Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #541 of 3,636
IMHO, andro’s are all about finding a source with the right output impedance (low as possible if you want more bass) and a quiet noise floor. I find the Lotoo Paw S1 to be ideal. Zero hiss, low impedance, and the S1’s sound signature synergises well (to my taste at least) with Andromeda.
For Andro 2020, what would you suggest between L&P W2, Lotoo Paw S1 and SP2000. I learned all these sounds good with it but not sure if the synergy factor indeed favours one over the other. I am not sure if by investing in a top dog DAP will indeed be a better choice in the longer run or not since I am looking for that end game SQ ultimately.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #542 of 3,636
For Andro 2020, what would you suggest between L&P W2, Lotoo Paw S1 and SP2000. I learned all these sounds good with it but not sure if the synergy factor indeed favours one over the other. I am not sure if by investing in a top dog DAP will indeed be a better choice in the longer run or not since I am looking for that end game SQ ultimately.
which one of these things is not like the other?

You should buy either the S1 or W2. They provide the same functionality as each other in the same form factor and have roughly equivalent sound quality. I personally prefer the W2, but the S1 is very good. The SP2000 is a high end DAP. It gives you a completely different set of functionality. First question is what form factor do you prefer? Smartphone + Dongle or All in one DAP. If you can afford an SP2000, you can probably afford all 3 products or at least 2 of them as they are complementary to each other. And, unless you are going to purchase a collection of IEMs, an SP2000 might be overkill for an Andro 2020. You can take that money and purchase a collection of IEMs and get a spectacular and diverse sound profile Try a lower end DAP to see how much you like it first. I love my DX160 and I pair it with EE Odin, Thieaudio Monarch and UM MEST. Absolutely glorious sound. If that sound is not sufficient or you, you can enhance it later with a Cayin C9 or purchase a high end DAP to get TOTL sound.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #543 of 3,636
I can’t comment on the W2 + Andro 2020 pair up because I haven’t received my W2 yet. But between the S1 & SP2000, I would take the S1. Obviously there’s a massive price difference between the two, so S1 easily wins there, but even on sound quality alone I think the S1 is a better choice. I personally prefer the slightly warmer, more musical tonality from S1 with Andro 2020 compared to the lean and analytical sound from SP2000.

I’ll let you know how W2 is when it arrives. Hoping it will be in the next week or so :)

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #544 of 3,636
which one of these things is not like the other?

You should buy either the S1 or W2. They provide the same functionality as each other in the same form factor and have roughly equivalent sound quality. I personally prefer the W2, but the S1 is very good. The SP2000 is a high end DAP. It gives you a completely different set of functionality. First question is what form factor do you prefer? Smartphone + Dongle or All in one DAP. If you can afford an SP2000, you can probably afford all 3 products or at least 2 of them as they are complementary to each other. And, unless you are going to purchase a collection of IEMs, an SP2000 might be overkill for an Andro 2020. You can take that money and purchase a collection of IEMs and get a spectacular and diverse sound profile Try a lower end DAP to see how much you like it first. I love my DX160 and I pair it with EE Odin, Thieaudio Monarch and UM MEST. Absolutely glorious sound. If that sound is not sufficient or you, you can enhance it later with a Cayin C9 or purchase a high end DAP to get TOTL sound.
I don't like dongle actually, want something potable but very high SQ. I am also planning to get into headphones in future and maybe HD8XX/Focal Clear or Diana V2. Definitely looking at TOTL sound in smallest size possible. My iPhone does't have USB C port so that means I need dongle to connect another dongle making it clunky and unpractical.

I can’t comment on the W2 + Andro 2020 pair up because I haven’t received my W2 yet. But between the S1 & SP2000, I would take the S1. Obviously there’s a massive price difference between the two, so S1 easily wins there, but even on sound quality alone I think the S1 is a better choice. I personally prefer the slightly warmer, more musical tonality from S1 with Andro 2020 compared to the lean and analytical sound from SP2000.

