'd given up hope of ever hearing the Annihilator, so imagine my shock when the Redditor who sent me the Hidition Violet casually mentioned he'd sent along another IEM as a surprise. In fact, to my knowledge, I'm currently the lone man in the US who's heard an Annihilator! But that's enough chit-chat: How does the Annihilator actually sound?

graph-10.png

Well, in short? It sounds freaking amazing, and it (mostly) lives up to the hype that surrounds it. One of the first things you'll notice listening to the Annihilator is that it takes a considerable amount of power to drive. That's a good thing, and it means that the other drivers - specifically the DD and BAs - have been dampened to match the EST drivers' much lower sensitivity. In general, the Annihilator sports what I would consider a mild-V shape; it is a more colored, incredibly quick and engaging sound.

But surprisingly, the bass on the Annihilator is not really a selling point to my ears. I hear a healthy mid-bass tilt which lends to a considerable amount of punch. It sounds quite impressive out of the gate, especially because I've mainly been rocking my U12T for the past couple weeks. Closer listening, however, presents a couple of issues. The Annihilator's bass sounds...dry. Almost static, really, in a compressed fashion that I've often associated with cheaper DD offerings like the Moondrop Blessing 2. It's unmistakably DD bass - even good by most metrics - but for the price the Annihilator commands, I would expect nothing less than the best. Ultimately, it's nothing more than adequate and squeaks by with passing marks to my ears; points off for driver flex too. But it's all uphill from here. The quicker speed and upwards-compression of the Annihilator's bass serve to mask some of the transition into the midrange BAs. And what beautiful work has been done with the midrange. The lower-midrange is slightly scooped, followed by a largely upper-midrange oriented tuning. Midrange notes are thin, yes, but they don't sound shouty to my ears. The slight tonal quirks are a small price to pay for the sheer clarity and resolution that the Annihilator's midrange has. Midrange decay is clean, largely devoid of grain similar to what I hear with the UM MEST.

And we haven't even gotten to the best part. The Annihilator is lauded, above all else, for its implementation of the EST drivers. I'm happy to confirm that the Annihilator makes most other EST implementations I've heard thus far a laughing stock. Indeed, I've generally associated ESTs with a softer, almost mushy characteristic. But the Annihilator makes clear that the driver is capable of so much more. In fact, I'm reminded a good deal of the sharper transient attack that the ESR MK.II's treble exhibits - not that the ESR MK.II's treble is remotely in the same realm, of course. The Annihilator's treble is bright, no doubt. However, because it's smooth and linear, it's also not fatiguing; we see here one of the many benefits of tuning with precision. And gosh, the treble response of the Annihilator is quick, possibly the quickest I've heard, handling the treble rollercoaster that is Girls Generations "Into the New World" with deft precision. Stack on superb extension and you have one of the best treble responses in the game. Now, I don't think the Annihilator quite knocks the IER-Z1R for that incredible transient hardness and treble reverb, but...it easily competes as a whole, and there can be no shame in that.

Technicalities on the Annihilator are generally top-notch. Dynamics are uncompressed with a good sense of macrodynamic punch and contrast. Staging is surprisingly out-out-of-head, particularly in terms of width, despite the more forward presentation. Of course, I'd like more soundstage depth, but it's a worthy sacrifice for the Annihilator's resolution. Indeed, on first listen, I told myself, "Damn, this thing is resolving". A short while later, I found myself asking, "Is this the most resolving IEM I've heard?". Really. And again, I cannot emphasize the importance of proper treble reproduction here. The speed of the Annihilator's ESTs means that it picks up any and every minutia in a track. Likewise, the excessive amounts of treble air lend to the perception of more "open" staging; the Annihilator's layering chops are among the best. No critiques you say? Not quite. Expectedly, the biggest issue would be coherency. The Annihilator has excellent transient response and speed all-round, but there is what I can only describe as a "rawness" to the Annihilator's presentation that I can't ignore; it lacks those last legs of refinement. I suspect timbre - so consistency of decay - is where something like the EE Odin might have it beat.

Now, I've made it clear in the past that I don't care very much for multi-kilobuck IEMs. I simply wouldn't feel comfortable recommending IEMs like this. But best of the best status goes a long way, and there's little question that the Annihilator has its place among the stars in the IEM world. The Annihilator, then, is a testament to David vs. Goliath. That a one-man team can swoop in and show all the big names in the IEM world how its done, create something that plays at the top, is the beauty of this hobby. And even more ridiculous? More than a year after its release, the Annihilator remains the best EST implementation I've heard by a good margin. Established brands better step up their game lest they wish to be annihilated by upstart brands like this.

