Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jan 17, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #316 of 3,654
" FH3's bass doesn't hold a candle to the MH755 "

Wow. I think we tried different headphones.

Well, you’re absolutely entitled to your own opinion haha. For what it’s worth, I'm really picky about my bass; I think the MH755 and ER2XR are the only IEMs I’ve praised for bass in the sub-$200 range.

Also keep up the awesome video reviews! :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #317 of 3,654
I hope you have the iBasso IT07, FiiO FD5, Dunu Zen, and UM 3DT queued up to review sometime. :ksc75smile:

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #318 of 3,654
I hope you have the iBasso IT07, FiiO FD5, Dunu Zen, and UM 3DT queued up to review sometime. :ksc75smile:

I’ll try to get my hands on some of these, but honestly, it’s difficult given how quickly a lot of this stuff gets churned out. By the time I get it, the hype is normally already over haha.

The Zen will happen for sure though, it’s just a matter of when.

I believe Linsoul will also be sending me the SeeAudio Yume (that brand some of you guys were interested in a while back) and the Tanchjim Oxygen along w/ the replacement Clairvoyance. The Yume looks interesting if the graph shown on the product page is accurate.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #319 of 3,654
I’ll try to get my hands on some of these, but honestly, it’s difficult given how quickly a lot of this stuff gets churned out. By the time I get it, the hype is normally already over haha.

The Zen will happen for sure though, it’s just a matter of when.

I believe Linsoul will also be sending me the SeeAudio Yume (that brand some of you guys were interested in a while back) and the Tanchjim Oxygen along w/ the replacement Clairvoyance. The Yume looks interesting if the graph shown on the product page is accurate.
Well, my hope is that those IEMs will be so good, that they will be around for a long time to come.

Linsoul is gonna start selling SeeAudio internationally? That‘s great! I think they’ve already started gaining popularity, at least in Mainland China. I think the SeeAudio Neo is suspected to be very similar to the Anole VX.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #320 of 3,654
Well, you’re absolutely entitled to your own opinion haha. For what it’s worth, I'm really picky about my bass; I think the MH755 and ER2XR are the only IEMs I’ve praised for bass in the sub-$200 range.

I love your reviews because you really do give the pluses and minuses of each IEM. I am interested in getting an IEM primarily for its bass response. What are the best IEMs for high quality bass that maintains some semblance of tonal balance? I am not a basshead but I love great bass. I want it to rumble, but I want to enjoy the music primarily with great bass.

If you can indulge me in a completely different question, on the opposite end of the spectrum, what IEMs do you think are best for Classical (orchestral) music and Big Band Jazz?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #321 of 3,654
Well, my hope is that those IEMs will be so good, that they will be around for a long time to come.

Linsoul is gonna start selling SeeAudio internationally? That‘s great! I think they’ve already started gaining popularity, at least in Mainland China. I think the SeeAudio Neo is suspected to be very similar to the Anole VX.
Definitely hope those iems are relevant for a long time.

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #322 of 3,654
I love your reviews because you really do give the pluses and minuses of each IEM. I am interested in getting an IEM primarily for its bass response. What are the best IEMs for high quality bass that maintains some semblance of tonal balance? I am not a basshead but I love great bass. I want it to rumble, but I want to enjoy the music primarily with great bass.

If you can indulge me in a completely different question, on the opposite end of the spectrum, what IEMs do you think are best for Classical (orchestral) music and Big Band Jazz?

Thanks! You didn't mention a budget which might be helpful narrowing it down. Although I'm not the biggest fan of it, the Monarch does come to mind. Its bass is concentrated almost exclusively in the sub-100hZ region (so plenty of rumble even if it doesn't slam very hard) and the rest of the tonality is quite balanced. B2 Dusk is another really nice pick. Unfortunately, these IEMs have their issues on the intangible side of things despite how well they've been tuned. Most of the IEMs with truly great bass, take for example the IER-Z1R or tia Trio, sacrifice some tonal balance and tend to be more V-shaped.

While I don't listen to those genres you mentioned very much (the latter at all), I know Resolve likes the U12t for that stuff. I could see the MEST flying well for classical too.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #323 of 3,654
Thanks! You didn't mention a budget which might be helpful narrowing it down. Although I'm not the biggest fan of it, the Monarch does come to mind. Its bass is concentrated almost exclusively in the sub-100hZ region (so plenty of rumble even if it doesn't slam very hard) and the rest of the tonality is quite balanced. B2 Dusk is another really nice pick. Unfortunately, these IEMs have their issues on the intangible side of things despite how well they've been tuned. Most of the IEMs with truly great bass, take for example the IER-Z1R or tia Trio, sacrifice some tonal balance and tend to be more V-shaped.

While I don't listen to those genres you mentioned very much (the latter at all), I know Resolve likes the U12t for that stuff. I could see the MEST flying well for classical too.
I am looking for a high end IEM less than $2000. I own the Dusk and I think it has the best tonal balance I've heard. I love listening to them. If it had better treble extension, I think it would be perfect. I am looking for something like a high end Dusk. I've heard the Clairvoyance might be it tonally, but I want world class bass to go along with it. I've heard the U12t and I liked them a lot, but I'd like to have DD bass.