I’ll let you know how W2 is when it arrives. Hoping it will be in the next week or so :)
Okay, will wait to hear your impressions on the W2. Going to be interesting comparison, if dongle (W2/S1) plays better than DAPs nothing like that.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #545 of 3,636
I don't like dongle actually, want something potable but very high SQ. I am also planning to get into headphones in future and maybe HD8XX/Focal Clear or Diana V2. Definitely looking at TOTL sound in smallest size possible. My iPhone does't have USB C port so that means I need dongle to connect another dongle making it clunky and unpractical.
You do not need a separate dongle to use the S1 or W2. It comes with a USB-C to lightning cable or you can get one.

Also you have more options than you think. Your choice will really depend how much inconvenience you are willing to accept to get the highest quality sound.

For me, when I walk around, I want something light and I am willing to sacrifice a small amount (not a lot) of sound quality. So, I love the DX160 because it is very light, cheap and has very good sound quality. Much higher than my minimum standard. To get TOTL quality, I bought a Cayin C9 to pair with it. I get to try it out next Tuesday. I also have a Chord Hugo 2, so I am hoping it sounds at least as good as that. If you are going to drive headphones as well as IEMs, then a C9 might be a great option to power both. You can also just get a TOTL DAP and that could serve you well for IEMs. It probably won't be your TOTL amp for headphones. You will need to get another desktop system anyway. Good luck making your choice. It's fun figuring out what works best for you.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #546 of 3,636
You do not need a separate dongle to use the S1 or W2. It comes with a USB-C to lightning cable or you can get one.

Also you have more options than you think. Your choice will really depend how much inconvenience you are willing to accept to get the highest quality sound.

For me, when I walk around, I want something light and I am willing to sacrifice a small amount (not a lot) of sound quality. So, I love the DX160 because it is very light, cheap and has very good sound quality. Much higher than my minimum standard. To get TOTL quality, I bought a Cayin C9 to pair with it. I get to try it out next Tuesday. I also have a Chord Hugo 2, so I am hoping it sounds at least as good as that. If you are going to drive headphones as well as IEMs, then a C9 might be a great option to power both. You can also just get a TOTL DAP and that could serve you well for IEMs. It probably won't be your TOTL amp for headphones. You will need to get another desktop system anyway. Good luck making your choice. It's fun figuring out what works best for you.
Actually I really like small and portable headphones/IEMs and that's why perhaps will never get full size headphones or desktop setup in near future. But want to feed all the power that I can so a full size DAP like SP2000 is definitely on my list. Even if I get a dongle it will be a stop gap solution unless it makes the upgrade redundant. Some traits I look forward to in my ideal signature is lush mids accompanied with really tight bass, all in a 3D holographic sphere. Basically it should not feel like I am listening to a portable setup at all, my ideal setup.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #547 of 3,636
I feel like buying Andro2020 ...

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #548 of 3,636
Tanchjim Oxygen Impressions

As Tanchjim’s claim to fame, the Oxygen is often touted as being a Moondrop KXXS (one of my favorite single-DD IEMs) on steroids. So you can imagine that I’ve had my eye on the Oxygen for quite some time. Here, I’d like to give a shoutout to @luisdent & @MRSallee for finally making it possible.

graph-2.png

Bass on the Oxygen curves satisfyingly, striking a tad more into the mid-bass than the KXXS and lending it to more warmth. This Oxygen, in particular, appears to measure with more bass than some other units, so take that for what you will. Gone is the overt-softness to slam the KXXS exhibits down-low, although make no mistake the Oxygen’s bass is still soft by DD standards. It’s mostly just okay, so let’s examine the midrange. Some listeners I know have, ironically, called the Oxygen’s midrange asphyxiating. I’d have to disagree. It’s upper-midrange tilted to be sure, but tonally, it doesn’t trigger any alarm bells. Maybe my ears have just been burned-in from hearing so many Moondrop IEMs at this point, who knows? I do hear this choking characteristic on the Hana, though. Treble on the Oxygen is a good deal more incisive than on the KXXS. Gone is the soft, wispy decay of the KXXS, replaced by more of a mid-treble tilt with pleasing amounts of impact and sparkle. Extension is not superb, but adequate. I do find myself enjoying this treble response. As a whole, I think the Oxygen hits that sweet spot tonally that the Hana and Darling (both overly shouty and with wonky treble responses) just didn't do for me.