Score: 8/10
Damn that’s a high score... sent the dude a message let’s see

May 13, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #603 of 3,636
Could you compare usb C apple dongle vs dx160 on how andro2020 sounds?

They both have more bass quantity with the Andro 2020, which is how I like it. The DX160 has more treble, or doesn't roll-off as much. Decay has more etch too, whereas the USB-C dongle leans smoothed over. DX160 cuts into dynamic swings quicker and has more detail overall. That said, I wouldn't really bother buying a DX160 just for the Andro 2020, as the Apple USB-C dongle isn't far behind.

not sure about that 6k dip, but that treble really goes up high with no major peaks!

Yeah, I think it works in this case. It‘s already toeing the line with how bright it is, so I think cutting out some of the impact was the right decision. And again, the transients are sharper, unlike other ESTs that I've heard which often peak that region to compensate.

Damn that’s a high score... sent the dude a message let’s see

I don't know man, it's got quite a lot of upper-midrange 🤣

May 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #604 of 3,636
They both have more bass quantity with the Andro 2020, which is how I like it. The DX160 has more treble, or doesn't roll-off as much. Decay has more etch too, whereas the USB-C dongle leans smoothed over. DX160 cuts into dynamic swings quicker and has more detail overall. That said, I wouldn't really bother buying a DX160 just for the Andro 2020, as the Apple USB-C dongle isn't far behind.

Yeah, I think it works in this case. It‘s already toeing the line with how bright it is, so I think cutting out some of the impact was the right decision. And again, the transients are sharper, unlike other ESTs that I've heard which often peak that region to compensate.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the upper mid range? Is there an IEM you’d compare it to in that aspect? Does it shove female vocals in your eyeballs?

May 13, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #605 of 3,636

Yeah to follow up on evo’s questions haha

would you say the bass and treble are placed in front of the upper midrange? Do vocals tend to dominate tracks, or are they on the same plane as instruments?

You mentioned the staging width which made me optimistic

May 13, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #606 of 3,636
Can you elaborate a bit more on the upper mid range? Is there an IEM you’d compare it to in that aspect? Does it shove female vocals in your eyeballs?
Yeah to follow up on evo’s questions haha

would you say the bass and treble are placed in front of the upper midrange? Do vocals tend to dominate tracks, or are they on the same plane as instruments?

You mentioned the staging width which made me optimistic

I would say the mid-bass, upper-midrange, and treble all have some degree of emphasis. They're more or less in-line with one another. They're also all incredibly distinct on the stage; the Annihilator has top-notch layering. It's really just a matter of how much quantity you can tolerate. Regarding a comparison to the Annihilator's upper-midrange, it's difficult to give one because there's not many V-shaped IEMs at the flagship level. It's not quite like the Odin with the overly aggressive pinna compensation, but if you didn't like the Odin's upper-midrange, I don't think you'll like the Annihilator's either. Still, you have to take into account the bass and treble frequencies. This is in the sense that those frequencies will alter one's perception of the midrange and balance out what would otherwise be a very forward upper-midrange standalone.

May 13, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #607 of 3,636
I would say the mid-bass, upper-midrange, and treble all have some degree of emphasis. They're more or less in-line with one another. They're also all incredibly distinct on the stage; the Annihilator has top-notch layering. It's really just a matter of how much quantity you can tolerate. Regarding a comparison to the Annihilator's upper-midrange, it's difficult to give one because there's not many V-shaped IEMs at the flagship level. It's not quite like the Odin with the overly aggressive pinna compensation, but if you didn't like the Odin's upper-midrange, I don't think you'll like the Annihilator's either. Still, you have to take into account the bass and treble frequencies. This is in the sense that those frequencies will alter one's perception of the midrange and balance out what would otherwise be a very forward upper-midrange standalone.

TL: DR If it's tuned like the Thummim

May 13, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #608 of 3,636
I have heard many estat implementations both full size stax and lauded IEM’s. Traillii actually caught me off guard with its estat treble. If you haven’t heard it I’d recommend taking it for a spin. Not to review or recommend it since the cost is quite high… just to hear it. Since I have not heard the annihilator I’d leave it up to you to see which one is more desirable.

