Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,966 of 3,654
Look forward to your Olina versus Oxygen impressions!

The Tripowin Olina is on a massive hype-train on Facebook and social media, purportedly it graphs similarly and uses the same driver as the Oxygen (I think this driver part was claimed by BGGAR). Well the same driver claim needs to be verified independently, as a lot of CHIFI are claiming beryllium drivers or the latest hyped materials, but on the shell being taken apart, some were noted to have fake claims: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bgv...d-new-ba-series.894331/page-327#post-15987274

Okay, even if the drivers and graphs are similar, between the Oxygen and the Olina, the shells are totally different. The shell size, nozzle sizing, shell material, dampers etc all affect resonances and will affect the sound. The Oxygen has a very short nozzle for instance, which supposedly has a part in the sound (the guy who tuned the Oxygen also tuned the BLON BL-03 which has a short nozzle).

Even if 2 graphs look the same, graphs don't tell the full story. There are some components such as timbral accuracy, imaging, dynamics, micro-details, instrument separation that cannot be gleaned from a standard FR graph.

Case in point: KZ ZSN Pro X and the TOTL Final Audio A8000 graph similarly but sound miles apart.
fcdaf979-6f03-42ab-9a07-7c9f55e6c0e9.jpeg

I realize some of the folks posting reviews of the Olina on social media haven't even heard the Oxygen before, so I'm taking this one with a huge pinch of salt. Look forward to your review once you get the Olina!
I don't have the Oxygen (or Mele) but I did submit my Olina review yesterday, it should be published by Feb 10 which is the date Linsoul requested I told off till.

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #1,967 of 3,654
I don't have the Oxygen (or Mele) but I did submit my Olina review yesterday, it should be published by Feb 10 which is the date Linsoul requested I told off till.

K look forward to your review too.

Seems they are having a review embargo!

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #1,968 of 3,654
K look forward to your review too.

Seems they are having a review embargo!

I'm loving Olina. It's been a breeze to write about it, even when I have other sets near.

It's indeed close to Oxygen, in my opinion.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #1,969 of 3,654
I'm loving Olina. It's been a breeze to write about it, even when I have other sets near.

It's indeed close to Oxygen, in my opinion.

What a good time to be IEM lover. Good sound of yester-years rapidly becomes affordable sound of this year

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #1,970 of 3,654
Look forward to your Olina versus Oxygen impressions!

The Tripowin Olina is on a massive hype-train on Facebook and social media, purportedly it graphs similarly and uses the same driver as the Oxygen (I think this driver part was claimed by BGGAR). Well the same driver claim needs to be verified independently, as a lot of CHIFI are claiming beryllium drivers or the latest hyped materials, but on the shell being taken apart, some were noted to have fake claims: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bgv...d-new-ba-series.894331/page-327#post-15987274

Okay, even if the drivers and graphs are similar, between the Oxygen and the Olina, the shells are totally different. The shell size, nozzle sizing, shell material, dampers etc all affect resonances and will affect the sound. The Oxygen has a very short nozzle for instance, which supposedly has a part in the sound (the guy who tuned the Oxygen also tuned the BLON BL-03 which has a short nozzle).

Even if 2 graphs look the same, graphs don't tell the full story. There are some components such as timbral accuracy, imaging, dynamics, micro-details, instrument separation that cannot be gleaned from a standard FR graph.

Case in point: KZ ZSN Pro X and the TOTL Final Audio A8000 graph similarly but sound miles apart.
fcdaf979-6f03-42ab-9a07-7c9f55e6c0e9.jpeg

I realize some of the folks posting reviews of the Olina on social media haven't even heard the Oxygen before, so I'm taking this one with a huge pinch of salt. Look forward to your review once you get the Olina!