The Oxygen is decently technical. Detail is about par with the ER2XR; however, the Oxygen leans smoother and more timbrally pleasing in decay like the KXXS. I think what would stand out most is the Oxygen’s macrodynamic punch. It pushes into dynamic swings harder than the FDX1, ER2XR, KXXS, and a lot of the other single-DD IEMs I’ve heard. The Zen and Luna surpass it in this department, but needless to say those IEM have other issues. I'm just left wanting by the milquetoast bass response; I think that would've aided greatly in perception of this characteristic. The Oxygen also has good imaging. It’s not holographic and it’s still lacking in center image diffusion, mind you, but I hear excellent left-right channel distinction and staging is slightly out-of-head.

Of course, you’ll want an assessment of value. The Oxygen takes a lot of what I like about the KXXS and turns it up a notch. Another close competitor would be the JVC FDX1. Blargh. Sure, the Oxygen’s not quite as technical, but the Oxygen has the FDX1 beat by a mile in timbre and treble response. Then you have the single-DD “bogeyman,” the Etymotic ER2XR. I don’t think the Oxygen is strictly better, but it’s in the same playing field and foils the ER2XR’s narrow staging and darker treble. Furthermore, when one considers that these are all IEMs at the top of their price bracket, well, that certainly does put things into perspective, doesn’t it?

It’s safe to say that the Oxygen is still a very solid IEM even if it’s not nearly as relevant these days with Moondrop breaking into sub-$100 territory with their single DDs. I'd really be hard-pressed to choose between my ER2XR and the Oxygen, as we all know the Etymotic fit is a pretty big barrier to entry. Along these lines, something unexpected is just how tiny the Oxygen is; it’s probably the first IEM I’ve worn where I can lay on my side comfortably in bed. Isolation kind of sucks, but all told? I just might have to pick one of these up for myself.

Score: 6/10

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #549 of 3,636
Tin Audio T5 Impressions

Hot off the press, here we have the latest addition to the Tin lineup, the very creatively named T5.

graph-3.png

This'll be a quick one, simply because the T5 is mediocre. "Mediocre" is a funny word. It's actually the equivalent of the word "average," but it does seem to carry more negative connotations with it. So before I trigger anyone (although most people who read my content know the drill by now), I need to stress that the T5 is not a bad IEM. It's just not a good one either, which means it's a straight beeline into the ever-growing pit of IEMs I don't care too much about.

I think a lot of people were hoping for an upgrade to the Tin T4. For reference, the T4 is a pretty solid IEM and one of the easier sub-$100 recommendations I can make. Well, the T5 is not an upgrade. It is much more closely V-shaped and, in my opinion, not for the better. The bass on the T5 is unremarkable (honestly, it's pretty hard to screw this part up), but the midrange is where things get strange. Male vocalists sound somewhere between bloated and sucked-out, while female vocalists have a glassy quality to their voice, like their upper-harmonics have been upwards-compressed. It simply sounds tonally off. I also dislike the treble of the T5. It sounds chalky thanks to the overt 5kHz peak - like the attack extends through further than it should - and generally hard to listen to. No bueno on any fronts here, and I'm not sure why Tin Audio decided to go in this direction. They had a perfectly good sound signature with the T4; it's all the more perplexing, then, how we got something like this.