May 14, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #609 of 3,636
Received my Hidition Viento R and testing it with the different combinations and using the Ibasso DX300. Will try later this weekend with LP and Lotoo dongles from my phone

• Had to remember that this was only a 4 BA, playing around with the switches has been a joy, they are easy to switch compared with other IEM's I have used with switches
  • The tuning variety is quiet compelling
  • Currently , I think will be using the D setting at least based on the tests . Limited burn in and using mostly alternative and indie rock , for now.
  • First time that using tip rolling was not required
  • Would have like a different cable. Feels like a Earsonics or 64 Audio cable. I mean it works, but maybe its the price of the IEM that tells me I should have received a different one??. Have not changed cable permanently as I found the combination to be well balanced, meaning this cable plays well with each tuning option, other cables from EA, OC Studio ,etc tend to change a bit the tuning. The other balance element is the cable does not tangle up or pull on the shells when walking around the house and feels in "equilibrium" cable vs weight of shells
  • Like red and just took a gamble ordering plain red and they are really exactly what I wanted ( without expecting) has a great vibrancy and when in different levels of light retains its color "punch"
  • Don't have any issues with fit or discomfort. Have used twice in 2-4 hr runs at the office
Bought this from the USA via Zepellin Singapore. Great service and follow up for such a "far away" transaction.

20210514_152511.jpg

May 14, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #610 of 3,636
Received my Hidition Viento R and testing it with the different combinations and using the Ibasso DX300. Will try later this weekend with LP and Lotoo dongles from my phone

• Had to remember that this was only a 4 BA, playing around with the switches has been a joy, they are easy to switch compared with other IEM's I have used with switches
  • The tuning variety is quiet compelling
  • Currently , I think will be using the D setting at least based on the tests . Limited burn in and using mostly alternative and indie rock , for now.
  • First time that using tip rolling was not required
  • Would have like a different cable. Feels like a Earsonics or 64 Audio cable. I mean it works, but maybe its the price of the IEM that tells me I should have received a different one??. Have not changed cable permanently as I found the combination to be well balanced, meaning this cable plays well with each tuning option, other cables from EA, OC Studio ,etc tend to change a bit the tuning. The other balance element is the cable does not tangle up or pull on the shells when walking around the house and feels in "equilibrium" cable vs weight of shells
  • Like red and just took a gamble ordering plain red and they are really exactly what I wanted ( without expecting) has a great vibrancy and when in different levels of light retains its color "punch"
  • Don't have any issues with fit or discomfort. Have used twice in 2-4 hr runs at the office
Bought this from the USA via Zepellin Singapore. Great service and follow up for such a "far away" transaction.

If you don't mind me asking, whats the total cost, and was there a pre-set option? (One without the Switches)

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #611 of 3,636
If you don't mind me asking, whats the total cost, and was there a pre-set version option? (One without the Switches)
All in it was around $1300 , could not answer the switch question. However the people from Zeppelin could , they are very responsive. I even had a bunch of original questions and answers done via Instagram which was new to me. Will state that the build time is around 6-8 weeks and it's the first time I had to wait that long for a Universal. But cannot really complain. But talking to other people previously Hidition treats all orders individually and don't carry stock

May 16, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #612 of 3,636
Meetup Notes [5/16/21]

Here are the IEMs that I heard today at the usual garage meetup with MRS. Was more tired, so I neither listened super closely nor took very detailed notes. Ignore the Tanchjim waifu girl in the graph backdrops. I've been meaning to change it back, but got lazy (and okay, maybe I do kind of like it).

BGVP NS9:

graph-17.png

Wow, a 2DD/7BA IEM for $170. Big value because more driva mean more betta, right? Nope. This is hot garbage. Female vocals sound incredibly glassy and distant. Arguably the best part about this IEM would be its treble extension, but it sounds fatiguing in the sense that it simply has too much upper-harmonic air. Mediocre imaging anyways with generally poor technicalities.

Hiby Crystal6:

graph-16.png

Literal highway robbery for $500. It's BA bass, so you already know the drill. Interestingly, the Crystal6's midrange does not sound upper-midrange forward like the graph might imply; it simply sounds distant. I have to wonder if this is by virtue of sheer treble presence. Indeed, the Crystal6's treble is the definition of mid-treble ice picks to the ears. It doesn't even have the benefit of being well-extended like the NS9's treble is.

Mangird Tea:

graph-15.png

I went into this one with pretty low expectations, but it's actually pretty decent. The tuning is on-point without any deal breaking quirks to my ears; it simply sounds neutral. I've been asked to compare the Mangird Tea to the Moondrop B2 quite a bit, and the short answer is that the B2 is more than a couple steps ahead in the technical department. I think the only aspects with which I'd prefer the Tea is for its (slightly) cleaner timbre and smoother treble. That aside, the real issue with the Tea is a decided lack of "X" factor. It's just boring and lacks a standout to prop it up, especially for the asking price.