Agree with the points of FR. FD3 and FD5 (Fiio) have nearly identical FR but sound quite different in A/B test.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,973 of 3,654
I keep getting the question is Olina an exact O2 clone. OK for one thing I haven't heard the final tuning. For 2 things, I can see some very small differences in the graph, mostly around 5k which Olina might be a hair more forgiving. For 3 things, I personally don't want an O2 clone. It's the same driver, slightly different shell, tiny differences. It's its own animal. Also the driver is so good, I tried quite a few tunings, some of which were super killer and some were not. I am NOT making Olina, just playing with the driver and the Mele shell. The driver iself is super good.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,974 of 3,654
If you're not keen on the Hana 2021's aesthetic, perhaps you could consider the HBB Olina. I read somewhere it's supposed to be using the same driver as the Oxygen/Hana 2021. I should have one on the way for review soon.

I'll wait for your impression / review, Thanks for the headsup. A comparison to the Hana 2021 would be great also.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,975 of 3,654
I keep getting the question is Olina an exact O2 clone. OK for one thing I haven't heard the final tuning. For 2 things, I can see some very small differences in the graph, mostly around 5k which Olina might be a hair more forgiving. For 3 things, I personally don't want an O2 clone. It's the same driver, slightly different shell, tiny differences. It's its own animal. Also the driver is so good, I tried quite a few tunings, some of which were super killer and some were not. I am NOT making Olina, just playing with the driver and the Mele shell. The driver iself is super good.

Hi, may I ask what exactly does one do to tune a DD IEM? Adjusting foam in front of and behind the driver?

And how do you assess that a DD is good?

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,976 of 3,654
Well... im conflicted since its taken me months to understand what is going on. Ill put out some things. Driver distance from eardrum, front air volume, back air volume, shape of front bore driver mounting area, bore length and width, and also front and back vents w/tuning paper, AND also tuning foam in front of driver. AND you can do things with electronics.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,977 of 3,654
Hi, may I ask what exactly does one do to tune a DD IEM? Adjusting foam in front of and behind the driver?

And how do you assess that a DD is good?
I had a fascinating conversation with Thom from DUNU at CanJam SoCal in regards to the changes made regarding their Zen vs Zen Pro. He said that they completely redesigned the driver including changing the tension around the the dome surrounding. He did a much better job of explaining than I just did, but a lot of the time manufacturers have to retune the actual driver itself along with or instead of venting in front of and behind the driver.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #1,978 of 3,654
I had a fascinating conversation with Thom from DUNU at CanJam SoCal in regards to the changes made regarding their Zen vs Zen Pro. He said that they completely redesigned the driver including changing the tension around the the dome surrounding. He did a much better job of explaining than I just did, but a lot of the time manufacturers have to retune the actual driver itself along with or instead of venting in front of and behind the driver.

I’m a fan of Tom from Dunu as well. Such a knowledgeable guy who is humble enough to admit when he does not know something.

The webpage of Final Audio MAKE series also have a bunch of details. It seems they tune using vents and foams.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #1,979 of 3,654
I'm honestly tired of all these hype trains, mostly caused by the insanely fast chi-fi market that only seems to get more saturated as time goes on.

Most hype trains are forgotten within a few weeks because of this, even "Blessed" IEMs like the 7hz Timeless aren't safe anymore given that the Shouer S12 is strong competition.

The Olina is a huge steal if it has the same technicalities as the 02 which I somewhat doubt given how mediocre the Mele's technicalities are, almost on par with the 03.

I'll wait for Precog to talk about the Olina before I pull any triggers.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #1,980 of 3,654
I'm honestly tired of all these hype trains, mostly caused by the insanely fast chi-fi market that only seems to get more saturated as time goes on.

Most hype trains are forgotten within a few weeks because of this, even "Blessed" IEMs like the 7hz Timeless aren't safe anymore given that the Shouer S12 is strong competition.

The Olina is a huge steal if it has the same technicalities as the 02 which I somewhat doubt given how mediocre the Mele's technicalities are, almost on par with the 03.

I'll wait for Precog to talk about the Olina before I pull any triggers.

Agree. I feel like as long as an IEM is cheap and does not suck entirely, and has some big personalities on its side, it would be “insanely good”, “giant killer” (because the famous so and so say so). I also write reviews, but this round of lea, olina, or whatever coming out recently kill my excitement about this hobby somehow.

People really need to A/B their gear more.

On the other hand, it’s great that the industry moves so fast. More people have the chance to listen to excellent stuffs at a lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back