Technicalities are more or less a case of what you'd expect for the price. They're unremarkable to the extent of which I believe there's neither anything worth highlighting nor criticizing. While it might seem like a cop-out, I'd prefer not to keep regurgitating the same descriptors for IEMs like this that are so...again, that word comes to mind. The T5 is a prime example of why I dislike seeing all these "updates" to IEMs. In essence, I can never tell if it's genuinely an improvement or not until I get my own hands on it: Sorry, but this one isn't.

Score: 3/10

That out of the way, here’s a cool song I stumbled upon just the other day:

Never played the video game, but this is awesome. It has some really nice macrodynamic transitions and staging. I also love how they've left a lot of the vocalist's breathing; that sense of rawness is something I quite enjoy. This'll be one of my new test tracks.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #550 of 3,636
Tin Audio T5 Impressions

Hot off the press, here we have the latest addition to the Tin lineup, the very creatively named T5.

graph-3.png

This'll be a quick one, simply because the T5 is mediocre. "Mediocre" is a funny word. It's actually the equivalent of the word "average," but it does seem to carry more negative connotations with it. So before I trigger anyone (although most people who read my content know the drill by now), I need to stress that the T5 is not a bad IEM. It's just not a good one either, which means it's a straight beeline into the ever-growing pit of IEMs I don't care too much about.

I think a lot of people were hoping for an upgrade to the Tin T4. For reference, the T4 is a pretty solid IEM and one of the easier sub-$100 recommendations I can make. Well, the T5 is not an upgrade. It is much more closely V-shaped and, in my opinion, not for the better. The bass on the T5 is unremarkable (honestly, it's pretty hard to screw this part up), but the midrange is where things get strange. Male vocalists sound somewhere between bloated and sucked-out, while female vocalists have a glassy quality to their voice, like their upper-harmonics have been upwards-compressed. It simply sounds tonally off. I also dislike the treble of the T5. It sounds chalky thanks to the overt 5kHz peak - like the attack extends through further than it should - and generally hard to listen to. No bueno on any fronts here, and I'm not sure why Tin Audio decided to go in this direction. They had a perfectly good sound signature with the T4; it's all the more perplexing, then, how we got something like this.

Technicalities are more or less a case of what you'd expect for the price. They're unremarkable to the extent of which I believe there's neither anything worth highlighting nor criticizing. While it might seem like a cop-out, I'd prefer not to keep regurgitating the same descriptors for IEMs like this that are so...again, that word comes to mind. The T5 is a prime example of why I dislike seeing all these "updates" to IEMs. In essence, I can never tell if it's genuinely an improvement or not until I get my own hands on it: Sorry, but this one isn't.

Score: 3/10

That out of the way, here’s a cool song I stumbled upon just the other day:

Never played the video game, but this is awesome. It has some really nice macrodynamic transitions and staging. I also love how they've left a lot of the vocalist's breathing; that sense of rawness is something I quite enjoy. This'll be one of my new test tracks.

You havent heard nier automata´s OST??? NANI!!!

Well, then:

Also, since you liked the "weight of the world" maybe you like the 8-bit version (not fanmade btw, its official) as well:

May 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #552 of 3,636
Tanchjim Oxygen Impressions

As Tanchjim’s claim to fame, the Oxygen is often touted as being a Moondrop KXXS (one of my favorite single-DD IEMs) on steroids. So you can imagine that I’ve had my eye on the Oxygen for quite some time. Here, I’d like to give a shoutout to @luisdent & @MRSallee for finally making it possible.