Moondrop Sparks:

graph-14.png

The Sparks is legit. Easily my favorite IEM I heard today. The tonal balance is expectedly pretty close to Harman. Graphs can be deceiving, though, and it really does sound like the Sparks has quite a lot of bass (mid-bass in particular). I think it'll be pushing it for some listeners, but it's perfectly satisfactory for my tastes. The rest of the tuning is, of course, upper-midrange and lower-treble oriented, so stay away if that's not your thing. But I think this sort of tuning is necessary for TWS, at least in the sense that it compensates for them not being as resolving. For $90? This is plenty competitive from a sound perspective.

IEMScore
BGVP NS92
Fiio FH5S (didn't bother taking any notes on this one)3
Hiby Crystal62
Mangird Tea4
Moondrop Sparks5

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #614 of 3,636
hi @Precogvision, with the DX300 impressions (and dongle comments) can we expect any DAP reviews from you soon? I'd lend you my 1a but I'm on the other side of the world, haha

Yup, I’ll probably be covering more DAP content in the future. The next review is going to be of the DX300, and I have the new AK SE180 arriving tomorrow. However, I don’t plan to cover DAPs on a regular basis like I do IEMs. The differences aren’t pronounced enough for me to care most of the time. It requires me to A/B more than I’d like, and it can be difficult to isolate what I’m hearing unlike with IEMs.

May 19, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #615 of 3,636
Hidition Violet Impressions

Time for a quick write-up of another rare IEM. This is South Korean maker Hidition's 11BA flagship that will run you $3300.

KR3XZRB5BrQ1H1HWkCg01HeGvd8pgZPHZIn28MEs6dL7eFnx89gw3JOryyw5FLLU5SYkbcsSY1IApNTqMiTT0H7Mhod9BozBJSdGUPzOQ7H_yYBJDt6kYyEj9X_6Ll19hdgjQlvD

Spoiler alert: The Violet is pretty great, but some ways off world-class. It follows a U-shaped tuning, the most distinctive part of which is its bass response. The Violet's bass response is characterized by a clean, pronounced sub-bass lift that I can only describe as fun. Still, the Violet's bass intangibles are where it really makes its mark. Most will know of my appreciation for the U12t's BA bass, and if I didn't know better, I'd be inclined to say the Violet uses the same drivers for the bass. The Violet has that slightly brushed quality to transient attack with exemplary macrodynamic ability, slam, and even a tad more thickness than the U12t. Admittedly, between the two for bass, I'd lean toward the Violet; it's a benchmark setter for BA IEMs. The midrange of the Violet is flat throughout the lower-midrange, and then there is a minor upper-midrange suppression not unlike the U12t. It's good, but I do feel that the Violet takes it a step too far here, particularly in the degree with which the pinna compensation has been pulled-down. It's basically the complete opposite of how the Viento approached the upper-midrange. However, the Violet comes back to the Hidition "sound" in the treble. The Violet has good amounts of energy in the mid-treble, lending the Violet to a much more colored presentation. I enjoy this treble response, and the cherry on top is that it displays none of the dirty resonance that the Hidition Viento did.

Speaking of the Viento, the drivers the Violet's using have to be completely different. Decay is fairly clean, more reminiscent of your typical BA monitor. I think I would say the Violet's transients skew toward the middle in speed not unlike the U12t, perhaps a smidge faster. As a whole, the Violet's certainly decently technical. But here's the problem: It's not really as resolving as I think it should be. The recession to the pinna compensation makes the Violet come off as somewhat dull; the treble sparkle isn't sufficient to offset this perception. The staging and layering ability of the Violet are also not as good as the U12t's, much less something like the Annihilator. In fact, I can't help but find the Violet's imaging chops somewhat unremarkable; they're certainly not bad, but "not bad" doesn't cut it for $3300. Macrodynamics, again, are a case of "it's not bad," but "hmm, I think this could be better".

And that's really the Violet's biggest problem: The U12t exists. Sure, it's got some selling points against the U12t, and I'd imagine those who want a more colored sound might even gravitate toward the Violet. But looking at the big picture? The U12t is simply more balanced and technical. It's even harder to make an argument for the Violet when Hidition's tried to establish it in another price tier altogether. In essence, this is an excellent IEM, one that I definitely prefer over the Viento (it doesn't hurt that the Violet's fit is more agreeable), but make no mistake that I think better can be had for less.

Score: 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back