Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Feb 9, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,981 of 3,652
I couldn’t imagine trying to keep up with constantly new hype train IEMs and the competing IEMs to those as a reviewer.

Things move too fast and outside of this being a full time job, it’s rough to keep going back to every hyped up IEM when comparing to the new stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #1,984 of 3,652
Heya @Precogvision, what would be your list for an all-rounder in a lot of genres? Doesn't need to be able to do everything, but atleast something you can listen to pretty much anything, can do up to $2500. Trying to look for that sweet flagship IEM to stop with.

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,985 of 3,652
Heya @Precogvision, what would be your list for an all-rounder in a lot of genres? Doesn't need to be able to do everything, but atleast something you can listen to pretty much anything, can do up to $2500. Trying to look for that sweet flagship IEM to stop with.
I’m going to take a wiiiiiiiiild guess………….u12t

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #1,986 of 3,652
I’m going to take a wiiiiiiiiild guess………….u12t
Well that's definitely one of them I bet. Although I was thinking if he can make a short list of other options. Plan to demo some of them if I can so I can get one I can really prefer.

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,988 of 3,652

The sweet spot for the all-rounders actually tends to be around a grand in my opinion. At least when I think all-rounder, it brings to mind IEMs that aggregate around Crinacle's style of tuning. Some other good ones to give a listen:
  • 64A U6t (probably the most "colored" out of these IEMs)
  • Moondrop B2: Dusk
  • Shuoer EJ07M
  • Softears RSV
  • Symphonium Helios
Flagship IEMs tend to be more colored and catering towards specific niches. I guess the U12t would be the closest to an all-rounder out of the flagship IEMs I've heard, though.

FHE Eclipse impressions/review?
I don't really like it, so my thoughts'll probably just go in the full-review. Hoping to get that done by early next week.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #1,990 of 3,652
Tripowin x HBB Olina Impressions

Configuration: 1DD
Price: $99
Unit provided for review courtesy of HBB & Linsoul.

graph-8.png

Pleasantly surprised to hear the Olina, as I recall the Tripowin Mele from a while back not being too impressive. The Mele generally sounded too bassy and too dark; the Olina straddles that fine balance more aptly. Indeed, the Olina's frequency response is highly reminiscent of Moondrop and Tanchjim's single-DD IEMs, and perhaps it should be expected: from conversations with HBB, I am told that the Olina's dynamic driver is at least sourced from the same factory that supplied the Tanchjim Oxygen's driver. As for whether the Olina sounds the same, I'd suggest "not quite from memory". I believe that the Oxygen and Hana 2021 were slightly more refined in the technical department than the Olina. This is likely attributable to the other components that have gone into the construction of the respective IEMs, unit variance, and aural memory just being fickle like that.

The treble response of the Olina is also a little more divisive due to the nature of its upper-treble. It has a resonance peak at ~13kHz (I want to say it's slightly earlier and stronger in amplitude than some of the other single-DD IEMs above) lending to some spice up top. I've made clear in the past that I don't really mind these types of peaks, as they beget a sense of shimmer I enjoy. However, some might find an IEM like the Moondrop Kato to be more refined in this area. Outside of this, my thoughts on the Olina could basically be a re-hash of my thoughts on the aforementioned single-DD IEMs. I'd characterize the Olina's tuning as a slightly warm V-shape; slightly upper-midrange leaning with some warmth in the lower-midrange. Bring in the above-neutral bass and (mostly) smooth treble, and you have a really natural sound; the type of set that just sounds right when you put them on. Indeed, most criticisms of the Olian's sound would be predicated on technicalities which are your usual B-grade affair. Bass is generally slightly pillowy and undefined; close to par with the Moondrop Kato for slam in A/B. Imaging might be a little more expansive than your usual single-DD, but the Olina doesn't really trigger the out-of-head feeling I recall the Oxygen and Hana 2021 sporting.

From head-to-toe, the Olina is a strong $100 performer with few weaknesses; it neatly slots in with budget titans like the DUNU Titan S (heh) and Moondrop Aria. The Titan S for the thinnest, most analytical listen. The Aria for the warmest and most pillowy. The Olina for the middle ground. I'd be remiss to mention that I tire of this wheel being reinvented so many times (c'mon where are the flagship DDs at?), but it's hard to complain with the price reductions and subtle refinements. Recommended.

Score: 5/10

All critical listening was done off my iBasso DX300.

Attachments

• graph-8.png
    graph-8.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #1,991 of 3,652

Pleasantly surprised to hear the Olina, as I recall the Tripowin Mele from a while back not being too impressive. The Mele generally sounded too bassy and too dark; the Olina straddles that fine balance more aptly. Indeed, the Olina's frequency response is highly reminiscent of Moondrop and Tanchjim's single-DD IEMs, and perhaps it should be expected: from conversations with HBB, I am told that the Olina's dynamic driver is at least sourced from the same factory that supplied the Tanchjim Oxygen's driver. As for whether the Olina sounds the same, I'd suggest "not quite from memory". I believe that the Oxygen and Hana 2021 were slightly more refined in the technical department than the Olina. This is likely attributable to the other components that have gone into the construction of the respective IEMs, unit variance, and aural memory just being fickle like that.

The treble response of the Olina is also a little more divisive due to the nature of its upper-treble. It has a resonance peak at ~13kHz (I want to say it's slightly earlier and stronger in amplitude than some of the other single-DD IEMs above) lending to some spice up top. I've made clear in the past that I don't really mind these types of peaks, as they beget a sense of shimmer I enjoy. However, some might find an IEM like the Moondrop Kato to be more refined in this area. Outside of this, my thoughts on the Olina could basically be a re-hash of my thoughts on the aforementioned single-DD IEMs. I'd characterize the Olina's tuning as a slightly warm V-shape; slightly upper-midrange leaning with some warmth in the lower-midrange. Bring in the above-neutral bass and (mostly) smooth treble, and you have a really natural sound; the type of set that just sounds right when you put them on. Indeed, most criticisms of the Olian's sound would be predicated on technicalities which are your usual B-grade affair. Bass is generally slightly pillowy and undefined; close to par with the Moondrop Kato for slam in A/B. Imaging might be a little more expansive than your usual single-DD, but the Olina doesn't really trigger the out-of-head feeling I recall the Oxygen and Hana 2021 sporting.

From head-to-toe, the Olina is a strong $100 performer with few weaknesses; it neatly slots in with budget titans like the DUNU Titan S (heh) and Moondrop Aria. The Titan S for the thinnest, most analytical listen. The Aria for the warmest and most pillowy. The Olina for the middle ground. I'd be remiss to mention that I tire of this wheel being reinvented so many times (c'mon where are the flagship DDs at?), but it's hard to complain with the price reductions and subtle refinements. Recommended.

Thanks for your words, I love your takes. Very curious about your Tea2's opinion 🤟

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,992 of 3,652

graph-8.png

Hopefully there will be direct comparison with Oxygen. As such, this sounds underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back