graph-2.png

Bass on the Oxygen curves satisfyingly, striking a tad more into the mid-bass than the KXXS and lending it to more warmth. This Oxygen, in particular, appears to measure with more bass than some other units, so take that for what you will. Gone is the overt-softness to slam the KXXS exhibits down-low, although make no mistake the Oxygen’s bass is still soft by DD standards. It’s mostly just okay, so let’s examine the midrange. Some listeners I know have, ironically, called the Oxygen’s midrange asphyxiating. I’d have to disagree. It’s upper-midrange tilted to be sure, but tonally, it doesn’t trigger any alarm bells. Maybe my ears have just been burned-in from hearing so many Moondrop IEMs at this point, who knows? I do hear this choking characteristic on the Hana, though. Treble on the Oxygen is a good deal more incisive than on the KXXS. Gone is the soft, wispy decay of the KXXS, replaced by more of a mid-treble tilt with pleasing amounts of impact and sparkle. Extension is not superb, but adequate. I do find myself enjoying this treble response. As a whole, I think the Oxygen hits that sweet spot tonally that the Hana and Darling (both overly shouty and with wonky treble responses) just didn't do for me.

The Oxygen is decently technical. Detail is about par with the ER2XR; however, the Oxygen leans smoother and more timbrally pleasing in decay like the KXXS. I think what would stand out most is the Oxygen’s macrodynamic punch. It pushes into dynamic swings harder than the FDX1, ER2XR, KXXS, and a lot of the other single-DD IEMs I’ve heard. The Zen and Luna surpass it in this department, but needless to say those IEM have other issues. I'm just left wanting by the milquetoast bass response; I think that would've aided greatly in perception of this characteristic. The Oxygen also has good imaging. It’s not holographic and it’s still lacking in center image diffusion, mind you, but I hear excellent left-right channel distinction and staging is slightly out-of-head.

Of course, you’ll want an assessment of value. The Oxygen takes a lot of what I like about the KXXS and turns it up a notch. Another close competitor would be the JVC FDX1. Blargh. Sure, the Oxygen’s not quite as technical, but the Oxygen has the FDX1 beat by a mile in timbre and treble response. Then you have the single-DD “bogeyman,” the Etymotic ER2XR. I don’t think the Oxygen is strictly better, but it’s in the same playing field and foils the ER2XR’s narrow staging and darker treble. Furthermore, when one considers that these are all IEMs at the top of their price bracket, well, that certainly does put things into perspective, doesn’t it?

It’s safe to say that the Oxygen is still a very solid IEM even if it’s not nearly as relevant these days with Moondrop breaking into sub-$100 territory with their single DDs. I'd really be hard-pressed to choose between my ER2XR and the Oxygen, as we all know the Etymotic fit is a pretty big barrier to entry. Along these lines, something unexpected is just how tiny the Oxygen is; it’s probably the first IEM I’ve worn where I can lay on my side comfortably in bed. Isolation kind of sucks, but all told? I just might have to pick one of these up for myself.

Score: 6/10
I'd be curious to see the response if you get one. I'm playing with pinhole tip mods that reduce the bass to near hana levels on my unit. also, you need some brown filters in your er2xr. don't question, just go do it. :wink:

May 3, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #553 of 3,636
I'd be curious to see the response if you get one. I'm playing with pinhole tip mods that reduce the bass to near hana levels on my unit. also, you need some brown filters in your er2xr. don't question, just go do it. :wink:

Haha I tried MRS's brown filter ER2XR a while back. That extra forwardness in the midrange isn't for me, but I know why you guys like it. Seems that you guys also prefer the Oxygen with less bass which makes sense.

May 3, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #554 of 3,636
Haha I tried MRS's brown filter ER2XR a while back. That extra forwardness in the midrange isn't for me, but I know why you guys like it. Seems that you guys also prefer the Oxygen with less bass which makes sense.
:wink: i get it. that 2-3k is a very personal thing. i like my treble cold as ice. haha.

May 3, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #555 of 3,636
How I Define Imaging (and thoughts on how the phenomenon occurs)

Like many terms slung around in the audio world, imaging has as many definitions as there are opinions: one won't find a concrete definition of what it constitutes. Most already know that I don't think most IEMs have good imaging. I'm not alone in this sentiment either, with many in my audio circle holding similar opinions. So here, I'll try to outline what I am listening for when I assess imaging, and why the vast majority of IEMs - oh, and headphones - are mediocre for this characteristic of sound to my ears. Do understand that what I outline here is my interpretation only, and I'm always working to understand more about this stuff. Important terms are in bold.