Maybe something like Clairvoyance tonality, IER-z1r bass, and U12t details and resolution. What the heck. Why not ask for everything. Price it at $1500.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #324 of 3,654
I am looking for a high end IEM less than $2000. I own the Dusk and I think it has the best tonal balance I've heard. I love listening to them. If it had better treble extension, I think it would be perfect. I am looking for something like a high end Dusk. I've heard the Clairvoyance might be it tonally, but I want world class bass to go along with it. I've heard the U12t and I liked them a lot, but I'd like to have DD bass.

Maybe something like Clairvoyance tonality, IER-z1r bass, and U12t details and resolution. What the heck. Why not ask for everything. Price it at $1500.
I would seriously look into the iBasso IT07. Per @tgx78, it is his favorite IEM currently for bass quality, with good quantity. Classical music is his favorite music genre, and it has been one of his favorite IEMs for classical music. I personally think the MEST has really good quality bass, and the overall tuning does suit classical music, with well extended treble, but the timbral accuracy is not the best for classical music.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #325 of 3,654
Campfire Dorado & Vega 2020 Impressions

vegadorado.jpg

As requested by @Tiax

I'm not going to cover these too closely because there's not much that needs to be said. Both are heavily bloated. Bass is perplexingly soft with dynamic slam severely lacking for dynamic driver bass. The Dorado is slightly more resolving in the midrange and treble thanks to its single BA. Both have a lower-treble peak at around 5kHz to try and offset the gobs of bass, with a subsequent dip, and then another peak on the Dorado at 8kHz (irrespective of the coupler resonance, I sine swept them to check). That peak...oof, sounds like +5db over 7kHz. Neither IEMs have much technical performance to speak of with the Vega sounding fairly downwards-compressed in general. Probably a case of the tuning killing any technicalities if there were any, which is a bummer as most of CA's stuff tends to be fairly technical at least. If I had to choose between the lesser of two evils, I really don't know which one I'd go for. I could see a case being made for either - the Vega to escape the treble peak, or the Dorado for the marginal gains in resolution.

Anyways, please don't get me wrong. The Andro 2020? I love the Andro 2020 to death. The Solaris 2020 and the Ara? Sure, I wasn't the biggest fan of them, but at least I could make a case for them having their niche. By comparison, the Dorado and Vega are just too far lost in the pursuit of flavor. Yeah, sure, they're definitely listenable. But so is the Sony MH755 which, in my opinion, nails this type of sound better all-round with actual technicalities to boot. Usual disclaimer that YMMV, these are just impressions, etc.

TL;DR
Dorado 2020: Mud
Vega 2020: More mud

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #326 of 3,654
Thank you, that was the last nail in the coffin for me haha.
Dorado 2020 look great and should be pretty comfortable too, but i'm sure now that the sound is not for me, not at this price.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #327 of 3,654

Right back at cha! No worries, I was just like wow.. my mh755 sounded a bit bloaty but I have only tried one set and maybe they were fakes.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #328 of 3,654
I would seriously look into the iBasso IT07. Per @tgx78, it is his favorite IEM currently for bass quality, with good quantity. Classical music is his favorite music genre, and it has been one of his favorite IEMs for classical music. I personally think the MEST has really good quality bass, and the overall tuning does suit classical music, with well extended treble, but the timbral accuracy is not the best for classical music.
I was originally going to order a Monarch. I was ready to place the order, then I found out it was a 3 month time to get it, so I put that purchase on hold. I think after looking at most of the available purchase options that I am back to wanting to purchase that IEM. I think I confused people with 2 questions. I want an IEM that is great with bass and a different IEM for Classical music unless there is a unicorn out there that can do both outstandingly well. My only real hesitancy at this point is that the Clairvoyance has rated highly in my mind after hearing the Dusks. I didn't realize just how important tuning can be. Since I am a former musician, I should have known better. Given the price of the Monarch, buying it is low risk.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #329 of 3,654
I was originally going to order a Monarch. I was ready to place the order, then I found out it was a 3 month time to get it, so I put that purchase on hold. I think after looking at most of the available purchase options that I am back to wanting to purchase that IEM. I think I confused people with 2 questions. I want an IEM that is great with bass and a different IEM for Classical music unless there is a unicorn out there that can do both outstandingly well. My only real hesitancy at this point is that the Clairvoyance has rated highly in my mind after hearing the Dusks. I didn't realize just how important tuning can be. Since I am a former musician, I should have known better. Given the price of the Monarch, buying it is low risk.
I had heard final audio a8000 was great for classical music but i´m not sure how the peaks affect other music or even classical.
Some seem to love it, others seem to hate it. I haven´t heard it yet myself!

Also curious though as I'm also a classical / orchestral fan :)

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #330 of 3,654
I had heard final audio a8000 was great for classical music but i´m not sure how the peaks affect other music or even classical.
Some seem to love it, others seem to hate it. I haven´t heard it yet myself!

Also curious though as I'm also a classical / orchestral fan :)
I want something as close to my HD800S in IEM form as possible for classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back