First, I'm no expert, but I can tell you imaging is influenced a good deal by what tracks you're listening to specifically. There are some tracks that are better for imaging than others by virtue of how they have been mastered. I will not explore this variable further, and assume that we are using the "best" tracks for imaging. Imaging itself can be broken down into several subsets. However, at its core, it is largely a reference to the extent to which a transducer is able to shape the perception of the "room" around the listener. So by extension, soundstage is a derivative of imaging and they are not distinct. Another subset of imaging that is commonly referred to is positional accuracy. This is simply the degree to which a transducer is able to localize instruments on the soundstage; then, the degree to which a listener can pinpoint them. This has overlap with layering, the space, or sense of physicality, between instruments on the stage. A headphone like the HD6XX, for example, has pretty terrible imaging despite it sounding reasonably "open" in terms of layering. Some will also wonder about terms like holographic or "3D" imaging. I dislike these phrases, and they're slung around far too generously in my opinion. This is the perception with which instruments - usually percussive ones - "float" on the soundstage. By extension, this plays into soundstage height and the way an IEM shapes the walls of the stage. The IEMs that qualify as being holographic to me are the few and far between.

A phrase that I use quite often in my writing is center image. Like the phrase implies, this is the field of sound that comes from dead center in front of a listener. Within the context of headphones and IEMs, it is a psychoacoustic illusion that comes from the perception of having two channels in conjunction. There are many IEMs that may have center image, but that cannot project it. This is most obvious to me when focusing on the positioning of vocals on the stage. Transducers that are able to project the center image create what I perceive as soundstage depth. So you can imagine that most IEMs that I have heard do not have much - or have at all - soundstage depth. Hell, even many headphones I've heard do not have soundstage depth. The HD800S (the lauded king of soundstage by the way) is a prime example; vocals sound like they are coming - positionally - from inside my head. In general, I would say I put a strong priority on center image when assessing imaging.

Some will wonder about the correlation between imaging and frequency response. There is definitely a strong one, particularly with respect to treble. In my experience, no IEM that has had good imaging has had poor treble extension. But the opposite does not hold true; I have heard many IEMs with excellent treble extension and unremarkable imaging. So what accounts for this distinction?

First, I want to plug an excellent point brought up by luisdent after I made this post, and that is our expectation of what constitutes a real-life, listening environment. In real-life, there are “reverb trails, room ambiance, positional precision, etc. When extension suffers, our ears can tell something is off. We hear high frequencies in room ambiance that we may not realize, and all instruments have interactions at that region and others as well. This allows the realism of the recording to come through which is heard as amazing depth or soundstage”. That aside, it can be hard to say due to confounding variables. For example, standouts in imaging like the Andromeda 2020, Tia Trio, and Tia Fourte all make use of acoustic chambers. But with the likes of IEMs like the U12T and the Ikko OH10, we can isolate some of these variables. I suspect "good" imaging with these IEMs occurs not necessarily due to sheer extension, but rather due to the contrast between their post-10kHZ dips and ~15kHz peaks. This lends to unique treble reverb and, by extension, to the way the stage is imaged. Similarly, dips in frequency response can lend to the perception of more open staging. The most obvious way this is achieved is by dipping 3-4kHz to make the upper-midrange sound more distant, thus increasing perceived depth. Most of my favorite IEMs tend to make use of this tuning trick, and although I have not heard it yet, I can surmise from frequency response that this is how the much-hyped Oriolus Trailili achieves its staging.

I want to stress that this is neither intended to be an authoritative post on imaging, nor need it apply to how you personally perceive imaging. This is simply how I understand it, and hopefully, this helps explain why I think very few transducers have good imaging overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back